Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 18 Sep 2002, 10:46 (Ref:383231)   #51
bobajob
Rookie

bobajob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by medler
Rat Catcher well done on getting the job with van diemen, because in the past you have fiercely denied being employed by them and told us the information was from a friend who works for them. It seems that van diemens success might be because if you attract the best drivers you can win and if you win you attract the best drivers, but do you offer the best package in terms of testing, engineering and kit? More time testing etc might be better for a novice in fford.
Medler, I think your assessment of the Van Diemen situation is pretty accurate. The issues that people dont' see are the alleged favoritism, internal politics, attitude towards their customers (drivers) etc. When any good drivers with experience have driven for rival teams in the past, they have taken on and beaten VD. Button in 1998, Kiesa 1999, Dahlgren in 2001 and maybe (but I think not) England in 2002. One championship in four years isn't a record you would shout from the roof tops about. So why do the drivers want to go there in their drooves? If Haywood were still in FF I think they would be the first choice for drivers.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 12:09 (Ref:383327)   #52
Fierce Shunt
Rookie

Fierce Shunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ratty, you must be Lewis because if you work with him then you, like everyone else, wouldnt have a good work to say about him. seeing a list of drivers for next year and just very nievely thinking that the world revolves around you is a dangerous head in the sand approach to running a team. what happens when the finn goes elsewhere? everyone, including all the other drivers, will know that you will be taking second best and it will all come crumbling down around your ears.

It looks like you have already decided who your 'pet' is but wouldnt it be better to have signed all your drivers before showing them the reasons not to drive for you/lewis?
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:30 (Ref:383410)   #53
FlyingFinn
Rookie

FlyingFinn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might make sense to someone with a little more grey matter Fierce Shunt, but this man wears acid washed jeans and cream coloured patent leather shoes!! Does that not speak of his sensibilties??!!(notice the proper usage of a question mark)

Last edited by FlyingFinn; 18 Sep 2002 at 13:33.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:58 (Ref:383435)   #54
Master Yoda
Rookie

Master Yoda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Acid washed jeans? Is that the new van diemen teams new team clothing for next year? That should pull the drivers and sponsors in!!
Old 18 Sep 2002, 14:48 (Ref:383475)   #55
slipangle
Rookie

slipangle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that you have all been busy in my thread since I have been away. Nice to see that everyone is getting along as usual when FFord is discussed. Since I never said who I would drive for, I would have to go with JLR. They have definitely challenged Van Diemen this year no matter what anyone says. Once the 1st win was taken, Christian did a superb job in a team that was always destined to win. A team that has a fantastic environment and who really cares about its drivers. I would bet that he takes the championship this weekend by simply outdriving Barber, as he has always done. If I was to go with anyone next year it would be JLR, because whatever that Van Diemen customer/works team rubbish is, it will be just that next year, rubbish. Rat Catchers have to work in the rubbish, because that is where the rats live.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 19:31 (Ref:383645)   #56
RAT CATCHER
Rookie

RAT CATCHER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I said I work at Van Diemen , But not in the race team , I am very sorry if my typing skills are not that good, Also why should I hate him , we get on just fine.
I have seen the list of Drivers I talk about and also seen many come to Van Diemen in the last few weeks for a chat with , your DEMON.
he tells me he thinks it very funny that most of you have nothing better to do than slag him off all the time .
maybe less time on here and more on your cars/teams extra would help you to win more....
I was at thruxton over the last weekend, your DEMON was not.
he was working to win .
as for acid jeans we all no he has no taste...
Old 18 Sep 2002, 20:57 (Ref:383705)   #57
Richard Dean
Rookie

Richard Dean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rat Catcher, Ithought you worked in Clio's? as per your statement in the Barber thread recently that was pulled due to a breach of Forum etiquette. I think the amount of *****ing in the Ford stuff is funny but not as funny as Medlers 'fins aren't whet they used to be' comment. Flying Finn, you know Rat Catcher (Lewis) very well don't you? your comment about him are extremely acurate. I agree with the fact that Nexa have done a good job this year and I think they could win at Donington this weekend with Gaymor. lets hope it's a good race without too many problems.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 21:52 (Ref:383737)   #58
Master Yoda
Rookie

Master Yoda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slipery, you really think that Gaymor will win this weekend? I think you need to be hoping for a race with lots of problems for that to happen..Barber,Heylen and England crashing together on the last lap may do it!
Old 19 Sep 2002, 14:11 (Ref:384163)   #59
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well we all know how last year was decided don't we...

