Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Sep 2007, 15:56 (Ref:2021842)   #76
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Nurburgring had rain this year.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 17:47 (Ref:2021922)   #77
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm tending to think this circuit will slightly favour McLaren.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 22:21 (Ref:2022166)   #78
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it wasn't for that horrid final sector which reminds me of that nasty double-hairpin bit at Indy, it doesn't look that bad. The first part of the lap looks to have kept the general idea of the old layout, but the last part of the lap has just no flow to it - the old 300R, indeed the old layout, was fabulous (as viewers of In Car 956 will know),

Having said that, the contrast between the long straight and fast first half of the lap, and the slow last sector, at least makes things a setup challenge - it's closest to Indy in that respect, and that usually provided half decent races. The weather is likely to be changeable too so I think the racing should be OK, even if the circuit isn't the most challenging.

Would agree that the circuit ought to suit McLaren, mainly as their car seems to be more adaptable to extremes in car setup - they've been pretty dominant on ultra-high and ultra-low/low downforce circuits, but generally trailed Ferrari on the more typical Euro circuits.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 00:02 (Ref:2022207)   #79
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
"Welcome" to 10-Tenths J-C I hope you enjoy posting here!
Old 25 Sep 2007, 00:34 (Ref:2022216)   #80
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Teams will trim their cars right out for the main straight - very minimal downforce. Therefore, I think the reliance will largely be on mechanical grip and how the cars handle in low downforce set-up.

It should theoretically provide some exciting racing - they should be made to run the old Handford device from CART for the main straight to increase slipstreaming...
Old 25 Sep 2007, 03:05 (Ref:2022245)   #81
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats what they did when they first came to indy, but after the first practice sessions they added a lot of downforce because they figured out it was faster and if its wet you can forget the low downforce thing anyway.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 05:26 (Ref:2022272)   #82
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

Here's hoping it does
Old 25 Sep 2007, 10:15 (Ref:2022445)   #83
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moss
i really hope it rains, have we had a wet rain this year? i only tend to watch qualy and the first 5 laps of a race and then the highlights
"wet rain this year?" Yes,it's always wet.

Perhaps the races should be run over just five laps and then you wouldn't need to watch the highlights.

Last edited by Marbot; 25 Sep 2007 at 10:19.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 10:18 (Ref:2022449)   #84
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I'm pretty sure that Ferrari will almost certainly put in a complaint to the FIA about this.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 10:34 (Ref:2022465)   #85
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
See today's Gazzetta De La sport.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 11:33 (Ref:2022499)   #86
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Cage
Well thanks for that, but it just doesn't help me right now...
Raising Arizona (I think). Can you give us a Reader's Digest version?
Old 25 Sep 2007, 12:34 (Ref:2022559)   #87
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Purist in that they have completely ruined the old 300R corner, you know, the one that looked like the back of a Jaguar E type. That used to be essential to Fuji, just like the straight, 100R and the hairpin. Tilke then sharpened the hairpin, maybe to gain more paddock space. For safety reasons, there used to be a chicane in the middle of the old 300R for quite a few years. Unfortunately, Tilke kept the chicane and put it at the very end of his backstraight. That is pretty pointless. Additionally, the final section of corners looks really forced and is most likely a dogleg. Probably it's meant to be a stadium section, like those Tilke is famous for (after Turn 1 at Nürburgring, Mercedes Arena at Hockenheim). We're going to see how well Fuji fares in the eyes of the spectators, but its location in the middle of nowhere is worse than Magny-Cours and Silverstone combined, and its weather in September is worse than in the Eifel mountains in July. So the race could be exiting, or maybe not.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 23:01 (Ref:2023049)   #88
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know its succeptable to changing over the next few days, but I just checked 4 different weather forecasts, including Japan Meteorology Agency, and RenaultF1's weather predictions (and I expect them to try get an accurate understanding of potention weather conditions)....and they ALL say RAIN ON SUNDAY

I hope it doesn't let me down now...
Old 25 Sep 2007, 23:12 (Ref:2023056)   #89
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it rains too, but, keeping off topic (that would be Fuji track) like the rest of you, who do you reckon is the current rain-meister?
Old 25 Sep 2007, 23:28 (Ref:2023061)   #90
pottiella
Veteran

uhh..Alonso..hands down...*ducks*

I said that pretty much Since Hungary last year (supported by China before a poor tyre choice)...taking into account previous shows in rain too...and then this year, every test or practice session it's rained at since January, including Monaco..and then of course nurburgring, he was one of only a couple of drivers who kept it together the entire race, eventually pull that stunning move in the wet when it started raining again near the end.

