Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Alonso will stay at Ferrari.
Kimi will stay at Lotus.
Ricciardo goes to RBR.

That's my bet.
How about a side bet on Kimi going to Ferrari?
Alonso and Kimi at Ferrari in 2014!
Old 13 Aug 2013, 10:17 (Ref:3289197)   #77
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I've never bought this idea that Schumacher vetoed quick drivers coming in to Ferrari. He was simply too good for Irvine, Barrichello and Massa. But I have never seen any evidence that, say, Hill or Häkkinen wanted to drive for Ferrari and Schuey said no. Whereas Senna *did* veto team mates (or at least one).
But I think that Senna wasn't motivated by fearing competition. He simply wanted to ensure that all the effort and attention was centred on him, rather than diluted by trying to run two equal cars.
This is no different to what went on in earlier generations when the number one got the best chassis, engine gearbox, tyres etc. (like Fangio, Moss, and others).

It should come as no surprise that when asked who he thought was the greatest driver he said Fangio, noting that when he met him he found that Fangio thought very much like he (Senna) thought.
That's why he respected him so much.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3289236)   #78
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So for some drivers (MSC, VET[?]) such a clause would be because they are afraid of competition and for others because they want to ensure they get the best material. For the former the clause is a sign of cowardice, for the latter of cleverness? Something seems double here. Standards?
Old 13 Aug 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3289299)   #79
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who said for some drivers is one thing and for others something else ? I'm confused.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3289726)   #80
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting article...although not new news, but recently put out there again just the same.

http://gulfnews.com/sport/motorsport...onen-1.1220159
Old 14 Aug 2013, 22:50 (Ref:3289924)   #81
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Interesting article...although not new news, but recently put out there again just the same.

http://gulfnews.com/sport/motorsport...onen-1.1220159
the race car shell costs $125 million,

How the hell do you pay that much for a canoe?
Old 15 Aug 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3290138)   #82
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

I'd have to assume that the cost for R&D to get the shells made, and to run the shells for a year (damage etc). It certainly doesn't cost that in CF. Still more than £42.50 and a pickled egg, but not 125M.

Still quite a lot of cash though...
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 14:16 (Ref:3290197)   #83
beardyfinn
Rookie

beardyfinn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kimi will stay put unless the financial status of Lotus will force him out. He likes the freedom that Lotus gives him and it's not an awful car either.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3290228)   #84
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Well I would not describe it as a canoe, but I was shocked when I saw that figure. How do they spend that type of money beats me ??
Old 17 Aug 2013, 02:56 (Ref:3290865)   #85
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, as the summer break goes on, I am reading more and more about Kimi and Ferrari. Of course I think it is a joke, but some even go as far as saying it is a done deal. Journalists are having a hey day with their predictions.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 06:17 (Ref:3290888)   #86
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it very telling that these rumours exist and Ferrari have chosen to deny them rather than ignore them?

It strikes me that Kimi knows he cant stay at Lotus as money is tight and they cant really give him a championship challenging car. So he has to move. Red Bull is the logical seat for him. But what if that's gone? they wouldn't stick Riccardo in there if they could get a champion. Which must mean Alonso to Red Bull. It's not as crazy as everyone thinks - Alonso wants a championship winning car and feels now like he could go toe to toe with the best in the same team. Red Bull have managed a delicate teammate relationship for some time now, so why couldn't they manage Alonso and Vettel. Horner has said on a number of occasions that he wants the best two drivers - Alonso is the best there is, and I think he'd pick Alonso over Kimi. That leaves Kimi with no other choice but a return to Ferrari, possibly alongside Hulkenberg.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3290912)   #87
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
This was interesting