^&%&^*% Dahlgren!
Old 19 Sep 2002, 22:24 (Ref:384456)   #60
Saddam
Rookie

Saddam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
:P

When we get our new car built we are going to blow van diemen off the race track
Old 20 Sep 2002, 07:39 (Ref:384635)   #61
darren b
Rookie

darren b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would pick mackie motorsport because i know from past experience that andy is definately not in motorsport to get rich or ride round in fancy cars on youre money.he has always spent the money on things he thinks he needs to make you go faster rather than just boost his own teams profile and he knows cars and engines inside out.i very much doubht that any of the other team owners have the depth of experience when it comes down to the nuts and bolts end of things that i know andy has gained over the years he does not just talk a good fight give him the right tools and a decent driver and he gets the job done
Old 20 Sep 2002, 11:11 (Ref:384733)   #62
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone who doesn't want to be the 'favoured one' at VD is lying. If that was out I'd pick Andy Mackie, no question, as I think he would help me look better than I really am.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 15:31 (Ref:384882)   #63
rocketrobtvr
Rookie

rocketrobtvr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that JLR are the top team, these days motor racing isnt just about going fast on the track, you need to give sponsors a top day out and be ultra proffesional, JLR look the best and are on top of their game at the moment. I can see JLR Taking over where VDs left off for next year!
Old 20 Sep 2002, 16:38 (Ref:384909)   #64
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who to pick there's so many good teams, i cant really say jamun as that would be biased for several reasons i guess, so i suppose mackie (the competition) for that reason i guess, they're competitive, no one can show off their talent (even though i avent got any) in an old banger that will probably stall on the grid if you're lucky enough to put in a qualifying time
Old 20 Sep 2002, 17:00 (Ref:384916)   #65
sgrok
Racer

sgrok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Er....

Somebody seems to have been posting on my behalf using my identity. However, I agree with most of what 'I've' said.

Basically, I see Formula Ford as a stepping stone, and with so many entry levels to choose from, and simultaneous series it is hard to place any great emphasis on the importance of actually winning the FF championship.

I think it's more important for a young driver to learn and develop over the course of the season, to be nourished and nurtured, and to have a safe and effective environment in which to do it. That way a natural talent will shine through.

However, as always, the FF paddock seems to be a competitive handbag slinging, rumour mill - comprising some very slippery characters indeed. It's easy to get ripped off, and easy to be brushed under the carpet in favour of the driver with the bigger budget/ bigger ego / bigger capacity for brown nosing.

So here is my humble opinion on the options for a driver in FF:
Van Diemen - the team orbits around the not unlike a planet-shaped Mr Lewis, who sweeps through the paddock like the grand dame of Formula Ford. If you can stomach his approach to managment (i.e. you're thick skinned, confident and have enough money to slip him a back hander) then by all means approach VD, but be ready to be turned down - as, if they want you, they'll come to you. Bear in mind Christian England's performances this year and remember being a VD pilot is not a certain place in the c'ship top 4.

JLR - has shone this year, but it has taken them a few years to come through, and they've benefitted from a stability not enjoyed by the newer teams and/or the mygale customers. Don't know enough about the people there to comment, except that experience is bound to have made them professional.

Continental - they did not persevere with Mygale as someone said earlier - they switched before murray, and improved immediately. There's a close relationship there between Wills and Solus, so that could be of benefit, but they seem a bit shabby on appearances and marketing.

Murray - I think this team should be given a chance. They did well to get a championship win over VD, but they've had teething troubles this year which is to be expected. Craig is young, and he will learn as the mighty Yoda might say. Daniellson's performances more recently have redeemed the team as a challenger, and it's a young, fun team with less of the bitterness of the older men in the game.

