Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Aug 2024, 19:42 (Ref:4222127)   #951
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
John, do you manage to watch the series called the Supervet on C4, I think? It's about the pioneering veterinary surgeon Noel Fitzpatrick, who has created a leading practice in Southeast England. There is a series running at the moment, 20.00 hrs BST on Thursdays.
No, I haven't got any UK TV now, other than a BBC (fake)News Channel that I never watch.

The SPA that I mentioned is the French equivalent of the RSPCA but far, far better. No politics for a start, just care for & rehoming of animals, all of which they do superbly. So much so, they will be in my will.
Old 8 Aug 2024, 20:14 (Ref:4222194)   #952
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
No, I haven't got any UK TV now, other than a BBC (fake)News Channel that I never watch.

The SPA that I mentioned is the French equivalent of the RSPCA but far, far better. No politics for a start, just care for & rehoming of animals, all of which they do superbly. So much so, they will be in my will.

John, if you've got a VPN, try watching Supervet online; some of the stuff he has done and is doing is absolutely incredible. In fact, some of his pioneering surgery and use of engineering/3D printing of orthopaedic implants are now being implemented in human surgery.
Old 9 Aug 2024, 06:42 (Ref:4222224)   #953
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks, Mike. Don't really know anything about VPN's but my internet provider is now offering them but perhaps I should look into it, especially now that 2TK's Stasi seem to be poking their noses in everywhere!
Old 9 Aug 2024, 06:47 (Ref:4222225)   #954
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John, it needs to be an international VPN so you can appear to be logging in from anther country. For IPlayer and UK based TV you need to be viewing from a UK based IP. There are a number of them out there and they can be relatively inexpensive.
Old 9 Aug 2024, 11:42 (Ref:4222258)   #955
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Thanks Peter. I am not terribly tecky on all this stuff but will investigate somehow, somewhere.

I went with Nordnet for my internet because I like to support local, and whilst I have had absolutely no problems with it, they are a bit slow & dozy when you want to change anything. It took them so long to switch my mobile to them i lost my number!
Old 10 Aug 2024, 05:05 (Ref:4222338)   #956
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Yes many SPA centers are doing well, its all about the local stuff and region too. Since the Covid we have so many animals waiting for rehoming. And some dog species are an issue now like Huskies for example, they can be dangerous and can't be happy living in an appartement. One day or another, the regulation authorities will have to restrict the offer and be more careful about the two first categories of dogs and affiliated.
Old 10 Aug 2024, 12:09 (Ref:4222351)   #957
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

John, if you want uk tv, easiest way is to buy a 2nd hand skybox & dish(£25) in the uk & as long as you can point it towards south east, you can get all mainstream channel plus about 30 others, all unscrambled, so not paying anything.

If you buy a sat-view (not free view) humax box you can even record stuff to view at your leisure !

Mind you, most of it is rubbish !!
Old 10 Aug 2024, 12:35 (Ref:4222353)   #958
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Thanks for that Martin.

We actually brought our Sky box with us when we moved to France 20 years ago & it worked fine for years until. When fibre optic came along, I took a very good package here for internet/TV/telephone. There was only one British channel (BBC News) included in the package & to be honest I don't miss it. I was never a huge TV viewer anyway, & by watching French programmes it is helping me learn.

As you say, there is a lot of rubbish on TV anyway!
Old 11 Aug 2024, 10:17 (Ref:4222439)   #959
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks, Mike. Don't really know anything about VPN's but my internet provider is now offering them but perhaps I should look into it, especially now that 2TK's Stasi seem to be poking their noses in everywhere!
This link might help you figure out about VPNs .
https://whatismyipaddress.com/
Old 11 Aug 2024, 19:42 (Ref:4222495)   #960
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
This link might help you figure out about VPNs .
https://whatismyipaddress.com/
Thanks to Tel & everyone else who has been so helpful regarding VPN's. It is very much appreciated & I will report back if & when I make some progress.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 09:13 (Ref:4222602)   #961
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can anyone explain why Highways England feel it necessary to reduce speed on virtually every variable speed stretch of motorway when traffic is fairly light and free moving?

I had to drive over to Cheshire last week, and in places on the M62/M60 they reduced the speed right down to 40 for no apparent reason, which then bunched up the traffic causing tailbacks several miles long. It made the use of of cruise control virtually redundant.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 09:40 (Ref:4222605)   #962
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can anyone explain why Highways England feel it necessary to reduce speed on virtually every variable speed stretch of motorway when traffic is fairly light and free moving?

I had to drive over to Cheshire last week, and in places on the M62/M60 they reduced the speed right down to 40 for no apparent reason, which then bunched up the traffic causing tailbacks several miles long. It made the use of of cruise control virtually redundant.

Having driven more miles than most people , I have seen the effects of what a minor problem on the road can cause .
On dual carriageways / motorways , a slow moving vehicle or breakdown will often have a queue at the scene , but several miles back the traffic will be suddenly breaking hard because they were not looking far enough in front . So if the traffic controllers know what they are doing they might often be slowing traffic down many miles before the problem .

