Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Nov 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2342352)   #51
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All these qualifying gimmicks are ridiculous.

Bring back the old system, make is 45 minutes instead of an hour, and to cure the boredom of no cars on track, simply have a rule that each drive must at least clock a timed lap in each 15 minute block.

At least then there'll be cars out on track all the time and we'll return to the old banzai style qualifying where it could change every 2 seconds in the last five minutes.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 19:46 (Ref:2342363)   #52
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
Bring back the old system, make is 45 minutes instead of an hour, and to cure the boredom of no cars on track, simply have a rule that each drive must at least clock a timed lap in each 15 minute block.
I say just go the whole hog.

Who cares if there's a boring period with a couple of backmarkers sweeping the track? The casual fans don't watch quali and the enthusiasts would appreciate the pure sporting element.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 20:07 (Ref:2342372)   #53
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really miss the ol' one hour session. Even with the boring 1st half.

And, i'd add that the boring part added to the climax of the end of the session.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2342403)   #54
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh

And, i'd add that the boring part added to the climax of the end of the session.
It helps to have decent commentators that can fill in the spaces (Julian Ryder and Toby Moody did this very well for MotoGP).
Old 27 Nov 2008, 00:17 (Ref:2342511)   #55
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
what a farce.

the more complicated you make the sessions, the more you need to regulate to ensure drivers get a fair outcome, and regulation is about the last thing F1 needs right now!

the proposed system would see cars outed for traffic issues, and more uneven fines and penalties than you can poke a stick at.

the current system is fine, as has been suggested, with perhaps a top 10 (1 lap) shootout on low fuel. This means the track is empty enough for the top guys to show their mettle. We get to see all the drivers drive a full hot lap (at the moment we just get to see them cross the finish line), that's the entertaining part of the sport - ie DRIVING A CAR! Not the off track whining, which is the only thing that the proposed rules would see increased...
Old 27 Nov 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2342539)   #56
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
The problem is though that the post-qualifying parc fermé involves more than the ban of refuelling after qualifying.
The rules can still either allow or ban other changes after qualifying. I don't see why refuelling changes this?
Old 27 Nov 2008, 02:40 (Ref:2342551)   #57
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The DTM seem to have got it right with qualifying-half hour free for all then a top ten shoot-out to try and improve position, fuel being irrelevant. Nice and simple!
Old 27 Nov 2008, 06:53 (Ref:2342593)   #58
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How about an unrestricted 60 minute free-for-all, but...

... have sprinklers all around the track, which will set in at a random rime during the session. They'll all scramble to get in quick lap after quick lap.

Old 27 Nov 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2342706)   #59
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of all the recent qualifying formats, The One hour fastest takes Pole seems to be the best. In a pinch make it 45 Mins.

I say, it's time for a Pole Poll!
Old 27 Nov 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2342879)   #60
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
20 minutes with them all on the track.

5 minute break before the fastest 12 go out for a 15 minute session with 50 litres each at the beginning of the session.

Then a top 8 shoot out single lap qualifying run on low fuel, whatever it may be. $100K for pole, $50k, $30K, $10k for 2-4th
Race day they can fuel up to whatever they want.

This would provide some spectacle for Bernie and the TV boys and help us see who was really the fastest combo out there.

Last edited by Teretonga; 27 Nov 2008 at 19:01.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2343163)   #61
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still can't quite get this. There are no points for qualifying. That isn't what the sport is. Why the obsession with knowing which is the quicker car & driver over one lap when the actual sport takes place over a distance 60 or 70 times longer? It would be like making an effort to separate footballers by seeing who can run once down the pitch the fastest, despite the obvious fact that a bit more stamina will be required in the game proper.

Actually, qualifying with race fuel simply means that they are kind of doing the first lap of the race but in a controlled way - so it is more like the real thing than "low fuel" qualifying.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2343176)   #62
ThaRobster
Rookie

ThaRobster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
It would be like making an effort to separate footballers by seeing who can run once down the pitch the fastest...
You mean like they did in the 90's? Being a closet Sheffield Wednesday fan, I'll never forget the sight of 8 footballers, including David Hurst legging it down a 100m grass track in full kit, boots and shin-pads

Comedy Gold.

Anyway, what was that about qualifying?
Old 28 Nov 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2343197)   #63
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we're losing track of what "Qualifying" is for.

Wasn't it a method of sorting out who of the 30-40+ entrants would qualify for the race? a method of weeding out the ill prepared?

Now we only have 20 entrants, and they all qualify.. what's the point? ..How long is it since we heard that "Car number 35 failed to qualify.." it doesn't happen.

Just start in the order you finished the last race. and be done with it. Or have a sprint race on Saturday for extra championship points.

....Or drum up 30 entrants.. :-)
Old 28 Nov 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2343433)   #64
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The grid arranged according to the previous race's finishing order is one system I don't mind the idea of having, but I'd rather have qualifying just because it is a chance to see the cars in action on Saturday.

Glen, you don't think there is something of value in seeing the cars driven absolutely on the ragged edge of performance? You know that when they are on fresh tyres, with all but no fuel, set-up for those conditions, provided the driver is of a suitable standard, you are seeing the vehicles on the absolute limit of their performance envelope.

For me that is something worth seeing, and I would miss it if it wan't around in some form. It is also why I would like to see all of qualifying on fumes.

Last edited by Dutton; 28 Nov 2008 at 17:57.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2343485)   #65
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
you are seeing the vehicles on the absolute limit of their performance envelope.
And this is why the guy in the Force India appears to be going a hell of a lot faster than the others......until you look at the timing screen that is.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2343512)   #66
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=Glen]I still can't quite get this. There are no points for qualifying. That isn't what the sport is. Why the obsession with knowing which is the quicker car & driver over one lap when the actual sport takes place over a distance 60 or 70 times longer? It would be like making an effort to separate footballers by seeing who can run once down the pitch the fastest, despite the obvious fact that a bit more stamina will be required in the game proper.
QUOTE]

I agree Glen. It seems to come from the obsession that qualifying is all important for the race. That only becomes so when you can't pass or it is extremely difficult....as it has been in this last decade. Otherwise its a test session to see how quick your car is compared with the others and if you need to optomise some changes for the race.
The trouble is the races are sometimes no longer races...theres little wheel to wheel racing or passing.
My post regards a system was simply an attempt to provide something that might succeed in satisying the various opinions but in reality 15-20 minute shoot out would be all that was required if TV and the 'entertainment show' people were not involved.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2344886)   #67
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Glen, you don't think there is something of value in seeing the cars driven absolutely on the ragged edge of performance? You know that when they are on fresh tyres, with all but no fuel, set-up for those conditions, provided the driver is of a suitable standard, you are seeing the vehicles on the absolute limit of their performance envelope.

For me that is something worth seeing, and I would miss it if it wan't around in some form. It is also why I would like to see all of qualifying on fumes.
These days most of the race is run flat-out anyway (often engines turned down for final stint) so you are always seeing the car flat-out. Difference is that for quali you are watching a brand new tyre (and possibly minimal fuel). Pretty slight difference - same thing to watch. Prob major thing is that qualifying is clear of traffic.

I like qualifying, by the way (I just like any F1 at all!) but I don't have any problem with having some fuel in the cars. No big deal - it is fine as it is.