http://www.pitpass.com/49655/Raikkonen-tries-GP3-car

Wonder how Kimi would go in GP3?
Old 18 Aug 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3291427)   #88
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
But I think that Senna wasn't motivated by fearing competition. He simply wanted to ensure that all the effort and attention was centred on him, rather than diluted by trying to run two equal cars.
This is no different to what went on in earlier generations when the number one got the best chassis, engine gearbox, tyres etc. (like Fangio, Moss, and others).
I've heard the Senna thing before (in relation to Derek Warwick), but I don't buy it as a theory that it's any different to Schumacher, Vettel and/or Alonso (delete as appropriate); if any of these don't want a quick number 2 it could also be due to 'resource' reasons. We did see Senna go up against Prost though, but the difference is he was the one stepping up to a better team by going to McLaren, i.e. he didn't have the choice to veto anyone there. If there's any of those drivers who I can see not wanting a quick number 2 for resource rather than fear reasons, it's Schumacher, due to his supposed calculated and detailed-obsessed nature. Alonso is (or was) an overly-emotional driver, so in his case I think it's not for any particularly good reason.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3291467)   #89
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I've heard the Senna thing before (in relation to Derek Warwick), but I don't buy it as a theory that it's any different to Schumacher, Vettel and/or Alonso (delete as appropriate); if any of these don't want a quick number 2 it could also be due to 'resource' reasons. We did see Senna go up against Prost though, but the difference is he was the one stepping up to a better team by going to McLaren, i.e. he didn't have the choice to veto anyone there. If there's any of those drivers who I can see not wanting a quick number 2 for resource rather than fear reasons, it's Schumacher, due to his supposed calculated and detailed-obsessed nature. Alonso is (or was) an overly-emotional driver, so in his case I think it's not for any particularly good reason.
I always felt that Senna was almost obsessive in his desire to have the best of everything. The accusations from some quarters that he moulded McLaren around his needs (including creating a situation Prost felt he couldn't live with) don't surprise me. That he excluded Warwick and got Dumfries as a team mate is par for him. I don't think he did it because he was afraid of Warwick's ability per se but because he didn't want dilution of effort.
If Schumacher had terms relating to No. 1 status in his contract and corresponding requirements in his team mates contracts that wouldn't surprise me either. But I think it was for different reasons.

The Austria situation in 2002 is also interesting, The car was dominant, no one else close to him and Barrichello, so he can let Barrichello hare off into the distance because he knows he can tortoise it till the end, Barrichello is going to have to come back to him....
Old 19 Aug 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3291761)   #90
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Kimi's not going there, apparently..

'Kimi Raikkonen's Red Bull talks end, Daniel Ricciardo set for seat'

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109333
Old 19 Aug 2013, 15:40 (Ref:3291767)   #91
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ricciardio to RBR is a done deal. According to Peter Windsor's twitter feed Alonso and Kimi and switching. That is a bizarre twist in the rumour mill!!
Old 19 Aug 2013, 15:44 (Ref:3291771)   #92
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Ricciardio to RBR is a done deal. According to Peter Windsor's twitter feed Alonso and Kimi and switching. That is a bizarre twist in the rumour mill!!
Switching ? Alonso back to Renault ? That's great !
Old 21 Aug 2013, 03:56 (Ref:3292245)   #93
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
More twists.....Dan may not be the man.

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/red-b...r-at-spa-80324
Old 21 Aug 2013, 07:24 (Ref:3292294)   #94
p-matt
Veteran

Interesting - it was always very clear from what Horner and co said that they wanted a proven world champion alongside Vettel. Ricciardo was only ever the backup choice.

I would be very keen to know why talks broke down with Red Bull in the first place. I don't believe it was all down to money.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3292335)   #95
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post

I would be very keen to know why talks broke down with Red Bull in the first place. I don't believe it was all down to money.
What would including Kimi do to team harmony?

Nothing good will come of this.

Tell him no!

(P.S. I hope Kimi ends up at Ferrari, should keep Alonso honest!)

Last edited by wnut; 21 Aug 2013 at 10:21.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3292377)   #96
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
More speculation...

http://www.f1reader.com/#/news/marko...s-at-spa-80365
Old 21 Aug 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3292419)   #97
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

So Kimi could end up in RBR... that will be interesting.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3292686)   #98
p-matt
Veteran

Is Kimi's illness today a genius way to dodge the questions about his future?!
Old 22 Aug 2013, 11:33 (Ref:3292695)   #99
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Kimi knows how not to answer questions; seems unlikely he'd cry off a press conference to dodge them.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3292704)   #100
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
He probably has a cold.

I mean Kimi murmurs enough when he doesn't have a cold. He must be a complete nightmare with the sniffles.