Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Sep 2013, 07:50 (Ref:3303193)   #76
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This article in PitPass was interesting comparing Alonso with Prost

http://www.pitpass.com/49679/Back-To-The-Wilderness

"Luca di Montezemolo has said recently, 'Drivers, we've had a lot, some very good, some great, but drivers come and go, while Ferrari remains.' In 1991, Alain Prost said something to the effect that his Ferrari 643 was like driving a truck. He was dropped for the final race and then sacked."

Bait and switch with Massa?
I get that feeling too. Deep down they're not happy with Alonso. As a driving talent, they think he's great. As an employee, they're sick of his politicking and sliminess. Getting Kimi on board is a convoluted way of getting one back on him. It fires a warning shot across his bow and shows him who's really in charge. The appointment will remove a level of comfort that he had when Massa was in the garage next door... and of course it signals that they have options if they do a 'Prost' with him. b1ackcr0w is right, things are never straightforward at Ferrari.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 09:11 (Ref:3303228)   #77
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
I actually like Ferrari's attitude regarding drivers, that drivers come and go, and none are bigger than Ferrari. It is a part of why Ferrari is the team they are. Non pay-drivers that get to F1 all have pretty much the same speed, and in this age of zillions of gigabytes of data, driver traces, reliability, paddleshifts etc, plus simulators, you get pretty much the same performance from any of them speed-wise, it's just a question of attitude that separates them.
The playstation cars of today don't really allow the real differences in driver ability to show.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3303236)   #78
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I get that feeling too. Deep down they're not happy with Alonso. As a driving talent, they think he's great. As an employee, they're sick of his politicking and sliminess. Getting Kimi on board is a convoluted way of getting one back on him. It fires a warning shot across his bow and shows him who's really in charge. The appointment will remove a level of comfort that he had when Massa was in the garage next door... and of course it signals that they have options if they do a 'Prost' with him. b1ackcr0w is right, things are never straightforward at Ferrari.
Indeed, Alonso's comfort zone became too comfortable and it will be simply "sublime" to watch the battle start next year! We could have another early exit indeed if the winging doesn't stop... Let's have it. F1 needs exactly that! 2 number 1 in the same team like Mclaren used to do!!
Old 13 Sep 2013, 09:55 (Ref:3303248)   #79
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I agree with all of this, and added to the technical changes, I think 2014 is going to be a very interesting season (if not always for what people may call 'the right reasons').
Old 13 Sep 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3303323)   #80
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Like TGF said, an explosive season is coming to us next year.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 14:42 (Ref:3303389)   #81
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apparently Ferrari have nabbed Lotus aero guy Dirk de Beer as well.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3304404)   #82
Tiny
Rookie

Sweden
Tiny has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
People can say whatever they like but NO ONE can say that Alonso is good WHEN another driver gets under his skin , i think Kimi would just laugh at him trying to test the status.

As the rumers say Vettel is in at a latter stage also.
Wounder what "Whinonso" has to say about that?
Hes has an ego bigger then Ferrari and that is what is getting his as fired.
NO thats right i do not care much for Alonso.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 22:50 (Ref:3304456)   #83
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"Wit"
Old 16 Sep 2013, 18:54 (Ref:3304812)   #84
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He's ready :0

Old 16 Sep 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3304831)   #85
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No Adam that's wit.........
Old 17 Sep 2013, 02:40 (Ref:3304969)   #86
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi taking a snooze is not as bad as James Hunt falling asleep in the car on the track during testing.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3305157)   #87
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Kimi taking a snooze is not as bad as James Hunt falling asleep in the car on the track during testing.
Plenty have done that during a race as well judging by some performances we have seen recently.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3305160)   #88
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Plenty have done that during a race as well judging by some performances we have seen recently.
All of them were dreaming of driving a Ferrari, except for Massa, who was just dreaming about not driving a Ferrari.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3305170)   #89
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Interesting quotes from Montezemolo:

"Raikkonen is a case almost identical to that of Lauda, Niki also said 'enough' at one point because he was sick with Formula One," Montezemolo told Gazzetta dello Sport. "I spoke of the twin brother of Kimi [in 2009] because the driver we had was not the same one we had hired [in 2007]. The break has been good, he has returned to the top, won, and finished many races. I want a driver who will not make me regret losing [Felipe] Massa, and here he is. I want wins, consistent performances and podiums".

