Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Nov 2002, 05:02 (Ref:431994)   #51
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racer69: "Plus there is of course the track record..."

What's the problem with the track record? The FIA GT cars would be fast, but why is that a problem? Or is there some unwritten rule that says no car is allowed to lap Bathurst faster than the V8 Supercars?

Last edited by alfasud; 19 Nov 2002 at 05:07.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 05:12 (Ref:432000)   #52
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the "track record" is in reference to how international events like Bathurst 87 are a shambles..
Old 19 Nov 2002, 05:30 (Ref:432003)   #53
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the clarification Crash. I guess I'm a little bit uncertain what was a shambles about it.... I remember the 87 race on TV and the only silly thing I can remember was, why cars that were legal in Europe came down to Bathurst and suddenly had illegal guards..... should have been sorted out before the race (some would say several months before!). Or were you referring to something else?
Old 19 Nov 2002, 05:58 (Ref:432012)   #54
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has been shown that unless a world championship being held in Australia has massive goivernment backing, it is either a failure or a shambles.

Two world Sports Car championships at Sandown (read GT really) showed what can happen - very little interest from the mot racing public and poor support from the competitors themselves.

Bathurst - yes illegal cars - but who said they were legal in Europe? Just because they hadn't been picked up doesn't mean they were legal (IOW read this as 'no one in Europe had the guts to protest them...)

And how many people were aware that there was a World Championship MotoCross event on in Victoria last weekend? Certainly not the public judging by the crowd attendace figures...
Old 19 Nov 2002, 08:51 (Ref:432067)   #55
roscoe
Rookie

Australia
Hampshire, England
roscoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a shame there were problems with the web site information but if you weren't there you missed out. The field might have been thin but there was no shortage of action, particularly the Porsche / Monaro battle.

From what I could see the event was very well organized, especially given that it was the first time it had been run. I also spoke to a lot of people, other drivers, team members and race fans both in the pits and on the mountain and i only heard people saying how good it was and it was pretty obvious from the atmosphere that everyone were having a good time. I'm sure there will be a bigger entry next year and more spectators and the cynics out there will be eating their words. I am already making my plans and can't wait.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 10:25 (Ref:432106)   #56
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I couldnt agree more with you Roscoe. It was just a brilliant event. Cars in the day, cars in the dark. One thing that got me, was walking down the pits at 3:30 am seeing cars having pits stops, it felt really strange, and thats when it really hit me that this is what a 24 hour race is all about. Also watchin the sun rise, just amazing.
Cant wait for next years race, and it would be great 2 meet up with roscoe, if u make it down.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 10:28 (Ref:432109)   #57
RaceTime
Veteran

I'n not, and never have, disputed the organisaiton of the event.

Keep in mind that the people that actually ran it are also in place at the Melb GP, Sandown, Queensland Raceway etc - so they have plenty of experience in running meeting.

Just a pity that Mr. Got-To-Have-The-Safety-Car-On-Track was there as well...
Old 19 Nov 2002, 10:33 (Ref:432112)   #58
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime
Just a pity that Mr. Got-To-Have-The-Safety-Car-On-Track was there as well...
Why wasn't he at Wakefield when I was driving the Safety Car?
(When was the last time a Supercar meeting had no safety cars?)
Old 19 Nov 2002, 11:03 (Ref:432121)   #59
gmontrack
Rookie

gmontrack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From someone who was envolved with the event, I can say that it was one of the best races that I have ever been part of. I think that unless you were there, or have ever been at an event like it, then I wouldn't go around knocking it. It was very well run, concidering it was their first. Sure it could have done with a few more cars on the grid, but to have so many cars finish, and a lot of them did over 400 laps, was a great achicvement. I just don't understand why people have to look at all the negatives, and bag the s**t out of something they probably don't even have any idea about. I suppose everyone has their oppinion and mine is, that we will be back next year. I just hope we go as good as this year.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 11:41 (Ref:432142)   #60
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gmontrack - agree fully

Looks like December 5-7 next year, can't wait.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 11:49 (Ref:432145)   #61
RaceTime
Veteran

Where has this Dec 5-7 suddenly sprung from? Ross Palmers statements, so far, have been centred on a New Years Eve event.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 11:58 (Ref:432151)   #62
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what i have heard, and read at procar forums, it is pretty much between December 5-7 and NYE, and that 5-7 seemed the most likely.

