Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 21 Aug 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3446093)   #76
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More logically, with the Aiden Moffat tie up with Cicely this season, could we see Moffat in the Merc?
Old 24 Aug 2014, 04:53 (Ref:3446731)   #77
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
Manufacturer backed! Speaking to the mechanics at Oulton park & they have 7 full time staff at Dynamics including engineers,mechanics and truckies...

Only 7 fulltime staff?

That's surprising, I thought they would've had more considering here in Australia half the V8 grid would have 20 or so fulltime staff and the front runners such as 888/FPR/HRT would have more then that, even double that.

I'm quite surprised about that, makes their achievements look even better with so few fulltime staff
Old 24 Aug 2014, 07:18 (Ref:3446747)   #78
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Only 7 fulltime staff?

That's surprising, I thought they would've had more considering here in Australia half the V8 grid would have 20 or so fulltime staff and the front runners such as 888/FPR/HRT would have more then that, even double that.

I'm quite surprised about that, makes their achievements look even better with so few fulltime staff
I doubt (m)any teams in BTCC have more than that...that's just the way it is these days.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 08:15 (Ref:3446753)   #79
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Only 7 fulltime staff?

Tripleight were up at near 40 staff in 2005 with Vauxhall , even more I think in Supertouring times !

Prodrive were near 50 with the Ford mondeo , work out the budget for that at a minimum 20k Salary ! the staff bills were the same size as what the smaller NGTC teams are spending on the whole team entry and kit .

I think 888 are at about 8 full time now ! and the workshop is a 3rd of the size it was . Motorbase are maybe at a dozen or so and BMR the same , the rest are volunteers or temporary part timers .

but the right staff are as important if not more than a massive budget
Old 24 Aug 2014, 08:21 (Ref:3446755)   #80
PandaKing
Rookie

PandaKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When do the sporting regulations normally get confirmed, with the current grid size and problems with flags truncating a couple of qualifying sessions this year, what about potential changes to the quali format.
Old 24 Aug 2014, 10:01 (Ref:3446763)   #81
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaKing View Post
When do the sporting regulations normally get confirmed, with the current grid size and problems with flags truncating a couple of qualifying sessions this year, what about potential changes to the quali format.
I think Gow has said many times, quali wont change for now.

(But then he did say that about extending points to 15th)
Old 27 Aug 2014, 10:05 (Ref:3448060)   #82
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
does GIO hint at return for 2nd seasos ?

Quote:
I don’t really know how to explain the race, it is just a nightmare. I think a second season with the team will be a lot different for me. Mat has been faster than me and the car is fast, he took his chance when others messed up. But, I want to see the car win because it is the fastest car on the track.
We have been in the position to win many times but things have happened that have prevented that. I need to become faster in qualifying and suit the car towards my driving style a little bit. There are lots of little factors that we need to get on top of but we aren’t too far from where we want to be
Old 7 Sep 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3450932)   #83
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chris Stockdon announced that they will switch to a Cruze saloon for next year but will reuse most of the parts from their current hatchback
Old 7 Sep 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3450938)   #84
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Chris Stockdon announced that they will switch to a Cruze saloon for next year but will reuse most of the parts from their current hatchback
So that means it will still break down most races then? I really feel for that team...
Old 7 Sep 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3450939)   #85
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Will be good to see them back for next year, i really like the BTC outfit and i rate Stockton very highly as a driver, i can see them getting into the points now and again next season now they have the Toca lump in the car.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 09:47 (Ref:3450945)   #86
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Being slightly pedantic, he has only said he is considering it.

Given how long it took them to complete the the hatchback I wouldn't expect to see a saloon much before 2019
Old 7 Sep 2014, 10:16 (Ref:3450954)   #87
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well if they do return next year, I hope they'll get some better luck than their recent campaigns. Speaking of bad luck, do we think Team Welch will be back next year ? They've had an awful time of it in 2014... you gotta applaud their stoicism in the face of so many problems. Where does the funding for Dan's car come from ?
Old 7 Sep 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3450956)   #88
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Instead spending money on a new car they could better spending (part of) that money on the current car. Switch to the Cruze saloon doesn't mean problems are solved.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3450957)   #89
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Being slightly pedantic, he has only said he is considering it.

