Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 16 Jul 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2502958)   #76
fyrth
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol
fyrth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ex-Dempster LNF3 in the Esses at Shelsley Walsh in 2008, image by Richard Danby http://www.zipp.co.uk/gallery.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2927019)   #77
tura1982
Rookie

Italy
Padova Italia
tura1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, I have the number 16! unfortunately I sold because too many cars in my garage .... I include photos if anyone might be interehttp://tentenths.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1310728979sted!
Attached Thumbnails
scansione0004_2.jpg   IMG_0685.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 2 Jan 2014, 19:55 (Ref:3349773)   #78
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Can anyone help please. A very good friend of mine races his F3 Ensign in the Dutch Monoposto championship.His chassis number is LNFB 74. Does this mean his car was built as an Atlantic. Thanks in advance Iain.
Old 2 Jan 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3349779)   #79
fyrth
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol
James Kelly? I imagine FB referred to Formula B in the USA so this suggests a 1974 chassis sold with an unrestricted twincam. Curiously LNFA was occasionally used to describe an Ensign fitted with a BDA & racing in Atlantic.

Anyway, by 1974 Mo Nunn had long since moved on from the F3 cars to his Von Opel funded F1 project, Peter Bloore acquiring everything and continuing to sell parts and presumably the occasional chassis and complete car. As far as I'm aware, back in the day no F3 cars ever had a chassis plate although the Arch Motor chassis stamp might be apparent at the top of one of the rear corners, although most have been knocked off if the chassis had any serious use.
Old 2 Jan 2014, 20:18 (Ref:3349782)   #80
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iain, Ensign Atlantics, only Ray Mallock as I recall. He was due to run one for the 74 season here, but gave up on it early that year. There was a 72 F2 chassis for, John Burton, but that rarely, if ever, raced as well. Though the name Tony Walker in an FAt car rings bells too... Allen or Chris will be on here soon no doubt with more info!!
Old 2 Jan 2014, 23:03 (Ref:3349843)   #81
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan's covered it. Ray Mallock raced a car called an Ensign LNFB/74 in Formula Atlantic in early 1974. It was entered by The Chequered Flag. Later in the year, an ex-F2 1850cc Hart BDA was fitted for some libre races. It may have been an ex-Henton car, may then have gone to Ted Dzierzek and may have later been exported.

What does your friend know about his car's recent history? Maybe we can join up the pieces. As a matter of interest, what gearbox does it have in it?
Old 3 Jan 2014, 11:59 (Ref:3349957)   #82
James K
Rookie

James K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Iain for recommending the site. My Ensign was run by Winston Bunn in the 90's, who I believe won the F3 class twice with it. It does have the AM stamp on the left rear corner, and has a Mk 9 gearbox.I have owned the car since 2000, and would be gratefull for any information.
Old 3 Jan 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3350025)   #83
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
Thanks Iain for recommending the site. My Ensign was run by Winston Bunn in the 90's, who I believe won the F3 class twice with it. It does have the AM stamp on the left rear corner, and has a Mk 9 gearbox.I have owned the car since 2000, and would be gratefull for any information.
James, please could you post a photo of the AM stamp, or an exact transcription of what it says. Also, what's the gearbox number - Hewland has archives. If it was an Atlantic at new I'd expect an FT200, but the Mk9 might reveal something about an intermediate owner.
Also there may be a number stamped onto rear lh side of chassis frame at rear of cockpit chassis cross member, in front of the engine section

The problem is that the Winston Bunn car has no definite links back pre-1990, although I suspect it was one of the cars raced in the early days of HF3 by Martin Clements, Dave Pearce, Michael Flounders and Peter Swann, all of whom I'm still trying to trace.

The AM number may be the closest we come to identifying a chassis number - Ensigns just don't seem to have them, or indeed consistent frame stampings! We would have to work through the provenance and do a bit of identification by elimination. We know, roughly, how many Ensigns were built, and some do have settled histories.
There was only one works car run as an Atlantic [originally for Graham Eden's team it ended up being a works car for Mike Walker because Ensign were slow delivering and so Eden cancelled the order. However, there were two ordered - one for Chris Oates, one for Ken Bailey - so I guess two were laid down and the other just became an F3, but maybe with some kind of FAtlantic marking]
But a 74FB doesn't make sense unless it's a post-factory conversion as Ensign was out of the customer car game by 1974.
In 1974 Trevor Scarratt converted Colin Vandervell's F3 car to Atlantic spec with a BDD, but ran out of money before he could race it.
Is the engine out of the car? It would be interesting to compare the engine bay to a straight F3 car. I'm currently working on an Ensign in the USA where the bay has been modified, probably to take an FVA and it might provide further evidence of post-factory modification.

Cheers
Chris
Old 3 Jan 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3350042)   #84
James K
Rookie

Many thanks for the information Chris. The number on the chassis rail is AM LNFB74. There are currently 5 Ensigns in Germany, and compared to Peter Prause's car, which also runs in the HMR series, mine appears to have a slightly wider front track and a strongly braced roll over bar behind the instruments. I will check the gearbox number, which hopefully may offer up a few secrets.
James
Old 3 Jan 2014, 22:49 (Ref:3350198)   #85
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
HF3 by Martin Clements, Dave Pearce, Michael Flounders and Peter Swann, all of whom I'm still trying to trace.
This has just got spooky,I know them all, which means I have worked on your car before James.
Old 4 Jan 2014, 00:13 (Ref:3350209)   #86
James K
Rookie

Iain, I didn't know that you had previously worked on Ensigns. Time to look through the archives.
Cheers
James
Old 11 Jan 2014, 15:38 (Ref:3352819)   #87
James K
Rookie

