Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2011, 14:08 (Ref:2984855)   #51
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Except Button has the 'tache.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2984857)   #52
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just think who cares about championships when we have Grands Prix? Such an enticing battle in prospect up at the front there.

The unusual circuit is even growing on me! (Although that win on the Playstation game helped my appreciation of it).
Old 12 Nov 2011, 14:44 (Ref:2984871)   #53
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Great qualifying session, exciting towards the end I thought...
Old 12 Nov 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2984977)   #54
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I just think who cares about championships when we have Grands Prix? Such an enticing battle in prospect up at the front there.

The unusual circuit is even growing on me! (Although that win on the Playstation game helped my appreciation of it).
No one seems to like Abu Dhabi, I admit it's not the best circuit for racing but the setting is stunning..
Old 12 Nov 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2984980)   #55
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another pole for Vettel and his 'soft drinks' company' car! It does look like it is going to be another walkover for the young German. Still, it was an exciting qualifying session, I thought that Jenson could have taken his first McLaren pole, it wasn't to be!
Old 12 Nov 2011, 19:12 (Ref:2984985)   #56
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I think Lewis will win this race...
Old 12 Nov 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2984993)   #57
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Yes. Downforce as a whole is a ludicrous concept that is irrelevant to cars.
I disagree. Downforce and drag are inextricably linked - and drag is VERY important to road cars.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2985005)   #58
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I disagree. Downforce and drag are inextricably linked - and drag is VERY important to road cars.
Indeed, fuel economy for a start!

Ironically, that's something the McLaren is somtimes prettyt marginal on?
Old 12 Nov 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2985010)   #59
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I think Lewis will win this race...
You said that last time.

But anyone except Vettel would do nicely.

Quote:
Only in so far as it's a bad thing. F1 cars balance downforce against drag. That's why we see that the Red Bull cars are never anywhere near the top of the list when it comes to top speed. Play to your strengths.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2985016)   #60
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
You said that last time.

But anyone except Vettel would do nicely.

Only in so far as it's a bad thing. F1 cars balance downforce against drag. That's why we see that the Red Bull cars are never anywhere near the top of the list when it comes to top speed. Play to your strengths.
Okay well I am saying it again, I am willing it to happen! As I like most am bored with Sebastian running off into the distance..
Old 12 Nov 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2985046)   #61
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Okay well I am saying it again, I am willing it to happen! As I like most am bored with Sebastian running off into the distance..
But are you bored of LH crashing into people. If not, make sure you watch tomorrow.
Old 12 Nov 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2985047)   #62
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
But are you bored of LH crashing into people. If not, make sure you watch tomorrow.
Just stop it...
Old 12 Nov 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2985049)   #63
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just stop it...
Said Massa...
Old 12 Nov 2011, 22:39 (Ref:2985068)   #64
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Great qualifying today. I have aired my views about being underwhelmed with F1 racing because of downforce, but qualifying is always good, whatever the circuit really, and today was excellent.
Shame they can't then take off all the downforce after qualifying and then have some exciting racing
Old 12 Nov 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2985086)   #65
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
No they're not. You can't have downforce without drag, but you can have drag without downforce. And come to think of it, you can't have movement without drag.

If we took away the downforce from a current F1 car but left it otherwise the same, it would have an incredible top speed. But the top speed on any given circuit would be similar to current (intuitive comment - I haven't calculated it) because the cars would be accelerating onto each straight from much lower speeds. And they would have to start braking much much earlier.

A spinning car would decelerate at roughly the same rate as a current car (because a current car doesn't have downforce in any direction except forwards) but would be attempting to take a corner at a much lower speed. Therefore run-offs could be much smaller.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 02:00 (Ref:2985142)   #66
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The aerodynamic designer has two primary concerns: the creation of downforce, to help push the car's tyres onto the track and improve cornering forces; and minimising the drag that gets caused by turbulence and acts to slow the car down.

Get those two things right and you're in business, but you'll also need to factor in power level and fuel level requirements. One of which may be fixed, as it is, more or less, with the engine.

However, as is being discussed in another thread, carrying a very limited fixed amount of fuel changes the whole thing.

Road cars rarely travel at speeds where aero efficiency really matters that much (what's your average speed on your trip computer ?).

You'll generally need around eight times more power to go twice as fast if all other parameters remain the same. So your average 70 bhp family hatchback can achieve around 100 mph, but you'll need about 550 bhp or so to reach 200 mph. That's drag for you!

News just in: FIA to extend DRS zone, "amid fears that overtaking will be too hard".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96161

Last edited by Marbot; 13 Nov 2011 at 02:18.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 04:55 (Ref:2985291)   #67
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Looks like Lewis is aiming for Vettel instead of Massa this time
http://en.espnf1.com/abudhabi/motors...ory/64133.html
Old 13 Nov 2011, 05:20 (Ref:2985311)   #68
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
TA, unless your drag-inducing surfaces are perfectly vertical, they will produce either lift or downforce, but this can also change with the pitch-up or pitch-down of the vehicle. Also, don't count on the cars only producing downforce when going forward. There are minimum requirements for how fast a car must be able to go at 90 and 180 degrees yaw before it can lift off.

Also, an aero-neutral vehicle would be unable to self-damp any natural reaction to a disturbance. If cars start fish-tailing and wiping out in the middle of straightaways because of this, the FIA might require huge run-off zones on either side of straightaways.

Without downforce, the cars would have to be completely redesigned because of the difference in loadings on every part of the car. Without the downforce, the current cars would be too stiff, and thus, so jittery as to be literally undriveable. They would simply react too violently to any disturbance for a human to possibly be able to keep the machine in line for very long.

With the newer breed of tracks, your plan won't work to shorten run-offs at corners either. Run-off might be made somewhat smaller at some fast corners. However, run-off size is determined by the terminal velocity achieved at the end of the straight. With minimal downforce, the long straights on newer tracks will be faster, because many of these straights are preceded by slow corners now, where it's mechanical grip that matter more anyway. Therefore, you'd be required to make the run-offs at those hairpins larger, NOT smaller. Also, if the approach to a fast corner is long enough for the terminal velocity on the straight before it to be higher than with the downforce, then that fast corner will be required to have more run-off as well.

You see, TrapezeArtist, it's NOT so simple a problem to solve.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 12:45 (Ref:2985527)   #69
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Road cars rarely travel at speeds where aero efficiency really matters that much (what's your average speed on your trip computer ?).
I hate to argue but this is simply not so. Once you get over about 30mph aerodynamics dominates your cars fuel economy. Remember to deal with the aero drag at 60mph requires 8 times the power you need at 30, at 90 that becomes 27 times the power. Even on a road car efficiency at a steady speed is all about aero although of course acceleration is all about power to weight ratio but aerodynamics are massively important to road cars.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2985533)   #70
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vettel off with a puncture!
Old 13 Nov 2011, 13:06 (Ref:2985534)   #71
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now let's see Vettel do some overtaking.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2985535)   #72
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vettel is out, game over to him.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2985536)   #73
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Damn. I really wanted to witness a Vettel charge.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2985545)   #74
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Vettel is out, game over to him.
Wonderful, isn't it !
Old 13 Nov 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2985588)   #75
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Red Bull being sensitive then blocking the camera.