But now the championship is becoming pressured, and Fuji is a new track, it will be interesting to see if he can hold it together in the rain this weekend...if it rains.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 23:29 (Ref:2023063)   #91
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.Doyle
I hope it rains too, but, keeping off topic (that would be Fuji track) like the rest of you, who do you reckon is the current rain-meister?
I think Massa is going to stand out if it rains followed buy Kubica and I think you might find that Sutil will do wonders given the tub he is driving.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 01:52 (Ref:2023105)   #92
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
After Brazil in 2003, I have to go with Kimi. And after Spa this year, I'm really not sure Alonso has maintained the composure necessary to hold it together in a wet race.

Alonso's pass at the German GP was nothing all that special (though it was a well-executed maneuver). I've seen wet reacing at Mosport, so I know very well that in the wet those quicker corners are often faster if you take a more outside line.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 02:13 (Ref:2023109)   #93
pottiella
Veteran

Huh? Spa? What did he not hold together? and how is that of any relevance to a wet race? Alonso hasn't put a foot wrong in wet races since brazil 2003, and even then it was because he was going TOO well that he smashed into Webber's Jaguar debris..

Anyway, I don't want to raise a big debate about that as its seriously off topic. I'll just agree to disagreee.

Since Knowlesy STILL hasn't put up a preview for this weekend (hint hint ) a little weather update (yes, I'm fascinated by weather...get over it! ) for Fuji:

More reports saying rain on Sunday, including BBC's weather service..showing rain in the region...and also rain on Saturday too. Saturday's rain could be restricted to the morning, but it shows we might get a wet quali as well...but Sunday's rain is due all day, so it's pretty much a case of if the rain overlaps with the race, or misses it like it did in Brazil 2005 (it rained before and after, but not during).

I have to say, with respect to the Fuji track...in rain/wet track, those incredibly tight corners, especially before and after the loooong straight (ie turn 1 and 16) will be quite challenging under such heavy braking, and requiring quite a lot of grip. Will be fascinating to see how each team car fairs, should it rain...
Old 26 Sep 2007, 12:54 (Ref:2023531)   #94
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if it's raining should prove an interesting start Wonder what Sato's start will be like In Honda someone told him where to go on starts as he used to get "red mist", wonder if he still gets the same in Super Aguri. It would be nice to see Sutil in the leading on a soaking wet track, followed by 2 Mclarens and Ferrari going off by stupid mistakes or taking eachother out Guess we can all dream
Old 26 Sep 2007, 13:38 (Ref:2023563)   #95
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Japan + rain, always proved to be a good combination, let's hope Fuji keeps the tradition.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 13:56 (Ref:2023579)   #96
pottiella
Veteran

well my hopes and dreams are starting to fizz out...and this is why I was cautious earlier by saying its succeptable to change...being a region of Japan that has unpredictable and spontaneous weather conditions.

Rain has turned into light rain for Sunday, and saturday should be clearer than first predicted. However, everyone still has rain predicted for the region on Sunday, so I think a safer bet is to say we will probably have changeable weather conditions during the race, and if nothing else, some radical strategies put into place for the eventuality of rain...just in case. I can see the intermediates being at the ready on race day...

It's gonna be relatively cold for a race either way.

Eat your heart out Michael Fish (brits or BBC World viewers only )
Old 28 Sep 2007, 17:04 (Ref:2025271)   #97
S.Moss
Racer

England
A lap of Fuji 2007, using FSONE 2006 mod in rFactor and the w.i.p Fuji 2007 by Ethone

http://www.dailymotion.com/SMoss36/video/5179707
Old 28 Sep 2007, 17:57 (Ref:2025304)   #98
jonm2
Rookie

United Kingdom
jonm2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Moss
A lap of Fuji 2007, using FSONE 2006 mod in rFactor and the w.i.p Fuji 2007 by Ethone

http://www.dailymotion.com/SMoss36/video/5179707
that last section looks painfully slow and awkward...
Old 28 Sep 2007, 18:11 (Ref:2025312)   #99
S.Moss
Racer

England
it is, 2nd gear most of way, only a quick test, but its wide, really boring now and the last section, well its a joke to be honest. But its nice that someone had a go at making the track and people that own rFactor have got a beta version to play on for this weekend.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 18:24 (Ref:2025324)   #100
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Way too much understeer in that Ferrari Mr Moss.