Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2002, 13:45 (Ref:339646)   #76
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
JPM in a Ferrari ? After 2004 ?

Only if Sir Williams is crazy...
Old 22 Jul 2002, 14:09 (Ref:339669)   #77
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To get back on topic.

In order not to pass Kimi whilst he was off the track Mickey would have had to virtually stop. The point being that the Macaroon was off the track and should wait until it is safe to return.

There is an argument therefore which says that Kimi was wrong to try to get back on the tarmac before it was completely clear to do so.

Still, it was a shame he didn't win and congrats must go to Mickey for what can only be described as a virtuoso performance this year. He'd have won it even if Austria hadn't happened.

So in answer to the thread. He certainly DID deserve it.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 14:22 (Ref:339682)   #78
SolemHill
Rookie

SolemHill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or then again we could say well done Kimi on
A) driving a damn fine race
B) going balls out to get back on the black stuff in front of TGF after a brief visit to the run off area........

Ok so he nearly took TGF with him when trying to regain his lost position, but he is a racing driver.

And before anybody corrects me on the lost position thing - He lost it - in the run off area....thats what happens when you leave the track, it's up to you to rejoin and fight for your position not for the other driver to park it up and wait for you to straighten yourself out - even under static or waved yellows....
Old 22 Jul 2002, 14:26 (Ref:339683)   #79
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by SolemHill
or then again we could say well done Kimi on
A) driving a damn fine race
B) going balls out to get back on the black stuff in front of TGF after a brief visit to the run off area........

Ok so he nearly took TGF with him when trying to regain his lost position, but he is a racing driver.

And before anybody corrects me on the lost position thing - He lost it - in the run off area....thats what happens when you leave the track, it's up to you to rejoin and fight for your position not for the other driver to park it up and wait for you to straighten yourself out - even under static or waved yellows....
Yeah, that was my point.

Well done Kimi.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 14:31 (Ref:339685)   #80
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back on topic! An amusing idea

I agree, he clearly deserved it. There was nothing wrong with him overtaking in the circumstances that he did (IMO).

A great race from Michael and I'm glad he won especially after having the lead taken away with his penalty (he did break the rule, but I feel it is a silly rule). Kimi also had a great race as did all the top six. Truly a race with great drivers in it. Good to watch. Both McLaren's
had the race pace to be the best of the rest. The Williams drivers did well to stay in it for so long. And a great drive from Button to nab a point and coping with what could have been a difficult race.

Michael clearly deserves this year's title. Although at some points he has had the luck (most of his competitors cars are slow and unreliable!). Perhaps not a classic year for the championship, but there has been some good races (and racers). And it's not over!

Now we have some non-championship races to enjoy. Can McLaren keep improving? Can Williams make there car race worthy? Will Rubens get of the grid?

I can't wait, only a few days to go.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 14:35 (Ref:339689)   #81
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Back off topic (sorry Peter and Adam ), just for a second to answer Bononi... What else will Ferrari do with that $50 million burning a hole in their pockets when TGF retires?
Old 22 Jul 2002, 17:03 (Ref:339809)   #82
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Still back off topic : I can tell them what to do with it, if they ask me...

*back on topic mode switched*
Old 22 Jul 2002, 18:31 (Ref:339886)   #83
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
We need a clip. ... If I'm wrong, and Kimi had all four wheels over the line the entire time of the pass, I'll admit it. If not, I'm right. ... But I've just watched the replay frame by frame, and when Schumacher was dead even with Kimi, the Finn's car was totally in-bounds...
As promised, Lee, here's a picture of the point at which I think Schumacher nosed in front (drawing an imaginary line straight across the track to compensate for the camera angle). Kimi has all four wheels on the wrong side of the line. 5 frames later (1/6th of a second), Schumacher is well in front even without compensating for the camera angle, and Kimi has only the front right wheel across the line. However, as I said before, Kimi had gone off the track, and it was his responsibility to re-enter safely -- no matter how many wheels got back over the line.

Sorry to beat a dead horse.
Attached Thumbnails
ms kr pass.jpg  

Last edited by eatapc; 22 Jul 2002 at 18:36.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 18:46 (Ref:339892)   #84
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the conclusive evidence eatapc.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 22 Jul 2002 at 18:47.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 18:55 (Ref:339905)   #85
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's good enough for me.

(I've been staying out of this because I didn't watch the GP - I was at trackside listening to the radio broadcast, and watching someone race a car that competed in the 1908 French Grand Prix....)
Old 23 Jul 2002, 01:23 (Ref:340246)   #86
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last edited by Jukebox; 23 Jul 2002 at 01:24.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 01:24 (Ref:340247)   #87
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

Don't agree, without the presence of a waved "oil" flag i believe any driver would have slid on the oil, after all, if the marshalls can't see the oil on the track whilst they're stationary and right beside it how can a driver, irrespective of experience, travelling at 190mph be expected to see it?

The World Champion even said that anybody would have been caught out, including himself, it was just that he was forewarned and took a different line.
You know, what i really don't get is how the tv producer in france didn't get the captions of DNFs. There certainly are nearly a dozen of them and we only get to see a few. What happened to the Toyota?

Did the engine blew up? If it did where and when?

Kimi locked his wheels because of over braking. I reckon he panicked when cautioned by his team in the pits as he was very fast at that time. If he braked where the oil was, he definitely would had spun but he didn't. He panicked. There's the difference when you don't have enough experience and DC for one has heaps of em.

The world champion was obviously being diplomatic over what had happened as he always does...defending others
Old 23 Jul 2002, 02:39 (Ref:340268)   #88
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox

You know, what i really don't get is how the tv producer in france didn't get the captions of DNFs. There certainly are nearly a dozen of them and we only get to see a few. What happened to the Toyota?

Did the engine blew up? If it did where and when?
McNish's car expired going into the Adelaide hairpin. If you are able to watch a replay of the incident you can clearly see McNish's car sitting at the outside of the corner. Ironically on a Toyota logo. Also you can see Kimi's car get rather unstable when it hit's the oil and then he locks it up, causing him to not only run wide but also nearly collecting McNish's car in the process. In addition to this the world feed as broadcast by SPEEDchannel shows a close-up of the back of McNish's car as it sat imobile and it is clearly leaking oil.
As for the teams warning the drivers of McNish's car, well as far as I am aware that is false. Please provide proof!
In an earlier post I provided a quote from Michael from the post-race press conference, and he never said that the team warned him.
Kimi got caught out simple as that, Michael was far enough behind him to react accordingly and was able to capitalize on the situation.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 Jul 2002, 03:04 (Ref:340271)   #89
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
I thank you enemy-ace of the detailed synopsis. Clearly now it's all about luck and it seems that Kimi didn't have one that day. If it's true that the team in the pit didn't warn KImi then the blame should be put to them as to not warn in advance and the win could had been his.
Old 23 Jul 2002, 13:33 (Ref:340688)   #90
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What can I say??? I sat in a bar in Crete, the adrenalin going through my body like NEVER before - to give you some idea, I was more on edge than when Mark was on his way to the points on Oz... when Kimi locked those brakes... my heart sank through the floor. Oh. My. God.

Kimi drove his best race yet, and all credit to him for that. Whilst a win would have sent me LOOPY for about six months, after that performance, it's going to happen soon. He made a mistake, sure, but doesn't everyone? Imagine if you were four laps from your first F1 win? You've actually *beaten* Schumacher... Well, he didn't, and it wasn't to be, but I was SO proud of my boy. Wicked.