I think the December 5-7 date would probably be better as well.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 12:22 (Ref:432161)   #63
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd have it on Christmas day... heck, i'd go out of my to attend then!
Old 19 Nov 2002, 12:46 (Ref:432182)   #64
super
Rookie

super should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
December 5-7 it is. The race program, which was probably printed a couple of weeks before the race, lists the 2003 Procar dates and says the 24 hour race will be run at New Year. However after the race Ross Palmer said the date was put up for discussion with the teams etc. He then announced it would happen on December 5-7. Thankfully the teams etc have obviously talked him out of such a silly date. New Years Eve sounds great but in reality everyone has something else to do. Both Seikel Motorsport and the Mosler team said over the weekend that if it was on New Year's Eve next year they would find it hard (read...impossible) to be there. A New Year's Eve race means they would virtually have to leave the US and Europe before Christmas just to get here in time. Anwyway, it was a fantastic, well run event and deserves every support it can get to grow bigger. Roll on 2003
Old 19 Nov 2002, 23:18 (Ref:432672)   #65
roscoe
Rookie

Australia
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by D.R.T.
I couldnt agree more with you Roscoe. It was just a brilliant event. Cars in the day, cars in the dark. One thing that got me, was walking down the pits at 3:30 am seeing cars having pits stops, it felt really strange, and thats when it really hit me that this is what a 24 hour race is all about. Also watchin the sun rise, just amazing.
Cant wait for next years race, and it would be great 2 meet up with roscoe, if u make it down.
Cars in the dark and pitstops are brilliant, I think those who were there and experienced it now realise what a special atmosphere 24 Hour races have. As a driver it is also nice to have the time to talk to the spectators, I was really impressed with how enthusiastic the spectators were as well as the local people in Bathurst. I will be there next year so by all means come and meet up D.R.T.

I can't remember who talked about the saftey car but I hate them too. Unfortunatly they are a necessary evil. At the Nurburgring they are able to slow the cars on the section of track where the accident is and let the cars race the rest of the lap. There is no way it could be done at Bathurst.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 08:44 (Ref:432935)   #66
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
G'day Roscoe, what car did you drive and how did you go?
Old 20 Nov 2002, 23:01 (Ref:433596)   #67
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
http://www.rossbuckinghammotorsport....race_4099.html

5th Outright! Bloody top job!
Old 20 Nov 2002, 23:20 (Ref:433610)   #68
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the link Crash

To Roscoe, well done!

It was a fantasic result and I read your web site with interest. I hope you can make it out for next years race and best of luck.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 23:40 (Ref:433621)   #69
roscoe
Rookie

Australia
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
http://www.rossbuckinghammotorsport....race_4099.html

5th Outright! Bloody top job!
Thanks. There should be a full report on our race on the site next week.

David, the car was a BMW Z3 M-Coupe.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 08:12 (Ref:433772)   #70
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roscoe, well done at Bathurst and cool web site, you've come a long way from a Torana.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 22:49 (Ref:434317)   #71
roscoe
Rookie

Australia
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
Roscoe, well done at Bathurst and cool web site, you've come a long way from a Torana.
You could say that the Z3 is a bit like the Torana, a small coupe, 6 cylinders, goes quite well around Bathurst... Except from memory I think i only paid about $1000 for the Torana! That was a long time ago...
Old 22 Nov 2002, 10:22 (Ref:434504)   #72
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
First in class as well (Group 3), great effort indeed, well done