Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 1 Nov 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2783551)   #801
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Why is it relevant to any spectator what a car sounds like from inside?

I don't see how you can argue anything from onboard cameras. You have things like soundproofing and the quality of the recording equipment and the recording level to take into account. Pointless discussion. The people who are going to Le Mans next year would like to be able to actually hear a car accelerating off down the Mulsanne. Simple as that.

EDIT: The Aston does sound great though.
OF TOPIC... but

It might. That is, the sound from inside can became more and more relevant. Imagine La sathre with internal advanced TV broadcasting network( now that "digital" land broadcasting is taking off).. and you have portable TV receptors, most probably in the form of 3D receptor glasses headsets... and you can watch the entire race from inside the cockpit of your favorite driver/car... or switch for more than one driver/car... in exchange for a small extra fee... in that case normal tickets can even be substantially lower in price... you miss nothing, and you gain much...

That might be the future.

Last edited by hcl123; 1 Nov 2010 at 17:39.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2783574)   #802
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl123 View Post
OF TOPIC... but

It might. That is, the sound from inside can became more and more relevant. Imagine La sathre with internal advanced TV broadcasting network( now that "digital" land broadcasting is taking off).. and you have portable TV receptors, most probably in the form of 3D receptor glasses headsets... and you can watch the entire race from inside the cockpit of your favorite driver/car... or switch for more than one driver/car... in exchange for a small extra fee... in that case normal tickets can even be substantially lower in price... you miss nothing, and you gain much...

That might be the future.
Enough!
Please STOP!
Old 1 Nov 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2783582)   #803
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Just edited some pictures to get a better comparison of the front of the 90X:

908:

908 Hy:

To me the only real difference is the narrower nose and that the louvers has been placed further behind. This might just be a high speed 908 package instead of a real 90X front.
It seems to me.. looking at the aeros of the front... that radiotors might have been moved forward in the sidepods... they might be closer to the front wheels now... similar to the R15... and so the sidepods might incorporate more than 1 air induction in each side, and the top of rear wheels snorkels is only to cool rear breacks . The car can be a little narrower actually which should also improve aeros. So much more differences than the similarity implies.

EDIT: this can't be a test mule in any way

Last edited by hcl123; 1 Nov 2010 at 18:09.
Old 1 Nov 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2783722)   #804
yamato
Racer

yamato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl123
EDIT: this can't be a test mule in any way
Agreed.

I think that was only an initial reation to the front of the car looking so similar to 908 in the initial spy shot. The fact that it was in near full livery in that one bothered me.

It is clear now in the officially released shots that this is a whole new tub, and NOT a test mule at all.

I personally think that there could be a big shift in technology going on here. It still says HDi FAP on the side,.... but nothing else indicates a diesel to me?????

Granted though,.... we are only seeing what Peugeot wants us to see at this point,... and if they are still evaluating options, they could be evaluating parrallel programs with both diesel and petrol engines as well as different KERS options....... It's been a long time since there has been so much conjecture about what the major players might be doing,..... And I for one love it!
Old 1 Nov 2010, 22:53 (Ref:2783780)   #805
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Now, there's no measuring tape anywhere to be sure, but I just think this 90X is about 6 inches shorter than a 908? I'm comparing various points, on various side views, and I reckon it is MUCH shorter...

Oh, the rear edge of the front 'sponsons', and the leading edge of the main side pods, have been re-shaped, and the rear deck right at the back is MUCH more sculpted than in 2010... Plus those bigger louvres on the sidepods.

Has anyone HEARD this thing yet???!!!
Old 1 Nov 2010, 23:24 (Ref:2783803)   #806
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Has anyone HEARD this thing yet???!!!
That would certainly make the detective work a hell of a lot easier!
Old 1 Nov 2010, 23:30 (Ref:2783807)   #807
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
As a certain dog says?

OH YES!
Old 2 Nov 2010, 08:04 (Ref:2783897)   #808
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really like the theory CTD and Simmi came up with (in the Le Mans sub-forum) that what we could be seeing is a dual engine programme, with Oreca running petrol versions of the car and the factory running diesels. The announcement (made way back when) that Peugeot would supply engines to Oreca for their 02 perhaps lends some credence to the suggestion.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 08:11 (Ref:2783901)   #809
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I like the dual enigne programme idea.

One thing I don't believe though is that Peugeot haven't made up their mind. It is way too late in the game to be making those sort of decisions.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 08:34 (Ref:2783910)   #810
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I like the dual enigne programme idea.

