Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 10 Jun 2004, 04:35 (Ref:999281)   #51
prn 31
Racer

prn 31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moffat's Mustang came down for the Eastern Creek Historics a couple of years ago when they ran the National Historic Touring Car Trophy (or whatever they call it.)

I heard it being started up and trundling through the paddock. It definitely wasn't muffled!

It did a few laps in company with other significant historic touring cars, but it wasn't being pushed quickly nor was it revved out either, so I don't have a memory of it sounding like a NASCAR, though I don't doubt it would sound awesome at 7000rpm plus!
Old 19 Jun 2004, 04:41 (Ref:1008470)   #52
Bruce302
Rookie

Bruce302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentlemen,
I was contacted direct, by Rowan Harman who now owns the Frank Gardner SCA Camaro. This is his story:

Begin quote.
"I have picked up on ten-tenths that you were enquiring about the fate of the Frank Gardner SCA 67 Camaro. I have tried to register for ten-tenths and respond via the Forum but there appears to be some hold-ups so I have contacted you direct. Could you please let the interested parties that contributed to the discussion know the following.

I purchased the Camaro from Bernie Watt earlier this year after four years of negotiating. The car is as it finished its last race (1988?) and has been kept in dry storage since that time (photo attached).

In sourcing the Camaro's UK and Euro history with help from Jon Mello of Historic Trans-Am, the linage of the car as best we can establish is as follows;

Late November 1966 production - Norwood (most probably an SS 350/327 car with RS option).
Delivered to Robert Chevrolet (NY) and prepared for Trans-Am for Bob (Bobby) Brown.
Sebring 4 Hour Trans-Am 2, March 1967. Finished 6th.
Lime Rock Trans-Am 4, May 1967. DNF.
1967 SCCA Runoffs, Lime Rock (Labour Day) Overall Winner.
Sold to Malcolm Wayne - UK. Wayne raced the car in 1968 (inc some BSCC races)
1968, Wayne sold to Mike Kearon (race history TBA)
1970, Kearon sold to Bill Shaw for Roy Pierpoint to replace Camaro 'written off' at Oulton Park in 69.
1970 (Late), Shaw sold to Adrian Chambers (SCA European Road Services) ending up with Frank Gardner at the wheel.
1971, BSCC, Gardner.
1972, First two rounds of BSCC before new car ready.

There are some doubts that the car was then prepared as the Jagermeister car for Germany in 1972. This is yet to be fully researched. There are thoughts that the Jagermeister car was in fact the Martin Thomas car!!

December 1972, Frank runs the Camaro in the Tasman International supports at Bay Park (any photo's please) with the car now all white with a red nose, sill and tail band. The car is then shipped to Australia for the Tasman support races at Sandown. There were stories that the car had been sold to an Oil Company in Australia for Kevin Bartlett. KB has verified that this was all talk at the time though the car did run with Shell markings at Sandown, (KB was a Shell contracted driver and Frank a Castrol driver!)

Following Sandown, the Camaro was then sold to the Bob Jane Corporation that involved a 'deal' where Frank took the 7 litre ZL1 engine and trick gearbox from Bob's 69 Camaro back to the UK for fitment to the newer SCA car. The 67 then went into storage at BJRT (once being sent to NZ for bond/duty reasons in October 73). I tried to purchase the car in mid 74 (until Bob got personally involved - another story) and the car remained at BJRT until 76 when it was sold to John Pollard. Pollard sold it on in 1978 to Bernie Watt before I finally purchased the car in early 2004."
End Quote.

I would like to help Rowan with the "Jagermeister" connection, if it exists, but i'm thinking a new thread on all the Jagermeister cars woulds be good. Yes ?

