Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Mar 2010, 00:10 (Ref:2659550)   #51
Wazm
Rookie

Wazm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck View Post
good idea nafe1... 3 or 4 hours in the twilight on the saturday afternoon/evening would be quite spectactular, although long days for the marshalls. Not too much of a strain on the expensive toys, there will be enough 'professional' drivers in the area and available anyway (due to 12 hr) and we get the glowing brake discs etc

I would also really like to see Group C/A historics added to the supports. Now that would be unreal...
It would be a HUGE strain on the marshalls especially with a 4am start the next day! The idea of a Saturday race isn't bad however, they also need time for the 12hr guys to practice and qualify especially as a lot of the drivers aren't full time drivers. This year we only just had enough people to man the flag points on the Friday and if you have more racing on the Saturday I can't see that there would be enough officials to run the thing on Thursday or Friday which is where the practice etc would need to move too.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 04:39 (Ref:2659603)   #52
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Brain Walden Holden is out, and so is half the field if GT3 is allowed in.

http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/ne...t/1785987.aspx

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 25 Mar 2010, 05:05 (Ref:2659610)   #53
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
According to Brain Walden Holden is out, and so is half the field if GT3 is allowed in.

Not good news......if this goes ahead the price limit on the production cars will have to be lifted so that faster cars can compete, otherwise the speed differential will be too great IMO, and the essence of what the race now is will be lost.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 05:24 (Ref:2659611)   #54
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post

Is anyone aware of any production car teams or GT3 teams who are in support of the event?
Old 25 Mar 2010, 05:58 (Ref:2659617)   #55
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a racing fan first and foremost, rather than a competitor, i'm in favour of leaving the event as it is, for mass-produced showroom cars.

The GT organisers are in bed for VESA for a number of events these days, why not organise for the GT Championship to revive the "3hr" on the Saturday of the Supercheap Auto 1000?
Old 25 Mar 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2659697)   #56
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know where O'Brien's idea of 70+ cars comes from...lucky to make 20 if GT's are allowed to come on board. Decision will be made late April/early May, I'm lead to believe.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 25 Mar 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2659723)   #57
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Awesome News.

Lets face it - unless you have an Evo or a BMW - you are racing for a "Class Win" anyway.

So if some entrants dont run so be it.

So long as there is a number of classes running in the event - then GT3 would be an amazing addition to the B12Hr.

I have attended every B12Hr in recent time, and I've enjoyed them all. But to see GT3 cars around that track for 12hours, well, that would be even better.

I would worry about the Yaris being lapped every third lap.. but then again ,a solid race pace would be what ?? 2:20 or so maybe ?? Race pace for an Evo in the dry is about 2:30 - 2:35 ..

Lets not forget, a well run EVO would still feature in the results - no question about that. Im sure Mitsubishi Australia would love nothing more then to say their car beat home a Lamborgini or a Aston Martin DBR...
Old 25 Mar 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2660133)   #58
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why bother racing a Yaris anyway...
Old 25 Mar 2010, 23:16 (Ref:2660147)   #59
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km View Post
Awesome News.

Lets face it - unless you have an Evo or a BMW - you are racing for a "Class Win" anyway.

So if some entrants dont run so be it.

So long as there is a number of classes running in the event - then GT3 would be an amazing addition to the B12Hr.

I have attended every B12Hr in recent time, and I've enjoyed them all. But to see GT3 cars around that track for 12hours, well, that would be even better.

I would worry about the Yaris being lapped every third lap.. but then again ,a solid race pace would be what ?? 2:20 or so maybe ?? Race pace for an Evo in the dry is about 2:30 - 2:35 ..

