Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Nov 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1757732)   #76
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too agreed that the event wsa fantastic & it probably showed plenty of potential, but if it wasn't for the short sightedness of the government.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 00:13 (Ref:1757982)   #77
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffy
I too agreed that the event wsa fantastic & it probably showed plenty of potential, but if it wasn't for the short sightedness of the government.
We got short changed that night in Adelaide

It was supposed to be a six hour race as i recall and it finished early!!

Mind you, the Audis had killed the race by then!!

Mike
Old 5 Nov 2006, 09:14 (Ref:1758136)   #78
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Not 2007, 2009 at least that's the plan, the full interview with Terry Little is available at feed://feed.feedbuner.com/inpitlane
It is in that the 2007 series will be run to GT3 speed. Any cars for example the Viper or 360GT are paritied to a GT3 speed. The quicker this stops and full GT3 regs are adopted the better, as you say this will be in 09.

The AGP could be used as an incentive to entice Aus GT runners to make the move to a GT3 car instead of waiting till 09. The benefits being the added exposure and not having the worry of parity lingering over your head.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1758139)   #79
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see the need to delay it til 2009. Just make the decision to start GT3 in 2008, there will be enough eligible cars around by then.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1758880)   #80
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any news if the races are going to be telecast on TEN?

would be a waste to travel over here and not televise it
Old 6 Nov 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1758885)   #81
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As the main support for the AGP you imagine that TEN would show the races. With the v8 noose it should also mean we can get to the F3 races and other supports shown which should add to the excitement.

I am not sure I would call it a waste without tv, Ratel gets the new championship on an international bill for the first GP of the year. Thats a pretty big deal
Old 6 Nov 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1758918)   #82
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
hardly surprising you thought it "bad rubbish" if it doesn't interest you! For people who were interested in Sports Cars, the event was great - just a shame the BMWs pulled out, and Toyota had closed down their sportscar program for F1. The potential was there.

If you like "motor racing" I would suggest one day to make the trip to Le Mans - I used to think Bathurst was big!!
I agree Rick. I went to Le Mans in 2000 and it makes Bathurst look like a Teddy Bears picnic. Will never forget watching a Lamborghini Contach drag racing a Clubman through the Camping ground. Loved every moment of it.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1759055)   #83
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort
I agree Rick. I went to Le Mans in 2000 and it makes Bathurst look like a Teddy Bears picnic. Will never forget watching a Lamborghini Contach drag racing a Clubman through the Camping ground. Loved every moment of it.
Yeah, been twice now and nothing in Australia comes even close. US Journalist Gordon Kirby once said that nobody could call thenselves a true auto racing fan until they had been to Le Mans. Having been there I now know what he means. By comparrison Bathurst is a clubbie, and not a particularly good one at that.
As for the Adelaide event, no matter how many turned up, it still remains as far and away the best organised, most professional race meeting that I've attended in Australia in over 30 years and yes that does include the Grand Prix. VESCA have raised the bar big time but there's still a long, long way to go before they can come close to Le Mans standards.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 00:57 (Ref:1759562)   #84
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
US Journalist Gordon Kirby once said that nobody could call thenselves a true auto racing fan until they had been to Le Mans. Having been there I now know what he means.
Well what an incredibly elitist and arrogant thing to say. Not all of us are able to get to Le Mans. I wonder if Mr Kirby paid for the trip himself? I wonder how many state level motorsport events he attends?

Last edited by RotorFan; 7 Nov 2006 at 00:59.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 01:02 (Ref:1759564)   #85
bazil
Veteran

bazil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Well what an incredibly elitist and arrogant thing to say. Not all of us are able to get to Le Mans. I wonder if Mr Kirby paid for the trip himself? I wonder how many state level motorsport events he attends?
Old 7 Nov 2006, 01:20 (Ref:1759570)   #86
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I for one was spewing when the Sports car event was canned, I thought it was a fantastic event. And to say the government had no interest in running the event is garbage. Mr Olsen raved about the success of the event and even announced a 20 Million Dolllar face lift/rebuilding of Victoria Park (this would have changed the track layout to run along the Victori Park stands) about a week after the event. (I still have the front page of the advertiser to prove it) About 2 weeks after that he said he was canning the event. I think some powerful people got in mister Olsen ear and had the event scrapped.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 01:47 (Ref:1759598)   #87
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
So, can anyone tell me if the Procar series Monaro's qualify to run in the GT3 class??

