Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 30 Oct 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2782623)   #726
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Part of the reason the fin sticks out like a sore thumb on the Peugeot is the fact that it's unpainted, I´m sure some teams find a clever way to make it integrate in their liveries and therefor look much better.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2782631)   #727
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
And I am sure all the teams will try all sorts of different versions to see what works and what doesn't before the winter is over. Therefore why worry about paint and stickers, and wait for the finished items next March at Sebring first!!!!!!
Old 30 Oct 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2782634)   #728
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Why not put square wheels on them all , while your at it

I am not sure I get your meaning. Personally I do not like to see cars flying when the driver is obviously danger and also a good chance the fans in the stands as well.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2782635)   #729
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Why not put square wheels on them all , while your at it
So you'd be ok with a car flying into the crowds then?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 30 Oct 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2782645)   #730
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola T70 View Post
I am not sure I get your meaning. Personally I do not like to see cars flying when the driver is obviously danger and also a good chance the fans in the stands as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
So you'd be ok with a car flying into the crowds then?
It's has been proven that the fin isn't the best solution. No teams has agreed on the fin as the best option.
Talk to Mike.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 18:54 (Ref:2782650)   #731
GT2-R
Racer

GT2-R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO makes the LMP's look like they were raped by an F1-car!

Safety first however so we have to give the (damn ugly) thing a fair chance I guess.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2782652)   #732
Lola T70
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
It's has been proven that the fin isn't the best solution. No teams has agreed on the fin as the best option.
Talk to Mike.
That is kind of irrelevant honestly.

Anyway, no-one said they were pretty or in some peoples opinion the best solution but they are a solution to avoid cars flying and that in my opinion is better than this www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNkySVNNpog

Let's get back to Peugeot's new challenger.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2782667)   #733
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fin will not prevent rollovers.

Cars will still get airborne with this fin attached and when they do and the car gets even slightly sideways in the air that fin is going to hit the air like a sail and with the fin producing that much drag above the COG the car will backflip.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2782674)   #734
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Isn't there a theory the focus of 2011 cars will be less drag due to the power reduction.

That being the case how much of the 908's aero can be carried over seeing as they've had an excess of power compared to the opposition and been able to run more downforce.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2782677)   #735
Lola T70
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
The fin will not prevent rollovers.

Cars will still get airborne with this fin attached and when they do and the car gets even slightly sideways in the air that fin is going to hit the air like a sail and with the fin producing that much drag above the COG the car will backflip.
Any factual data to confirm the opinion that with these fins cars that get slightly sideways will backflip? Have not see much evidence of that in F1 or previously in Indycar where they helped stability on high speed ovals.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 20:24 (Ref:2782684)   #736
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Neither do I , but exactly how far does one go ?

We all accept that going to a race meeting is dangerous , and its printed on all tickets in fine print too . The teams know its dangerous as do the drivers . I have an opinion , as I voiced , as do you .

So , you can now stop trying to imply that I enjoy accidents .

But where do you stop with inplementing aero devices . The plank was supposed to stop lift , that didnt work . All the aero over the past few years hasnt worked either . It still happens . And the odd accident always will happen .

Then they make the rear wind smaller , so they arnt as fast in corners , but doesnt that effect areo , the very areo that pushs & sucks a car to the ground .

I really dont see that some of these rules have worked at all . Some of them have in fact made for some ugly designs .

Given , at a particuler attitude , that vertical wing could capture air like a bucket too ..... what happens then , close it it , then we can have a bread van !!!

Andy Wallace and others always wanted more power , I say give it to them .
Old 30 Oct 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2782688)   #737
Lola T70
Racer

I never said they were pretty, I said they were prettier than a big accident.

But as per all new regulations changes like this, after a few months people get visually used to them and they suddenly become the norm.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2782696)   #738
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Part of the reason the fin sticks out like a sore thumb on the Peugeot is the fact that it's unpainted, I´m sure some teams find a clever way to make it integrate in their liveries and therefor look much better.

