Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 30 Jul 2023, 09:41 (Ref:4170547)   #876
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Potentially podium again

On a serious note, a belated welcome to the forum. Have enjoyed your posts.

On the Porsche, I think it was Marshall Pruett who was saying that their suspension is so trick, with an infinite amount of settings, that Penske may have got lost in the weeds a bit. But it's not the suspension that is causing the car to constantly stop out on track.

What's exciting is seeing these teams make the jump from year one to year two. For much of 2021 the GR010 looked like an absolute dog to be honest. We know Porsche have the means to put it right. Hopefully Pug do too.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 14:01 (Ref:4170600)   #877
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Right. To my knowledge the cars are officially windtunneld once a year. They must remain compliant to the results any time. But they can have homologated at least two different aero elements. As to mesure any pitch on-track alteration, you're right, the instances can monitor this live, amongst many other things. What is the tolerance applied, I dunno. As the put the wing to the bin, you've been heard. They will win at least once this year.
I don’t recall the once the year and I thought it was a single element that can be adjusted. The car has to remain within the window throughout the entire adjustment.

When developing the car Toyota had to decide whether to have a front adjustment or a rear wing adjustment. They went rear wing.
Old 30 Jul 2023, 18:28 (Ref:4170659)   #878
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don’t recall the once the year and I thought it was a single element that can be adjusted. The car has to remain within the window throughout the entire adjustment.

When developing the car Toyota had to decide whether to have a front adjustment or a rear wing adjustment. They went rear wing.
Single element only is correct, and the car must maintain downforce/drag ration in full range of adjustment
Old 30 Jul 2023, 18:34 (Ref:4170660)   #879
tomcug
Veteran

tomcug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don’t recall the once the year and I thought it was a single element that can be adjusted.
True for both LMH and LMDh.
Quote:
Only one bodywork adjustable aerodynamic device (such as a wing, flap…) may be used. Whatever the position of this device, the car must fullfill the aerodynamic criteria defined in the Appendixes to these Regulations at all times.
Quote:
Only one bodywork adjustable aerodynamic device or devices assembly (such as a front or rear wing, flap, dive-plane, gurney, etc…) may be used. Whatever the position of this device, the car must fulfil the aerodynamic criteria defined in these Regulations at all times.
As for wind tunnel testing, I also believe there isn't any mandatory retesting every year. Only in case of jokers they must check if car still meets the aero window after updates (obviously).
Old 14 Aug 2023, 13:16 (Ref:4172731)   #880
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It took a couple of looks, both static and in motion, to get the gist of what the designers were looking for. It's not the main rear section for downforce, it's the two smaller ones over the rear wheels that's the center of the idea. Both are adjustable, but they are lack one thing: in the same way that the Chaparral had in their cars in the late 60's. On braking and turning, the rear wing would move to direct air to create downforce over the rear wheels.

A similar idea is to make those rear winglets/channels operate in a similar manner, but differently in certain situations. Full down in hard braking, but in cornering to varying degrees where the outer would stabilize and the inner would maintain. Similar to trim tabs on a speedboat.

The car doesn't have that and the result is that you have good straitaway stability but compromised in the turns both entering and exiting. It would work with an active system, but the rules would be the problem.
Old 8 Sep 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4175672)   #881
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Stoffel Vandoorne to replace Müller. Not a real newbie in the Peugeot Totalenergies team he's a reserve driver (plus test at Aragon). Will he help them for the first win of the year?
Old 8 Sep 2023, 13:18 (Ref:4175673)   #882
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Stoffel Vandoorne to replace Müller. Not a real newbie in the Peugeot Totalenergies team he's a reserve driver (plus test at Aragon). Will he help them for the first win of the year?
I think track conditions may end up deciding who wins this one. Wet and variable might suite the Peugeot just fine.
Old 8 Sep 2023, 15:35 (Ref:4175696)   #883
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yep, but I don't think there's any relashionship beteween track conditions and wingless design but they are advantageously Bop'ed on a demanding track. They say they've been focused on fixing the reliability issues they had.
Old 8 Sep 2023, 15:47 (Ref:4175700)   #884
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, but I don't think there's any relashionship beteween track conditions and wingless design but they are advantageously Bop'ed on a demanding track. They say they've been focused on fixing the reliability issues they had.
thought wingless design also meant same size tyres for max rear tunnel size (mainly smaller rear tyres) and lower hybrid kick in speed (unless that's been changed) and wet weather running were quite compatible
Old 8 Sep 2023, 16:00 (Ref:4175702)   #885
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL17 View Post
thought wingless design also meant same size tyres for max rear tunnel size (mainly smaller rear tyres) and lower hybrid kick in speed (unless that's been changed) and wet weather running were quite compatible
the lower speed of front wheel drive is what i was referring to. They seemed to do alright at that race in July when it was wet.
Old 8 Sep 2023, 16:36 (Ref:4175706)   #886
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If my memory serves right, its up to the RC, and only him/them, to declare the track statuus, dry or wet before the start. This is seconded by a panel shown to the competitors at the exit of the pit-lane (together with "rain light on" if needed). In principle, this does not change during the race. Which makes sense imo.