Would certainly put some local interest in the event.
No, they aren't eleigible for anything except (maybe) Sports Sedans.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 02:16 (Ref:1759605)   #88
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
So what will Mr Sherrin do with his newly-acquired Carrera Cup category? Will it remain a stand alone, or try and work in with the new GT3 class as you describe?
Mr Sherrin will remain stand alone (he has to) and is busily preparing the defences at present to make sure that GT3 does not work down here.

He already won the first battle over the V8 support card, didn't he?
Old 7 Nov 2006, 02:18 (Ref:1759606)   #89
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
No, he's right. If you can't get their then you'd at least have to be prepared to give your left one to do so!
Old 7 Nov 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1759627)   #90
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well thats like saying you're not a Christian unless you've been to Bethlahem or whatever (I'm not religious).

GT3 is just a category name, it doesn't necessarily have a link to Porsche GT3's. Its the third tier after GT1 and GT2.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 03:46 (Ref:1759629)   #91
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
A bit like Ferrari just being a brand name, right? You old cynic, you.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 04:59 (Ref:1759639)   #92
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
GT3 is just a category name, it doesn't necessarily have a link to Porsche GT3's. Its the third tier after GT1 and GT2.
It does when the FIA says that a Porsche 997 GT3 Cup Car is eligible for the class worldwide, yet the local FIA body in Australia won't let them race locally.

What happens when a brace of European-based 997 Porsche's turn up at next years AGP GT3 race?

What happens if for example a European-based team running a 997 Porsche in GT3 wants to enter the Sandown Australian GT enduro, then gets told although the race is run to GT3 rules, your eligible GT3 car (according to the FIA) is not eligible to compete......
Old 7 Nov 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1759670)   #93
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Now that would be funny. I can imagine the back flipping already.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1759675)   #94
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Gordon Kirby is elitist, so the statement is not surprising.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 07:04 (Ref:1761351)   #95
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well thats like saying you're not a Christian unless you've been to Bethlahem or whatever (I'm not religious).
Well actually, every Muslim is expected to travel to Mecca once in their life.

Not quite so OT, does anyone know what the other supports are? Have they been announced yet? I'd love to see Historic Touring Cars get another invite, i'd be there with bells on.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 07:14 (Ref:1761356)   #96
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
No, they aren't eleigible for anything except (maybe) Sports Sedans.
(RE Monaro's
Not with those motors

GO TO LEMANS IF YOU CAN!

David, I don't think so, they haven't had the full launch yet
Old 9 Nov 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1761541)   #97
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that the GT3 cars might not be the only imported support category at the AGP in 07..........

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17733.html

Would be great to combine their 15 cars with our 15 and have a full field.

Anyone heard anything else about this? It was certainly a suprise to me when I saw it.......
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 9 Nov 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1761894)   #98
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XR8
It seems that the GT3 cars might not be the only imported support category at the AGP in 07..........

Anyone heard anything else about this? It was certainly a suprise to me when I saw it.......
Big Red's clutching at straws to make up a worthwhile 3 day program!!!!

Or is it 4 days lately?

The punters are getting less track time in recent years with the F1

Mike
Old 9 Nov 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1762034)   #99
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The Grand Prix Corp is "inviting" several V8 drivers to drive in the event. Just how VESCA and the teams will react will be the big problem.
Interesting thought there IPL and if VESA try to prevent the V8 drivers earning their living by driving race cars on a weekend that doesn't clash with their series I'm sure the ACCC will fish out their Restraint of Trade statute books to see what could be done about it
Old 10 Nov 2006, 00:42 (Ref:1762191)   #100
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XR8

I agree, it would be great to see the Asian F3 cars added to our field, it would certainly make the races a lot more interesting/watchable.