Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Nov 2002, 19:54 (Ref:433452)   #51
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and how many times do we need to be told by Louise Goodman how a steering wheel works. The whole ITV team are so patronising with what they talk about and how they talk about it. Compare that to Wattie cheekily quizing EJ about engine manufactures or Peter Windsor really providing an in depth analysis of stratagy and performances that actually assumes prior knowledge of the sport. It makes you feel part of the crew rather than some feeble on looker.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 20:57 (Ref:433495)   #52
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I'm sorry to bang on about this, but if it makes no difference to the normal coverage then why is it a good thing to scrap it?
But that's the argument we, who can't or won't get the PPV, are making - that it does make a difference. Bernie was holding back on terrestrial. We got fed crappy follow-the-leader. We missed all the great racing this year.

Now Bernie's saying that he's taking control of the total TV product (taking it out of the hands of those who do it once a year, at their home race, and putting it in the hands of those who know what to watch for). If it turns out like the US and Italian, it'll be good for those of us who can't get digital. And our concern will have gone away.

I personally don't have anything against others having the choice. But the perception is that Bernie was only giving the terrestrial viewers poor coverage to encourage the purchase of his PPV, and the consumers voted with their wallets. Now Bernie's worried enough that he's willing to try to give us something worthwhile.

We aren't taking digital away from you; you haven't supported it enough.

Last edited by paul-collins; 20 Nov 2002 at 21:01.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Nov 2002, 21:10 (Ref:433503)   #53
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Bernie will be scrapping the digital service unless there's no more money to be made out of it.

At least now he has realised that it makes better sense advertising the digital with the terrestrial coverage than going for this crappy business he's been using.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 21:11 (Ref:433504)   #54
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You're right it does make a difference:
Quote:
paul-collins
Now Bernie's saying that he's taking control of the total TV product (taking it out of the hands of those who do it once a year, at their home race, and putting it in the hands of those who know what to watch for). If it turns out like the US and Italian, it'll be good for those of us who can't get digital. And our concern will have gone away.
The new set-up has allowed for this (and can provide so much more):
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
The existence of digital hasn't made the normal TV worse - it has allowed the coverage to get better by providing a dedicated facility that doesn't rely on host TV stations and this will now be available to all!
I think we are in agreement.
I supported it as much as I can, but I can only watch it on one telly at once (although if I had 8 and could see each channel!)
Old 20 Nov 2002, 21:14 (Ref:433507)   #55
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
£12? wouldn't you rather pay £6?
Thats how much the rest of europe are being charged.

I would have subscribed to the service, but £12 is just way too much. £6 I may have considered, even though i am against pay per view per se, I can see that it did offer more than just a bog standard feed.

I laugh at Bernie's quote " I can't understand why people didn't subscribe" - Bernie I can tell you right now why people didn't subscribe,

1. Only hardcore fans are going to subscribe in the first place, and many of those are turning off F1.
2. It just plain costs too much.
3. Not everyone has Sky
4. This season was a full gone conclusion, people want to see a fight, would you watch a boxing match with no punches thrown, or a football match with no goals? We want overtaking, and a bit of drama!

Last edited by Sodemo; 20 Nov 2002 at 21:22.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 21:31 (Ref:433515)   #56
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Bernie I can tell you right now why people didn't subscribe,

1. Only hardcore fans are going to subscribe in the first place, and many of those are turning off F1.
4. This season was a full gone conclusion, people want to see a fight...
It sounds like, particularly with a season as boring (from a non-SchuFer fan's perspective) as this one, digital is exactly what you'd need to see the fight. In-car selection, mid-field battles... Over here we got none of that. We got the parade.

I was originally against using a toll highway here in Ontario, but the convenience compared to not using it justified the money, for me. And I have no other choices, as the road network is maxxed out and there's no Public Transit to speak of. Either I pay, or I sit in my car even longer.

If you think that the cr*p that we got for free was worthwhile, then fine. If not, you can pay for the better stuff, or you can stop watching. It appears that enough people chose the latter to worry Bernie.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Nov 2002, 21:37 (Ref:433520)   #57
Total-F1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
It appears that enough people chose the latter to worry Bernie.
No - it's that not enough people could get it. We weren't about to change our telephone, internet and digital TV so I could get one channel.

