Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:40 (Ref:2137396)   #51
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indianapolis has four turns with absolutely no run-off and what do they do?

Barriers.
Bloody good ones.

That's what Turn 8 needs.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2137398)   #52
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I will cop some flak for the following comments but that track is absolutely dangerous. As if the concrete walls with little to no runoff and undulating surface isn't enough, and high kerbs are a definite car killer. If the suspension ever fails on the car, or, as we've seen so often this weekend, a flat tyre results, then the driver is just a passenger inside a high speed projectile.

Adelaide is a dangerous circuit by any measure. I'm just one of those motorsport fans who hates to see carnage on the track. I fear the worst when a car hits turn 8 as you can never tell how much the driver has suffered from the huge impact with the wall.

My condolences go out to Ashley Cooper's family.

RIP Ashley Cooper.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2137402)   #53
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500
I don't know about you but every time i go through a gate, have a ticket or on the back of a cams license it has the words "MOTROSPORT IS DANGEROUS".

These guys are out there knowing the risks involved with racing
Are you saying then that we do nothing about trying to make the sport safer for the people who actually take these risks, in part so the paying public can be entertained??
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:45 (Ref:2137407)   #54
theugsquirrel
Rookie

theugsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Then why do we allow races to be conducted around tracks where the walls are within touching distance everywhere.
Obvious. Unique challenge for the drivers, unique spectacle for the fans.

@mmciau,

I think a SAFER barrier would be much better suited to Turn 8 than your suggestion. Think of all the cars that glaze the wall - I would imagine it'd be easier to make a big mess of that barrier which would bring out the safety car for several more laps. And theres already too much safety car as there is.

At the end of the day, motorsport is dangerous and just pray the drivers are responsible out there.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2137412)   #55
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
if they re-designed the HANS device to stop sideways movement it would stop the driver from turning his head, a driver needs to turn his head so he can turn and make other observations. it could also cause more trouble to as there would be no give in the drivers head and with impacts something has to give so it could cause just as bad of an injury. the HANS device restricts and saves alot while giving just enough movement.
You contradict yourself there. You say that the HANS device stops the driver moving his head, then say it gives them 'just enough movement'. A re-design on the HANS device would be able to accomodate panning of the head (ie looking from left to right) but stop the effects of a side on crash like the Cooper crash (ie the head actually moving sideways and towards the shoulder).
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2137415)   #56
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
isnt that the purpose of the seat chatters ?
Old 25 Feb 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2137417)   #57
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
turn 8 has been around for 10 years now, it has had many different layout and there have been bad accident in nearly all of its forms. The drivers know its there and its up to them to ensure they drive through it at appropriate speeds.

converting to the full F1 track will remove the problem but possibly create a new one as the cars will be traveling at much higher speeds when entering the hair pin.
Not quite true. The 1st few Clipsals had a chicane to slow the cars before turn 8. This caused problems reconstructing the free standing tyre barriers after cars hit it.

When the chicane was removed, we had more trouble when cars hit the single layer concrete wall and moved it back, quite often cracking the concrete blocks causing delays while the large forklift replaced sections of the wall and realigning it.

Now the wall on the exit of turn 8 is a double layer of concrete blocks, each block weighing about 4 tonne. It does not move when hit as easy as it did.

Yes, returning to the full circuit would mean cars will approach the hairpin at greater speed, but in a straight line with good run off if they stuff it up. Hitting the wall going in would not be anywhere near as bad as clipping in apex going into turn 8 and shooting straight into the wall.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2137419)   #58
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Also one must remember that the HANS will only stop head and shoulder movement.

It will not stop your brain bashing around inside your skull causing injury.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2137426)   #59
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Are you saying then that we do nothing about trying to make the sport safer for the people who actually take these risks, in part so the paying public can be entertained??
I'm all for change (look at my post above the one you quoted), I was merely responding to the "Ban Street Circuits" comment. Its an extreme reaction to the unfortunate events on the weekend. Serious accident happen at any speed and can happen with tyre barriers ect as well.

I can tell you i held my breath on more than one occasion over the weekend watching my mates come around that turn 8 and going right out to the wall.

