Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3051761)   #76
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
You're welcome to give up 18 hours of you day, and about 30 weekends of your year to volenteering at your own expense to give us all a hand if you like!

But I agree not the smartest bit of marshalling I've seen, I did cringe quite a bit!
No thanks....spent enough of my weekends serving with the TA for 14 years, nice to have the extra time now I've stopped....and if you want to talk about 18 hours of your day try that...not sat on a bank watching motorsport...
Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3051762)   #77
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
Was Plato moaning about the race 1 "incident"? (by incident, I mean assault). How the hell can he blame Newsham when Plato had his whole car in the pitlane entrance and most of it on the grass?

I'd take one Owy over a dozen Platos.

Basically, it's Plato-speak, meaning, get off line and let me through or I barge my way through.
Fast but no class, well suited to panel-bashing categories.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3051764)   #78
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
No thanks....spent enough of my weekends serving with the TA for 14 years, nice to have the extra time now I've stopped....and if you want to talk about 18 hours of your day try that...not sat on a bank watching motorsport...
I don't sit on the bank watching Motorsport, i give up my time volenteering for the sport I love....full respect for people being in the army, but you wouldn't like full time army guys slagging off the TA when you put in so much time and effort, just like I don't like people slagging off marshals when they give up their time for free, if you think you can do a better job, sign up and do it instead of sitting in front of a computer moaning
Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3051766)   #79
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great performance of the BMW's so far, although they seem to drop back in race 2. Impressive performance by Plato in the MG, too. Race 2 was very entertaining
Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3051767)   #80
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said ascarracingUK. This is from the former Turn 1 Observer at Rockingham for ASCAR and a former soldier. In that recovery it also looked like the rear towing point failed as well. if this is true then the team has to take some of the blame. If they put on decent towing points that can actually do the job, rather than loops of canvas.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3051769)   #81
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
I don't sit on the bank watching Motorsport, i give up my time volenteering for the sport I love....full respect for people being in the army, but you wouldn't like full time army guys slagging off the TA when you put in so much time and effort, just like I don't like people slagging off marshals when they give up their time for free, if you think you can do a better job, sign up and do it instead of sitting in front of a computer moaning
Regular Army folk do spend plenty of time slagging the TA off, even when I served in Iraq with them in 2003/2004....

If you re-read my post I was criticising what I believe was a poor recovery job, where more damage was inflicted on the car (which the driver will most likely have to foot the bill for). I refer to them as fools, as I feel it was foolish to try to pull it forwards when the better option was to pull it backwards. Even you state you had to cringe a bit.

Why do you marshals always have to be so defensive, even in the face of the indefensible? As a soldier I had no problem with soldiers being criticised when it was due...even when it was levelled at me...sometimes you just have to accept you could have, or should have done better. I would suggest you try not to be so sensitive to it...it's all part of the learning experience
Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3051771)   #82
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal View Post
Well said ascarracingUK. This is from the former Turn 1 Observer at Rockingham for ASCAR and a former soldier. In that recovery it also looked like the rear towing point failed as well. if this is true then the team has to take some of the blame. If they put on decent towing points that can actually do the job, rather than loops of canvas.
It looked more like the towing strap itself snapped, as a result of being pulled too sharply by the JCB...watch it again

Still I say that backwards was the better option -had they chosen that first they might not have hurried so much when eventually trying to pull it backwards, leading to the snapped strap
Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3051774)   #83
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
It looked more like the towing strap itself snapped, as a result of being pulled too sharply by the JCB...watch it again

Still I say that backwards was the better option -had they chosen that first they might not have hurried so much when eventually trying to pull it backwards, leading to the snapped strap
I fully agree with you it was bad marshalling, but calling them fools is a bit out of order. The towing straps are very fragile, ive had numerous break on me over the years because they're designed to be towed on Tarmac not in the gravel
Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3051775)   #84
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
Was Plato moaning about the race 1 "incident"? (by incident, I mean assault). How the hell can he blame Newsham when Plato had his whole car in the pitlane entrance and most of it on the grass?

