Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 4 Dec 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1781884)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They were, in 1967.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1781889)   #52
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
i always though the V8 porsche should have been allowed in ModProds but no one else agreed!
Old 4 Dec 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1781927)   #53
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
i always though the V8 porsche should have been allowed in ModProds but no one else agreed!
I wish I had known, I always wanted a 928!
Old 4 Dec 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1781980)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well it had 4 seats did'nt it?
Old 4 Dec 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1782072)   #55
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which model was that Peter? I do recollect a rally car around that time. Was that it?
As for the 928, spend the next 12 months lobbying and we'll see what can be done.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1782226)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was the 911 and it was built to the then App J Group 5 Saloon/Touring car regs.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1782227)   #57
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Who could afford to race one anyway and why bother when you can build a chevy engine for the price of a Porche V8 gasket set! It was one of the Nottingham boys who raced a Rover wanted to do one in ModProds as I recollect but the committee declined the request.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1782302)   #58
johnw
Veteran

England
Thanks Peter. I'll investigate.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1782304)   #59
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
911? I would'nt go there myself. Irrespective of what was and was not fiddled through in period I think the phrase 'Spirit of the rules' comes to mind. In fact I think anyone who wants to race a 911 must agree to be a back seat passenger in one to and from all the races they attend :-).
Old 5 Dec 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1782312)   #60
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
911? I would'nt go there myself. Irrespective of what was and was not fiddled through in period I think the phrase 'Spirit of the rules' comes to mind. In fact I think anyone who wants to race a 911 must agree to be a back seat passenger in one to and from all the races they attend :-).
That's just nasty!
Old 5 Dec 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1782313)   #61
johnw
Veteran

England
Seems that the club decided many moons ago that Porsches are sports cars not saloons, so relax
Old 5 Dec 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1782675)   #62
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I should point out that the homologation was for Group 5 and since 1969 Touring Cars have run to either Group 1, Group 2 (ooh those Capris and Batmobiles), Group A, ST and Super 2000.

So I see no way the 911 could turn up on a CTCRC grid.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 17:22 (Ref:1782679)   #63
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Nor a Batmobile as we run to Group 1 not Group 2 and we had this discussion earlier in the year when we had a car entered as a CSL, but it turned out it was in fact a CS so no problem.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1782683)   #64
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oh dear. I was just pointing out the different regs not advocating the cars.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1788759)   #65
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has the CTCRC site died again?
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:47 (Ref:1788769)   #66
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by teej
Has the CTCRC site died again?
Yes, I've let "the management" know.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1789180)   #67
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I think Chris is on the case, he has got to find some more coins to go in the meter :-).
Old 12 Dec 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1789346)   #68
johnw
Veteran

England
With Christmas coming, it might take a while
Old 13 Dec 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1789662)   #69
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on dates for pre-93 yet?
Old 13 Dec 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1789696)   #70
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
The dates are being discussed with the BARC as we speak (along with all the other CTCRC championships). Expect something soon.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1790056)   #71
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
John whats going on with the site now, there is a holding page saying its expired, not good PR this time of year surely!
Old 13 Dec 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1790141)   #72
johnw
Veteran

England
Some admin cock-up I think Alllan.
Solution in hand so hopefully we should see a return to normal service shortly.
Good news is that it isn't my fault - yet
Old 15 Dec 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1791385)   #73
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sorry chaps. The domain settings are in a state where no ISP claims to be able to sort it. I have had the most frustrating week trying to get some ******* to help sort this. Been passed from pillar to post by hosting co and registrar. I feckin hate them! Bloody help desks that take an age to get through to and then useless people on the other end when you do.

We'll get there in the end.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 17 Dec 2006 at 19:51.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1791398)   #74
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside
Just thinking outloud, but if the RX7's are allowed in, does that mean 944's and 968's are also admisable?

I know this is going to turn into a "when is a touring car not a touring car" thing, but I was just wondering.

Cheers

Rob
Hi,

The original RX7 is actually homologated as a saloon by the FIA - a trend started by Tom Walkinshaw I believe for the series 1. The rest (although I may be picked up for this) were also homologated for the purposes of Japanese saloon racing.

With Pre-93 there's a degree of latitude for the 'spirit of the regulations' though I'm sure, but I don't believe Porsches were ever listed in the same manner.

I'm also sure, or at least sure I've heard(!), that there are dimensional requirements to be met as a "saloon car". I guess if someone could get hold of those, then they might be used as the basis for a discussion on any 'grey' cars?

Stacy
Old 15 Dec 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1791558)   #75
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Standing here on the sidelines with a little devil perched on my shoulder, I have to ask:
- What determines a pre 93 *saloon* car?

In Group 1, Pre 73 and pre 66 its pretty obvious. You're looking at a period when the pre-cursor to British Touring Cars was in operation.Homologation papers exist and the defination of a saloon car was set in stone by the MSA and FIA. If it wasn't raced in period as a saloon car it isn't a saloon car.

Bring us forward to pre 93 and we are in the era of modern British Touring Cars where the rules were changed to 2.0L saloons and again the list is finite - the era of Peugeot 406s, E36s, Audi 80s, Renault Lagunas et al.

Try and bring in different engine sizes and your defination of saloon cars becomes blurred.
Why should a 1992 Jag XJS be valid for pre 93? It managed a waiver under TWR for Group 1 Touring Cars. But that was a 1982 model not the 92 model so it has no valid homologation papers that justify it competiting in pre 93 saloons.
You could apply the same logic to the 2nd Gen RX7. (although Stacys point about Japanese Saloon car racing could muddy the waters)
If you count number of seats, then surely it needs to be a 5 seater. Otherwise you could have Lotus Eclats and Ferrari 400i's joining the scene as well as the RX and XJ. (Perish the thought)

I'm interested in how the CSCC are going to filter entries for this series.

Of course I have a vested interest as I run my Group 1 spec RS1600i in Pre 93 at the moment....