Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Apr 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2451115)   #76
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
seems to be confirmed in this missmash of an article
Old 28 Apr 2009, 00:23 (Ref:2451177)   #77
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Vauxhall is pulling out of the BTCC at the end of the year...

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 04:54 (Ref:2451247)   #78
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Pontiac G8 and GXR cancellation takes around 30,000 off the Commodore production line. The Middle East, (Dubai, Abu Dahbi, Qatar and Bahrain) is experiencing a major slow down so sales there will not be bouyant. That basically leaves Australia and NNZ as the sole markets for a V6/V8 rwd platform. Doubt if local sales would now justify development of a replacement and I can't think of anywhere in the world that is looking for that sort of platform for a bulk selling car.
It might take a while but it seems to suggest that this is terminal for Commodore. Probably terminal for manufacturer backing for V8SC. Can the series keep going as a sort of NASCAR type sillouette formula?
Old 28 Apr 2009, 05:06 (Ref:2451252)   #79
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if business comes back to life, then who knows the G8 may end up as a Chevy.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 05:26 (Ref:2451257)   #80
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
The Pontiac G8 and GXR cancellation takes around 30,000 off the Commodore production line. The Middle East, (Dubai, Abu Dahbi, Qatar and Bahrain) is experiencing a major slow down so sales there will not be bouyant. That basically leaves Australia and NNZ as the sole markets for a V6/V8 rwd platform. Doubt if local sales would now justify development of a replacement and I can't think of anywhere in the world that is looking for that sort of platform for a bulk selling car.
It might take a while but it seems to suggest that this is terminal for Commodore. Probably terminal for manufacturer backing for V8SC. Can the series keep going as a sort of NASCAR type sillouette formula?
once the bean counters get involved the series will die.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 07:30 (Ref:2451314)   #81
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
once the bean counters get involved the series will die.
The series won't die. It just won't have any significant manufacturer involvement.

And that's not all bad.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2451345)   #82
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
The series won't die. It just won't have any significant manufacturer involvement.

And that's not all bad.
That may be true, afterall sports sedans don't have manufacturer involvement and they haven't died.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2451360)   #83
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
That may be true, afterall sports sedans don't have manufacturer involvement and they haven't died.
As long as there are good strong teams and the racing is good, then "Mr & Mrs Average" wouldn't know or care if Holden or Ford are not writing out cheques to some teams. They watch the racing, not the invoices.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 01:48 (Ref:2451921)   #84
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well for the first six or seven years of the V8 formula from 1993, they never really had that much manufacturer financial support anyways.

I don't think V8 Supercars is as much about the particular model of car as it is a marketing exercise.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2451991)   #85
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Pontiac now gone and massive restructure on the cards then I dont think anything could be ruled, I know some people who work for Holden and they are seriously worried at the moment something I have not heard from them in all the years I have know them
Old 30 Apr 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2452735)   #86
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Can the series keep going as a sort of NASCAR type sillouette formula?
You mean its not a sort of NASCAR type silloutte formula now?
Old 1 May 2009, 13:56 (Ref:2453625)   #87
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chrysler to Chapter 11

There is a real issue here... with the US Government basically telling the shareholders their stake is worthless... good luck to their superannuation funds or banks or whoever holds shares in Chrysler, they are now worthless. Cerberus must be very pleased too

If you did something like this in Australia, where a new legal entity is created, and the assets of value are thrown into the new legal entity, and the old one is left to fend for itself... everyone would be up in arms!!

Actually it happened at least twice in motorsport this decade...