Given how long it took them to complete the the hatchback I wouldn't expect to see a saloon much before 2019
From TCT:
Quote:
“We will do something – we won’t be back in the hatchback,” said Stockton.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 10:23 (Ref:3450960)   #90
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Instead spending money on a new car they could better spending (part of) that money on the current car. Switch to the Cruze saloon doesn't mean problems are solved.
they need a saloon for a bit better top speed

they wasted a lot of money on the RML engine .... only to siwtch for the proven TOCA unit in stead of investing that money on chassis testing

same mistake by Dan Welsh

if you have a really tight budget a own engine is a big NO-NO
Old 7 Sep 2014, 15:04 (Ref:3451037)   #91
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have it on good authority that assuming they retain the TOCA license, Welch Motorsport will be back next year. I'm told they have been given the lowest boost on the grid with their in-house engine build, which can't be helpful.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 15:34 (Ref:3451045)   #92
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
they need a saloon for a bit better top speed

they wasted a lot of money on the RML engine .... only to siwtch for the proven TOCA unit in stead of investing that money on chassis testing

same mistake by Dan Welsh

if you have a really tight budget a own engine is a big NO-NO
Stocktons problems are bigger than only aero issues.
Better a well prepared hatch than spending all your resources on building a new car.

For example Morgan isn't doing bad with his Mercedes hatch.
Old 7 Sep 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3451078)   #93
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post

My thought exactly...
Old 10 Sep 2014, 06:42 (Ref:3451728)   #94
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
I have it on good authority that assuming they retain the TOCA license, Welch Motorsport will be back next year. I'm told they have been given the lowest boost on the grid with their in-house engine build, which can't be helpful.
That probably explains their performance deficit. Hopefully that can be addressed before the start of next season.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3451821)   #95
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All engines boost level is set by gasflowing the Head ,(carried out by Lotus engineering) The boost is set according to how efficient the flow across the head is, this means if Welches engine is low boost then the flow across the head is very good as per Honda , this means they either have a poor engine calibration to get the max from it,or the install is very poor.

Or Toca have dealt them a blow because they bad mouthed the TOCA unit last year !

whichever one it is, they are on to a pointless exercise running with a car that is so far behind on power they havnt a hope of competing fairly and just waisting their money.

United Autosports is another, The drivers constanly whining poor performance its down to boost, low boost means they have a good base engine so its either drivers or chassis not getting the time back in the corners.

it sounds crazy but the better the engine is, the less boost you get !
Old 10 Sep 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3451944)   #96
PandaKing
Rookie

PandaKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rotek racing still aiming for a 2 car setup next season despite the lack of TBLs. Could there be an opening to combine with another team?
Old 11 Sep 2014, 09:53 (Ref:3452096)   #97
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Any new rumours about Motorbase switching to BMW?

I read BMW is working on a 4-door saloon 1-Series. To make Plato happy: IT"S PROBABLY FWD!
Old 11 Sep 2014, 10:57 (Ref:3452109)   #98
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not sure what to think of the FWD BMWs, it just seems wrong.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3452133)   #99
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'm not sure what to think of the FWD BMWs, it just seems wrong.
OMG... God forbid the 2 Series Active Tourer replaces what WSR are using now. Plato will have so much to answer for if his moaning precipitates a disaster like that.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3452140)   #100
davyboy
Veteran

A really good insight here on the detailed differences between FWD and RWD from Rob Austin. He's clearly opposed to any change, as you'd expect, but his arguments are well founded. He also says that TOCA's boost adjustments are a lot smaller than people imagine... and believes that Dynamics' straight line speed deficit is to do with the aero of the Tourer.

http://www.insidebtcc.com/austin-broken/
Closed Thread