Bruce.
Old 20 Jun 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1009309)   #53
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the update Bruce302, the Jaegermeister thread could run and run, however.
glyn

Last edited by glyn parham; 20 Jun 2004 at 11:30.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 04:14 (Ref:1064599)   #54
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Glyn, Frank de Jong, Spook, Peter Mallett etc

Sorry to drag this thread back up but I was hoping one of you (or any other reader) would know of any Motor Sport magazine archives in Germany that may have photo reference of the Gardner 67 Jaegermeister Camaro.

I am still tossing up which livery to restore the car - Team Castrol/SCA or Jaegermeister so any photo reference would be appreciated.

I have only just registered with ten-tenths so a big thank you to all for the info on the car (so-far!)

Cheers.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 07:04 (Ref:1064683)   #55
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll check though I am sure that only b/w pictures will come up - Gardner did not run the car in that many races in Germany in 1972.
This weekend my site will be updated; new sections include 1966/67 transam and 1972 DRM. Now that's a coincidence.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:09 (Ref:1064915)   #56
Camaroz
Veteran

Hi Frank,

When will be the best time to hit on your updated site? Thanks for your info and interest.

Cheers
Old 14 Aug 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1065787)   #57
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camaroz, if you send me your email address I have a (pretty bad) b/w scan for you from german Sport Auto 10/72.
Grand prix models have this car in their collection (http://www.grandprixmodels.co.uk/sho...rc/COM130M.jpg).
For sure they will have used pictures - you could contact them, or even order the model.
By the way, the site has been updated this night.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 09:42 (Ref:1065839)   #58
Camaroz
Veteran

Frank'

I have orgered the Model a few week ago. I intend to contact the makers when I receive my model. rowan@motoringevents.com.au
Can I have your site address please.
'Bout to go out, back at midnight. Cheers.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 10:08 (Ref:1065858)   #59
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
the site address is etcc-history.it4us.nl
Old 15 Aug 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1067010)   #60
Camaroz
Veteran

Frank,

Any chance of posting the Camaro shot on ten-tenths! This may crank up a few more with some information. Again - BIG THANKS!!!
Old 15 Aug 2004, 13:05 (Ref:1067018)   #61
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have and I am sure any Camaro fans have seen it, a full length video featuring Frank in the 2nd gen car. First he takes you round a few laps of Outon Park which is interesting in it'self to see the circuit in its former glory before it got nuetered, (man am I glad I drove that a few times before they did) and then a race from Thruxton where he totally nails the field includeing a 1st gen Camaro that has a really long off across the cornfields doing a combined harvester impression. The CSL's ad Capris just could not hold a candle to the thing, there must have been a twenty mile an hour differnce down the straight, awesome. (Now if I could just find a ZL1 Aluminium engine and put in my 2nd gen do you think they would let me out to play in the Pre 73' Classics.....)
Old 15 Aug 2004, 13:21 (Ref:1067022)   #62
Camaroz
Veteran

They should!
Old 15 Aug 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1067044)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Has to be built to Group 1 spec (or the pre 74 equivalent). The group 2 cars don't fit in I'm afraid. Therefore the engine has to be a production block and not a short series special.

We have had some Camaro's out and they generally clean up unsurprisingly.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1067055)   #64
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Don't worry Peter I was only joking, the engine would cost more than my entire car and I don't really think I am brave enough to go that fast, I will stick with the little 5.8 small block I am preparing, (all to group 1 regs of course)
Old 15 Aug 2004, 15:15 (Ref:1067132)   #65
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great. Hope to see you out sometime.

And I wasn't worried. Like you, in terms of musclecars, if budget permitted I'd be racing a Boss Mustang.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 20:01 (Ref:1067377)   #66
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I personally think looking into it with hindsight even when Frank was racing that 2nd Gen ZL1 Camaro it was at best a loose interpretation of the regulations and at worst not really in the spirit of the regulations so what would be the sense of producing a replica even if the rules allowed and budget was not a problem.

At the end of the day if you build a car that is as dominate as Frank's was in it's day I would have fought apart from the hollow victory of winning it would be as boring streaking away from everyone as not being able to catch the pack and lingering at the back in an uncompetitive car. At the end of the day the idea is to race I believe.

