Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Nov 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1765269)   #76
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bourdais move was straight out of PT's book of tricks, it was a shame that Wilson wasn't allowed to defend under the no block rules but in the end Seb's car was the fastest of the two. I wouldn't say the move had any class to it though, very clumsy for somebody rated so highly.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1765279)   #77
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm almost glad Sebastien passed Wilson...otherwise we'd have to hear him whine after the race at how Wilson was a blocker
Old 13 Nov 2006, 20:05 (Ref:1765281)   #78
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Gilles said is essentially what I thought of the end of the race, Luke. Legge's performance lasting about 100 yards to start with (and three laps down at the end) gave her a total of one race for the season that she finished on the lead lap. BETWEEN those two incidents, I liked most of it.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1765417)   #79
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Katherine showed more promise in her rookie season than Nelson Philippe show in his. Given the proper support she will win races.

As for the race, I was absolutley gutted to see Justin get passed on the last lap. He did a brilliant job all race long. If Sebastien Bourdais complains the next time Tracy hits him someone should show him the tape of that pass again.

Goodbye to Lola.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 04:09 (Ref:1765489)   #80
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What "promise?" Top 10 once at Long Beach and on the lead lap once (there) all season. Crashes. Running at the back. There were those before the season who said she was rushed into it as a counter to Danica Patrick and should've had another season of "seasoning" in Atlantic. IMO, they were right.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1765784)   #81
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great race,crappy blow out for Briscoe he was doing great.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 12:10 (Ref:1765849)   #82
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
What "promise?" Top 10 once at Long Beach and on the lead lap once (there) all season. Crashes. Running at the back. There were those before the season who said she was rushed into it as a counter to Danica Patrick and should've had another season of "seasoning" in Atlantic. IMO, they were right.

Many think she is better then Danica. This maybe the case. However she was not up to the standard at all of what people expected from her. Spun too many times, had too many incidents, and not enough good runs. Always in the back 12 in qualifying. But as I also said before, she did show some great potential at times for example when she was leading in her first oval race at Milwaukee. Strong contender for the top 5 at Road America before her horrific crash. As I also again said before, I think to see more from Kathrine would be 2007 and does have potential.
The answer is yes she may have been brought up a season too early, but lets not forget, that's irrelevnt as we saw how Danica did at times in her first IRL season, and Kathrine was a winner and did much more then what Danicar did in Atlantics.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1765891)   #83
indycool
Veteran

Luke, you can look up the records as easy as I can as to Danica's first season in the IRL and Katherine's first season in CC. There's no comparison.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1766011)   #84
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were a lot of mistakes on legges part, but hopefully she has learned from them and next year will be a good year.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1766049)   #85
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Well that was definitely the best race I've seen this season. Not just in ChampCar, but across the board.

Remarkably few incidents for such tricky driving conditions.

Usually you'd expect dry/wet races like that to be a safety-car fest.

Thought Seb's pass was great personally. He had to go for it didn't he? You just know PT, Zanardi, or any driver worth their salt would've done the same.
you have to think thought if bourdais and wilson where to swap around bourdais would probably moan and whine all day and call a protest
Old 14 Nov 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1766119)   #86
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Reading the obvious comparisons between D.Patrick and K.Legge I find it hard to judge with the relative lack of depth within both series. If we magically had just the one glorious American open wheeler series, I think that you would find both ladies occupying the same area of the grid. I am not going to commit to saying exactly where that would be for fear of upsetting the female memebers of the boards!
They are both ballsy drivers and have each shown their commitment to their respective careers, with Danica next year she will be expected to deliver. I think that Katherine can get away with another half year before showing us her best.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1766130)   #87
indycool
Veteran

As I said before, Gilles, KL finished one race on the lead lap in '06. It will be a lot easier to improve on that than go backward, IMO.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1766138)   #88
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
As I said before, Gilles, KL finished one race on the lead lap in '06. It will be a lot easier to improve on that than go backward, IMO.
Yeah doesn't look too good when you look at it that way does it! She still pulled off the single most exciting moment of the year though and was as cool as anything afterwards!

Danica's highlight was her foot stomping dance routine

Sorry Danica fans.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1766174)   #89
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving an IRL car on ovals, is much easer and requires a lot less driver finesse then a turbo charged higher HP champ car on streets and road courses.

