Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Apr 2008, 08:59 (Ref:2166769)   #51
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh yeah...is there a prize?
Old 1 Apr 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2166774)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2166982)   #53
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
By the way John, that Dodd XK was one of three or four that were black flagged and pulled out of the race for pit lane speeding. Graeme looked furious with race director Dave Scott for such a penalty, his co-driver committing the offence.
I didn't know anything about that! Wouldn't a fine and penalty points on the drivers licence have been more appropriate, or was the speed so in excess that it warranted exclusion?
Old 1 Apr 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2166996)   #54
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not that quick, but hey, this is 2008, there are too many jobsworths, rules and regs everywhere not just in motorsport. 'Health & safety' they call it destroying the spectacle.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2167042)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually (and I stand to be corrected) the exclusion was for, let's say, an over exuberant retort to the penalty.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2167071)   #56
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understood they were given drive-through penalties but claimed not to have seen the signs or their numbers. I certainly saw them as I noticed my number wasn't one of the three on the board. It may have been that I was extra observant following my issues earlier in the day but thats another story.....

As they failed to come in for the drive-through, they were black flagged.

That was my understanding anyhow.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2167078)   #57
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 1 - Cloth Cap/XK Challenge

Two races in one over 45 mins with a compulsory stop. Cloth cap cars are Sports/Gt cars. The whole grid with Shaun Lynn's Cobra on pole with Chris Scragg's E-type alongside. Just a few thousandths separated their qualifying times. On the second row you can see Roger Wills Corvette Stingray with the Tice/Conoley Marcos 1800GT alongside. Third row is the similar Ian Cox Marcos and Harry Wyndham's E-Type. I can also see the Mini Gem there, so I was wrong, it did start (but didn't last long):-

End of the first lap with the order already established and Scragg shadowing the Cobra, as he did for much of the race until the pit stops, and both gradually pulling away from the pair of Marcos (Marci?):-

You can see that Roger has already fallen behind the battling XKs of Rob Newall and John Burton. I think I should let Roger tell the whole story if he wants to, but basically, in practice, he fell foul of the noise regulations (it sounded great!) so then over muffled it for the race. I couldn't even hear it during the race, and unfortunately, the power loss was substantial, his best lap being 8 seconds slower than his best qualifier. He was to finish 7th in the Cloth Cap race, even further back if you include the frontrunning XKs:-

Rob Newall swaps ends, but despite appearances Burton missed him as did the following Elan. Newall was to retire after 9 laps :-

There was a red flag which I'm assuming was following the accident with the Mini Gem, and after the restart Scragg continued to follow Lynn closely and stayed out longer during the pit window. After his stop he emerged in the lead with Lynn within striking distance. However, Scragg, who I think has been steadily improving over the years, ran a well judged race, and appeared to have matters under control when Lynn (it was not to be his day at all - see later) called it a day when engine temperatures rose to unacceptable levels. Thereafter Scragg maintained a lead over the Cox Marcos to win by 7.5 seconds:-

The disappearance of Newall did not leave the XK victory to Burton since he then became embroiled in a battle with the Love/Keen XK150. It was the latter that prevailed having taken the lead and in his attempts to stay on terms, Burton (I believe!) spun and finished 2nd ,12.5 seconds behind in the XK race:-

Last edited by John Turner; 2 Apr 2008 at 08:51.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 16:08 (Ref:2167089)   #58
Andy Bacon
Rookie

England
Bedford and Phuket
Andy Bacon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm.
Looking at the blue A35, what has happened to the rest of the bonnet inner paneling?
And are those E type style louvres in the bonnet?
Old 1 Apr 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2167091)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep Andy which prompted my question (among other things).

It does seem that the Speedwell class is a bit free in terms of engine and so on. Not sure about the rest of it though.

As somebody said. When the Zephyr expired it left very few real cars out there.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2167255)   #60
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Not that quick, but hey, this is 2008, there are too many jobsworths, rules and regs everywhere not just in motorsport. 'Health & safety' they call it destroying the spectacle.

Absolutly,next thing will be the Pit Crews having to wear hard hats.
Old 1 Apr 2008, 21:44 (Ref:2167380)   #61
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Absolutly,next thing will be the Pit Crews having to wear hard hats.
Not to mention the safety specs .... and don't forget to do the risk assessment for all raceday activities!
Old 2 Apr 2008, 04:33 (Ref:2167511)   #62
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Better look out for those bacon butties then!
Old 2 Apr 2008, 08:38 (Ref:2167598)   #63
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 2 - Masters Pre-66 Touring Cars

Over 60 minutes, again with compulsory pit stops, a bit of Mustang walkover, this, with 4 of them occupying the first two rows and going on to finish in the first four places. John Young was on pole and but for a brief period led all the way to win. Behind the Mustangs on the grid were 3 Lotus Cortinas, and the grid comprised of 17 cars in all.

