Old 3 Mar 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3034436)   #76
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I get the impression these teams are just trying to milk F1 for every last penny they can get while holding grid slots that anyone wishing to enter F1 will have to buy!

American property developers call properties which they are holding speculatively to develop later and renting out to cover the various taxes in the meantime taxpayers.

So maybe that is the term we should apply to these 3 teams - TAXPAYERS.

Pre-qualifying needs to be reintroduced, and if the established players are not good enough to keep new entrants out of the field they can try again next race or go away and waste some other categories time!

This is theoretically a World Championship and not club racing!
I have a very hard time seeing how they would actually make money that way, I seiously doubt selling the spot would make up for three years of Formula 1 racing.

I was happy when the three new teams joined and even though I hoped they would've made up more ground by now (well Caterham seems to be doing pretty good I guess) I would still much rather see 26 cars than 20 or 18 which was definatly a risk a few years back.
Old 3 Mar 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3034514)   #77
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can easily still see us having numbers down at 22 or 20 this season. FI needs a new owner, HRT appears more interested in transporters and warehouses than cars, Marussia looks worse still.
Old 3 Mar 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3034516)   #78
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
You can shout me down as an old fogey if you want, but how about returning the sport to the authorities, as it used to be.

Nobody should OWN a sport, maybe just the right to promote it. The FIA are the governing body, not BCE. This is his mess.
Old 3 Mar 2012, 15:23 (Ref:3034529)   #79
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe so but he has his uses. F1 would be as well promoted as the WRC without BC£
Old 3 Mar 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3034533)   #80
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Mmmm... but to be honest I don't want it "well-promoted". give it back to the fans, not the apathetic lot in far-off climes.

You can scoff, but I honestly believe the sport would have survived without the mega-bucks that Bernie arranged, and would be all the better for that.
Old 3 Mar 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3034551)   #81
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HRT won't be testing tomorrow

the car still is'nt ready
Old 3 Mar 2012, 16:50 (Ref:3034559)   #82
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
They joined in on a mis-apprehension, and have'nt recovered since.
This is true. They joined under the budget cap rules and then had the rug pulled out from underneath them. I think that we also missed out on some really cool cars under the budget cap rules.
Old 3 Mar 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3034588)   #83
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
I have a very hard time seeing how they would actually make money that way, I seiously doubt selling the spot would make up for three years of Formula 1 racing.
i think it depends on who is selling it. without knowing all the ins and outs but i would be curious to know how much of his own money Mr.Mallya put into Force India. was he investing his own money into the team (operational budget) or did the money come from his other companies...if memory serves he and Michael Mol bought the team for 100million a few years back and although the new investors Sahara may now have controlling interest with their 100mill investment, Mallya's still owns shares...diluted sure but their overall value could very well be much more that what he originally had to come up with to buy the team hence a big windfall for him personally. also i would think that Mol's purchase of Midland, then Spyker, and now FI has made him a tidy sum as well but thats just a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Mmmm... but to be honest I don't want it "well-promoted". give it back to the fans, not the apathetic lot in far-off climes.
personally i like that F1 operates on such a grand scale but i certainly agree that F1 needs a better class of team owners. hedge fund managers and quasi governmental investments agencies should not be allowed to own parts of teams let alone ever be allowed to hold majority control of a team.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3035377)   #84
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't like acronyms (although "deploy the DRS" sounds ). Why is HRT called that? If they want a Spanish identity, surely Hispania would be better. Likewise, I don't know why Toro Rosso call their cars STRs.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 16:35 (Ref:3035441)   #85
Jordan 199
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Jordan 199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't disagree with that. HRT is just hormone replacement therapy, whereas Hispania sounds like something a Spanish squad ought to associate themselves with. I have visions of out-of-date executives thinking it's a cool acronym, and that they're down with the fans.

Last edited by Jordan 199; 5 Mar 2012 at 16:52.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3035447)   #86
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
along those lines, if they're called "hrt" then the board is a group of angry housewives, the company logo a pair of crossed rolling pins and the company motto will be "put the seat down when you're done"

/sexist jokes
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3035473)   #87
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought HRT was derived from Hispania Racing Team but I could be wrong.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3035480)   #88
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3035487)   #89
Jordan 199
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Jordan 199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I thought HRT was derived from Hispania Racing Team but I could be wrong.
It is, it's just an unfortunate name.

And I love that livery, even if it's shy of a few sponsors. Much better than Marussia's black and red, which screams of them hanging onto Virgin colours, even though they're not there anymore. That's another team that could learn about national identity.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3035491)   #90
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
along those lines, if they're called "hrt" then the board is a group of angry housewives, the company logo a pair of crossed rolling pins and the company motto will be "put the seat down when you're done"

/sexist jokes
They could bring in a post-menopausal Giovanna Amati, and how about Danica Patrick? She gets irate.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3035498)   #91
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great to see these cars on the grid. And this one is a real looker.

Why anyone wouldn't want them about is beyond me! I don't care how slow some of the cars are - F1 gets ridiculous when there's a handful of cars on track.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3035529)   #92
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Great to see these cars on the grid. And this one is a real looker.

Why anyone wouldn't want them about is beyond me! I don't care how slow some of the cars are - F1 gets ridiculous when there's a handful of cars on track.
My thoughts exactly! And a slow car at least has the potential to get quicker but a non-existing car is just..a non-existing car.

And this is a great looking car!
Old 5 Mar 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3035541)   #93
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Some more pics of the HRT car.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-photos...93737/#/193731
Old 5 Mar 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3035545)   #94
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
looks a bit "messy" from that angle
Old 5 Mar 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3035549)   #95
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I quite like the livery, but find it hard to be positive about this team. They've lurched from one disaster and poor plan to another, changed owners and drivers with embarrassing regularity, and never showed any signs of building into a competitive or respectable F1 team. The only real benefit to having them on the grid is that people can prove themselves by doing a good job with them, the way Alonso did with Minardi and Vettel with Toro Rosso.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3035551)   #96
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
looks a bit "messy" from that angle
I preferred the livery that was used at Jerez on the 2011 car, but at least it shows that sponsorship is having some kind of influence on the way the car looks.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3035617)   #97
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Credit to them for having a car built and running earlier than they managed in the previous two seasons and in spite of having to cope with a change of premises and technical personnel.In a couple of weeks we will be able to see whether they are any closer to the teams in the midfield.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 00:52 (Ref:3035721)   #98
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
God bless them they did it !
Old 6 Mar 2012, 01:03 (Ref:3035726)   #99
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I can't make up my mind whether to be critical or upbeat. Right now, Jeremy is swaying me with his relentless positivity.
Old 6 Mar 2012, 01:06 (Ref:3035728)   #100
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I can't make up my mind whether to be critical or upbeat. Right now, Jeremy is swaying me with his relentless positivity.
I am not to keen on the livery myself, there is that better...