Bourdais made a gutsy and a great pass, borderline, but great. All the knowledgeable people have praised it. The complainers seem to be the same ones who complain about "not enough passing" among other things. Wilson on the other hand was gracious, no name calling, no excuses, really seem to have enjoyed a great battle with another great driver. Thats class folks.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1766198)   #90
indycool
Veteran

Sorry, norman.....not getting into the nonsense today about oval driving vs. road course driving.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1766200)   #91
norman-normal
Veteran

Indy, you haven't let your lack of experience hold you back before, that I'm aware of.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1766211)   #92
indycool
Veteran

Been there, done that here many times. No need to do it again but I'll give you the short form. Different forms of racing require different skills, no more or no less. Put Michael Schumacher against Steve Kinser in a sprint car at Eldora and see what happens.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1766243)   #93
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman-normal
Driving an IRL car on ovals, is much easer and requires a lot less driver finesse then a turbo charged higher HP champ car on streets and road courses.

Bourdais made a gutsy and a great pass, borderline, but great. All the knowledgeable people have praised it. The complainers seem to be the same ones who complain about "not enough passing" among other things. Wilson on the other hand was gracious, no name calling, no excuses, really seem to have enjoyed a great battle with another great driver. Thats class folks.
Sorry norman but the complainers normally feature one Sebastian Bourdais on these 'borderline' moves. It was straight from the kart track/ NASCAR oval in my opinion and lacked class.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1766304)   #94
norman-normal
Veteran

Not always Gilles, in F1 it was a certain German fellow. It seems that a lot of very vocal posters seem to develop a hatred for consistent winners. Also PT misses one race and every thing is forgiven?????

Indy, of course they require different skills but, tracks that have only one kind of turn require fewer skills then an endless verity of turns, both left and right.
Then there is the cars, a turbo charged car, with no traction control, is Far more difficult to control than a naturally aspirated car even without the extra HP. That is the reason so many CC Rookies destroy so many cars. Thats the idea behind a feeder series: Start out with less, powerful naturally aspirated, cars and work your way up. The position you have taken is indefensible.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 23:29 (Ref:1766313)   #95
indycool
Veteran

norman, it is NOT indefensible. We've done this before. Again, put Michael Schumacher in a sprinter against Steve Kinser at Eldora and what would happen? The way you make it sound, Montoya oughta have three Busch wins right now. Your position as a road-racing fan is not uncommon. You think road racing is more significant than every other form of racing. To each his own. But you won't sell it to me, or sprint car fans, or oval fans, or drag racing fans, or stock-car fans.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 00:27 (Ref:1766331)   #96
D70s
Rookie

Canada
Vancouver
D70s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing how I defend Katherine and it turns into a urination contest on ovals vs road courses. Since it's a thread about the Mexico City race I will say that after the accident (a racing accident in my opinion) Kath was laping at the same pace as the guys right in front of her. When the track got wet she lapped as fast as the leaders. Obviously there is potential there. Her driving style reminds me of PT. And we all know how many cars he's wrecked. Give her time.

And I agree with Robin Miller. Justin Wilson is the man.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 05:31 (Ref:1766414)   #97
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Luke, you can look up the records as easy as I can as to Danica's first season in the IRL and Katherine's first season in CC. There's no comparison.
While both race into separate and different championships there is no room for comparison.

On topic, awesome race. Really enjoyed it. Passing and tough battles all over the track. 60 continous green laps, thankyou
Old 15 Nov 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1766962)   #98
norman-normal
Veteran

Indy, this is a Champ car forum, we don't race ovals.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 17:37 (Ref:1767021)   #99
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't mean to say that we shouldn't.

Oh how short peoples memories are! When CART was racing on road AND oval courses then ovals were all fine and dandy but now because the 2 series have split the racing is of poor quality and the drivers have no skill? What rubbish! The same goes for Indy fans who blast Champcars. You're only showing that you have already forgotten the glory days that you like to lecture us about so much. I wish that the 2 series would reunite just so that stupid arguments like this would stop!

Back on topic it was a good race. Shame for Justin that he couldn't hold on for that one more lap but that's racing!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 17 Nov 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1768611)   #100
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent race! The quality of the driving in the changing conditions was first rate IMO. I was really hoping Wilson was going to win that one. While Bourdais move was extremely aggressive I really can't find fault in it. I watched it over and over again and Wilson gave him the opening and then tried, IMO, too late to close it. The contact was hard but not earth shattering as some are want to make it out to be.
In the end whether he was right or wrong is irrelevent as this is just a race meant for our entertainment and damn was it entertaining
Too bad the Forsythe team lost both of it's drivers for this event. They were clearly behind the eight ball and it showed.
That was a great year of racing! I am really looking forward to 2007.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"