They have tried to change turn 8 multiple times and big crashes still happen. The best thing is to remove the corner. The corner was made wider by removing the tyre bundles that caused some accident which now means the driver don't have to slow as much. If you give them an inch they will take it.

And i believe the major contributing factor to the angle that Ashley went into the wall was he clipped the armco on the inside of the track (much like seto a few years back). Would it be safer if the armco was removed and just the ripple strip was left there (with strict monitoring of people cutting the inside?)
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:07 (Ref:2137428)   #60
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
Indianapolis has four turns with absolutely no run-off and what do they do?
Indianapolis had a huge problem with drivers hitting the walls and hurting themselves. One part of the solution was to narrow the track. This worked. Cars sliding into the wall were hitting on less of an angle.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:07 (Ref:2137429)   #61
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The HANS device is not the panacea for the problem.

It's pretty easy to stop a helmet suddenly with a HANS device. Unfortunately your brain has 200km/h of momentum and hits the inside of your skull pretty damn hard. What a HANS is great for is the NS part - Neck Support.

As a safety mechanism it's no substitute for momentum absorbing barriers...
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2137432)   #62
Ben_Dover
Rookie

Australia
Bikini Clad Beaches Gold Coast
Ben_Dover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.i.p

Quote:
Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
Obvious. Unique challenge for the drivers, unique spectacle for the fans.

@mmciau,

I think a SAFER barrier would be much better suited to Turn 8 than your suggestion. Think of all the cars that glaze the wall - I would imagine it'd be easier to make a big mess of that barrier which would bring out the safety car for several more laps. And theres already too much safety car as there is.

At the end of the day, motorsport is dangerous and just pray the drivers are responsible out there.
Who cares if we stuff barriers one life is more important and if we have to change turn 8 so be it.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:15 (Ref:2137435)   #63
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
I can tell you i held my breath on more than one occasion over the weekend watching my mates come around that turn 8 and going right out to the wall.

If you give them an inch they will take it.

And i believe the major contributing factor to the angle that Ashley went into the wall was he clipped the armco on the inside of the track (much like seto a few years back). Would it be safer if the armco was removed and just the ripple strip was left there (with strict monitoring of people cutting the inside?)

Some thing to ponder. Going right out to the wall on the exit is done with throttle. Don't like the wall, less right foot. It's going in to turn 8 all wrong that causes problems.

Removing the armco will not stop cars getting out of shape going in if they clip the ripple strip.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2137445)   #64
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Yes, Dumbrell did hit more head on, but this is where the HANS device comes in. His head would've gone forward as well as sideways so the device would've helped stop the forward movement, which would have been more significant then the sideways movement.

What happened to Cooper is that he hit it squarely side on. No forward movement, 100% lateral movement (which the HANS device does not cover).
Focus needs to be made on the seat for protecting the driver in high lateral load accidents.

Take a V8 Supercar seat, and compare it to a Nascar seat and you'll see the difference in safety between the two.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2137454)   #65
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Some thing to ponder. Going right out to the wall on the exit is done with throttle. Don't like the wall, less right foot. It's going in to turn 8 all wrong that causes problems.

Removing the armco will not stop cars getting out of shape going in if they clip the ripple strip.
no but it removes a major factor in some of the major accidents over the past few years. The armco redirects the car to a more head on angle to the wall
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2137464)   #66
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we have safely assumed that if you widen the exit, the cars will go through there faster; move the armco back, they cut the kerb, the same result. As someone who was a bit too young to remember when Adelaide had the GP, why didn't the F1 track take this route?

Mick
Old 25 Feb 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2137502)   #67
theugsquirrel
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Dover
Who cares if we stuff barriers one life is more important and if we have to change turn 8 so be it.
It's a drivers corner, and they know the risk.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2137504)   #68
theugsquirrel
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19
I think we have safely assumed that if you widen the exit, the cars will go through there faster; move the armco back, they cut the kerb, the same result. As someone who was a bit too young to remember when Adelaide had the GP, why didn't the F1 track take this route?

