Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:24 (Ref:2780103)   #76
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well we can be certain the McLaren won't be helping anyone to a WDC. It is not a great car.

For me I just can't look past Alonso. Red Bull couldn't hammer home the advantage when they had by far the best car and illegal arodynamics, now that the Ferrari is nearly on par they are in trouble.

I don't really want Fernando to win it, but...
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2780109)   #77
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Illegal aero? I still think Webber is a strong chance. With RBR still having a speed advantage they are most likely to get the thing on the front row and both drivers are so close to one another that they can make it hard for Alonso to do better then 3rd.

Question is will RBR make it easy for Alonso to make his 11 point lead last by not talking about what is best for the team. Its strange, Horner is forever talking about how the drivers know they drive for the team and know whats best, but that doesnt translate to pulling together to be the first team other then Ferrari, Renault or McLaren to win a WDC in how long, 13 years?
Old 25 Oct 2010, 09:35 (Ref:2780112)   #78
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Red Bull should have both titles in the bag by now. Unfortunately, reliability and mistakes from their two drivers have let them down.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2780169)   #79
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It will be a shame if they lose it. I hope they don't, they deserve it.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2780209)   #80
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, Webber has now lost the WDC. His only advantage was that he was leading the points, and all he had to do was finish high in the points. It didn't matter if Vettel was quicker in qualy, or if Alonso won races.

Now, Webber is behind in the points, and will most likely still be outqualified by Vettel, so he will not make up points there.

Alonso is racing so well that he will finish on the podium for the the last races anyway.

And the engine advantage? Webber puts a new one in and crashes - what damage will that have done to the drivetrain and engine?

Two horse race now between Vettel and Alonso.

Last edited by Splatz the Cow; 25 Oct 2010 at 12:32. Reason: Fixing my Granma
Old 25 Oct 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2780218)   #81
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
There are 2 drivers who have it all in their own hands:

Alonso is champ when he wins both races regardless of what the the others do, but the same is true for Webber.

There are too many variables for all others.

I still think it's between Webber and Alonso.

Even if Red Bull don't want to push Vettel in a supporting role, they should be very aware of all the possible scenarios, and act smartly.

Last edited by gert; 25 Oct 2010 at 13:10.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2780243)   #82
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its probably just one of those tricks memory plays on you, but i remember 2005 and 06 being all about Alonso just sitting back and waiting for the championships come to him.

Webber spins, Vettel's engine (Renault) goes blammo, and Hamilton goes wide and Alonso cruises to the victory...its all just too familiar. while the other guys all think of this as something they need to chase, Alonso knows from experience that it will come back to him.

the only hope i have is that the racing gods and that Ferrari engine which so dramatically let Schumi down in Japan 2006 lets Alfonso down at some point during the last 2 races.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 16:10 (Ref:2780282)   #83
BMW_F1
Rookie

United States
New York City
BMW_F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
its probably just one of those tricks memory plays on you, but i remember 2005 and 06 being all about Alonso just sitting back and waiting for the championships come to him.

Webber spins, Vettel's engine (Renault) goes blammo, and Hamilton goes wide and Alonso cruises to the victory...its all just too familiar. while the other guys all think of this as something they need to chase, Alonso knows from experience that it will come back to him.

the only hope i have is that the racing gods and that Ferrari engine which so dramatically let Schumi down in Japan 2006 lets Alfonso down at some point during the last 2 races.
So let’s see. In 05, the Mclaren was crap in the first 4 races and The Renault was unbeatable. – This is mclaren’s problem and has nothing to do with Alonso. As a result he was able to build a huge gap with 3 wins and a 3rd..After that point, Mclaren introduced a rocket ship that was by far the fastest car on track at the expense of reliability (Newey’s car after all) .. After Brazil when Alonso clinched the title, Renault decided to add more power to their engines to be able to challenge the Mclaren for wins in the last two races of the season, jeopardizing reliability, since they had nothing to lose anymore. As we saw in China, Alonso won the race from pole and Kimi came in second.. So it is very probable that had Renault made the decision to boost their engine power earlier on in the season, we would have seen Alonso challenging Kimi for wins more often than what we saw..

In 06.. Alonso had a DNF from the lead in Hungary and another one in Monza meanwhile MS had a DNF due to a crash in Australia and a mechanical DNF in Japan.. If you say that the only reason Alonso won the title in 06 was due to MS’ DNF in Japan, you basically don’t know what you are talking about or did not watch the entire season.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2780288)   #84
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To show how strong a position Alonso is in, just think of it this way - if he wins in Brazil and Mark finishes 5th or lower, Fernando is champion, as everyone else will automatically be out if Fernando wins the race

While this may sound a little tenuous, you only have to realise how strong Massa usually is in Brazil to see that it's not so unlikely. All it would take is a Ferrari 1-2 (and I think the track will suit them), Vettel having a decent weekend and ending up more than 1 position ahead of Mark (so that the team won't have to move him over, which they will love), and one of the McLarens getting in on the act and suddenly the title's settled

So after this much-hyped rollercoaster of a year with the "closest" title battle ever, it may well all be over before Abu Dhabi. Who'd have bet on that after the British GP, even before you get onto that it was the guy in 5th in the table after that race that wins it?
Old 25 Oct 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2780292)   #85
BMW_F1
Rookie

United States
New York City
BMW_F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Who'd have bet on that after the British GP, even before you get onto that it was the guy in 5th in the table after that race that wins it?
And the only reason why I still believe in Alonso winning the WDC at that point was because he is IMO the best driver out of the 5 who were in contention.. Lewis can match him but for some strange reason back then I knew that he would crack under pressure and make silly unnecessary costly mistakes at the end..

