Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jul 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1359087)   #51
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is anyone actually sure that Ten paid for the TV rights in the first place?

I would find it hard to justify buying the rights to V8 Supercar, when a lot of other sports pay to be shown on TV.

Remember V8 Supercar races do not guarantee you high ratings and the costs of the outside broadcast far exceeds that of an AFL or NRL game.

A more sensible position for the TV networks to adopt would be to telecast the races at no cost to AVESCO, but keep all of the TV commerical dollars.

Unlike AFL football, it would not really concern any of the networks if they didn't have V8 Supercars on their station. Maybe one day - but not yet.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1359164)   #52
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
And you think other broadcasters wouldn't?
I never said they did, I was replying to the post who stated that 10 gave something back to "Motorsport", when they dont.

In previous years if memory serves (not the latter years of its broadcasting) channel 7 would often show support categories on their live/same day coverages.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1359228)   #53
White Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
I never said they did, I was replying to the post who stated that 10 gave something back to "Motorsport", when they dont.

In previous years if memory serves (not the latter years of its broadcasting) channel 7 would often show support categories on their live/same day coverages.
Things have changed since those days. We pay for water now - we didn't then. Its a different world these days in all matters.

Old 20 Jul 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1359315)   #54
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
Things have changed since those days. We pay for water now - we didn't then. Its a different world these days in all matters.
Oh how true that comment is WK.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1359316)   #55
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Mores the pity. You are right though DRT I remember the days when an afternoon of motorsport was exactly that, not only the coverage of the main race but also the supports.

but is any one else getting sick of motorbikes and cars doing donuts. I hope next time they come to Darwin the "entertainment" has changed.
Old 21 Jul 2005, 01:04 (Ref:1359770)   #56
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Very true however people give channel 7 a bad rap based on its last few years of coverage, forgeting the years of good coverage where they gave everyone a go.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1427993)   #57
JAY_B
Rookie

JAY_B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats the update on this ?
Old 9 Oct 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1428005)   #58
RedNine Racing
Racer

Australia
Adelaide,Australia
RedNine Racing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Channel 7 once had the rights to the series,before 10 ,i would rather see it going back to 7 after some of the coverage we have seen this year.

ROCK ON COURTNEY,FORD and SBR
ROCK ON FERRARI! n thanks 4 the memories Ruby,Schumi and bugga off Felipe
2007 F1 Champion Kimi Raikkonen
2007 MLB Champions Boston RedSox
Old 9 Oct 2005, 09:03 (Ref:1428014)   #59
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
After today AVE$CO should look elsewere but they will not as they are in love with the home of (show an add) CH10 the home of motorsport.Today coverage was the worse coverage in the last 20 years.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 9 Oct 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1428030)   #60
Crowestar
Racer

Australia
Crowestar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching todays coverage I miss Mike Raymond and Garry Wilkinson.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1428033)   #61
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't think today's coverage was very good but ch10's coverage has been very good the past few years.

The V8 tv rights will not be worked out until after the AFL tv rights have been settled.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 10:01 (Ref:1428116)   #62
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Lets keep it on Seriously ... crikey, any other channel might actually telecast some motor racing ... that would be no good - my missus said she was more interested in the footwear and the helmet advertising.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 10:01 (Ref:1428117)   #63
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The AFL tv arrangements for 06 are as 05 - the new rights deal expected to be awarded before the end of the year do not apply until 07.

What is the current 10/Avesco deal?
Old 9 Oct 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1428195)   #64
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
The AFL TV arrangements for 06 are as 05 - the new rights deal expected to be awarded before the end of the year do not apply until 07.

What is the current 10/Avesco deal?
That's right and whoever gets those rights may or may not be able to commit to a multi year deal with Avesco as their broadcasts may conflict with each other.

The V8's are currently with Ten until the end of 2006. I am not sure if there are specific clauses guaranteeing broadcast times and dates.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 09:43 (Ref:1429328)   #65
JAY_B
Rookie

So
Nine (Delayed)
Seven (Live) (Will use Multi-View Digital format ?)
Ten (Delayed)
Foxsports (Live)
are all bidding ?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1429358)   #66
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The multi channel free to air (FTA) deal that ch 7 was pushing for looks like being canned by the Fed government.

This would have given FTA the ability to show AFL on one channel and v8's on another.(at the same time)

Not sure whether this will have any effect on negations.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1429394)   #67
cavvy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_B
So
Nine (Delayed)
Seven (Live) (Will use Multi-View Digital format ?)
Ten (Delayed)
Foxsports (Live)
are all bidding ?
Is there a bidding process, is it under way?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1429430)   #68
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Is there a bidding process, is it under way?
According to the media section in the Australian AVESCO are currently in talks with Seven.
If Seven gets the Sunday AFL rights then it'll be back to the old delayed coverage but personally I cant see them leaving TEN unless TEN really want Sunday AFL which even with the Swan's success doesn't rate in Sydney Australia's bigget market.
It wouldn't suprise me though if Foxtel did a sharing deal to take some smaller events live leaving TEN to Clipsall, Shanghai, Sandown, Bahrain, Bathurst, GC and possibly PI or better yet Townsville.
There is still plenty of talk in the TV industry of a dedicated Motorsport channel soon on Foxtel Digital.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1429590)   #69
cavvy
Veteran

As 7 & 10 are bidding jointly for AFL, the current arrangement for motorsport may not change.

There is talk the AFL may want to involve 9 still, so it will be difficult to finalise TV until the AFL deal is on the board.

Whilst I have Foxtel, it would be a disaster for the sport if it is not on free to air.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1429609)   #70
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cavvy: The Collingwood faction within the AFL will be overidden. 9's done for, and they only have themselves to blame.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1429613)   #71
cavvy
Veteran

Hope you are right Falcadore, but the AFL is not 7-favourable, & may leave 9 with Friday nights which is BIG in Melbourne & Adelaide.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1429626)   #72
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
I hope Channel Ten lose all Motor Sport. They don't deserve to have the best sport.

I hate Channel Ten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1430130)   #73
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mabs, take a chill pill! Channel 10 does the best shows of motosport, I rember when Ch 7 had it and I was screaming about their bad work. Channel 10, best motorsport chanel ever
Old 10 Oct 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1430192)   #74
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
Mabs, take a chill pill! Channel 10 does the best shows of motosport, I rember when Ch 7 had it and I was screaming about their bad work. Channel 10, best motorsport chanel ever

And Greg, despite your tender years, I'm sure you can remember the mid to late 80's when motorsport TV was pioneered by Seven, and the coverage and commentry were great.

Granted, Ten's coverage is better then what Seven were showing in the end, but a lot was learned from AFL, when Seven lost the TV rights, the world was going to end apparantly.

BUT Nine & Serious have done a very good job of AFL.

Just because Ten are doing a reasonable job of Motorsport (in some opinions) doesn't mean that Seven or Nine can't or won't. Remember producers, presenters & camera people can change networks.

I'm hoping that AVE$$CO have the temerity and/or common sense to set some firm performance indicators for the winner of the broadcast rights, or just like the China experiment of 2004, the loser will be someone other than AVE$$CO.

US, the viewers..
Old 11 Oct 2005, 06:55 (Ref:1430424)   #75
JAY_B
Rookie

[quote]remember the mid to late 80's when motorsport TV was pioneered by Seven, and the coverage and commentry were great.[quote]
Yes, Mike Raymond and Richard Hay.