Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Jun 2009, 02:50 (Ref:2485643)   #51
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember a recovery marshal got into trouble at an Adelaide F1 GP many years ago riding around on a tow truck on pit straight with a Gravel Monkey style mask on.

Someone mentioned F1 inspections earlier, well some of the activities during the FIA Stewards inspections at Adelaide is the stuff of legend and a shame the fun police stopped it when the event moved to Albert Park.....

Perhaps a topic for a thread of it's own one day.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:12 (Ref:2485700)   #52
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow! I really didnt envision this thread would be so controversial! I have retired my hat due to supersticious reasons NOT because I was told not to wear it! But I will advocate professionalism at all times as those who have worked with me will know. Duty first, fun and laughs later!

Thanks for the replies folks but lets not fall out or leave our wonderful world of Marshaling for the sake of pedantry. Just smile and continue to have the humour we are blessed with and do our very valuable jobs.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2485763)   #53
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle_BBG View Post
Does wearing a non standard, non conforming hat make *anyone* a lesser marshal ? Does it affect a person's abilities or judgement ?
Nope. And no-one in this thread has even suggested or implied that to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle_BBG View Post
If a driver's first sight from an upturned car is a marshal in a silly hat, does anyone think the driver is honestly going to care ?
Actually yes I do. Anyone who has ever been in an accident, particuarly one that may have caused head injuries, will be able to attest that you tend not to be at your most alert. Seeing someone in a silly hat could be extremely disconcerting. Not to mention that, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, these hats are hardly suitable for attending incidents in. It's just common sense and that's what the majority of people show - wear 'em for the craic, but game faces on when you have a live track.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2485987)   #54
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
Its not that the HSE that are obsessive, its people that interpret their guidelines badly that create that myth.
My view entirely. Half the stuff you read about garden fetes being cancelled because people walk on grass, therefore they need insurance cover, is an overreaction and misinterpretation by the organisers but blamed on the HSE.

As for hats. Have fun in down time, look like a pro in up time.

I forget if it was F1 or Toca but someone somewhere once told me to wear the sponsor's baseball cap instead of my Tilley. I said words to the effect of:
1. It's hot day. I will wear a wide brimmed hat to protect my neck from the sun and you cannot make me wear dangerous headgear.
2. If the sponsors want me to act as an advertising hoarding then my fee is £600 a day in advance.
3. While every bit of my kit is paid for by me, while I travel here at my own expense, and while I remain a complete volunteer who has not been advised of any special clothing instructions in advance of the meeting, then I will please myself, provided what I wear conforms to safety requirements.
4. If you send any marshal away for not wearing your official bloody logo, expect 240 others to follow him. Have a nice day.

He left.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 16:54 (Ref:2485992)   #55
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
My view entirely. Half the stuff you read about garden fetes being cancelled because people walk on grass, therefore they need insurance cover, is an overreaction and misinterpretation by the organisers but blamed on the HSE.

As for hats. Have fun in down time, look like a pro in up time.

I forget if it was F1 or Toca but someone somewhere once told me to wear the sponsor's baseball cap instead of my Tilley. I said words to the effect of:
1. It's hot day. I will wear a wide brimmed hat to protect my neck from the sun and you cannot make me wear dangerous headgear.
2. If the sponsors want me to act as an advertising hoarding then my fee is £600 a day in advance.
3. While every bit of my kit is paid for by me, while I travel here at my own expense, and while I remain a complete volunteer who has not been advised of any special clothing instructions in advance of the meeting, then I will please myself, provided what I wear conforms to safety requirements.
4. If you send any marshal away for not wearing your official bloody logo, expect 240 others to follow him. Have a nice day.

He left.
Here! Here!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2486145)   #56
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems as if a sense of humour by-pass is in operation here as my comments were clearly pitched to be "OTT", but highlighted the problem that too often "elf'n safety" is a get out for all sorts of thing. I had expected that such a clearly facetious remark would be seen for what it was, a humorous dig at the overly "risk assessed" culture that exists in many areas today.

It is true that I am wary of too much attention being given to what we wear as volunteers, providing it is "fit for purpose", I would hate to see "closely mandated" kit being required.

Maybe the HSE maybe only has itself to blame for guidelines that are so "open to interpretation". Having worked in Construction, Rail and on water I am very aware of the HSE and their aims - however corrupted they become by lawyers/insurers/petty officialdom - something the HSE should maybe attack head on to "preserve their authority"