Talking about the recent differences of opinion with Alonso:

"I am the first to understand his discontent," he added. "Let's say his dissatisfaction is like the anger of a footballer who is called to the bench and tells the manager to get stuffed. But I'd rather deal with someone like that than a wuss!"

Full story here.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3305185)   #90
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
"Someone take this bag of snakes and lay'em out straight for me" (Which Movie?)

Or: There seems to be a whole lot of driver threads heading towards total and utter oblivion.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3305343)   #91
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Let me tell you... Montezemolo watched "Rush" this weekend...
Old 19 Sep 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3306180)   #92
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It would be nice to think that from a contractual perspective, both of them are equal, but I find it very hard to believe that Alonso's contract does not place him as the clear number one. All the evidence points in that direction :

o His protracted negotiation
o The fact that when he was hired, it was Kimi [number one at the time ?] that had to be removed rather than Massa [even though Massa was injured].
o The formal support role Massa has had to play throughout his time with Alonso.
o If you remember, at the time, it was Kimi they had to remove in order to

Kimi may act dumb in the media and recalcitrant at the track, but don't let that fool you. He and his management are shrewd operators when it comes to money.

If you look at it from a driving perspective, then Kimi is better off staying at Lotus, where he is revered, is number one and could have a chance at a championship if they produce a decent car next year. However, that team is in financial difficulty and rumour has it that Kimi's owed money by them. Does Kimi believe they will have the resources to progress let alone maintain their current level ? Worse still, maybe they're in deeper financial difficulty than we're aware of ?

If you look at it from a financial perspective, then Kimi is better off taking a number two role at Ferrari. Though his driving and opportunities for ultimate success will be compromised, he is likely to milk a fortune from the deal... And if he behaves himself, the lucrative gravy could be extended to the end of his career.

As Chunterer said earlier, Kimi is looking more and more like the Irvine of the 2010s.
We were right... it was a purely financially motivated move - see here.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3306186)   #93
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It turns out one of the reasons Kimi decided to leave Lotus is ... he likes to be paid!

Who knew?!
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3306205)   #94
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
We were right... it was a purely financially motivated move - see here.
Bit disingenuous, don't you think?

Being paid vs not being paid is a purely financial move of course. Just not the same financial move as being paid a lot vs being paid even more.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 14:33 (Ref:3306209)   #95
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
These F1 drivers don't know they're born!

When I were a lad...........
Old 19 Sep 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3306270)   #96
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Well, maybe he was afraid of starving and not be able to pay the mortgage...

You know, poverty is such a sad thing.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 17:17 (Ref:3306283)   #97
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Divorce can do that to you...
Old 19 Sep 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3306285)   #98
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did get his basic salary from Lotus, but not the performance based bonuses. Classic example of doing too good of a job.

If Kimi gets on Alonso's nerves too much they just might buy him out again. Maybe that's what he's after, getting paid for not driving in F1.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3306318)   #99
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kimi goes for the money. I think the modern parlance is, whatever. Or maybe even, watevs. Or as JamesH put it, that is a bit disingenuous.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3306470)   #100
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Bit disingenuous, don't you think?
I don't think so. People may have moral issues with an individual as wealthy as Kimi putting the need for more money ahead of the raw quest for driving success, but that's for them to deal with. At his stage in life/career, if a team like Ferrari are prepared to shower him with dollar bills in exchange for his support to get Alonso a WDC, then why shouldn't he take it.