By the club rules I could fit a 396 big block and chuck enough money at it and get it to produce probably 600hp with enough torque to pull down an oak tree, but the thing would have so much weight up front (remember Franks was Alloy engined) that it would handle like a complete pig and I think you may well have a similiar problem with a big block Boss Mustang. I think they did a small block version as well witrh trick heads if I remember correctly which is probably the model you mean.

Oh and yes I may well get the car out but it will be next year now and I have got to do that wretched silly ARDS thing as I let my licence expire or I would have probably got one of my cars out this year at least for the odd meeting.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 04:50 (Ref:1099911)   #67
Milan Fistonic
Racer

Milan Fistonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce302
Gentlemen,
I was contacted direct, by Rowan Harman who now owns the Frank Gardner SCA Camaro. This is his story:

Begin quote.
"I have picked up on ten-tenths that you were enquiring about the fate of the Frank Gardner SCA 67 Camaro. I have tried to register for ten-tenths and respond via the Forum but there appears to be some hold-ups so I have contacted you direct. Could you please let the interested parties that contributed to the discussion know the following.

I purchased the Camaro from Bernie Watt earlier this year after four years of negotiating. The car is as it finished its last race (1988?) and has been kept in dry storage since that time (photo attached).

In sourcing the Camaro's UK and Euro history with help from Jon Mello of Historic Trans-Am, the linage of the car as best we can establish is as follows;

Late November 1966 production - Norwood (most probably an SS 350/327 car with RS option).
Delivered to Robert Chevrolet (NY) and prepared for Trans-Am for Bob (Bobby) Brown.
Sebring 4 Hour Trans-Am 2, March 1967. Finished 6th.
Lime Rock Trans-Am 4, May 1967. DNF.
1967 SCCA Runoffs, Lime Rock (Labour Day) Overall Winner.
Sold to Malcolm Wayne - UK. Wayne raced the car in 1968 (inc some BSCC races)
1968, Wayne sold to Mike Kearon (race history TBA)
1970, Kearon sold to Bill Shaw for Roy Pierpoint to replace Camaro 'written off' at Oulton Park in 69.
1970 (Late), Shaw sold to Adrian Chambers (SCA European Road Services) ending up with Frank Gardner at the wheel.
1971, BSCC, Gardner.
1972, First two rounds of BSCC before new car ready.

There are some doubts that the car was then prepared as the Jagermeister car for Germany in 1972. This is yet to be fully researched. There are thoughts that the Jagermeister car was in fact the Martin Thomas car!!

December 1972, Frank runs the Camaro in the Tasman International supports at Bay Park (any photo's please) with the car now all white with a red nose, sill and tail band. The car is then shipped to Australia for the Tasman support races at Sandown. There were stories that the car had been sold to an Oil Company in Australia for Kevin Bartlett. KB has verified that this was all talk at the time though the car did run with Shell markings at Sandown, (KB was a Shell contracted driver and Frank a Castrol driver!)

Following Sandown, the Camaro was then sold to the Bob Jane Corporation that involved a 'deal' where Frank took the 7 litre ZL1 engine and trick gearbox from Bob's 69 Camaro back to the UK for fitment to the newer SCA car. The 67 then went into storage at BJRT (once being sent to NZ for bond/duty reasons in October 73). I tried to purchase the car in mid 74 (until Bob got personally involved - another story) and the car remained at BJRT until 76 when it was sold to John Pollard. Pollard sold it on in 1978 to Bernie Watt before I finally purchased the car in early 2004."
End Quote.

I would like to help Rowan with the "Jagermeister" connection, if it exists, but i'm thinking a new thread on all the Jagermeister cars woulds be good. Yes ?

Bruce.

