Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Apr 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2447854)   #76
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's not really as simple as that for a BTCC BMW though. Because the car is developed on Yokohamas, any data they have with regards to handling and tyre settings is pretty much worthless to BTCC teams. WSR had more success in 2007 when they started with the car, after they went their own way on setup, as the BMW engineers ideas weren't working. So they still have a bit of work to do when they get the car, not a simple buy the car and turn up and race scenario.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2447921)   #77
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato confirmed for the rest of the season, racing the Lacetti as Team Silverline. Jackson will still run under the RML banner.

I'm not his biggest fan, but this is great news for the championship
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2447947)   #78
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good news about Plato, and as he proved at Brands last time out, it is possible to develop a race-winning FWD package in a short space of time. Allied to the VXRs and the previous Leon results, I don't see that RWD is anywhere near being 'too dominant'.
Admittedly RWD has an advantage off the line, but with the regular BTCC contact (and I'm not saying it's a good thing, just a non-avoidable part of BTCC), the FWD cars have an advantage when 'love-tapped'.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2447952)   #79
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good news about Plato, he definitely deserves a secure seat. Hats off to Silverline and Auto Windscreens for coming up with the sponsorship for JP's season.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2447977)   #80
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great news.

http://www.silverlinetools.com/racingsilverline
I understand Silverline steps up from being small sponsor to main sponsor?
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2447985)   #81
NendoShisu
Racer

England
LUTON
NendoShisu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Good news about Plato, he definitely deserves a secure seat. Hats off to Silverline and Auto Windscreens for coming up with the sponsorship for JP's season.
Indeed.

I looked at the logos they should look sweet on Plato's Blue Chevvy

Silverline Tools http://www.itecpower.co.uk/itec/itec...ine%20logo.png

Auto Windscreens http://www.autowindscreens.co.uk/ima...ens_logo_3.gif

I would say that he will still have the Tesco 99 sponsership too.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2447990)   #82
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic news, we now have many top line drivers in the championship to enhance the credability of a great year ahead.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2447996)   #83
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reasonably Priced Car for the championship?

(Worth noting now that all GM cars in the championship are now out of production models...the Vectra and Lacetti 2008, and Astra Coupe 2004!)
Old 23 Apr 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2448019)   #84
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Superb news.

Have to say, even since this time nearly 3 weeks ago, the championship looks far better with Plato, Thompson and Jackson back in it.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2448071)   #85
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
(Worth noting now that all GM cars in the championship are now out of production models...the Vectra and Lacetti 2008, and Astra Coupe 2004!)
Could similar not also be said of the Hondas, Fords, and the SEAT Toledo?

No Civic Type R with the TD body style, no Integra, no Focus ST 5dr 2L, no Toledo.

I also note on the offical site here, that Thompson's and Morrison's cars are not eligible for Manufacturer's Independants also. Did the official entry need to be made at Media Day - if so surely a walkover for VXR which negates the reason for creating this category in the first place?

And also, if there was a deadline for this category, why not for the other categories?
Old 23 Apr 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2448086)   #86
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I also note on the offical site here, that Thompson's and Morrison's cars are not eligible for Manufacturer's Independants also.
The page hasn't been properly updated. Morrison scored points for Ford/AON at Brands.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2448097)   #87
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
OK, I'd assumed it was based on Media Day entries.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2448207)   #88
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fantastic that Plato is in for the full season, hopefully Jackson will be too. Thompson for 9 races is probably an improvement on Shedden for 10 as well - but with the qway entries have been popping up late, can we bet against somebody funding Gordon to return?
Old 24 Apr 2009, 06:13 (Ref:2448344)   #89
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Indeed, the 3 latest full entries is a huge boost for BTCC. This could be a really really good year, especially since Gio didnt have a good start and thus most of the contenders start on pretty equal points.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 12:56 (Ref:2448616)   #90
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I believe we're gonna have even more fun now! Great to know. Plato, Jackson, Thommo... What else can you ask for?
Old 24 Apr 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2448628)   #91
glossysanta
Rookie

glossysanta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching BTCC races

dear fellows and ladies.

I'm outside UK; does anyone know the means to watch the races? Are videos available online? (because I have a foreign location, I do not have access to www.itv.com).

Help is appreciated!!!
Old 24 Apr 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2448704)   #92
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
BTCC: Gordon Shedden: "I had no idea"
Gordon Shedden has been left out in the cold after Team Dynamics decided to bring in James Thompson instead. The 30 year old Brit had no idea what was coming.
“That was partly because I was on holiday and had my phone switched off but I had no idea this had been going on in the background," said Shedden to The Sun.
Shedden believes that the reason for him getting side lined is due to money.

“That’s the defining factor. I have been gazumped by another deal and presumably more money.”
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=3389

Strange situation.

Last edited by FIRE; 24 Apr 2009 at 16:17.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 17:27 (Ref:2448750)   #93
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Obviously Thompson is not paying for his drive. By saying he lost the drive to 'more money' he probably means that the team were paid more money by their sponsors to have Thompson in the car.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2448777)   #94
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
And I also assume that the fact that Thompson came in means some more sponsors, apart from the already existing sponsor paying something more. I don't think the situation is weird, it's what happens in motorsports when someone just dismisses a driver for another. I think Shedden's a good guy, he doesn't say bad things about his former team though they didn't exactly treat him kindly...
Old 24 Apr 2009, 18:58 (Ref:2448791)   #95
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
They could put Shedden aside without problems so I get the impression he had a race to race contract.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2448888)   #96
RIXGE
Racer

RIXGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon is a fantastic team player and out and out top guy, its just so unfortunate that his funding, like so many has fallen by the wayside for the moment....
Old 25 Apr 2009, 01:11 (Ref:2448992)   #97
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
They could put Shedden aside without problems so I get the impression he had a race to race contract.
Most deals I've signed in my racing career were all-season packages paid race by race, so probably that's how they could put him aside this quickly and easily
Old 25 Apr 2009, 05:52 (Ref:2449032)   #98
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest, I could see Shedden getting moved aside when I heard that the Clydesdale only had a 3 year deal with the team. And that was in 2006!
Old 25 Apr 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2449047)   #99
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Word from Thruxton is that Thompson car is in identical livery to when Shedden was in it. There's no new sponsors, or at least nothing noticeable, so it's anyone's guess where the money to pay Thompson is coming from.

Plato and Jackson's cars have extensive RML branding. Plato's has Silverline down the side, Jackson's has PCC.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2449117)   #100
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Nice to see more cars being entered, specifically, more S2000 cars.

Tags
btcc, thruxton