Lets not forget, a well run EVO would still feature in the results - no question about that. Im sure Mitsubishi Australia would love nothing more then to say their car beat home a Lamborgini or a Aston Martin DBR...
I can't understand why people would want to put them all in together and have one good race when we could have two good races???
Old 26 Mar 2010, 00:24 (Ref:2660167)   #60
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
The GT organisers are in bed for VESA for a number of events these days, why not organise for the GT Championship to revive the "3hr" on the Saturday of the Supercheap Auto 1000?
I agree - the 3 hour Procar race on Satuday of Bathurst was a cracker.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 03:22 (Ref:2660213)   #61
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
why bother racing a Yaris anyway...
Why not? If i was offered the chance to race a Yaris at Bathurst as opposed to watching from the sidelines, i'd jump at it.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 03:28 (Ref:2660215)   #62
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Why not? If i was offered the chance to race a Yaris at Bathurst as opposed to watching from the sidelines, i'd jump at it.
That's exactly what they did and i would have too!
Old 26 Mar 2010, 04:22 (Ref:2660222)   #63
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would love to see an Enduro for GT cars at Bathurst
BUT
in the long term ruining the B12 for production cars would be a huge step backwards for Motor racing in Australia because it would kill off the prospect od developing the proper replacement for the race that put racing into the public perception as a top sport.
Bathurst (and PI) developed the sort of racing that the general Australian sports fan and public grew up on. Racing cars that are seen as very close to what you can buy and drive is the very basis of mass recognition of the sport. The marketing hype of V8SC has pushed that line while actually taking the sport further and further away from it as the truth. The market is increasingly understanding that the Ford v Holden thing is now irrelevant, and that the formula is a great entertainment medium but has little to do with motoring or sport.
We need a proper showroom race for affordable cars to get the grass roots young fans back to racing rather than drifting and computer games. To an 18 year old seeing cars race that you are saving your money to drive is the thing that converts them to becomung involved both as a spectator and at club level. It also encourages participation in the sport by a whole range of businesses in the motor trade and by dealers, distributors, importers and hopefully manufacturers.
Much as I love the GT class the exotics do not achieve that level of involvement.
No one is going to prepare and run an SS, an XR6 or 8, a Mitsu Evo, a Mazda MP3, a BMW etc etc. to be lapped a dozen times by a fleet of Porsches. The race then fails the rellevance test and will disappear as the very restricted number of people who can justify running a GT car loose interest, or judging by the damage at the AGP, run out of money.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2660342)   #64
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
I've mixed feelings about this. I'd prefer to see the race retained for production cars, but at the same time, the GT class would bring in extra sponsors, crowds, corporate support etc. It may also discourage a lot of Production guys from competing if they have to compete against the megabucks GT cars, so you've got pros and cons either way. Personally, I loved seeing GT cars on the mount, we were a bit starved for GT action this year with the rain playing havoc with the Porsche GT3 cup races

Perhaps running a 1hr *sprint* race for GT cars on the Friday afternoon, and then a 3 hour enduro for GT cars on the Saturday afternoon would be an alternative? Best of both worlds?
100% agree

GT3 cars are NOT 24 hr cars.

to run a GT3 car for a 12 hour race basically costs almost as much as a 24hr race.

you are bang on... a 1 hr race on friday, and a 3 hr race on saturday would be PERFECT.

the only change i might offer up is to switch that... do the 3 hour race first... then the 1 hour after that.

Having said that, I get immense satisfaction from running Ted, and to help him run a 12 hour race and do well would be massivley personally motivational.

But I WILL tell him what it can cost before hand!
Old 27 Mar 2010, 03:58 (Ref:2660847)   #65
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for your input ff s ... it is good to hear what the guys that actually run the GT3 cars are thinking about the idea.

Is a 3 hr/1 hr format somethng that is being discussed at the moment do you know ? The press release seems to read that the promoters of the 12 hour and the GT3 class are talking, but without giving away what the result might produce.

As i have stated here on this thread i am quite passionate about the current guise of the 12 hour, as many of the competitors are and not keen to see the race's fabric compromised. But I am keen to see the whole event move forward to bring a greater range of entertainment for the spectators that make it out.

I think that Oldtony as summed it up very well. I am not Anti-GT3, just think that it isnt the way forward for the 12 hour race specifically. However....

I think another drawcard race would be good. a 3hr GT3 race would be awesome, and the two events would compliment each other very well, without destroying the 12 hour's relevance to the market, and giving the GT3 guys an affordable endurance event. Most of the GT3 guys are at the track anyway racing in the 12 hour....