Bruce

I've just acquired some 1972 Autosports and they show that Gardner used the new Camaro from round one.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 05:36 (Ref:1099917)   #68
Bruce302
Rookie

Bruce302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just acquired some 1972 Autosports and they show that Gardner used the new Camaro from round one.

Hi Milan,
I think i've seen a couple of references about the older car used initially in '72 but as always i'm open to correction. Any good pics we should see ?

Bruce
Old 18 Sep 2004, 07:40 (Ref:1099955)   #69
Camaroz
Veteran

Milan,

SCA ran the 'new' Camaro for the first time at round 1 of the BTCC at Brands Hatch - March 19, 1972. The car had many problems (only finished at 4am that morning!!!) Further references have development drama's continuing for rounds 2 and 3. My next reference is Silverstone Round 4 where SCA reverted back to the '67 (5.7 Litre) and won.

Round 5 ? Milan, do you have any reference?

The next outing for the '67 was at Mondello Park ( June 18, Crawfords Golden 1000) - 1st.

Frank then ran the new car again for round 6 at Brands Hatch ( July 14) as well as shaking down the (now 5 litre) 67 in Jagermeister colours ( in practice) before its first German Touring Car Championship round the following day!!!

Cheers.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1100062)   #70
Milan Fistonic
Racer

Frank ran the old car at Crystal Palace on May 29, which I think was round 5. He started with dry tyres on a wet track and was in eighth place when the gearbox packed up.
Old 18 Sep 2004, 13:49 (Ref:1100167)   #71
Camaroz
Veteran

Thanks Milan,

Any more info re rounds 2 and 3?

Cheers
Old 18 Sep 2004, 20:35 (Ref:1100346)   #72
Milan Fistonic
Racer

Round 2 was at Oulton Park on Friday March 31, 1972. Frank was fastest in practice in the new car using the same 5.7 carburetor Alan Smith engine he had used at Brands. The blowing out of oil at Brands was discovered to be caused by a hairline crack in the sump. He finished second to Muir's Capri. The race was run in the wet and the winning margin was 1m 36.0s.

Round 3 was at Thruxton on Easter Monday April 3, 1972. Frank was again running the '72 car and had problems in practice with oil spraying onto the rear tyres. Gardner led from start to finish except from the start, where Dave Brodie led through to Brooklands, and for a brief moment on the 15th lap when Muir slipped past at the complex. The SCA car regained the lead along Brooklands. Gardner set a new lap record at 1m 25.4s.

There didn't seem to be any major development problems with the new car so why did they switch back to the old car?

Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 18 Sep 2004 at 20:36.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 05:48 (Ref:1100566)   #73
Milan Fistonic
Racer

To answer my own question courtesy of the Silverstone report in Motoring News.

The SCA Camaro boys have decided to develop the new style car previously seen at the opening three rounds to make life a little easier for Gardner in the roadholding department. The potential is there in the newer Camaro, but it's going to take some shrewd sorting from double saloon champion Gardner - plus new Derrington exhaust manifolding - to make the newer Camaro into the easier winner that it could still turn out to be. In the meantime, they had dusted off the older body shape pony car, installed the 5.7 Alan Smith Chevvy V8 (plumbed into a wet sump system on the old car, so you can get one to work!) and fitted Goodyear F1 slicks at the rear with conventially treaded rubber from the same source at the front. The old car is scheduled for use at one more round (Crystal Palace on May 29) before the newer Camaro re-appears.

There was nothing wrong with the old car as it won the race and set a new lap record of 1m 35.3s (110.68mph).
Old 19 Sep 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1101455)   #74
Camaroz
Veteran

Hi Milan,

Terrific research. What edition(s) of Motoring News did this article appear?

Cheers.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 23:07 (Ref:1101469)   #75
Camaroz
Veteran

Bruce, Steve, Milan,

It has also come to light that Frank ran the 67 at Warwick Farm as part of the Tasman Challenge in early 73 as well as Sandown. Check out www.autopics.com.au and search Gardner.

Cheers.