bugs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

just found this http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...d=1&nid=104739
cheers bugs
Old 27 Jan 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1211451)   #52
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Pree - oh

Last edited by Sodemo; 27 Jan 2005 at 20:25.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 20:26 (Ref:1211454)   #53
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pree-oh is correct
Old 27 Jan 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1211458)   #54
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
Times from Valencia today. - from www.autosport.com

1, David Coulthard (Red Bull), 1m09.175s, 99
2, Antonio Pizzonia (Williams), 1m09.447s, 97
3, Vitantonio Liuzzi (Red Bull), 1m10.224s, 100
4, Fernando Alonso (Renault), 1m10.398s, 87
5, Jarno Trulli (Toyota), 1m10.597s, 111
6, Takuma Sato (BAR), 1m11.140s, 83
7, Giancarlo Fisichella (Renault), 1m11.282, 91
8, Olivier Panis (Toyota), 1m11.460s, 65
9, Jenson Button (BAR), 1m11.557s, 68
10, Andy Priaulx (Williams), 1m12.790s 64

Andy Priaulx did a solid job on his first day driving an F1 car. The FIA European Touring Car Champion, who was rewarded by BMW with an F1 test, suffered a gearbox failure and an engine blow-up but nonetheless managed to complete 64 laps.
I know this will sound provocative, in fact it is not meant to be taken serious,
but the difference between Pizzonia and Priaulx today was 3.3secs, which is pretty much how much Nissany lost on Friesacher in F3000 in 2004 on circuits Nissany did not know after having run 20laps and and 3sets of new tyres.
Everything is relative and you can watch it always from two sides...
Old 27 Jan 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1211461)   #55
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 is F1, F3000 is F3000.
Old 27 Jan 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1211463)   #56
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
F1 is F1, F3000 is F3000.

As I said before it was not meant to be serious...
Old 27 Jan 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1211493)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It wasn't meant to be serious and IMO he did well.

But he is an ex hillclimber doing an "ef....... ng" good Touring car job.

Andy, keep it up mate, some of us are F1 racers. Some of us are Touring car racers and some of us are just racers. You're in the later two categories. Stay there and enjoy/keep us entertained.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1211789)   #58
bugs
Rookie

Guernsey
gy
bugs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote from channel tv this moring,
ANDY PRIAULX WINS TOP SPORT'S AWARD
The winner of the Total Channel Islands Sports Personality of the Year award is Andy Priaulx.

The racing driver beat five other top sportsmen and women to the title.

He was unable to attend last night's ceremony as he's currently testing with the BMW Formula One team in Valencia.
cheers bugs.
(This is a phone vote)

Last edited by bugs; 28 Jan 2005 at 07:21.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1211836)   #59
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
wi11iamm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Peter Mallett]But he is an ex hillclimber doing an "ef....... ng" good Touring car job.[QUOTE]

Why has the ex hillclimber part being added to that? Is it a suprise for you that someone from hillclimbing could do a good job on the circuits?

Last edited by wi11iamm; 28 Jan 2005 at 09:43.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1211842)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You don't really want me to answer that do you?

Well ok then. The discipline of Hillclimbing is totally different to circuit racing thus his performance is even more impressive.

There are very few pure hillclimbers that do really well in circuit racing. The reverse is also true of course.

Martin Bolsover (as mentioned elsewhere) is another very impressive convert from hillclimbing. David Franklin also comes to mind.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1211877)   #61
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
You don't really want me to answer that do you?

Well ok then. The discipline of Hillclimbing is totally different to circuit racing thus his performance is even more impressive.

There are very few pure hillclimbers that do really well in circuit racing. The reverse is also true of course.

Martin Bolsover (as mentioned elsewhere) is another very impressive convert from hillclimbing. David Franklin also comes to mind.
Well I do! or I wouldnt have asked you otherwise...............

And correction...there are very few pure hillclimbers that have a chance to do really well in circuit racing. I believe given this chance the top guys would achieve success in circuit racing, just as Andy Priaulx has done.

Have you ever competed in a hillclimb?

And finally...does this work the other way around, that people competing on circuits dont "do well" when they compete in a hillclimb? Because I have seen a number of people "do well."

Last edited by wi11iamm; 28 Jan 2005 at 10:35.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1211886)   #62
Kicking-back
Veteran

The gauntlet's thrown down then!