Seems like such as easy solution....
Old 28 Mar 2010, 02:13 (Ref:2661345)   #66
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if the GT cars are joining the 12hr,people may as well get used to it. It will work. Im suprised that people dont believe the 24hr was a failure. It ended due to politic's not entries or spectators. Check the footage out from the events. Check mine on youtube and see the development. There were more people at the 2002 or 2003 than any of the 12hr events. The fields were growing with even bigger fields expected in 2004.
Some may drop out but others will join the ranks. It will become an even bigger event than now.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 10:20 (Ref:2661621)   #67
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps the most logical thing would be to grow a proper, independent Sports/GT enduro in parallel with the 12hr production race as both have a place in the callendar. Why not start with a 6 hr as part of the Easter Festival of Sporting Cars each Easter. Would probably take 2 or three years to build status and could become the central feature of the Festival. If it can then start to gather the entry, the spectator, media and sponsor support it could go on to increase in length and assume a sort of antipodean Nring or Spa 24hr status for a similar sort of entry.
My point is that developing the more exotic race should not be allowed to destroy the very Australian concept of a dedicated race for almost showroom cars that a majority of the population can at least aspire to owning without a lotto win.
There is a place for both races, but they won't mix.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 11:19 (Ref:2661652)   #68
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by B24 View Post
Im suprised that people dont believe the 24hr was a failure. It ended due to politic's not entries or spectators.
Wasn't it more a case of Rosco Palmer not funding it anymore?

After this weekend, there are probably 5 less cars that could run at Bathurst next year... When the drivers were read the riot act this morning, was there anything about parking your car on the track/obeying yellow flags? The biff has been brought back...
Old 28 Mar 2010, 11:34 (Ref:2661663)   #69
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it's been confirmed, the Aus GT cars will run in the 12 hr next year.

Have mixed feelings, but I think I hope to be there ??

Lets hope they can get off the start... struggled at AGP
Old 28 Mar 2010, 23:55 (Ref:2662285)   #70
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I know its early days yet but ffs what are the chances of Ted running in the 12hr? His new Gallardo wouldnt be eligible would it? Love to see the 360 though.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 04:24 (Ref:2662366)   #71
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a Production Sports Car competitor myself, I'm generally a fan of Production Car Racing, but I've never really been tempted to travel down from QLD to see the 12hr. From a spectators point of view, it's just not much of a spectacle.

On the other hand, I'm very excited about the prospect of seeing GT3 cars running in an endurance event at Bathurst again, and pending a decent entry list, I will be there with my ticket in hand to support the event.

Of course for the event to succeed it will need the support of both groups. I hope the GT3 guys can find the sponsorship and finances to put together some decent numbers. I'm also hoping that the Production Car guys don't get turned off by the fact that they wouldn't be outright contenders and are still happy to fight it out for the class win.

It's a recipe which has worked overseas in a number of 12hr and 24hr races and I hope it's one that can work here.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 04:59 (Ref:2662377)   #72
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
it's been confirmed, the Aus GT cars will run in the 12 hr next year.

Have mixed feelings, but I think I hope to be there ??

Lets hope they can get off the start... struggled at AGP

Source ?
Old 29 Mar 2010, 06:36 (Ref:2662404)   #73
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the 12 Hour was good while it lasted. If next year's event somehow does manage to attract more than 25 cars I will be surprised and happily eat humble pie. At least the FoSC will continue to come to the Mount.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 29 Mar 2010, 07:10 (Ref:2662418)   #74
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood-duck View Post
Source ?
Aus GT meeting/ official announcement. media will follow soon I guess.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 07:15 (Ref:2662419)   #75
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I know its early days yet but ffs what are the chances of Ted running in the 12hr? His new Gallardo wouldnt be eligible would it? Love to see the 360 though.
Not sure if Teds new G would run or not.

Currently the brains at AGT () say that some GT3 cars are not eligible for their GT3 based category.

430 scud GT3, and Lambo 560 are such cars.

But as it's a non championship round (I think?) I guess they'd allow it perhaps?

430 GT3 is ok though, Hector has left his car with me for storage/sale, so all you need is money

I'll not allow the 360 to run... poor thing is out gunned nowadays. Happy to do a sprint, 1 or even 3 hour with it though.