Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is it going to be...
Jenson Button 22 23.91%
Lewis Hamilton 70 76.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Nov 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2584759)   #51
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell View Post
But back to the main point, who will grow a better beard? Hamilton or Button?
You don't really understand McLaren. Neither driver will be allowed even to think about it.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 03:25 (Ref:2584761)   #52
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Team Orders
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2584849)   #53
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Perhaps, just perhaps, Button really wants to see how good he actually is? How would someone who is world champion think, knowing there is a possibility that there is someone out there better than him - wouldn't they want to find out? I would, even if it went pear shaped.

I think LH is the best natural driver on the grid, JB is one of the more clinical. They are very different drivers. Should be an interesting battle. If the car is any good, which it should be, I'd go for a Macca 1-2 , with LH 1.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2584856)   #54
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Just found this from Autosport, which seems to confirm what I put in previous post.

Quote:
"Would I fancy my chances against him? Well every driver would, every driver wants to show to themselves more than anyone else how good they are."

Button believes that you have to be willing to go up against the best drivers in the world in equal machinery to prove yourself in Formula 1.

"We all think we are up there with the best of them, but when you look at it you don't know if you are better than someone else unless you are racing against them in the same car," he said.
In addition, perhaps he thinks next years Mclaren is going to be a better car than the others (esp. Brawn) - if that turns out to be the case, then its better to come second in the championship, than further down the order in an inferior car. Look at the speed with which this years car improved. I never expected it to even trouble the podium all year, yet it actually won a few races!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2584859)   #55
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Perhaps, just perhaps, Button really wants to see how good he actually is? How would someone who is world champion think, knowing there is a possibility that there is someone out there better than him - wouldn't they want to find out? I would, even if it went pear shaped.
That would be a very surprising thing to think and to do. The chances of it going pear shaped are very high. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this could be a career ending move for Jenson. If Lewis wipes the floor with him... a possibility that can't be ruled out... his stock will be significantly devalued and people will then start to draw questions over the value of his personal contribution to his WDC title. If the latter happened, that would be very sad indeed because in my mind there's no such thing as an unworthy WDC, irrespective of how good the car is.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 09:04 (Ref:2584866)   #56
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
He beat Rubens. So did TGF.

Seems alright to me.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2584874)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
That would be a very surprising thing to think and to do. The chances of it going pear shaped are very high. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this could be a career ending move for Jenson. If Lewis wipes the floor with him... a possibility that can't be ruled out... his stock will be significantly devalued and people will then start to draw questions over the value of his personal contribution to his WDC title. If the latter happened, that would be very sad indeed because in my mind there's no such thing as an unworthy WDC, irrespective of how good the car is.
And if it's the other way around?
Old 19 Nov 2009, 10:14 (Ref:2584898)   #58
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
haha This is a good point...!!!

But this is what competition's all about. It's a ballsy move, or perhaps it's greedy - Maybe it's even a bit of both.

But who wins? The viewer, of course

Selby
Old 19 Nov 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2584919)   #59
Andy Harrison
Rookie

Andy Harrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post

I think LH is the best natural driver on the grid, JB is one of the more clinical. They are very different drivers. Should be an interesting battle. If the car is any good, which it should be, I'd go for a Macca 1-2 , with LH 1.
My thoughts exactly!
I think Hamilton will prove to be the superior driver but Button will cause a few upsets over the course of the season.
Final result McLaren 1-2 with Hamilton winning WDC No.2!
Old 19 Nov 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2584920)   #60
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I can't help but laugh when I see people describing Button's McLaren switch as brave or foolish. This time last year he was contemplating the dole. Now, for the first time in his career, he has been offered a seat with one of the big two. It's a no brainer.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2584921)   #61
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
I don't think its surprising at all given the personality/drive required to get to the top in F1. You have to think you are the best or damn close to it, otherwise you won't win.

I think JB is good enough to give LH a run for his money, but not good enough to consistently beat him however.

As to worthiness, he won the title, therefore he is worthy. Simples.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2584929)   #62
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It will be down to who the car suits best as their driving styles are very different. However as McLaren have been developing a car for Hamilton for 3 years it is likely that the 2010 car will suite Hamilton's style. It will be very interesting but my money is on Alonso for the 2010 WDC.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2584951)   #63
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My money's on a showdown between Hamilton, Vettel and Rosberg. Should be great.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:26 (Ref:2584959)   #64
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Vettel,Rosberg,Button,Heidfeld,Massa,Raikkonen(?),Hamilton,Alonso,Webber etc, because in the end it will all just be down to pure circumstance.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2584968)   #65
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Eureka,

I've worked it out!