The HSE angle was the reason I added the smiley.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV
Old 18 Jun 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2486152)   #57
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a very good edition of Panorama on HSE and the myths surrounding it, which pretty much said that it was the interpratation rather than the rule... To return to topic, I have never worn a daft hat, I prefer a simple baseball cap [no I don't wear a full face helmet on post despite my dashing good looks], mostly because I'm most comfortable in it, partially because it's more likely to stay there, and partially because it doesn't get in the way. I don't have a problem if people want to have fun with their hobby, but it would be sensible to ditch a hat in the event of an incident to avoid problems later on. The other thing is that as a flaggy I wouldn't be too keen on any large hats that happened to be Red or yellow for obvious reasons!
Old 19 Jun 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2486392)   #58
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mistaken for Santa on holiday?
Old 19 Jun 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2486439)   #59
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can see why!
Old 19 Jun 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2486543)   #60
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
I don't follow?
Old 19 Jun 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2486549)   #61
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
neither do i!!
Old 20 Jun 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2487100)   #62
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockhill Nugget View Post
3 of them are from knockers. seen them to when i was watching on sky+ coz of the GT's at knockers. shocker to see Michel grant and alan sitting on there A***.
Not entirely sure about what you mean "from knockers"..... Pictures were taken from the TV screen during Le Mans coverage (hence the EuroSport logo on them) so do you mean 3 of the lads were "from knockers" (ie Knockhill)?

Anyway - hope the photos go down well !!!!!!
Old 20 Jun 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2487105)   #63
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Not entirely sure about what you mean "from knockers"..... so do you mean 3 of the lads were from "knockers"?
You've got it Shelagh, knockers = Knockhill.

But, even I might've have got it wrong....mmmm.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2487120)   #64
Knockhill Nugget
Rookie

Scotland
falkirk
Knockhill Nugget should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not entirely sure about what you mean "from knockers"..... Pictures were taken from the TV screen during Le Mans coverage (hence the EuroSport logo on them) so do you mean 3 of the lads were "from knockers" (ie Knockhill)?

Anyway - hope the photos go down well !!!!!!
ye that was Alan grant and David. well 3 of them were anyway. the 1's in the jimmy's
Old 20 Jun 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2487149)   #65
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Knockill Knugget - please translate for the English/Welsh who don't speak Scottish. Thank You.
Old 20 Jun 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2487154)   #66
Knockhill Nugget
Rookie

Scotland
falkirk
Knockhill Nugget should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Knockill Knugget - please translate for the English/Welsh who don't speak Scottish. Thank You.
the 3 of them are the 1 in the jester, the 1 in the nessy hat (think thats easy to understand) and the last one has the tarten bunet (hat) with the ginger hair. hope that helps
Old 20 Jun 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2487155)   #67
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
He Said

"Yes, that was Alan, Grant and David. Well, 3 of them were anyway. They were the ones in the Orange overalls"

I think that's what he said anyway.

Ah, there's the definitive translation!

Last edited by The STIG; 20 Jun 2009 at 20:53. Reason: Update
Old 21 Jul 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2505389)   #68
Foxy_Marshal
Rookie

Scotland
Scotland
Foxy_Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very interesting reading this thread.
I think it has been blown completely out of proportion. If you are asked by the organising club to not do something, ie dont wear funny hats, then, that is the organising clubs decision.
They are after all, the organisation that is paying for the track for that day.
Yes we are all volunteers but at the end of the day, money is being spent on that event by the organising club.
Now i know there will be the back lash, ' There would be no motorsport if there was no marshals ............'
In very basic terms, if there was no organising clubs, there would be no motorsport.
The way the world is with the economy etc, clubs are spending money to provide an event for drivers to race at and for us to Marshal
here end my view and now bring on the rants
Old 21 Jul 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2505519)   #69
Brian Mac
Teabagging Is My Life
Racer

United Kingdom
Maccy-Ds Hut, Kirkistown
Brian Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is all getting very silly....!!!!!!!
So i will add to it by asking this question??

Does wearing a small Orange and black furry animal dressed in a race suit as a mascot in your overalls deam unsuitable ??
Old 21 Jul 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2505664)   #70
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mac View Post
This is all getting very silly....!!!!!!!
So i will add to it by asking this question??

Does wearing a small Orange and black furry animal dressed in a race suit as a mascot in your overalls deam unsuitable ??
Here's the answer you require, no!
Old 21 Jul 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2505757)   #71
Brian Mac
Teabagging Is My Life
Racer

United Kingdom
Maccy-Ds Hut, Kirkistown
Thanks Red-08

Im so glad TIGGERs survived
Old 21 Jul 2009, 23:33 (Ref:2505793)   #72
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Frankly, Brian, I'm not sure you're in a position to advise:

Old 22 Jul 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2505921)   #73
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK so we are devolving into silly mascots eh? Well the crab may have to make an appearance!
Old 22 Jul 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2506127)   #74
Brian Mac
Teabagging Is My Life
Racer

United Kingdom
Maccy-Ds Hut, Kirkistown

Woolley were did you dig that up from?
do you realise what you may have started, GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

EP is bound to give her tuppence worth i think.
Old 22 Jul 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2506130)   #75
Brian Mac
Teabagging Is My Life
Racer

United Kingdom
Maccy-Ds Hut, Kirkistown
Especially when Alien Marshal is right smack in the middle of the picture.