Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jun 2004, 03:38 (Ref:998011)   #51
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally posted by JAG
What Scuderia Ferrari team?

Sorry Jag it was a question.I was lead to belive the prodrive cars you mentioned now had factory backing to a point.As I said I don't know much about ALMS cars other then nothing beats the Audi's

The Grumpy1
Old 9 Jun 2004, 03:41 (Ref:998012)   #52
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
Every Sunday when I get up at 7 a.m. to watch a race I Thank God in the Strongest Personal Terms for providing me with the competitive action that Minardow and Jordan provide. I get my coffee and already the juices are flowing as I excitedly clatter about Bag End waiting for the race to start!

God! The Action! The Drama! Watching those Jordans wobble like a granny who has drunk too much sherry enter a corner under braking!!! The Sheer excitement of trying to identify which Minardow has just crapped out or better yet, been overtaken by even the Saubers and the mighty Toyotas!!!!

My word is that Dolt Slowgartner's helmet poking up out of the cloud of dust in the gravel trap??? Is that Bruni that every driver in the field is indicating they think is "Number One" by holding up one finger as they go by???

Yes indeedy-do this American is ready to rumble at the very thought of seeing the proud liveries of the Jordan and Minardow soldier by in a very sporting fashion! No team orders here! (Does: "Don't hit anyone else and stay out of everyone's way" count as Team Orders??).

I am personally annoyed at having to watch lap after lap of Ferraris and Wiliams' and Renaults and McLarens and BARs (finally) turning competitive lap times and fighting for points when the Real Action is in the back with the Jordans looking for all the world like they are having some sort of Epipleptic Fit and the Minardows doing their best to resemble the basic activity level of someone who has taken too many quaaludes.

Yes sir!
Old 9 Jun 2004, 07:36 (Ref:998111)   #53
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
After the HSBC meeting no doubt. To add insult to injury, I've read that all that Monaco nonsense was for essentially for 'free' as part of a dual promotion.

I call that a good days work, two cars out before the race is barely warm, and upset your major sponsor with the tacky marketing they have to endure in front of their VIP guests.

Well done...

You couldn't make it up.

Maybe that's what they want us to think
Old 9 Jun 2004, 07:38 (Ref:998112)   #54
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe for one second that Renault are thinking of pulling out. They've only been in it for a few years, which is not enough time to succeed. Are you sure you aren't mistaking it for Jaguar?
Old 9 Jun 2004, 12:31 (Ref:998372)   #55
Fizzgig
Rookie

Fizzgig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, I don't think for one second Renault would consider pulling out of F1 now. They're just getting started and will really be challenging for the championship next year - if Ferrari take the winter off that is!
Old 9 Jun 2004, 13:34 (Ref:998443)   #56
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Exactly right.

Prior to the mid 90s manufactuers entered a variety of series, whether it be F1, LM, WRC, BTCC/DTM etc. With 3-4 manufactuers in each series, wins could be spread out and each one got a shot in the limelight.

However with F1 booming in the mid 90s Toyota, BMW etc. dropped there LM, WRC, BTCC etc. programs believing F1 would provide all of their marketing goals from motorsport.

When entering F1 they all think they can win, but reallity soons stikes. As has been said, not only do manufactuers have to deal with the fact they are being beaten week after week by major rivals, they are spending £100's millions for the pleasure.

By contrast Audi, for an outlay of £50m have 3 Le Mans wins and very important US ALMS title wins, plus a fleet of customer cars winning for them. Same goes for Peugeot in the WRC.

IMO, it is better for all of motorsport if 2 or 3 manufactuers now leave F1 and enter other series.

Privateers can prosper in F1, and the manufactuers can invest some of their cash, expertise etc. in other series.
That's basically how I see it. 7 manufacturers in F1 is completely unsustainable; there are execs to please and 10th palce doesn't cut it.

As for JohnSSC's views, I'd just say that watching the Jordans slide around the track on their own is more interesting in itself than watching the Ferraris go along seemingly glued to a Scalextric track. If the front of the field dropped to the level fo the Jordans (who were challenging for the title only 5 years ago, remember), without electronic gizmos and stuff, imagine how exciting the battles at the front would be.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:19 (Ref:998492)   #57
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Boots makes a good point.

The cars should be difficult to drive, and not "glued to the track" or on rails.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 02:12 (Ref:999239)   #58
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well I was trying to be funny, but for those of you who took it seriously, a top-line F1 car IS difficult to drive because the driver has to concentrate to the maximum and physically drive the car AT the maximum every single lap. If he doesn't then he looks like Dolt Slowgartner and gets replaced during Silly Season.

Care must be taken to not confuse cars darting and slithering and smiting things in evvery direction with examples of "driving skill" or "car control."

I say sure - get rid of the driver aids like the current tire compounds, the aero packages, the indestructible (unless you are T Sato or drive a Mc) engines. In fact, we could then have a series not unlike Formula Ford...hmmm.

So for those of you who prefer to watch the Jordans and Minardows stagger about I presume that this would be like preferring to watch a lower division than say the Premier League in Football as "those lot try harder and don't make those stupendously boring perfect plays." I mean i would much rather watch Manchester City (no offense) than Man U!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 10 Jun 2004 at 02:15.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 10:38 (Ref:999505)   #59
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
I mean i would much rather watch Manchester City (no offense) than Man U!

City usually beat United these days.....
Old 10 Jun 2004, 10:46 (Ref:999512)   #60
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Oh alright! Substitute "Man U" with "Chelsea."

Cheers!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 12:19 (Ref:999585)   #61
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend

BTW - IIRC it's believed the new "Logan" model would be used for a Renault WRC programme.
very unlikely .. i think homologation requiers the car to have a 2.0 litre engine .. wich the Logan will not have . only 1.4 and 1.6 ..
plus only the thought of a Dacia WRC car makes me

Ciao Marco