The guy who overtook more cars on track this season, won more races and basically dominated the season (even when he wasn't winning) is crap. But he won because the other drivers were crappier this year (it must be the logic no?). But, next year, he'll still be crap but those drivers who, let's face it, he made look pretty second hand at times this year, will be so gobsmakingly brilliant that by the end of the second race we'll see Button replaced with Katayama.

Phew, glad we sorted that out. Roll on 2011 is what I say.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2584978)   #66
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Eureka,

I've worked it out!

The guy who overtook more cars on track this season, won more races and basically dominated the season (even when he wasn't winning) is crap. But he won because the other drivers were crappier this year (it must be the logic no?). But, next year, he'll still be crap but those drivers who, let's face it, he made look pretty second hand at times this year, will be so gobsmakingly brilliant that by the end of the second race we'll see Button replaced with Katayama.

Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2584985)   #67
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Eureka,

I've worked it out!

You forgot to mention that 'the guy who overtook more cars on track this season' happened to be in his car when the overtaking took place. Did he make the drivers look second hand or did he make the driver/car combos look second hand ? Whatever the case, he'll not be in that car next year, but in a different one. One that he overtook this year. We'll have to see what combo looks second hand then.

Now repeat that quickly with 10 pints down you
Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2584997)   #68
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Did he make the drivers look second hand or did he make the driver/car combos look second hand ?
He made the driver/car combos look secondhand, because that's what happens all the time isn't it.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2585026)   #69
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
This conversation has a two word answer...
Senna, Prost.

Carry on.
Or possibly Senna, Berger?

This might be the most interesting thing in F1 for years. The perception by the majority (and I'd include myself in this) is that Hamilton will wipe out Button.

The only way for Button to overturn that perception is to go head to head in the same car for a team which notoriously provides equal equipment and the opportunity to use it. And while I'm not a fan of Button, I warmly aplaud him for taking on that task. And may even watch the odd race to see how it goes - it could be very exciting.

So Vettel for world champ, then
Old 19 Nov 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2585029)   #70
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post

So Vettel for world champ, then
It's a good bet.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2585050)   #71
kevind
Rookie

England
Watford
kevind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I can't help but laugh when I see people describing Button's McLaren switch as brave or foolish. This time last year he was contemplating the dole. Now, for the first time in his career, he has been offered a seat with one of the big two. It's a no brainer.
Agreed, and I hope that RBR are still in the mix as well.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2585136)   #72
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now, Im not a big JB fan, nor a Hamilton fan, but I realize that Jenson had some exceptional performances in 2009 that wasnt all just down to the great car. Maybe he can challenge Hamilton in some races. Its not unthinkable
Old 19 Nov 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2585143)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim Sjøholm View Post
Now, Im not a big JB fan, nor a Hamilton fan, but I realize that Jenson had some exceptional performances in 2009 that wasnt all just down to the great car. Maybe he can challenge Hamilton in some races. Its not unthinkable
Good post and shows balance. He had some dire races but even then pulled a point. People tend to forget those things. That is why he beat Vettel really, because when it went pear shaped for RBR their drivers couldn't hold it together. You may want to call that "class".

This is why the prospect of next season is so enticing. I can see Lewis learning a lot from this and going on to bigger and better things, whilst I see another WDC for Jenson (2011/2012) purely because of the competition.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2585147)   #74
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I can see Lewis learning a lot from this and going on to bigger and better things
I think this applies both ways. Jenson will have a much better chance of winning another WDC if he can learn to handle a loose rear a little more.
Old 19 Nov 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2585148)   #75
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, another perspective...losing to Lewis will do less harm to his career then getting beaten by Rosberg. I doubt that has factored into his thinking, but if Rosberg had come into his team and beaten him in his first year, then being beaten by Rosberg , a largely unknow qty would have made mockery of his WDC.

However, going up against Lewis in a McLaren, well if he lose then the exuse book of team bias around their golden boy and a look back at the troubles Montoya nd Alonso had means he will still be a credible WDC as the environment may not be right.

LOL, actually, yeh i bored and thats a stretch, but do believe being beaten by Rosberg would have been far worse then being beaten by Hamo