I'd take one Owy over a dozen Platos.
Yes, JP basically said it wasn't his fault, if there was a gap he'd go for it, and Newsham should have moved over and allowed him by.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 15:33 (Ref:3051777)   #85
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I did say the rear towing point. I have seen plenty of canvas towing points snap at the slightest strain being put on them. They are not up to the job. I know for a fact that the strops used by the JCB's at Brands for recovery were brand new at the beginning of the year and were used with no problems on Friday. The recovery crew probably had Race Control on at them on the radio telling them to hurry up because of the TV. It is dangerous to get inbetween the JCB and the car being recovered in case the strop snaps. if that happen then you could have an injured marshal. So they couldn't clear the gravel from the splitter as it was being towed out for that reason. If Race Control are on your back yelling at you to get a move on what are you supposed to do?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3051795)   #86
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
jhh911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Instead of complaining about marshals doing a very difficult and dangerous job under intense pressure(without these unsung heroes we would have no racing)How about having a moan about the appaling driving standards displayed this afternoon which have resulted in more shunts than I have ever seen in one day.They cant even get down the straights without driving in to each other,If they stayed on the black bit instead of racing to the nearest gravel trap then the marshals might at least have a chance to get their breath back before the next over hyped idiot flew off.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3051798)   #87
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhh911 View Post
Instead of complaining about marshals doing a very difficult and dangerous job under intense pressure(without these unsung heroes we would have no racing)How about having a moan about the appaling driving standards displayed this afternoon which have resulted in more shunts than I have ever seen in one day.They cant even get down the straights without driving in to each other,If they stayed on the black bit instead of racing to the nearest gravel trap then the marshals might at least have a chance to get their breath back before the next over hyped idiot flew off.
Yes...the driving standards have been pretty poor today, but it still doesn't distract from the poor recovery I initially posted about....
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3051799)   #88
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Is National Car Parks opening up a branch at Druids?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:26 (Ref:3051802)   #89
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow. BTCC has more overtaking, more fun and even more oil than WTCC which is a complete boredom.
PS MG's livery is too similar to Eurotech Hondas.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:28 (Ref:3051803)   #90
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Yes...the driving standards have been pretty poor today, but it still doesn't distract from the poor recovery I initially posted about....
Now would you have dragged Morgan's car backwards or forwards.....you now see its not that easy as dragging it backwards can do a lot of damage too!

Feel really sorry for the guys involved in the accident, let's hope there isn't too much damage

However I agree with the above comments, the driving standards are appalling, if they didn't spin/crash there would be no need for bad recovery.......
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3051805)   #91
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think that was caused by oil and once again a Brands Hatch race gets red flagged, want is the curfew time please?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:31 (Ref:3051808)   #92
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
i think that was caused by oil and once again a Brands Hatch race gets red flagged, want is the curfew time please?
6:30 so plenty of time
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3051809)   #93
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Will ITV stay with it, though?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:38 (Ref:3051812)   #94
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Yes
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3051813)   #95
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think last time we had one of theses it was at Donington Park and ITV stayed to the end (I wished I prediected a upside down car again as that happened again today)
Old 1 Apr 2012, 16:41 (Ref:3051814)   #96
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I'd be very surprised if they didn't the channel it's on (ITV4) mainly shows either old programs or what I'd call B class sports events (Europa League, BTCC, Indian cricket etc) so this being one of the highlights of the channel makes them cutting it very unlikely.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 17:21 (Ref:3051842)   #97
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Great Battle between Plato and Jordan there... not quite sure about all the nudging but quite entertaining, nevertheless.

Think about Plato what you will, but I am really beginning to like the MG. I was wondering what car it reminded me of all day, just figured it out - from the side it looks a LOT like the TVR-Tuscan GT2 from 7 or 8 years ago.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 17:51 (Ref:3051851)   #98
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The MG looks very stock-car like, especially when it spits flames!
Old 1 Apr 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3051855)   #99
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good grief Toby Moody is hard to take...

Can we have Ben Edwards back for the weekends where there's no clash with F1 please?
Old 1 Apr 2012, 18:18 (Ref:3051859)   #100
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Toby was excellent. ''You spin me right round baby!''

Tim Harvey didn't appear to be firing on all cylinders this weekend..