Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 22 Nov 2004, 13:02 (Ref:1160780)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think I alluded to this elsewhere but when moving you remain remarkably dry because the rain goes over the car rather than into it. But turning corners slowly tends to throw water into your face.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1160800)   #52
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For ten grand buy my Scirocco too run in pre-83 CT and anything else would be do-able with ease - at least twenty races there

Last edited by josvandeperre; 22 Nov 2004 at 13:22.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 20:02 (Ref:1161113)   #53
Simon Mason
Rookie

Ireland
Northampton
Simon Mason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Edstar
Yes it is Andy (and preferrably a trailer too!)
OK fair enough for that dosh FF1600 is a stretch, so MaX5 with long term competitive potential or stock hatch mid field until you win the lottery it is then.

For the record most of the MaX5 guys recon to spent upto £10k this year including the car.

Last edited by Simon Mason; 22 Nov 2004 at 20:09.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 08:42 (Ref:1161499)   #54
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Mason
OK fair enough for that dosh FF1600 is a stretch, so MaX5 with long term competitive potential or stock hatch mid field until you win the lottery it is then.

For the record most of the MaX5 guys recon to spent upto £10k this year including the car.
In my first year I bought a F Vauxhall Junior 16V with trailer and running spares (quick lift jack, spares wheels and tyres, battery and some components etc) for £5000 and then spent about £2500 on 8 races in Monoposto 1800 and the BARC-SEC Open Single Seater series, repairing some accident damage and getting the bodywork smartened up (an act of pure vanity and not really necessary!). This bill included paying out for someone to help me out on race days and to do the mechanical repairs so it can be done a bit cheaper.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 22:31 (Ref:1162218)   #55
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to race sports cars choose the Max5 championship. If you want to race saloons go for Alfa Romeos a 33 in class F (production upto 1700cc) a really good car you can win in is less than £5K and the class races on its own so you win out right. Quite fast and a level playing field.

Single seaters buy a FFZetec Mygale or Van Dieman or better still a Ray all less than £5k for a complete 97 year car and for that you get a 140mph RACING CAR. Race it in 750mc Monoposto or class B Avon Clubmans you can do the festival and the winter series too. As Andy said much cheaper to run.

Damage:-

Saloon you bend a wing = bending a wish bone or 2

Single seater you knock a corner off = Saloon you reshell your car!

Buy an old FFZetec you'll have much more fun for your £££s

You only get wet when you're not moving - anyway you're a man aren't you!

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 24 Nov 2004, 09:05 (Ref:1162551)   #56
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by ZetecNo9

Saloon you bend a wing = bending a wish bone or 2

Single seater you knock a corner off = Saloon you reshell your car!
Oh if only it were that simple

I'm not going to get into the old debate again, but I just wanted to dispell the myth that single seaters are easier to repair after an accident. After a hard impact, sometimes you *don't* have to reshell a saloon, and likewise in a single seater, sometimes you can break other things than wishbones. It's not black and white.

Bit more bias coming up: if you go side by side into a corner, and get it slightly wrong, in a saloon you might just trade paint. In a single seater, you may be trading wheels, tyres, body panels, etc
Old 24 Nov 2004, 10:16 (Ref:1162612)   #57
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vee is still your best bet - big grids, heats and finals mostly duoble headers, you can buy everything you need and run for a season for sub £8k.

As for getting wet I only got wet once this season. As for damage vees can take more abuse than FF1600 and cost a lot less when you ding it

Last edited by ss_collins; 24 Nov 2004 at 10:17.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 01:12 (Ref:1163404)   #58
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trade paint? You can't have been watching Stock Hatch then....they trade whole wings!!

Have done a bit of single seater driving I can assure you that when you are up against drivers who have prepared and paid for their own cars, they tend to avoid too much contact I think you know what I mean!

As for getting wet.... you have to find a friend with a big umbrella every now and then for the collecting area. The snag comes when you have sit on the grid waiting, as they won't be allowed out there!!!
Old 25 Nov 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1163876)   #59
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go for Vee

you have to weld things with them saloons :confused:
Old 25 Nov 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1163902)   #60
bodyrepairs
Rookie

bodyrepairs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone else who is going to race nextyear, i've opted for the stockhatch. Everyone seem really helpful so far, just need to finish my car.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1164028)   #61
stevew
Rookie

Cyprus
stevew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not all Mini Championships are the same.

For a Novice you could consider Mini 7 & Mini Miglia
The Longest running one make championship in UK Motorsport.
We have good grids and the racing is very close & damm good fun.

It is also highly competitive.

The CSMA Round at Brands Hatch this year might get the RACE OF THE YEAR award out of ALL UK motorsport, well it's between us and the Superbikes.(not my words)

You can pick up a Mini 7 from around 4-5k and running costs
are not crazy. Checkout the For Sale Section on our Website.

Further information can be found on our website.
www.mini7.co.uk or email me steve.whiteley@mini7.co.uk
Sorry for the plug but we are nothing like Mighty Mini's
we are pure racing cars and the Migs are close to Super Touring Car Spec, at a fraction of the price.

Regards
Old 25 Nov 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1164051)   #62
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any one who wathed the Fvee final at silverstone this year would know just what vee racing is all about 4 r 5 abreast everywhere every lap