Even Peugeot can paint them when they race it in 2011
Old 30 Oct 2010, 21:16 (Ref:2782701)   #739
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if anyone has thought about incorporating the positional three light system into the shark fin? It would certainly be more visible. There must be something novel and functional they can be used for other than the stability and as a billboard.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2782703)   #740
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I wonder if anyone has thought about incorporating the positional three light system into the shark fin? It would certainly be more visible. There must be something novel and functional they can be used for other than the stability and as a billboard.
I don't think it's allow to incorporate anything into the fin (as a way to stop F-Duct system)
Old 30 Oct 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2782704)   #741
Laurent
Rookie

France
20 km away from Paris (France)
Laurent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Maximal thickness of the fin is 20 mm. It seems difficult to place the lights in a such thin fin...
Old 30 Oct 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2782707)   #742
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
Maximal thickness of the fin is 20 mm. It seems difficult to place the lights in a such thin fin...
LED's and the wires need no more that 1 cm (10mm), so it's easy to fit!
Hell, i got a LED bed lamp with 10 LED's which i don't think is thicker than 10mm, and thats with everything inside!
Old 30 Oct 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2782708)   #743
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
Yep that would be tricky. Didn't realise they were quite so thin.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2782721)   #744
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Maybe they can consult army camouflage experts.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2782725)   #745
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I agree the fin is ugly but not as ugly as the accident the Gene had at Le Mans, or Ortelli or Capello in Monza.
I wasn't seeking to minimise the reasons why the fins have been added - merely remarking upon the poor aesthetics of the chosen solution........
Old 30 Oct 2010, 22:48 (Ref:2782735)   #746
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Daygs at Speed TV says that there's a rumor that the 90X T-car may've been fitted with a 2010 spec 908 V12 and gearbox. Don't know if that makes any sense or not, but at Sebring this year, Audi had a 2010 spec Audi R15 fitted with 2009 bodywork. Could Peugeot be doing the reverse, though that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense given the modifications to the car.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 22:58 (Ref:2782738)   #747
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Daygs at Speed TV says that there's a rumor that the 90X T-car may've been fitted with a 2010 spec 908 V12 and gearbox. Don't know if that makes any sense or not, but at Sebring this year, Audi had a 2010 spec Audi R15 fitted with 2009 bodywork. Could Peugeot be doing the reverse, though that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense given the modifications to the car.
It's impossible with the none exciting Turbo intakes.
The only way would be if the completely redo the Turbo inlet and exhaust system of the V12, and that is madness!
Old 30 Oct 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2782743)   #748
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
All they did with the Bentley was mount a couple of snorkels to the turbo inlets/airbox. Packaging issues is what would worry me there, as it's easier and more direct to use the Audi/'03 Bentley and Pug route of the fender mounted intakes.

As I said, with the rearend modifications (and the appearent single exhaust pipe), the V12 deal may just be a rumor or a pipe dream, or deliberate misinformation. I don't think that the V12 would fit under the rear deck, but I could be wrong there.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 23:28 (Ref:2782744)   #749
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
All they did with the Bentley was mount a couple of snorkels to the turbo inlets/airbox. Packaging issues is what would worry me there, as it's easier and more direct to use the Audi/'03 Bentley and Pug route of the fender mounted intakes.

As I said, with the rearend modifications (and the appearent single exhaust pipe), the V12 deal may just be a rumor or a pipe dream, or deliberate misinformation. I don't think that the V12 would fit under the rear deck, but I could be wrong there.
I still find it extremely unlikely, as the Engine is probably the only thing that is really finished and ready.

And the work need to be done to make it fit with the new Airbox and Exhaust is too comprehensive for a development advantage.
Old 31 Oct 2010, 00:26 (Ref:2782758)   #750
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I'm betting that, for now at least, it's a straight 4 gasoline engine, the single exhaust pipe points that direction. But that could be a smokescreen to, as well as the fact that the 90X t-car looks a lot like the 908--Audi has done the same with their road cars by fitting older bodywork on them before their public launch. Peugeot may be doing the same here.

Either way, I think--and Peugeot in their PR admits it--that were far from the final product.
Closed Thread