Rupert Murdoch marketed the sky network through his many connections to cricket and football fans - many F1 fans were left tied up at the end of it.

I believe the sky digital service only has about 6 million subscribers - which won't be helped by the new free digital service...
Old 20 Nov 2002, 21:40 (Ref:433523)   #58
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
TF1, I think you misread me.

The former was "purchase PPV."

The latter was "ignore F1."

Bernie wouldn't be improving the terrestrial service just because Sky wasn't available to all who wanted it. He's improving it so that those of us who want to watch racing don't give up on his particular brand, because that's what we'd do, given the state of F1 broadcasting.

Last edited by paul-collins; 20 Nov 2002 at 21:43.

-Bill James
Old 20 Nov 2002, 22:02 (Ref:433538)   #59
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1

Rupert Murdoch marketed the sky network through his many connections to cricket and football fans - many F1 fans were left tied up at the end of it.
You make a good point. Live Football and Cricket come as a part of your Sky Sports package (which costs about an extra £12 a month)so why not F1 as well?
Old 20 Nov 2002, 22:15 (Ref:433549)   #60
Total-F1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
TF1, I think you misread me.

The former was "purchase PPV."

The latter was "ignore F1."

Bernie wouldn't be improving the terrestrial service just because Sky wasn't available to all who wanted it. He's improving it so that those of us who want to watch racing don't give up on his particular brand, because that's what we'd do, given the state of F1 broadcasting.
I didn't misread you at all. I was making the point that it isn't just that people are turning away from F1, but that they are sick of the terrestrial coverage when they would like the digital coverage.

If F1 digital was more widely available I've no doubt more people would pay for it, but going through a ppv supplier it means that you're extremely limited in your audience by default.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 22:27 (Ref:433566)   #61
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I had Sky last year and could not be bothered to folk out the cash for the PPV, so I stuck with ITV, but from what I saw of the PPV coverage during USA GP it is fantastic, I just hope we get as coverage next season.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 14:29 (Ref:433983)   #62
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
If F1 digital was more widely available I've no doubt more people would pay for it, but going through a ppv supplier it means that you're extremely limited in your audience by default.
Fair enough. I know my father is going to subscribe to Speed TV as soon as his not-so-good cable distributor gets the channel quality up (it currently shows mostly coloured snow with engine sounds in his area). I've had it for four years now, and wouldn't live without it or something like it. Your situation sort of reminds me of online services before the internet became so widely available.

As for those of you I've accused of not supporting digital, remember, if you want it to stick around, you've got to be more than just consumers. Sometimes you need to be advocates. I do the same for <shameless plug> dailysportscar </shameless plug> all the time.

Last edited by paul-collins; 21 Nov 2002 at 14:31.

-Bill James
Old 21 Nov 2002, 16:30 (Ref:434051)   #63
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
For me, most of the comments from those who want to scap the PPV smack a little of 'if I can't have it then no one else should'.
exactly.....

bit childish , dont you think !
Old 22 Nov 2002, 11:49 (Ref:434562)   #64
Total-F1
Veteran

But to a certain extent, decent F1 coverage shouldn't be limited to an elite few who have disposable income to pay extra for upgraded telly...
Old 22 Nov 2002, 12:15 (Ref:434586)   #65
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Right, it's been announced to the worlds newswires that theF1 pay per view is to be scrapped. The story goes on to say that they are going to concentrate on making the free to view channels give better coverage.

My comments, for what they are worth, are as follows:

1. This is an ideal opportunity for Formula 1 to give the television companies some really great coverage and in the process increase the global TV audience. This will benefit the teams as much as anyone else in obtaining new sponsors.

2. In my opinion (and I am one who has not seen the Sky coverage) to pay "12 per weekend to watch F1, on top of the £40 per month subscription to Sky, and on top of my UK TV Licence, was too much to ask for. I'm not knocking those that pay, nor the quality of the coverage as you can't knock something you haven't seen! However, I feel that if you subscribe to Sky, then the pay-per-view bits should be included, not add ons.

If the digital feed is marketed properly and used to make terrestrial TV really appealing, then Mr Ecclestone has done more to bring the TV audiences back to Formula 1 than any of the decisions reached at the recent FIA meeting.