Mick
Too short. The V8 track is only 2 miles, and the lap times would probably have been considered too short.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2137541)   #69
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just one technical question with regard to the call for SAFER barriers (and I honestly don't know the answer to this) is can they be fitted to remporary barriers? Obviously American ovals have permanent walls which the barrier is fitted in front of. Walls on a street circuit are temporary and usually designed to move.

It is impossible to make all circuits safe in all circumstances. The nature of street circuits is such that it will always be harder to make them safe.

This incident is more shocking because the impact was not on the driver's side, and so the fatal injuries were received (presumably) entirely due to the nature of the deceleration, not to any trauma directly resulting from collision. It was clearly an enourmous impact, and history tells us that similar incidents are not uncommon, and so it is repeatable. At that point the emphasis must change in that the safety of this particular corner is not of an acceptable level. How you improve that is the difficult part and requires careful study, not idle speculation - some obvious solutions - tyre barriers for instance - may actually make it worse.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2137766)   #70
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the "proper run off areas" at phillip island didn't seem to help Stuart McColl who was traveling a lot slower than what Ashely and Mark
I knew this would come up, and yes, even that run off has been changed because of the McColl accident, the problem at PI was that the run off areas were designed purely for motorbikes.

Get all the facts before posting RS
Old 25 Feb 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2137774)   #71
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
It's a drivers corner, and they know the risk.
Why do we need guarding on machinery, people know the risks!

Why do we need fall protection on building sites, people know the risks.

Why do we need welding masks, people know the risks.

Why do we need seat blets, people know the risks.

Why do we need airbags, people know the risks

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

This is just not acceptable thinking these days - sorry.

You are required to do everything that is reasonably possible to reduce the risk, has CAMS done this with turn 8 - I think not.

By law you are required to use the Hierachy of Controls for reduing risk, here is a link to the SafeWork SA, maybe CAMS should have a read Hierachy of Control, start at the top and work down, the bottom being the leat effective, and that is where HANS devices fit in.

Last edited by Trevor; 25 Feb 2008 at 19:08.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2137780)   #72
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
. . . . tyre barriers for instance - may actually make it worse.
That is right, becuase when the car hits them they will push the car out into on-coming traffic, the 'bounce factor' is very high with tyre barriers.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:35 (Ref:2137811)   #73
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
That is right, becuase when the car hits them they will push the car out into on-coming traffic, the 'bounce factor' is very high with tyre barriers.
And they still spear off the wall as it is in Turn 8 too.

Radisich in 2001, Cooper this year to name 2- they all came to a stop up against the inside wall.

Trajectory after impact is not an exact science and not easily determined.

Mike

Last edited by mmciau; 25 Feb 2008 at 19:43.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2137913)   #74
Dingo
Racer

United Nations
Dingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without wanting to trivialise matters, it could have been a much worse weekend for Paul Dumbrell had his front suspension broken a moment earlier in Race 2. It was a nasty enough impact at the comparitively acute angle that #16 impacted the wall at; imagine had it been 45 degrees to the wall, or further.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a rough idea of the average speeds through Turn 8 in the first year of its current layout (i.e., post-Jones rollover)? Without knowing the cause of Cooper's accident, I won't speculate, but it does seem to the untrained observer that the cars are going faster through there than they were in the first year of the sweeper.

Let us hope there are no knee-jerk reactions and, that if anything is changed, then it is done with clarity and foresight.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2137914)   #75
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
I knew this would come up, and yes, even that run off has been changed because of the McColl accident, the problem at PI was that the run off areas were designed purely for motorbikes.
The McColl collision was an interesting and strange one. Having been involved in the post crash clean up and repair of the wall the car stood up very well to the impact with the tyre/earth wall but the collision was before HAN devices were available which might've had a different outcome.

Although PI was rebuilt for the Bike GP in the late 1980's the run offs were designed to take into account the cars to be using the track. If you look at my link to the Liam Magee Inquest earlier you will see a reference to CAMS having bigger run off requirements than Motorcycling Australia (Bike version of CAMS).

I never did see any reports on the Coroners Findings into the McColl Inquest.