If any other driver from the grid would have been on that same position after Silverstone, I would have say "no FW.."
Old 25 Oct 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2780326)   #86
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
To show how strong a position Alonso is in, just think of it this way - if he wins in Brazil and Mark finishes 5th or lower, Fernando is champion, as everyone else will automatically be out if Fernando wins the race

While this may sound a little tenuous, you only have to realise how strong Massa usually is in Brazil to see that it's not so unlikely. All it would take is a Ferrari 1-2 (and I think the track will suit them), Vettel having a decent weekend and ending up more than 1 position ahead of Mark (so that the team won't have to move him over, which they will love), and one of the McLarens getting in on the act and suddenly the title's settled

So after this much-hyped rollercoaster of a year with the "closest" title battle ever, it may well all be over before Abu Dhabi. Who'd have bet on that after the British GP, even before you get onto that it was the guy in 5th in the table after that race that wins it?
Now imagine that : Massa leads all the weekend, training, qualifying, gets the pole position and leads until the last lap, and then he gently let Alonso pass when going up the Arquibancadas, right in front of the cheering crowd !! That would be a historic moment for everyone involved.

sky cracks open
Old 25 Oct 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2780336)   #87
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You can say this about any championship order/gap just before the penultimate round. One drive will have an advantage going into that round and if they win...
Old 25 Oct 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2780337)   #88
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would really love to see Webber win but Alonso is on a big roll right now and the luck is going his way.Webber's mistake at the weekend actually cost him the win as i guess he would have inherited it from Vettel so he will be under immense pressure in Brazil. Any predictions would be guesswork.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2780338)   #89
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Now imagine that : Massa leads all the weekend, training, qualifying, gets the pole position and leads until the last lap, and then he gently let Alonso pass when going up the Arquibancadas, right in front of the cheering crowd !! That would be a historic moment for everyone involved.

sky cracks open
I am up for this.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2780339)   #90
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds good to me!
Old 25 Oct 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2780352)   #91
craigd
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
craigd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
but that doesnt translate to pulling together to be the first team other then Ferrari, Renault or McLaren to win a WDC in how long, 13 years?
What about Brawn GP last year?!!

Red Bull should still easily bag the constructors' and- barring another crazy race like Korea - the drivers' must surely be between Alonso and Webber now.

A sneaky part of me feels that Alonso is going to do it and win by < 7 points so that the championship will become infamous and repeatedly argued over due to Alonso's 'bonus' 7 points gain from Germany.

But I want Webber to get it, and to be honest he should still be able to do it given the equipment he has and tracks remaining. Red Bull just keep screwing themselves over though.

If in Brazil we have in the race the situation of Vettel leading Webber with Alonso in third or similarly high scoring position, surely Red Bull will have to let Webber take the win. It would be foolish otherwise.

Prediction: barring rain or some flukey safety car mix up affair, I think Webber will win Brazil and Abu Dhabi (even if that means Vettel allowing him the win)!
Old 25 Oct 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2780355)   #92
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

sky cracks open
That would certsinly be one in the Arquibancadas, for everyone concerned.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2780361)   #93
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

sky cracks open
This would be wonderful.
It would ram home to everyone that what happened in Germany was what F1 is all about and the FIA will not ever be able to police its own regulations properly....
Old 25 Oct 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2780404)   #94
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope Alonso wins it..will futher strengthen his status as the best driver on the grid.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2780447)   #95
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeh, Brawn last year. I have wiped it from my memory because of the worlds ugliets wheels

Brazil always seems to be wet, so who knows what can happen there. Engines are of concern. RBR continue to have the car speed most weekends to bag 1-2s but for any number of reasons it often doesnt come off. I expect given the nature of the tracks they may not get the front row by 0.5 seconds but they will have strong grid positions. Webber always seems to finish a season well, and start them badly. Lets hope this season is no different
Old 25 Oct 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2780452)   #96
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Brazil always seems to be wet, so who knows what can happen there. Engines are of concern. RBR continue to have the car speed most weekends to bag 1-2s but for any number of reasons it often doesnt come off. I expect given the nature of the tracks they may not get the front row by 0.5 seconds but they will have strong grid positions. Webber always seems to finish a season well, and start them badly. Lets hope this season is no different
If yesterday's race is anything to go by he's not finishing the end of this season too well.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:41 (Ref:2780668)   #97
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Asked recently over dinner if Hamilton was now "out of it" I agreed that he and Jenson probably were unless Red Bull had a big disaster. That has now happened and I am with the same group for dinner again on Wednesday when I will have to say that he certainly can now win in what has been a fascinating season's racing.

The momentum and luck have gone from Webber and swung to Alonso but the difference between Hamilton and Button with the same car was a major feature of the weekend for me. I believe that, of the 5 protagonists only Button is now out of the running, great season when you can say that after so many races.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2780671)   #98
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope Webber wins, but have $25 on Alonso at 4-1 as back up
Old 26 Oct 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2780750)   #99
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
He looks after cars better than anyone except maybe Webber and makes fewer mistakes that the others.
I'm not sure I would consider Webber smashing his car to bits to be "looking after" it...

I think we have to say that Button is out of it now. There is absolutely no chance that he's going to win the next two races and the other 4 not score points. Perhaps he doesn't see it that way though: http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6...-m-still-in-it

I want some of whatever he's smoking...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 26 Oct 2010, 14:25 (Ref:2780772)   #100
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button is of course quite right to take that line and I am sure it is the team that have said it to him, or his management perhaps. This year we have seen some great racing and some surprises and I look forward to these last two races with great enthusiasm
Closed Thread