Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jan 2016, 15:14 (Ref:3601809)   #826
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
DC has signed up to do Top Gear hasn't he? Unlikely to see him at Ch4. Wonder will Jordan make the move? He probabily will.
One of the production companies being talked about to make the C4 coverage is Whisper Films.

C4 owns a minority stake in Whisper. Among the other large shareholders are David Coulthard, Jake and Harriet Humphrey. And the commercial director of Whisper Films is Kyle Jordan. Who wants to guess who his father is?
Old 3 Jan 2016, 15:17 (Ref:3601810)   #827
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Darth Vader?
Old 3 Jan 2016, 15:31 (Ref:3601813)   #828
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
One of the production companies being talked about to make the C4 coverage is Whisper Films.

C4 owns a minority stake in Whisper. Among the other large shareholders are David Coulthard, Jake and Harriet Humphrey. And the commercial director of Whisper Films is Kyle Jordan. Who wants to guess who his father is?
You mean Jacob Humphrey! Tee hee! Thanks for prompting me to look that up.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3601815)   #829
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C4's "minority stake" is no such thing. They have security against the assets of the Company for a loan they gave in August. Then Whisper changed its accounting year end from a UK focused 31 March to an international friendly 31 December as recently as mid-November. Interesting...
Old 3 Jan 2016, 16:37 (Ref:3601826)   #830
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
C4's "minority stake" is no such thing. They have security against the assets of the Company for a loan they gave in August. Then Whisper changed its accounting year end from a UK focused 31 March to an international friendly 31 December as recently as mid-November. Interesting...
Hmmm. Someone must be adding Bisto* to the plot, it's thickening nicely now.
*Other gravy powders are available / terms & conditions apply / investments may go up or down.
Old 4 Jan 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3602011)   #831
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
...Who wants to guess who his father is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Darth Vader?

brilliant!
Old 4 Jan 2016, 15:54 (Ref:3602012)   #832
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Darth Vader?
Are you sure, as I hate plot spoilers?
Old 5 Jan 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3602191)   #833
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Channel 4 really need to get there presenting team right for there coverage of F1. The reason being, there will be undoubtably boring races in 2016, and because of that folks could and will switch off. If you have a good presenting team with plenty of creativity, you can then at least feed that thirst of the F1 fans. That's one thing about Sky F1. I don't know how many times whilst reflecting on a GP weekend with mates that the talk was about an interview or feature on the pre show or post show. Sky have really nailed that. Oh and some of the races weren't too bad ether.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 15:59 (Ref:3602268)   #834
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It would be a shame to lose Ben, who IMHO and maybe a few others the best commentator since Murray. Watching the F1 2015 Review DVD, when the red lights came on, the engine notes rise and then the lights went out, I found it hard not to say 'lights out, away we go' which is a sign of a good commentator
Old 5 Jan 2016, 16:22 (Ref:3602275)   #835
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It would be a shame to lose Ben, who IMHO and maybe a few others the best commentator since Murray. Watching the F1 2015 Review DVD, when the red lights came on, the engine notes rise and then the lights went out, I found it hard not to say 'lights out, away we go' which is a sign of a good commentator
I would really like to see Channel 4 bring back Murray Walker, as a studio based anchor man but I'm probably living in the realms of fantasy.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3602281)   #836
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I would really like to see Channel 4 bring back Murray Walker, as a studio based anchor man but I'm probably living in the realms of fantasy.
Sadly, with his health problems I don't see this happening. Plus, at his age he'll not be anywhere near as sharp as he used to be, and I for one would hate my last memories of Murray's involvement with TV Motorsport to be not what they are at the moment. (Apologies for my clumsy explanation, but I can't think of a better way of putting it into words).
Old 5 Jan 2016, 23:10 (Ref:3602377)   #837
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Sadly, with his health problems I don't see this happening. Plus, at his age he'll not be anywhere near as sharp as he used to be, and I for one would hate my last memories of Murray's involvement with TV Motorsport to be not what they are at the moment. (Apologies for my clumsy explanation, but I can't think of a better way of putting it into words).
In reality, I think he could have carried on for another 5-10 years if he had wanted. He commentated on one of the Australian GP's for Aussie TV, not sure on the year, but it was quite recently, he still sounded as good as ever.

However he retired when he wanted to, so you have to respect his decision on that.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 23:20 (Ref:3602380)   #838
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
In reality, I think he could have carried on for another 5-10 years if he had wanted. He commentated on one of the Australian GP's for Aussie TV, not sure on the year, but it was quite recently, he still sounded as good as ever.