For once I have to applaud the man if this is his intention.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 13:54 (Ref:434668)   #66
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is over. http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=21311&s=5

ITV get better pictures. (Which is good). Applause i scertainly required.

BUT there is no way they can provide the sevice SKY did.

Giving terrestrial the main digital feed and keeping the digital service (with all it's extras) was not mutually exclusive.

The ultimate way to watch F1 is no more. What we are now stuck with is still ITV. A few more in car shots (but not when you want them, when someone else does ). If they follow the leaders and it is dull, then that's it your stuck with it.

Coverage will not be the same again.

And I'll have to watch someone go shopping instead of seeing the build up. I won't get loads of great interviews throughtout the weekend.

I can't just check how such and such is doing. I will have to wait for James Allen to tell me.

Sorry, but as Red says in his sig. "I would rather die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity."
Old 22 Nov 2002, 14:00 (Ref:434675)   #67
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Of course, the answer would be for Formula 1 to appoint a Race Director for the television coverage as well. That way we could be assured of having someone who knows what the sport is about and who could produce the programme showing us the 'action' and not the procession. That would go some way towards a happy medium in my opinion.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 14:37 (Ref:434700)   #68
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Of course, the answer would be for Formula 1 to appoint a Race Director for the television coverage as well. That way we could be assured of having someone who knows what the sport is about and who could produce the programme showing us the 'action' and not the procession. That would go some way towards a happy medium in my opinion.
In fact, that is exactly what Bernie is doing:
Quote:
Bernie Ecclestone's digital TV facility is to replace local broadcasters in supplying pictures to all terrestrial broadcasters, the Formula 1 boss has told BBC Sport Online.

In the past, the production of the terrestrial feed has been left to the host broadcaster of the country in which the grand prix takes place. This has led to frequent criticism of the quality of the coverage, which often focuses on race leaders or local drivers.

-autosport

-Bill James
Old 22 Nov 2002, 14:42 (Ref:434705)   #69
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For UK viewers, the BBC is gearing up for a bid when ITV's contract runs out. If they get it, then bye bye adverts.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 15:11 (Ref:434718)   #70
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
The biggest blight on the ITV coverage is the patronisingly basic language used by the crew. Post race analysis is often little more than "that was a good race wasn't it? Yes." James Allen continualy spouts irrelevence while Brundell spends his time correcting same said statements. The Brundell grid walk, while entertaining, is also cringingly patronising as he hunts out all the biggest 'celebs' on the grid, forgetting that there are some race drivers and technical personel about that could probably give a much more informed opinion on the up coming race.

The whole package is aimed squarely at the casual F1 fan that watches because there's nothing else on on a sunday afternoon. For the rest of us its just not good enough to watch the 'nice shiny cars', we want more.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 15:53 (Ref:434738)   #71
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But to a certain extent, decent F1 coverage shouldn't be limited to an elite few who have disposable income to pay extra for upgraded telly...
elite few eh. Have you ever wondered around the tower blocks of the council estates home to the poorest families? They are covered with satellite dishes! Truth is TV is the cheapest form of entertainment,even at Sky prices..Sadly few of these types seem to be motor racing fans.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 15:56 (Ref:434739)   #72
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well.....i want to see Friday free practice and even saturdays too.....will we be able to get this via German TV with a digital reciever ?
Gutted as Sky was so good.......

on the note of Paying Sky £40 a month....that in itself is more money than i pay altogether including PPV F1 coverage.....

im simply gutted !
Old 22 Nov 2002, 16:13 (Ref:434748)   #73
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
well.....i want to see Friday free practice and even saturdays too.....will we be able to get this via German TV with a digital reciever ?
Gutted as Sky was so good.......

im simply gutted !
Yes,asuming RTL & DSF continue same service or better,than this year.But your sky minidish will not work.You need to point dish at 19.2E same as the old analogue one.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 18:29 (Ref:434828)   #74
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
yes....i bought myself a Humax Digital Receiver early thi syear to watch Live Cart Coverage on ABMOTUERS...so hopefully i can pick the live F1 practice sessions somewhere on there.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 18:51 (Ref:434847)   #75
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to follow up my earlier comment.

I did use it and didn't enjoy it. It was good for practice, but the race was so much better on ITV.