Now back in Germany and have had time to look at the Ensign paperwork. W. Bunn bought the car in '87 from Richard George who had bought it from Jim Seager. Maybe, Jim, my car is the one you sold to Richard as a skinned chassis. Do you have any pictures, especially of the front roll hoop area. My car also had a gearbox mounted wing, however there was no engine cover supplied. Thanks, James.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3359644)   #88
Pete Duggan
Rookie

Pete Duggan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HI James , some more names from classic F-3 in the 90's - Paul Newton ,Richard Dawson ,Martin Woodman ,they all drove Ensigns in Classic F-3.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 20:55 (Ref:3362693)   #89
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Chris, did you receive my PM.???
Old 1 Feb 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3362891)   #90
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Chris, did you receive my PM.???
Hi Iain, just picked it up. Many thanks!!

Chris
Old 1 Feb 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3363026)   #91
James K
Rookie

Many thanks, Chris and Pete, for the info. Looking through the '74 F3 results, Dick Parsons drove an LNF3/74 sponsored by Smiths Crisps, at Thuxton. The car seems to have a gearbox mounted wing and a front roll hoop.( However the photo is not too clear). Do you know if there were any cars built for the US Formula B series for '74 ?
Cheers
James
Old 1 Feb 2014, 22:02 (Ref:3363029)   #92
James K
Rookie

Many thanks, Pete and Chris , for the info. Looking through the '74 race results at Thuxton, Dick Parsons drove an LN/74 sponsored by Smiths Crisps. The car also has a gearbox mounted wing and possibly a front roll hoop ( the photo isn't too clear ). Do you know if there were any cars built for the US Formula B series in '74 ?.
Cheers
James
Old 1 Feb 2014, 22:43 (Ref:3363045)   #93
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
Many thanks, Pete and Chris , for the info. Looking through the '74 race results at Thuxton, Dick Parsons drove an LN/74 sponsored by Smiths Crisps. The car also has a gearbox mounted wing and possibly a front roll hoop ( the photo isn't too clear ). Do you know if there were any cars built for the US Formula B series in '74 ?.
Cheers
James
James
You definitely don't have the Parsons' car. That has known history all the way to present day.
There were no cars built by Ensign after 1973 except F1. However, there may have been enough spares sold to Bob Howlings to build one or two cars after that.

Chris
Old 2 Feb 2014, 16:50 (Ref:3363287)   #94
Pete Duggan
Rookie

Pete Duggan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Bloore Racing

Hi James , I believe that Peter Bloore took over the LN F3 and or Atlantic/F2 projects after 1973 when Ensign went into F1 .Peter set up Racepatrs U/k. Might be worth contacting them .
Old 3 Feb 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3363662)   #95
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I know Peter well,I will have a chat next time I'm at raceparts.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 10:08 (Ref:3573770)   #96
antoninosavoca
Rookie

antoninosavoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ensign ln n.16 (giorgio Corti)

Hallo friends ,
i am interesting to buy Ensign ln n.16.
the car was raced from Giorgio Corti ,it has Fia paper (new HTP) but no chassis number stamped in the arc.The question is: all 1973 Ensign had chassis n. stamped or is possible it is missing in original chassis?
Thank you v. m. in advance
best regards
Antonino from Italy
Old 14 Sep 2015, 13:21 (Ref:3573802)   #97
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoninosavoca View Post
Hallo friends ,
i am interesting to buy Ensign ln n.16.
the car was raced from Giorgio Corti ,it has Fia paper (new HTP) but no chassis number stamped in the arc.The question is: all 1973 Ensign had chassis n. stamped or is possible it is missing in original chassis?
Thank you v. m. in advance
best regards
Antonino from Italy
Antonio

Ensigns did not have chassis plate. At least, I've never seen one
The frame number is stamped on the left side of the engine subframe, but it may mean nothing as frames were changed and works records - if they existed - do not survive.

When I write Ensign histories for owners (I've now done three and have one in process) I now identify the car by the original owner and show full ownership trail, because we don't have a plate to identify the car.
Ensign only built twenty six cars for F3, F2 and Atlantic, so they can easily be recognised this way. Two sold to Italy in 1973, one for Jolly Club [Carlo Giorgio] one for Scuderia Nettuno [Roberto Marazzi]

Chris
Old 14 Sep 2015, 19:28 (Ref:3573870)   #98
antoninosavoca
Rookie

antoninosavoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ensign f 3

Excuse me Cris ,
i was wrong , n. 16 chassis is Carlo Giorgio car , i was wrong and wrote giorgio corti.
I am looking to buy this car in Italy, now the last owner is Francesco Turatello.
I would have more info abouth this car , can you , please help me?
Thank you v. m.
best regards from Italy
Antonino Savoca
Old 12 Dec 2015, 20:41 (Ref:3597354)   #99
zursch
Rookie

zursch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Painting of an Ensign LNF3 by Dion Pears

Hey there folks,

I collect paintings by Dion Pears - he painted a lot of classic race images, and I just acquired this board painting on ebay. I have narrowed it down to an LNF3, but have not been able to ID the driver or the particular race. Pears generally painted very specific notable moments in racing, so I am reasonably sure that there would be a story behind this:

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Thanks!

Jeff Zurschmeide
Portland, Oregon
Old 13 Dec 2015, 10:01 (Ref:3597466)   #100
fyrth
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol
Certainly a UK hillclimb car with the timing strut. Could be David Way's Ensign in the mid/late 1970s, almost identical but the red and white colours transposed. Could even be Pardon Hairpin at Prescott.