But the chance that the traffic controllers know what they are doing is often very slight , so you should expect the normal chaos to carry on .
Old 13 Aug 2024, 11:29 (Ref:4222609)   #963
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I remember reading a suggestion regarding (so called) 'Smart Motorways' that lowering the speed of the vehicles is a way of reducing the speed limit. The theory being that, due to reduced stopping distances, more traffic can be packed onto every mile (for example) of the road. I've never taken the time to sit down & do the calculations, but would have also thought that the benefits would have been outweighed by the fact that it then takes these vehicles even longer to cover that distance, but hey, what do I know?
Old 13 Aug 2024, 11:53 (Ref:4222613)   #964
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But the chance that the traffic controllers know what they are doing is often very slight , so you should expect the normal chaos to carry on .
I think it's because said traffic controllers are too lazy or incompetent to monitor these situations when the so called 'incident' or 'congestion' has cleared.
As has been mentioned, the 'congestion' has been caused by the stupidity of the traffic controllers.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 13:00 (Ref:4222618)   #965
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Will I ever grow up?

I've just fitted two new front tyres to my car and have left the stickers on so I can pretend they're qualifiers (like I used to in the 1980's)!
Old 13 Aug 2024, 13:53 (Ref:4222620)   #966
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
About taffic, two days after the mess we knew in Paris area could it be worse? Yes, of course, tonight we have a concert given by AC DC right in the middle of bois de Boulogne!

Viva you shound now have a ROPS as we had in the ' 70s, some lenghts of water hose and some foam around to hyde it from the scrutineers!
Old 13 Aug 2024, 13:59 (Ref:4222622)   #967
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:

It does seem that the internet is a lot more obtrusive lately .
Ran my " Spy Bot " program today . Usually do it every week and it gets rid of cookies and other spying hang ons .
Today it dumped 328 small programs which had hooked up onto my computer .
I always go incognito but it does seem that a lot of stuff still gets dumped on you now .
Old 13 Aug 2024, 17:03 (Ref:4222630)   #968
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

You need "smart" cruise control, Mike. It can cruise adaptively and then manage everything for you in stop-start traffic.

Allegedly.

If I ever have the opportunity to drive without management as a passenger in a situation that allows me to fully test the theory I'll come back and post an update.

Locally to me they have severely restricted lanes on the M1 whilst they retrofit so called "Safety Refuges" that they should have provided a decade ago when they upgraded the entire section.

At the same time the Gas people as closing a main alternative A road for 6 weeks, next to a busy Airport in mid holiday season, in order to do some work on the pipes that run under the road.

And, of course, there are a number of other "local" maintenance works that are active at the same time.

I'm ever more convinced that the "Only EVs by 2030" message is really code speak for "Give up all expectations of effective travel by 2030 in preparation for a total ban on travel by 2040". Unless your travel is State mandated.
Old 13 Aug 2024, 17:10 (Ref:4222633)   #969
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Today it dumped 328 small programs which had hooked up onto my computer .I always go incognito but it does seem that a lot of stuff still gets dumped on you now .
Same here, incognito and auto cancellation of traces and navigation, cookies and other stuff mean nothing now. I wonder if the situation is not worse on smartphones.
Old 18 Aug 2024, 19:02 (Ref:4223057)   #970
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've had a rubbish weekend at work, thoroughly contradicting MG David's strap line *A bad day at the track is always better than a good day at the office."

I got chatting to a guy next to me in the paddock. I was about to bemoan my bad luck when he said "Sorry, I've got to sit down. This is the first time out with my son since I had a brain haemorrhage and a stroke."

I shut up. Its all about perspective, isn't it? Well done sir, that your first thought was to get your son racing again. I salute you.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 18 Aug 2024, 19:50 (Ref:4223061)   #971
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I've had a rubbish weekend at work, thoroughly contradicting MG David's strap line *A bad day at the track is always better than a good day at the office."

I got chatting to a guy next to me in the paddock. I was about to bemoan my bad luck when he said "Sorry, I've got to sit down. This is the first time out with my son since I had a brain haemorrhage and a stroke."

I shut up. Its all about perspective, isn't it? Well done sir, that your first thought was to get your son racing again. I salute you.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Well said, sure puts things in perspective.
Old 23 Aug 2024, 21:17 (Ref:4223558)   #972
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I notice that a cycle race in Wales was postponed and rerouted because the support vehicles would have to break the road speed limit to keep up !! I know it sounds like a joke but it's true in this crazy country we are living in !! I'm just glad that we only spend 6 months a year in it
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Aug 2024, 04:31 (Ref:4223584)   #973
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
I'm just glad I don't spend any time at all there - in fact I haven't been for five years! However, I expect to go at the end of September so will be on the look-out for a dinghy & a free hotel...
Old 24 Aug 2024, 07:48 (Ref:4223594)   #974
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The state of England as a nation is at risk from the very people who are elected to care for it, this has been the case for many years, the current Social Elite put me in mind of President Reagan's joke about the Soviet Union;

Two Russians are talking, one asks; "Is this it, have we reached a state of perfect Communism at last?"

"Oh, no." replies his friend, "Things have got to get a lot worse yet."

Being a Pensioner, I expect to be worse off financially, but at least, as I can no longer drive, I shall miss motorway travel, something I did a lot of. Some you win, most you lose.

Book your place on a rubber boat heading for Afghanistan. It must be better over there.
Old 24 Aug 2024, 07:51 (Ref:4223595)   #975
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh dear! I have just realised my last post could bring the law down upon me.