One thing I don't believe though is that Peugeot haven't made up their mind. It is way too late in the game to be making those sort of decisions.
Very true, although they may still be assessing whether or not to run a dual engine programme. The key part of the statement, if the theory is correct, is this: "Endurance racing is a proving ground that provides us with an opportunity to showcase all the brand’s technologies.”
Old 2 Nov 2010, 08:56 (Ref:2783915)   #811
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think the peugout sales are predominantly diesels so it has always made sense for them to use that engine, also i can not see why they are going to split there research budget at a time when money is not exactly over flowing in thier coffers.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2783928)   #812
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
a dual engine programme would make huge sense for pug, I have suspected for a while that Pugare doing just that, the cost of knocking-up a a pair of mule engines is insignificant to the entire cost of the chosen engine development programme, if the result is too close to call then developing both would make big sense.........Peugeot & Citroen - otherwise known as PSA have a big reputation for small engines so pushing a big V8 diesel may be somewhat contradictory........but may be essential to win the big race - LeMans.........so they could have a small 2.0 gasoline engine for sprint races on the twisty tracks........then a V8 diesel for the long fast circuits on most of the LMS calendar.......or just do both at the same time via using Oreca........either way, I really do expect both Audi and Peugeot to go the Diesel route because the regs are still bent in a diesels favour.........I'm sure AMR will throw their toys out of the pram once this starts to happen.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2783931)   #813
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cost of designing a car is huge (even if you use the previous 908 as basis). I think when you design a manufacturer car (not customer cars, but a car made to win LM) you start with a/rule book, b/then you decide what engine you use, c/then you design the car around the requirements for that engine (cooling, suspension packaging, balance F-R aero...) Whatever engine it´s hidden inside that 90X it is going to be the definitive one, unless what we are seeing is a test mule, which it according to those who know (Mike from mulsannescorner...) does not seem the case
So, to me, this Peugeot statement saying "we are exploring different powerplant options" is bull****. By this time Audi knows perfectly what engine are they using in the R18, and so do Peugeot.
just IMO!!!
Old 2 Nov 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2783940)   #814
Lazy
Rookie

Germany
Lazy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
which it according to those who know (Mike from mulsannescorner...)
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept10.html

Interesting this mentioned budgetary issue...
Old 2 Nov 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2783997)   #815
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
excellent analysis by mike as usual......about 150mm shorter wheel-base would indicate two cylinders worth of lengtgh has been knocked off the V12, my spies told me the 2007 V12 pug motor had a bore of 82mm, which means its either a V8 or a straight 4!!!........well that narrows it down :-/........my money is still on a V8 diesel
Old 2 Nov 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2784042)   #816
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
I really do expect both Audi and Peugeot to go the Diesel route because the regs are still bent in a diesels favour.........I'm sure AMR will throw their toys out of the pram once this starts to happen.
I was wondering how AMR would fit in, because they seemed to be happy enough with the equivalency (that we haven't seen) and wasn't there some noise recently that Audi and Peugeot weren't happy with the diesel regs?
Old 2 Nov 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2784103)   #817
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Jeez... how old are you ?

Simply put, Pug OR ANY OTHER out there don't care about you and i (us).. they don't care about noise preference, style, tech preferences... nothing personal, only business.

The purpose is profit (=winning) ... you have a hard time getting this. They'll do what they think is necessary to gain a "competitive advantage"... secrecy is exactly about that, a preventive measure against competition not "us"... the choice about diesel is exactly that, they don't care even its peanut butter... and if it fits better the market positions, the better.
Nice classy condescending reply to a clearly tongue-in-cheek remark.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2784123)   #818
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
Not really... nothing personal or aggressive... simply put is the competitive environment that is too "aggressive"... for nice thoughts about "sport"... ppl should understand this.
Old 2 Nov 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2784146)   #819
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not really... nothing personal or aggressive... simply put is the competitive environment that is too "aggressive"... for nice thoughts about "sport"... ppl should understand this.
Racing is a sport at its root, and no matter how many cubic dollars are being poured into it by manufacturers who come and go, it was, is and will be a sport. It may look like solely business at times, but it is a sport before everything else.

Now, everyone, let's please return to the topic of the Peugeot 90X before everyone gets a massive case of head explosion...
Old 2 Nov 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2784221)   #820
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Perhaps, but not here squire. Here you obey the rules ('Attack the post - not the poster') or we bin you. And we mean it.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 09:13 (Ref:2784340)   #821
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:

toatlly agree, I see the moderators had a gentle word above......... never before have I seen such longwinded patronising and condescending replies.

Last edited by knighty; 3 Nov 2010 at 09:25.
Old 3 Nov 2010, 17:22 (Ref:2784508)   #822
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Speaking of WM/WR, has anyone heard anything more from that stable about their Peugeot-based diesel P1 engine project since it was announced? Or have those engineers been absorbed perhaps into Peugeot's engine department?
Old 3 Nov 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2784527)   #823
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Speaking of WM/WR, has anyone heard anything more from that stable about their Peugeot-based diesel P1 engine project since it was announced? Or have those engineers been absorbed perhaps into Peugeot's engine department?
It's was a P2.
And no they are probably still at WR, if WR racing still exist. (no news on their site)
Old 3 Nov 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2784550)   #824
hcl123
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Perhaps, but not here squire. Here you obey the rules ('Attack the post - not the poster') or we bin you. And we mean it.
Perfectly acceptable. Only hope is that it goes the other way around... when someone attacks me, or "cleverly" tells me to shut up (meaning he is not attacking the arguments, but the poster)... with the same vehemency(meaning it!)...
Old 3 Nov 2010, 19:21 (Ref:2784554)   #825
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Perfectly acceptable. Only hope is that it goes the other way around... when someone attacks me, or "cleverly" tells me to shut up (meaning he is not attacking the arguments, but the poster)... with the same vehemency(meaning it!)...

Absolutely - press the warn button - it's zero tolerance in here now so if we mods miss it, you need to let us know. Be nice to each other people, fill a few buckets.....