Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jun 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1331858)   #76
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, say what you want about the Indy circuit, but it proves year after year to give F1 drivers fits.

I just watched the 2 Friday practise sessions and almost all of the top drivers went off the course at least once. It seems to happen every year, for some reason.

Should prove to be another memorable race!

Danica Patrick
Old 17 Jun 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1331876)   #77
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I agree GP Racer.

I remember old Nige saying that he always use dto take his family for a bugger at somewhere like McDonald's as no one knew who he was.
Hope he had Fries with that...
Old 17 Jun 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1331879)   #78
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=Rennen]Some drivers opinions of the Indy GP circuit from the Official F1 web site...

JV..."300kph on the corner (banked turn) it doesn't feel like a corner at all" "340kph on the Straight"

Massa..."The Banking is easy flat, no problem. It isn't a corner at all in an F1 car!" (No G force sensation I'd guess?)

Kimi..."1.7km flat out" (longest in F1)

Klien...(or as Maurice Hamilton calls him "Cleaner") "It's not the most exciting in the championship!" "flat for 20 seconds, infield is very slow...there arn't any corners that stick out in my mind" (No Eau Rouge then CK?)

Button..."The Brickyard is a very slow circuit...I prefer fast flowing circuits"

Webber..."The layout of the circuit isn't the most demanding by any means"

QUOTE]

Late Addition...
Ralf said..."Oh Burgers!" Not again
Old 18 Jun 2005, 02:19 (Ref:1331952)   #79
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer

One of the problems with F1 growing here, has been the lack of a permanent home for the USGP. You can't keep moving it all over this country - it's a big place! - and expect to grow a loyal audience. This will be my third time there, and my small group of F1 fanatics that makes the trip has grown from two guys, to 6 this year, and other friends are showing interest. Move it from Indy, and I'm not sure we would want to start all over again at a new venue and do the trip.

The other big problem with F1's lack of growth here, has been the complete and total lack of any promotion! If this market is so important as Bernie say's it is, than why can't Michael Schumacher do a 2 week promotional blitz of the states? Do the big talk shows, visit NYC, and LA, take in an IndyCar or NASCAR race, and really expose the sport to Americans. David Beckham does that from time-to-time, and it has been a huge success for soccer here.

Cmon Michael, your sport needs you!

You are right on the money, I could not agree with you more. Something along the same lines as what you are saying I would like to see some of the Fomula 1 drivers at Nascar events, I know this sounds a bit nutso, but wait a moment. You could have them doing some demonstration runs, interviews, phone in interviews with Larry King I don't care anything, getting to meet the fans of another series I think is a good a idea. Dale E hanging out with MS, MWebber, NickH, etc etc This is showbiz so go ahead and promote the hell out of it. Maybe a second race event in Las Vagas is not a bad idea. Make a weekend of two very different racing events at the same circuit?

I know that a lot of you are going to read this and say I have lost my mind, well that aside it is all food for thought is it not? GP racer should take the credit I think he hit the nail on the head.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 02:44 (Ref:1331957)   #80
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only Watkins Glen were safer. That place is amazing.

Imagine a McLaren, Ferrari or Williams coming up through the esses. Precious.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1332371)   #81
David McManus
Racer

David McManus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading an F1 encyclopaedia, I discovered that one year (possily twice) the Italian Grand Prix at Monza was held on a combination of the road course and oval. Drivers would lap the road course, come back on to the main straight leading into the oval, then come out of the last turn back onto the road course. One lap of each constituted a single lap!

Would it be possible to do something similar at Indy?
Old 18 Jun 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1332420)   #82
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp2685
If only Watkins Glen were safer. That place is amazing.

Imagine a McLaren, Ferrari or Williams coming up through the esses. Precious.
It's safe now the IRL will race there in the Autum.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1332432)   #83
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IndyCar/ChampCar have raced on many circuits F1 wouldn't consider safe - ie Laguna Seca, Elkhart Lake etc etc
Old 18 Jun 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1332441)   #84
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No it still applies to F1, both Champ Car and F1 are open wheel championships and are around about the same pace (a few seconds).
Old 18 Jun 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1332442)   #85
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
... it proves year after year to give F1 drivers fits.
Right. It's funny that drivers, particularly young ones, complain that the circuit is too easy, but clearly it stresses both car and driver.

On the other hand, Indy has the potential to be much better if they could only get rid of that crappy golf course and put a little more tarmac in its place. Too many tight, low-speed turns in the infield. Even keeping the golf, they could get rid of the infield parking and make more room for a bigger track.
Old 18 Jun 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1332443)   #86
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Anyway for those that are not fans of Indy, there's speclation that the race could gpo to Vegas, but that's an option.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1332681)   #87
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I enjoy the race, but for the Americans, they can't be 100% impressed with F1 cars compared to Indy Cars, because the in-field is TOO slow, the corners are rediculously clumsy for minimal steering lock f1 cars, and it makes them look slowwwwwwwwwwww.
I think they should have designed it with a hairpin, a chicane, and the rest medium to high speed corners, i know, its a small space to tuck a circuit into, but there must have been a way to do it.....
Old 19 Jun 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1332704)   #88
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatapc
...that crappy golf course...
Yeah, what's that all about
Old 19 Jun 2005, 11:46 (Ref:1332799)   #89
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is fantastic!
It provides one of the few unique challenges amongst Tilke designed circuits that seem built to the cars rather than requiring the cars be made to run the track they are racing on.

Part of the uniqueness is a 22 second full throttle section (banking aside).
Some would argue that the turn 8 - 12 section is "Mickey Mouse", but there have been some interesting side-side incidents there.

It is a great track and a great venue, steeped in motorsport history that provides a challenge like no other - keep it.