Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 11 Jan 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1198017)   #76
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!

Very tragic news just coming out of the desert.
After the tragic death of amateur rider Jose Manuel Perez just yesterday after his accident on Stage 7; it has just been announced that two times champion Fabrizio Meoni has passed away after an accident this morning out on stage.
Our thoughts are with the families of both riders - please pay your tributes in the threads in the Tributes Forum.
The toughest race of them all is sadly taking its toll more than normal thie year
Old 11 Jan 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1198196)   #77
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP Fabrizio Meoni ..

Ciao Marco
Old 11 Jan 2005, 18:44 (Ref:1198320)   #78
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1198386)   #79
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the true gentleman at the Dakar.

RIP Fabrizio Meoni...
Old 11 Jan 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1198521)   #80
sjw75
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
sjw75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rest In Peace Meoni.

Team circuitmarshal "In-out round and round"
Old 11 Jan 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1198544)   #81
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In light of the sad events, the organizers have decided to cancel tomorrow's stage for the bikes.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 02:00 (Ref:1198653)   #82
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KTM should really withdraw its works teams from the event.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 02:46 (Ref:1198660)   #83
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why they ought to withdraw -- would it not be better to win it in his honour (and for Richard Sanct, my very favourite of the Dakar riders)?

The desert is a harsh mistress.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 03:01 (Ref:1198664)   #84
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have bet on De Mavius and Caldecott.

I'm doomed.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1198765)   #85
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think winning in an event to honour someone really pales into significance when you have already lost two of the biggest names in the sport in a few months and they are riding for your team. I can understand where they are coming from.
They have also said they are considering their future involvement in rally raid events, not surprising really, they do events like this to win and get good PR at a time whe there is nothing else on motorsport wise and this is not gonna do them or the sport any good, bit like the Isle Of Man really!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1198776)   #86
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I hope that no-one does pull out. As everyone was saying who was interviewed yesterday, the Dakar is tough - yesterday just brought home the realities very bluntly. Having today as a rest day is great to give people a chance to get their heads around what has happened. If by tomorrow the riders still feel unable to concentrate, then of course they should pull out on safety grounds. But I wouldn't pull the entire team out as a mark of respect - the best respect that can be generated is to go and win the rally in the names of Richard and Fabrizio. I'm sure it's what they would have wanted.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1198779)   #87
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't you guys think the organizers may have overdone it this year ? Or is the Dakar just suffering a wave of bad luck?
Old 12 Jan 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1198787)   #88
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
They have also said they are considering their future involvement in rally raid events, not surprising really, they do events like this to win and get good PR at a time whe there is nothing else on motorsport wise and this is not gonna do them or the sport any good, bit like the Isle Of Man really!
And also, KTM is starting to produce road bikes now, and they have achieved everything in MX/enduro/raids. This might be the real reason behind it.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1198876)   #89
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Cause of death for Meoni is given as a broken neck. Also, KTM competition manager Heinz Kinigadner states that he offered Meoni the position of manager for the KTM works teams before the Dakar.

KTM advised its works drivers to withdraw from the event but left the actual decision up to them. They will continue.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1198912)   #90
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrio
Don't you guys think the organizers may have overdone it this year ? Or is the Dakar just suffering a wave of bad luck?
Not really. Stages have been cancelled and shortened during this years event, as it was the stage that claimed Meoni had been cut by a third.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1199136)   #91
Psycho
Rookie

Psycho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Meoni
But at least he was killed doing what he liked, the Dakar
And has anyone noticed its not the Paris-Dakar, its the Barcelona-Dakar this year

Homer: Hello, operator, give me the number for 911 !!
Old 12 Jan 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1199162)   #92
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
And has anyone noticed its not the Paris-Dakar, its the Barcelona-Dakar this year
Yes, noticed. I think the rally is officially called Telefonica Dakar 2005.

Probably they started the rally in Spain because of tabacco regulations. Tabacco advertising isn't allowed in France so to keep Gauloises as a sponsor in the rally they moved to Spain.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 01:55 (Ref:1199513)   #93
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree entirely with Asp's sentiments. It is something for the individual team members (not just riders) to discuss and decide.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 03:06 (Ref:1199527)   #94
Liz
Veteran

I'm glad they are going to continue. But if any decide to withdraw, I will not say them nay. Everyone knows his own strength best.

Motorcycles are not safe. Even if you are riding them in your back parking lot.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1199778)   #95
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OH SAd DAys
i heard that Fabrizio Meoni has fallen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we have lost 2 great riders in two days
my thoughts and prayers to the families....
Old 13 Jan 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1199791)   #96
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless the design of the bikes is in some way responsible for these tragic deaths I see no reason why the teams or the riders should feel obliged to withdraw. Let's face it, if you come off a motorbike at speed you are going to be killed or seriously injured period. The terrain you are on at the time is immaterial. I do think this years rally is too difficult though. I would think that having to cancel a stage because only a handful of competitors had completed it by 11 at night would be a good indication of this, although the ridiculous fuel allocation didn't help. I think the organisers have a a few issues to look at before next years event.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1199816)   #97
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I heard on the limited coverage that we get here one of the bike riders saying he was given 20 liters of fuel to do 300 odd k's, and his bike uses 25l/100k's
Old 14 Jan 2005, 08:52 (Ref:1200635)   #98
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I probably saw the same thing Datto, I was astounded that they would be sending competitors out into the desert in a sandstorm with not enough fuel to reach their destination. Bloody-minded officialdom at it's worst.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1202303)   #99
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
All over for another year

Well, the rally's now over for another year.

Drama on the last day though has Hans Bekx was disqualified just as he was about to get onto the podium due to an illegal air intake system:
Information at eurosport.com

Stephane Peterhansel managed to stay ahead to win the cars - a great performance showing both his skill and performance of the Mitshubishi.

In the bikes, despite getting a 9 minute speeding penatly on Friday, Cyril Despres ahead of Marc Coma and Alfie Cox.
Quote:
Cyril Despres
"It was a good thing that the fight carried on because I think I deserve what I came for even more: first position," he said. "During the tests that we did in Tunisia, we had made the promise with Fabrizio to put a 'blue bike' on the podium.
"My main achievement is to have managed that goal, for him and for Richard," he added. "It's an indescribable feeling. I don't want to be sad but that's how I feel. I don't want to be happy but it's difficult not to be."
eurosport.com

Obviously a tragic race, but apart from the obvious sadness what are people's feelings about this year?
Old 16 Jan 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1202314)   #100
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A hearty congratulations to Stephan Peterhansel for a well-judged, well-driven and well-taken win.