From Adam's infos it was not obvious that the hybrid kick was a real advantage at the exit of the corners for the Pugs.

I'm fully with joeb saying: "I think track conditions may end up deciding who wins this one".
Old 8 Sep 2023, 18:04 (Ref:4175718)   #887
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don’t think the data I’ve posted in these threads allows you to tell. They tend to be full lap times, top speeds and the occasional sector speeds. Along with recreating the BoP tables: https://tentenths.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=417

But at Le Mans we did see them come to the fore in the changeable conditions. There are lots of selfies from the Peugeot pit to back this up.

Edit: And it looked like it was better in those conditions.

Last edited by Adam43; 8 Sep 2023 at 18:38.
Old 8 Sep 2023, 19:15 (Ref:4175725)   #888
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Top lap times wouldn’t show wet weather performance but remember a few spots of rain 7ish? in T23 when yellow caddy was spinning and also was up on Porsche curves about 4am (possibly earlier) when the Peugeot that had been leading limped back after crashing from the lead?

So they did have a good few hours in the rain - although there was a long SC period around midnight
Old 8 Sep 2023, 19:29 (Ref:4175727)   #889
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Even a fast car can be spannered into the barriers. It just hits it harder.

Their best showing occurred at this time. As much as we can tell this is a contributing factor. Of course it is a hypothesis. We’re not engineers on these teams, but wet or dry, we know Peugeot have this break in BoP
Old 8 Sep 2023, 19:43 (Ref:4175730)   #890
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
Checking the hourly positions:

94 was 10th after 2 hours and then lead after ]edit 4 hours] and was also leading after 8,9 &10 hours so not just a pit stop anomaly
Old 8 Sep 2023, 22:18 (Ref:4175747)   #891
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It did alright.

This isn’t one thing that means they win with a bit of drizzle in Fuji, but it will help.

Fuji rain can just be bad for everyone anyway, drainage isn’t great, and when it rains it can rain.
Old 9 Sep 2023, 14:24 (Ref:4175824)   #892
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Check the Spa numbers, they have a better equation with Fuji. Similar conditions...
Old 10 Sep 2023, 08:25 (Ref:4176019)   #893
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
One lap on-board at Fuji with Duval: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB6qB24xKXY
Old 10 Sep 2023, 14:47 (Ref:4176053)   #894
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Fuji 6 hrs: #94 finishing seventh one lap down followed by #93 two laps down. Crual. BoP'ed as they are we could expect a better result.
Old 10 Sep 2023, 16:39 (Ref:4176065)   #895
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The Pug just needs a philosophy revision, probably mostly aero if the car is mechanically sound.
Old 10 Sep 2023, 18:39 (Ref:4176087)   #896
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Assuming you're serious, Sodemo, you're talking about the whole wingless concept. Hope you're wrong here. 'F course, nothing personal.
Old 11 Sep 2023, 08:21 (Ref:4176236)   #897
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Assuming you're serious, Sodemo, you're talking about the whole wingless concept. Hope you're wrong here. 'F course, nothing personal.
So what can Peugeot do?
Old 11 Sep 2023, 12:03 (Ref:4176256)   #898
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
It's all in their hands. I don't think they have enough will and money to have a brand new car designed bearing in mind they have to report to the board.

They now have the reliability but a noticeable lack of pace in Sector 3 at Fuji. Very good drivers, constant, no mistake and staying away from any incident/accident. Vandoorne for his first race has been impressive imo. Few post race words but nice, fair and deserved congrats to Porsche. My bet is they're looking for improvements and not good words. What can they find before Bahreïn?
Old 11 Sep 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4176265)   #899
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The Pug just needs a philosophy revision, probably mostly aero if the car is mechanically sound.
That's exactly what I was saying, it has to be the aero.. more so towards the rear of the car.
Old 12 Sep 2023, 09:13 (Ref:4176420)   #900
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
The cynic in me thinks that Peugeot designed this car to be like a "LeMans special". They were probably banking on the car underperforming at the other venues, but being a silver bullet at LeMans, but that never happened.