Peter Mallett is a top circuit racer - can someone arrange to get him entered in a hillclimb
Old 28 Jan 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1211902)   #63
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Definately. How about he comes and shares my car and see how he compares against me....and then maybe I could show him what I could do on the circuits.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1211911)   #64
Kicking-back
Veteran

Sounds like a challenge has been set!

Keep ten-tenths update with who wins
Old 28 Jan 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1211927)   #65
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
*Yawn*

Isn't this a bit off topic?

And no I don't want to enter a hillclimb thanks because it really doesn't appeal to me.

FWIW I was just stating a fact. Andy is a top hillclimber who is doing a stunning job in Touring cars. How does that translate into a denigration of hillclimbing?
Old 28 Jan 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1211928)   #66
Kicking-back
Veteran

It's not a denigration of hillclimbing at all, Peter, you were just being factual, I agree.

Anyway, here's an interesting bit from autosport.com

----------

BMW Motorsport boss Mario Theissen, who was instrumental in making the test place, was also impressed. "The performance of Priaulx was pleasing," he said. "He drove 64 consistent laps and, had it not been for technical problems, he undoubtably would have improved his lap times."

--------

Andy's hoping to get some more tests later in the season
Old 28 Jan 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1211962)   #67
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The cold hard stats might show he was over 3 secs slower than Pizzonia in the other Williams, but in all I think that's a very decent first showing in an F1 car, and BMW were clearly impressed.

Off topic for a moment (sorry!), hillclimbing's surely alot closer to rallying than circuit racing... and there aren't that many rally drivers who cope well with racing against other cars rather than time.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1212033)   #68
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
Yes but you cant stereotype Hillclimb drivers into one category. It depends upon the individual...your right some people may not cope with racing against other cars but thats the same with anyone starting out in circuit racing. You cant assume that just because they race against time at the moment, that they dont have the potential to win in circuit racing.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 14:43 (Ref:1212046)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Actually my point was more about the type of driving and yes (like Garcon) I think it is closer to rallying in terms of technique than circuit racing. But we are really off topic so if you want to go further into this why not start a thread in Racer's forum?

As to Andy's times. We don't really know what he was doing in the test i.e was he running ne parts or was he running a tired old set of tyres etc.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1212193)   #70
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
From what I can gather, the car was a ropey FW26 on even ropier old rubber. Aparently, Andy was just getting the feel of things nicely and the team were sending him out on his first set of decent fresh rubber when the session ended due to an incident.

I don't think Andy did himself any harm in this session, it's just the lap times look pretty harsh out of context.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1212217)   #71
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm, not sure FW regards his cars as 'ropey', but I catch your drift...
Old 28 Jan 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1212221)   #72
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i cant believe i missed this thread!

Anyway i think Andy did an amazing job considering the ammount of laps he did at that it was his first F1 experience. Andy is a great bloke, very nice at all times, and deserves his chance in F1. I think he could cut as he has excellent race craft and never gives up.(Dubai for example)

To say i would be over the moon if Andy got his chance in F1 is an understatement.

Just a quick note, I hope minichamps make a model fo rthis test as they seem to do it for other tests.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 20:49 (Ref:1212232)   #73
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by btracer
Anyway i think Andy did an amazing job considering the ammount of laps he did at that it was his first F1 experience. Andy is a great bloke, very nice at all times, and deserves his chance in F1. I think he could cut as he has excellent race craft and never gives up.(Dubai for example).
Let's not get carried away here. Agree with everything you say about being a great bloke and (you didn't say this) he's a great racer. He's also a Brit.

Quote:
To say i would be over the moon if Andy got his chance in F1 is an understatement..
A lot of us would.

Quote:
Just a quick note, I hope minichamps make a model fo rthis test as they seem to do it for other tests.
Dunno about that but if that's your scene I hope so too.

Now, can we just think back to another great touring car racer?

Jean Louis Schlesser. Can anybody remember his F1 debut with Team Willy? I can.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1212285)   #74
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In a Williams.... Andy should qualify better than 22nd if given the chance though.....

Frank will probably have a good idea of how close to Pizzonia and heidfeld his performance was in real terms, although I'm sure he was never really under consideration for a drive.
Old 28 Jan 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1212288)   #75
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes my post was a bit tongue in cheek.