Roger Cope drove well to usurp the Lotus Cortinas and finished 5th, albeit a lap down on the Mustangs:-

The Frankel/Williams Alfa GTA slips passed the Shelby Mustang GT350 of David Wenman, through Coram Curve. The Mustang failed to finish, but the Alfa made good progress from the back of the grid to finish 9th:-

The Churchill/Baldwin Mini Cooper S finished last of the 13 classified finishers but Mike Wrigley failed to finish in his LC:-

The Frankel/Williams GTA, again pressing on through the Bombhole, about to lap the sister car of Brustio/Smith which finished 11th:-

In period the Jaguar Mk11 was a dominant force. Unfortunately for the Mk11, in historic grouping, it now falls between two stalls, since it is too new for the period covered by the pre 60's and too old to compete with the later mid 60's cars. A lovely thing to watch though, and Chris Scragg, fresh from his E-type win, takes the saloon through the Esses to finish 10th:-

John Young was only headed briefly, and that was by Robert Hartley who made the quicker pit stop. Young soon reasserted himself though, and here he is seen having just recaptured the lead. Hartley, for a short while, looked as though he was going to make a race of it but in the end gave best to Young who finished 4 seconds ahead:-

Last edited by John Turner; 2 Apr 2008 at 08:53.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2167608)   #64
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I totally agree about your comments re Jaguar Mk2's - they look and soun superb and good on the ever improving Chris Scragg to race one, he is clearly a fellow Jaguar nut!!
Nice to see Robert Hartley out on a track again - he is a great "Gentleman Driver", very talented and a good bloke! I look forward to seeing him peddle his Pantera when its finished
Old 2 Apr 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2167616)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
You will note that the winning Alan Mann liveried John Young car is RHD. I thought all Mustangs were LHD. Was this factory produced RHD or a later conversion?
Old 2 Apr 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2167661)   #66
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Behind the Mustangs on the grid were 3 Lotus Cortinas, and the grid comprised of 17 cars in all.
I think only 2 of the 3 Cortinas started the race, mine had no gearbox in it!
Old 2 Apr 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2167698)   #67
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
interesting re Jags, you could almost have a 60-63 and a 64-66 race such was the pace of developement and arrival of homologation/race specials nearly all of the pre 64 saloons have semi retired or have been redeveloped do different regs, and only appear occaisionally which is a great shame as they where really the last true entirely production saloon cars raced.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 10:32 (Ref:2167699)   #68
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, sorry Roger. There were 2 others further down the grid though, and 3 finished - confused myself - nothing new there, then!
Old 2 Apr 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2167705)   #69
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree Zef it is a shame and as Mk2 Jaguars are not cheap to run only the true Jaguar fan is going to enter one. I think I am right in saying that there are few FIA spec ones around - the two which run with HSCC/HRSR are I think HRSR spec
Old 2 Apr 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2168034)   #70
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iain "Delta" Rowley has asked me to post on his behalf. He apologises for not posting since Saturday, but just wanted to say how much he enjoyed meeting Terence and Peter. Maybe next time we'll find time for a beer as well!

Snett Saturday, Donington Sunday, Load the truck Monday morning, Peter Baldwin's rolling road Monday afternoon, ferry Monday evening for the drive to Mugello. 300 miles to go as at 17:30 this evening. He should know better at his age!
Old 2 Apr 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2168043)   #71
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Shouldn't we all?
Old 2 Apr 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2168061)   #72
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan
Iain "Delta" Rowley has asked me to post on his behalf. He apologises for not posting since Saturday, but just wanted to say how much he enjoyed meeting Terence and Peter. Maybe next time we'll find time for a beer as well!

Snett Saturday, Donington Sunday, Load the truck Monday morning, Peter Baldwin's rolling road Monday afternoon, ferry Monday evening for the drive to Mugello. 300 miles to go as at 17:30 this evening. He should know better at his age!
Thanks Alan,Lets hope he has the strength to drive back again.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 18:37 (Ref:2168069)   #73
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some Mustangs were converted in period to RHD when they landed over here.

More of interest though is that the GT350 should not be in the Top Hat race. Fastbacks are termed as sports cars and the Coupes as saloons. GT350 is not FIA homogated for saloon racing.

GT350's generally don't compete too well as they have to run in GT racing against Cobras etc, whearas the Coupes, as we know, are very competitive in saloon racing, both body styles being virtually mechanically identical.

So, if the Masters are keeping an eye on the tech side of things how or why was an unhomologated car allowed to run??
Old 2 Apr 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2168180)   #74
Good Times
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey / Texas
Good Times should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT350's are legal. See regulation 3.2.3
Old 2 Apr 2008, 23:29 (Ref:2168239)   #75
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies..........you are indeed correct.

That'll serve me right to keep my downloaded regs up to date