However he retired when he wanted to, so you have to respect his decision on that.
Sorry, not wishing to become a troll here, but this brings to mind my Dad's comments regarding my brother in law's (very) amateur cricket career.
When he was trying to decide if he should play 'just one more season' dad's (albeit sarcastic) advice was "Well Trevor, I think you'd be better off to quit now whilst you've still got the crowd's roar of success in your ears!" How many people do we all know in various walks of life who've soldiered on too long and ruined the excellent reputation that they have spent literally years building up? Personally, I find that very sad, and think it takes a strong man (or woman) to make the right decision in these circumstances, and Murray (God bless him) is one of these special people.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 00:10 (Ref:3602388)   #839
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
He commentated on one of the Australian GP's for Aussie TV, not sure on the year, but it was quite recently, he still sounded as good as ever.
While it was good to hear him again (and his enthusiasm for the sport is a strong as it always was) he provided colour comments, not main commentating. (Appears to have been 2006/07 and a lot has happened since then )
Old 6 Jan 2016, 10:18 (Ref:3602480)   #840
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Sorry, not wishing to become a troll here, but this brings to mind my Dad's comments regarding my brother in law's (very) amateur cricket career.
When he was trying to decide if he should play 'just one more season' dad's (albeit sarcastic) advice was "Well Trevor, I think you'd be better off to quit now whilst you've still got the crowd's roar of success in your ears!" How many people do we all know in various walks of life who've soldiered on too long and ruined the excellent reputation that they have spent literally years building up? Personally, I find that very sad, and think it takes a strong man (or woman) to make the right decision in these circumstances, and Murray (God bless him) is one of these special people.
I think in pretty much all circumstances, quit while you still just ahead.

For sports people because they are generally very driven. motivated and confident, I think it can be hard for them decide because they believe that the next race or match will be better. I am sure both Tom K and Alan McNish could have done another year or event two, but decided the time was right for them - maybe it is as simple as not enjoying it anymore. particularly for International/World events where the travel and staying away becomes harder than ther actual race or match.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 11:19 (Ref:3602499)   #841
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The deal will be done like all deals in business.

By the person who pays the most and pays the most into the pockets of those making decisions.

It will not be the best coverage, the best team, the best of anything, it will be the deal that does the dirty stuff and meets the requirement s of everyones "mates".

That is how media works and it always will be. Mates of mates, not in the club, no chance despite you being far better than what we have!
Old 6 Jan 2016, 15:05 (Ref:3602543)   #842
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I wasn't aware of his health issues, so fair enough.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 17:06 (Ref:3602571)   #843
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Walker broke his pelvis a short few year ago and suffered some cancer albiet a variety that was thankfully subsequently remedied.

I'd say he could do commentary if it was studio based rather than on-location. But the chances of the stars aligning that would see that happen are, well, zero.

We're also getting deeper into a younger generation that wouldn't really know or have strong memories about him.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 17:41 (Ref:3602579)   #844
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Walker broke his pelvis a short few year ago and suffered some cancer albiet a variety that was thankfully subsequently remedied.

I'd say he could do commentary if it was studio based rather than on-location. But the chances of the stars aligning that would see that happen are, well, zero.

We're also getting deeper into a younger generation that wouldn't really know or have strong memories about him.
I wonder how much the younger generation are into motorsport? If my 18 year old son is anything to go by it's a big fat zero.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 17:56 (Ref:3602580)   #845
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
If the younger generation aren't into Motorsport, we're in trouble. But the success of games like Gran Turismo suggests to me we'll be OK.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 18:30 (Ref:3602590)   #846
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Lee MacKenzie tweeted that she was looking forward to working with the BBC on the Six Nations this year, so suggests to me she'll stay with Auntie.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 18:34 (Ref:3602592)   #847
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
If the younger generation aren't into Motorsport, we're in trouble. But the success of games like Gran Turismo suggests to me we'll be OK.
My very limited insight into the younger generation tells me that many kids enjoy the thrill of playing motor based games on a TV/monitor, but they have no real interest in watching the live action. My own grandson plays on Playstation/X-Box and wants all the latest car racing games, yet will happily read a book or do something else if motor racing is on the TV.

And it's not that his grandfathers have no interest; by a weird quirk of fate, because we hadn't met until the day before my son's wedding to his daughter, he was a navigator and a driver on the British rally scene for many years whilst I raced saloons in my past. Both my sons have always enjoyed watching motor racing, but it doesn't seemed to have rubbed off.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 19:59 (Ref:3602604)   #848
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
While games like Gran Turismo are noteworthy and popular, in general they are not the big fish in the pond of video games. Other gameplay types outsell them and the most recent editions on PlayStation (GT 6) and Xbox (Forza 6) are selling lower numbers than their predecessors. So their popularity is trending in the wrong direction just like motorsport fan demographics.

Richard
Old 6 Jan 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3602613)   #849
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Not wanting to go completely off topic but from what I've experienced, playing a sports based game is different from following a sport. My son plays EA's FIFA game but has no actual interest in Football and it's similar with his pals.
Old 6 Jan 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3602617)   #850
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Exactly, it has nothing to do with gaming, I can't see a rush for military service just because people play CoD!

What I can see though is games manufacturers capitalising on modern life, hence GTA5!

It is going to take something special to reignite peoples interest, and it wont coem from the establishment, as they want everything the same as it is, take our awesome MSA as an example!

Tags
pinks