Nexa - same as murray, being new, they need a few more seasons to bed in, but they have shown a lot of promise and have spent all year narrowly missing a win. They're quiet and unassuming and that seems very professional to me.

As for Mackie, they no longer run a car in the senior c'ship and that's what I've been talking about. So I won't comment on them.

And whoever the sgrok imposter poster is come forward and I'll have some serious words with you. You know who you are (and so do I )
Old 20 Sep 2002, 17:36 (Ref:384937)   #66
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgrok

Continental - they did not persevere with Mygale as someone said earlier - they switched before murray, and improved immediately. There's a close relationship there between Wills and Solus, so that could be of benefit, but they seem a bit shabby on appearances and marketing.

When did they switch? Formulaworld.com still has Jarvis listed in SJ2002s and steadily improving.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 20:26 (Ref:385059)   #67
Saddam
Rookie

Saddam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are building a weapon of mass Van Diemen destruction. With our "ace" FF teams technical experience and nowhow, fantastic PR and marketing skills to bring in the finance, the "new" Van Diemen team are going to fall!!!
Old 22 Sep 2002, 21:48 (Ref:386164)   #68
RAT CATCHER
Rookie

RAT CATCHER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try making gears that work first ?
Old 23 Sep 2002, 17:34 (Ref:386697)   #69
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sgrok; I think your write up of the teams is spot on, but if this new Saddam team is armed with scud missiles they could really hurt the opposition.
P.S. Will all the drivers have to sport big bushy moustaches?
Old 23 Sep 2002, 18:43 (Ref:386757)   #70
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SGROG we havent been in Senior FFord this year cos everybody wanted cheap deals and we did not have any team sponsorship. But when we have been in with Darwin we have been medling at the top. Also with Urquart driving for fun this weekend we had the fastest car by 1 MPH, impressive eh?

Also Rat Catcher, I know who you are. (not any of the big guns at VD)

And I think the Glebe car will be pretty good if they have the money to invest in getting good drivers and plenty of development testing.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 07:43 (Ref:387089)   #71
bobajob
Rookie

bobajob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But will anyone be brave enough and take the plunge and use this new car? It would be good for the Formula if someone did.
Old 24 Sep 2002, 21:23 (Ref:387609)   #72
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I thought this thread was which team would you drive for, not who’s building a new car, but it would be nice to see some different manufacturers in the series.
Going back to the original thread, I know Van Diemen won the championship, but I still don’t think I could handle Rat Catchers (sorry Jonathan Lewis) management style. I think if I was in the position of looking for a drive I’d head towards JLR, they seem to be a very professional set-up and they have a good team spirit. I wonder if Jan Haylen wonders if things would have been different if he had been the chosen one?
Old 25 Sep 2002, 10:25 (Ref:387916)   #73
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Rat catcher is not Lewis, may I just point out.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 08:02 (Ref:388652)   #74
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is everyone so anti-Lewis?

VD did poorly in 98 and 99 so Panoz/Firman brought him in to win things - in 3 years he's won it twice and was only robbed by Dirty Dahlgren in 2001.

So called 'favoured one' - Pat Long - do me a favour!

I must admit I've only met Jonathan Lewis once, to ask him a tech question, but he was very helpful (and polite). I've noted that he's a pretty quick pedaller too...

So, now we know he's not Rat Catcher you'll probably all be thinking I'm him. Personally I think Mackmot is really Lewis. If not him, then maybe sgrok?

Doesn't anyone else thinks its funny that it was him against his old team this year?

Let's see how old you all are - who can tell me, for 10 points, what the JLR actually stands for in Richard Dean's team?

A clue: another 'joker' and sponsored by the Hippodrome.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 12:54 (Ref:388812)   #75
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hummmm I'm Lewis in disguise, I bought a 6'1 costume of a 19 year old from a rival team.

I'm not against him at all I have known him all my life and hes never done anything wrong by me.

JLR is Jim Lee Racing and in the eighties it was also Jonathan Lewis Racing until they both got together in Vauxhall Junior.