I dont think the GM solution will be as neat and tidy as this!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 1 May 2009, 23:51 (Ref:2453907)   #88
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be interesting to know of what is going on in the back ground. I wonder if GMH will be split from GM and put up for sale ASAP to try and get some cash through, has to be remebered too that GMH is the major shareholder of Daewoo.
Old 2 May 2009, 00:20 (Ref:2453918)   #89
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaroo Park View Post
has to be remebered too that GMH is the major shareholder of Daewoo.
No..... General Motors owns 100% of Daewoo.
Holden certainly doesn't.
Old 2 May 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2453927)   #90
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was watching ch 10 late news the day that GM axed Pontiac and they did a report on jobs at Holden because of it and Holden saying it won't cost jobs but right at the end it said Holden believe they are capable of survival even if GM colapse. being a Holden fan i hope this is the case but i find it hard to believe.
Old 2 May 2009, 02:37 (Ref:2453952)   #91
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca has been held in scrutiny for further testing
FIAT are sniffing around Opel to try and get more European market share. If they acquire them and Chrysler it will make them the world's second largest auto manufacturer...maybe they have eyes on GMH as well...they seem cashed up at the moment.
Old 2 May 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2454001)   #92
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
FIAT are sniffing around Opel to try and get more European market share. If they acquire them and Chrysler it will make them the world's second largest auto manufacturer...maybe they have eyes on GMH as well...they seem cashed up at the moment.
All fiat has is RED ink - Fiat and Opel are in direct competition with each other in Europe so if Fiat did aquire Opel it would result in a major loss of jobs - the only manufacturer in the Fiat empire that is in the black is Ferrari . Fiat just reported a loss of $1bn on top of all it's borrowings.
Old 2 May 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2454014)   #93
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymacca View Post
Fiat are not 'acquiring' anyone. All they are doing are 'alliances' to share engineering, product platforms and sales outlets etc.

They are not putting any serious money into Chrysler (or Opel if it happens) - they haven't got the spare funds to do so. It's purely an alliance, not an acquisition or merger, whereby they will receive a percentage of the company in return for sharing their product & engineering etc.

In Chrysler's case that is a good deal as it gives them access to some good small-car engineering & technology. In Opel's case I can't see the purpose, apart from Fiat stealing some market share off them (as was pointed out above).
Old 2 May 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2454032)   #94
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Fiat are not 'acquiring' anyone. All they are doing are 'alliances' to share engineering, product platforms and sales outlets etc.

In Chrysler's case that is a good deal as it gives them access to some good small-car engineering & technology. In Opel's case I can't see the purpose, apart from Fiat stealing some market share off them (as was pointed out above).
Chrysler need major help - they just don't make anything that the public want and haven't for years - the PT has been axed a(Chrysler Neon with a different body) and sold at a loss - the Voyager (nice style) with agricultural handling and architecture - the 300 (with MB input) was smart quite a few years ago and is now dated and with no replacement in sight . Fiat has a poor reputation for flawed products world wide for many years , their vehicles were always exciting to drive but let down by extremely poor quality control , strange seating positions and built in body rust (includes Alfa Romeo) - If they do, do some sort of merger , I don't know who will be the winner out of it !!!!!
Old 2 May 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2454040)   #95
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
Fiat has a poor reputation for flawed products world wide for many years , their vehicles were always exciting to drive but let down by extremely poor quality control , strange seating positions and built in body rust (includes Alfa Romeo) - If they do, do some sort of merger , I don't know who will be the winner out of it !!!!!
Fiat HAD a poor reputation for quality etc. - but not in recent years. Those days are long gone. Their current cars are amongst the class best, which is why their sales and market-share have hugely increased of late.
Old 2 May 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2454041)   #96
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
Fiat has a poor reputation for flawed products world wide for many years , their vehicles were always exciting to drive but let down by extremely poor quality control , strange seating positions and built in body rust (includes Alfa Romeo) - If they do, do some sort of merger , I don't know who will be the winner out of it !!!!!
Fiat HAD a poor reputation for quality etc. - but not in recent years. Those days are gone. Their current cars are amongst the class best, which is why their sales and market-share and have hugely increased.

Edit: Oops - double-posted this!!
Old 12 May 2009, 00:13 (Ref:2460538)   #97
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the talk about Holden engaging 888 to run HRT could become less relevant at the moment, if this suggestion of the real possibility of General Motors putting Holden into bankruptcy turns out to be true:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell.../homepage/home

Or go direct to the article here:http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2575B3007B5C2A
Old 12 May 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2460756)   #98
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dongfeng or Chery for the Commode ..

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...4-2702,00.html

Scope for the spin doctor, tough on the knuckledraggers !!
Old 30 May 2009, 00:06 (Ref:2471924)   #99
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please don't shoot me for being slightly off topic, but I am sure many would be interested to see that this iconic Holden TV ad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Ic3RqPIJo

...is a takeoff of at Chevrolet advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rYXmWY9HY4

I think the Holden ad has a better ring to it though.

Holden may need to wheel this advert out again to restore confidence, assuming they survive in some form.
Old 30 May 2009, 00:34 (Ref:2471941)   #100
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Oh I think they'll survive. In what form? we'll find out soon.

This was one of my favorites and probably one of the best car commercials ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJf9Q...eature=related