Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2506564)   #76
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprobane View Post
There are a few guys out there with F1 experience who I think would be better options than JV (although not necessarily for USF1 due to their North American aims) such as Ant Davidson, Taku, Klien, Liuzzi, Speed...
And how many of these have won races and the world title?

Quote:
Not to mention guys like Barichello who are likely to be out of a drive next year...
I'd say Rubens' most likely destination at this stage is Williams
Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2506580)   #77
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I remember that... who was the guy from the pits who pushed the button "smash JV" in the last race of the season ?
Ah...Dave Richards?
Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2506583)   #78
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And if Rubens goes to Williams there will be an experienced F1 driver out of a job...

Although those guys haven't races and titles none of them have been in the dominant car in F1, something JV most certainly has.

Personally if I were starting a team top of my list would be Ant, quality driver with recent experience who can really develop a car.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2506598)   #79
csirl
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I don't know where this computer-controlled car idea has come from. Traction control was banned in 1997 so it can't be that.

In 1997 it was illegal to run driver aids on the car, but there was a loophole exploited by the teams. It wasnt illegal to have them on the car and at that time it wasnt possible to check the car mid race, so the race officials had no idea whether these aids were switched on during races. It is well known that a number of teams exploited this loophole before it was closed.

The traction control/active suspensions DID compensate for driver errors - computers could kick in and adjust the wheelspin and turning to ensure a car did not slide off the track - cars effectively had something similar to the flight envelope on some modern passenger jets.

In addition to this, a lot of adjustments could be made remotely from the pits in this era - similar to the adjustments you see present day drivers making mid lap with their steering wheel buttons/knobs.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2506626)   #80
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look at the suspension on a real active suspension car vs a traditional car. One has hydraulic actuators, the other has standard dampers. JV's FW19 had standard dampers.

Oh, and JV beat everybody with it, INCLUDING his teamate who went on to be 3rd in the WC 2 years later.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2506636)   #81
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back to the testing restrictions question - as the new teams have entered the 2010 F1 championship, could you not argue that the rule book does not apply to them in 2009 & therefore they can do as much testing as they want?
Old 23 Jul 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2506641)   #82
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And if Rubens goes to Williams there will be an experienced F1 driver out of a job...
I can think of plenty of words other than experienced to describe Kazuki Nakajima tbh
Old 23 Jul 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2506643)   #83
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The next Nakano" are just 3 words I picked. At random.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 13:59 (Ref:2506645)   #84
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nea View Post
"The next Nakano" are just 3 words I picked. At random.
Hmm, bit harsh

I mean on Shinji. He didn't stick it in the wall that often
Old 23 Jul 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2506650)   #85
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
Back to the testing restrictions question - as the new teams have entered the 2010 F1 championship, could you not argue that the rule book does not apply to them in 2009 & therefore they can do as much testing as they want?
hmmm....good question.Although they would have probably already agreed not to do that,even if it were possible.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2507075)   #86
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Amusing hearing Peter Windsor's comments during FP1 earlier.

He was outlining what he expects from USF1 next year, things like driver friendly, simple to set up chassis, 'solid baselines' and points in their first season.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2507352)   #87
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We all know that Nick Wirth is penning the Manor car, Campos have got Dallara drawing theirs, does anyone know who is responsible for the USF1 car? Its not Ken Anderson is it?
Old 24 Jul 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2507369)   #88
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds_uk View Post
We all know that Nick Wirth is penning the Manor car, Campos have got Dallara drawing theirs, does anyone know who is responsible for the USF1 car? Its not Ken Anderson is it?
Yep...it's Ken.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2507519)   #89
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Do the new teams know that they have to build a full size fuel tank for next year?

Perhaps someone should let them know, does anyone have their phone numbers?
Old 25 Jul 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2507787)   #90
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gabrielle Tredozi , former Minardi and Toro Rosso Technical Director is rumored for Campos Meta 1
Old 25 Jul 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2507807)   #91
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nakajima gets undue criticism; the kid isn't a world beater but I think he's proved himself more than deserving of his seat. Whoever compared him unfavorably with Shinji Nakano was, well, wrong.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2507837)   #92
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, and I think it's exacerbeated by the possibility that Rosberg is a bit special.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2507898)   #93
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
And how many of these have won races and the world title?

When JV had the same standard equipment as the other guys mentioned, how many races and titles did he (JV) win?
Old 25 Jul 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2507900)   #94
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm sure that Rubens and Williams will now prove me wrong but i have to question whether Williams would want to take a risk on Rubens after his "5%" comments this weekend?

What happens if 4 races in next season he decides that he really doesn't want to do it anymore?

I can see (and indeed am hoping) Nico and Heikki doing a straight swap.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2532578)   #95
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So apparently the Cosworths are going to be much more thirsty thus the cars will need 18kg more fuel which means they will be 3-4 secs a lap slower... Therefore this is apparently the reason De la Rosa wont commit to Campos in case a drive comes up at Epsilon who will have Renault motors if they get the green light.

Im all for backmarker teams but 3-4 secs a lap, thats just crazy and will surely finish these teams before they start? Will we see a return to the higher limits for Cosworths now?
Old 1 Sep 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2532682)   #96
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
So apparently the Cosworths are going to be much more thirsty thus the cars will need 18kg more fuel which means they will be 3-4 secs a lap slower... Therefore this is apparently the reason De la Rosa wont commit to Campos in case a drive comes up at Epsilon who will have Renault motors if they get the green light.

Im all for backmarker teams but 3-4 secs a lap, thats just crazy and will surely finish these teams before they start? Will we see a return to the higher limits for Cosworths now?
Have you a link? Because Cosworth are still working on their engine for next season (they are allowed to bring it up to the current specs of other engines).
Old 1 Sep 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2532694)   #97
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post

This is what I read too. I think it was on Autosport or Grandprix.com, wasn't it?
Old 1 Sep 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2532706)   #98
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Have you a link? Because Cosworth are still working on their engine for next season (they are allowed to bring it up to the current specs of other engines).
GP.com
Old 1 Sep 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2532708)   #99
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There's no way the FIA or anyone else will allow 6 cars or more lapping 3 secs off the pace ... Cosworth will be there or thereabouts by the time the season starts
Old 1 Sep 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2532712)   #100
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely an increased rev limit would compound the weight issues as they would use more fuel.

Who has the IP to Honda's V8 (or will get BMW's)? Perhaps Cosworth could buy the rights to have a butcher's or just build the Honda/BMW design if need be ...