Old 28 Oct 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1446295)   #51
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
Surely no-one actually believes Danica would be anywhere near Jenson in a BAR?
I do.

P.S.: Andy, you better seek cover now...
Old 28 Oct 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1446310)   #52
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
For comments being made about women's 1 week out of 4; I think Button should be slated for saying them - back to sandbox rules of if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. However, with the PMS card being also laid scientifically and successfully on many fronts for women's equity and rights around the globe - I think it foolish for women to take too strong a stance and deny science and nature by saying it to be a non-issue. Men are no picnic in their mid-life crises
Wow! Before I resume reading your post, what do you mean by "Men are no picnic in their mid-life crisis"?
Old 28 Oct 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1446324)   #53
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now - could it be that that's why F1 has such young men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 Oct 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1446340)   #54
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
Now - could it be that that's why F1 has such young men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bah! MS, DC, RB & JV (for so long as it lasts) are not so young.

While I acknowledge that young men might (and I insist here on the word "might") have better reflexes than older ones, they, for sure, have much to learn from their elder brethren as to how difficult situations (and women) should be handled...

Have a nice weekend!
Old 28 Oct 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1446351)   #55
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
Good weekend to all - thank goodness venus and mars can have some laughs together here on 10 10ths.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1446372)   #56
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Katherine will do just fine. She has learned a lot this season. It took Danica some time to develop racecraft that Katherine has already developed albeit in a weakened Atlantic series.

As to Sarah Fisher she did drive a McLaren at slow speed around the USGP Indy circuit. I'm not sure what year it was but both my wife and I wished we hadn't bothered to stay around to watch. It was not any sort of test.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 21:53 (Ref:1446382)   #57
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Scotsman article is a bunch of rubbish anyway, Jenons joked about this a few times and isn't the first high profile driver to say negative things with regards to G-forces affecting women. RB's made similar comments before and he didn't get slated to such a degree. All this feminist rantings pathetic quite frankly. I don't care what the sex/nationailty/ethnic origin of the driver is so long as they can get the job done.

As for Danica getting near Button? She's hopeless. I've never seen a driver get hyped so far out of proportion. Katherine Legge and even Susie Stoddart are IMO much higher quality drivers.

BTW Louis B. I doubt Honda could give a toss what JB says so long as he is doing the right job in the car.

Rant over.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1446668)   #58
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, we need to see more women in F1. There's no reason why they shouldn't end up at the pinnacle. Unfortunately, Formula Woman was a joke.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1447381)   #59
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Indeed.

Good bit of publicity, but she needs to beat something more credible than a very poor Atlantics field before getting an F1 drive
Give her a chance mate.
She can't beat something more credible without leaving that that series.

Personally, I hope she does well.
I would very much like to see her or Danica in a serious F1 ride, even if they were a Friday tester for a season.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1447391)   #60
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicking-back
Good bit of publicity, but she needs to beat something more credible than a very poor Atlantics field before getting an F1 drive.
This years Toyota Atlantic field this year was not very poor and has hardly changed in overall talent when Danica was racing.

Needs to do something more credible before getting an F1 drive or test drive? Well a I guess the same should have applied to Danica am I right when she went into the IRL with a winless season and didn't prove herself in Toyota Atlantics where as Legge is a proven multiple winner.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1447451)   #61
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
This years Toyota Atlantic field this year was not very poor and has hardly changed in overall talent when Danica was racing.

Needs to do something more credible before getting an F1 drive or test drive? Well a I guess the same should have applied to Danica am I right when she went into the IRL with a winless season and didn't prove herself in Toyota Atlantics where as Legge is a proven multiple winner.

Luke, I know you generally believe everything about ChampCar is marvellous and better than everything about the IRL isn't - but bringing Danica into a debate on Legge's ability isn't really necessary.

Most observers of racing would feel this year's Atlantic field is poor - Zwolsman was mediocre in F3 and dominated. Legge's never done anything of note, aside from one pole in FRenault, and she won races in Atlantic.

It was one of the poorest fields in the series for years - but you can only beat the drivers who're there and credit to her for that.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1447457)   #62
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kicking-back I'm not going to turn this thread into a knock out between but your a fine one to talk when you think the IRL is a marvellous series and better than everything that Champ Car isn't, when have you ever given a positive CCWS post? But that's off-topic.

Back on topic, I'll agree with you that this years TA field isn't great but not that much different than the past year or two, the field has never been strong but you can't take away what Kathrine has achived this year and deserves every opportunity she gets and should use them to her advantage like Danica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Luke, I know you generally believe everything about ChampCar is marvellous and better than everything about the IRL isn't - but bringing Danica into a debate on Legge's ability isn't really necessary.

Most observers of racing would feel this year's Atlantic field is poor - Zwolsman was mediocre in F3 and dominated. Legge's never done anything of note, aside from one pole in FRenault, and she won races in Atlantic.

It was one of the poorest fields in the series for years - but you can only beat the drivers who're there and credit to her for that.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1447516)   #63
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*yawn*

Let the girl have her fun. Hope she enjoys it and does a respectable job
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 30 Oct 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1447677)   #64
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crozier74
*yawn*

Let the girl have her fun. Hope she enjoys it and does a respectable job
Exactly, an F1 test is better than no test.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1447752)   #65
fantasytoca
Racer

fantasytoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Exactly, an F1 test is better than no test.
Precisely - and for those who say she should have passed up the opportunity - you show me any junior formula driver who would pass up the opportunity - Katherine has dreamed of driving an F1 car since she started karting - now she's getting her opportunity - good for her!!

And while this years Toyota Atlantic field may be weak, lets not forget that when she took her pole at Oulton Park in Formula Renault, she was faster than James Rossiter, Lewis Hamilton, Jamie Green, Danny Watts and Alex Lloyd - same track, same day and they were nowhere near her time.

It is just a shame that until this year, when her gutsy determination got her some backing from Kevin, she has not had the financial backing to complete a whole season and show what she is capable of.

Go Katherine Go!!
Old 30 Oct 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1447944)   #66
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, best of luck to her in the test
Old 30 Oct 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1447976)   #67
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW, according to italiaracing.net the other drivers due to test for Minardi at Vallelunga with Legge are Luca Filippi, Davide Rigon and test driver Chanoch Nissany.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1448299)   #68
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Fair play to her.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1450475)   #69
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
I think KLegge is a fine driver; and I respect that she has put herself out there in a mostly male dominated sport, and I admire her courage for it. I don't think she's ready for a F1 car - and she herself as I recall admitted not being ready for Champ Car and wanting to stay in Atlantics. I respected very much that attribute about her of not living in her own ego but rather staying the course of her racing goals realistically. For her to take a romp in an F1 car - sorry, but largely for publicity - and sure, who'd blame her for wanting that rush of an F1 - she's lost some credibility in my mind as to her long-term intentions and racing goals. I think I would have believed her to be more serious about the sport and her place in it had she stuck with her first version of knowing she was not ready yet for a champ car; rather than to then turn around and jump in an F1, which is for publicity in my opinion. I do hope she does well, but I find her less credible and serious about it now. I'm sure she has enough true and loyal fans that she won't miss me while I follow instead her teamate Bessette's deservedly earned placement.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1450478)   #70
RonVerstegen
Rookie

Netherlands
Den Bosch
RonVerstegen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know if she is ready for the F1 !!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1450479)   #71
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
I don't believe she is - I do not believe she thinks she is.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 15:33 (Ref:1450507)   #72
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Button

Talking about Button have you seen his "hand wringing" apology for the comments in FHM? I suppose that Honda waved the big stick - also why make a stupid comment like he apparently made when he's got nothing to shout about himself - 100 GP's - no Wins - Also did a great con job by getting Honda to pay what is it? $100 m dollars over the next five years! wow!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1450933)   #73
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
re Button, this 100 races to no wins is nothing new, many other highly rated drivers have been in the same boat, eg Alesi. (yes, I know he won 1 race, but that was late in his career and was due to a high attrition rate.) I think it underlines how difficult it is to win in F1, rather than how poor the driver / car combinations are. I'm sure that Honda know more than we do about this and have calulated he is worth the $100m to them in some way or another.
However, back to topic, it may not do Katherines career any good, but not many drivers would turn this opportunity down...
Old 3 Nov 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1451168)   #74
Kicking-back
Veteran

Mika Hakkinen went 90-odd races before winning - and ended up with 20 wins and 2 world championships.

So it can be done.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 02:50 (Ref:1451783)   #75
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Katherine knows she is not ready for F1 but, in her shoes, we would all hop at the chance to drive an F1 car.

Despite the mediocre FA field this past year, I was still extremely impressed with Katherine. Not many rookie Atlantic drivers don't get rattled by being involved in incidents and fall back, but Katherine showed that she was well able to keep her focus on the race instead of the incident. I will root for her this year no matter what series she is in.