Old 6 Aug 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2516638)   #76
Bezzers1986
Racer

England
East Anglia
Bezzers1986 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
3. Communication. Don't tell me what you think I need to hear when you think I need to hear it, tell me what's going on! Let me decide if the information is needed. I whine less (and can keep my crew from doing it) if I have the facts. So it's embarrassing if the pace car driver can't find the keys. At least I know I have a bit of downtime but probably not enough to let everyone wander off, and we can go at any moment.
I don't agree with this one, I find that communication is very good from RC to posts (radio users). I use a scanner (keeps me up to date while flagging) and always know what the hold up is, even if it is the fact the driver has lost the safety car (happened at Silverstone...). I will also let people without a scanner know what is going on, so they know how long things will take.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2516651)   #77
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
As for not being able to take a comfort break because you are a post chief, hand the responsibility over to your IO or most senior marshal if you are in dire need of the toilet.....I do!
I didnt say i wasnt able, just that it gets a bit difficult specially if you are in the middle of a circuit not very close to facilities.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2516699)   #78
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you need a sheewee sara allows you to use the manbush

problem is when the manbush is in a specator area, dopnt mind taking a leak if fellow marshals can see what i am doing but when speccys can it is different

portaloos would be handy though
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2516708)   #79
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
you need a sheewee sara allows you to use the manbush

problem is when the manbush is in a specator area, dopnt mind taking a leak if fellow marshals can see what i am doing but when speccys can it is different

portaloos would be handy though
Maybe i should start taking a portapotty thing and a toilet tent to all meetings!!!!!
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2516717)   #80
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportgirli View Post
Maybe i should start taking a portapotty thing and a toilet tent to all meetings!!!!!
Would certainly mean that spectators wouldn't get to use it, which is I believe one of the considerations.

We know that we'd treat such facilities properly, but if we have a crowd like that at the Renault World Series this year I doubt whether some of them would.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 12:49 (Ref:2516762)   #81
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorspoertgirli, do you have a track like the Tardis, to fit all the gear in.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2516764)   #82
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
oops that should have said track bag
Old 6 Aug 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2516767)   #83
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystacks View Post
oops that should have said track bag

Ahhh there is a flaw in my plan!!

Just thinking of solutions instead of moaning lol
Old 6 Aug 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2516948)   #84
MADMAX999
Rookie

England
HYTHE, KENT
MADMAX999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please stop advising people not to Marshal if they are unhappy about a particular matter. The fact that they are at the meeting in the first place is a positive thing.

I want to keep these people at circuits and not hang up their probans, especially when offended by comments on this forum.

There are meetings running desperately low on Marshals, for the good of all we have to boost these numbers.

Communication allows problems to be solved.........

Hawthorns on GP Circuit (no PA system) International Meeting, 3 Marshals on post.
IO, Flag and brand new Recruit.

1) Checked with Race Control to find no Observer due (or Incident forms).
Ok, no problem. I will get a pad from the next post.
2) Which head do I wear when I have an incident, IO or OBs?
3) New recruit shadows me but cannot go out to the incident alone.
4) I want to train this new Marshal.

I can deal with these problems, but Communication before arrival on post would be a good thing.

Now ask yourself what the new recruit thought of that?
Also, what a shame to have to Red Flag a great race because of a minor incident!

*Please note* I am not moaning, just trying to get more Marshals at meetings
Old 6 Aug 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2517024)   #85
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
New recruit on the post notice my grade badge (X-Observer) says " oh your not an Observer any more then?"
Old 7 Aug 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2517321)   #86
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
MADMAX, if incident happens, pass yellow to new recruit so flag marshal can go to incident,also recruit feels useful while you phone it in.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2522895)   #87
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say that I had reduced the number of days that I have done this year but that is more down to lack of spare money more than bad marshaling experiences. What has made me appreciate the Marshaling family more is I have recently split up with my wife so have been at circuits more weekends of late.
I call it my marshaling family as the support and friendship I have experienced whilst out on the bank has really helped me keep my head together. To me marshaling is now about more than motorsport and i thank the guys out on the bank that have helped me get through this time.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2523866)   #88
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bill & I have both cut down on the number of days we do over the last couple of years. Although this is mainly due to age creeping up on us, we are finding that, apart from the "must do's" on the calendar, the remainder depends on either the circuit or the club.

Oulton Park and Mallory remain favourites because of the facilities (although I had to use the Gents at the HSCC at Mallory). Silverstone can be a problem because you're so distant from the rest of the "team" when on the flag point. Did Rockingham for the first time in years earlier on and, apart from getting no lunch to eat (we were in a hotel so banking on buying at the circuit), they have definitely improved. Can't comment on Donington because I haven't been there yet this year.

Running joke is always that a marshal is never happy - "too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, too still, too windy, etc but one thing I do need to know is that I can sort out bodily needs (is that polite enough).

I remember my first meeting at Druids at Oulton Park - things involved a huge crater in the ground and everybody else turning their backs, but then pulling me out! Don't tell me that things haven't improved!!!!!!

The other thing I would really like is for more realistic timetables, especially somewhere like Silverstone GP circuit. Please remember that once the chequered flag goes out you've got the whole field to go round to take the flag and then the whole field to drive around to go back into the pits/paddock. Add on any recoveries and do you really think that 10mins is sufficient? Especially when that 10mins includes the green flag lap for the following race. It ain't rocket science.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2524437)   #89
The_Viper
Rookie

United Kingdom
The_Viper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only been marshalling just over a year.
I go to the meetings that interest me, irrespective of which club is running them.
I accept that:
I'm exposed to whatever weather occurs that day;
I may or may not get a lunch break.

My general impression from this first year is that there are alot of politics involved between clubs, circuits and individuals which can spoil my day if there is an opinionated marshal with me. I'm not interested in the politics.

I marshal to watch the racing and undertake my marshals duties whatever they may be.

The only aspect I would like to see improved are the marshals camping facilities - and with only a few exceptions this seems to apply to most circuits. Nothing fancy, just easy/close access to toilets and showers.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2524920)   #90
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
Viper, well said!!
Old 20 Aug 2009, 10:25 (Ref:2524943)   #91
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yeh well said..
Old 20 Aug 2009, 11:23 (Ref:2524964)   #92
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure about other circuits but Silverstone is definately improving for marshals. We now have a permanent campsite, with toilets & showers close by. Plus portaloos are starting to be placed by the more remote posts. Thankyou Penny
Old 22 Aug 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2525939)   #93
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've re-read my earlier post and it unfortunately sounds more like a whinge than what I really meant.

Most circuits have definitely improved over the 20 years I've been marshalling and I cannot fault MSVR on what they have done for us since taking over.

My biggest "must" is toilet facilities within easy reach and these days that really is no problem (compared to when I started!) but off to Donington tomorrow for the first time this year ...... an ADVENTURE!
Old 22 Aug 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2525952)   #94
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
I've re-read my earlier post and it unfortunately sounds more like a whinge than what I really meant.
Don't worry, we know you'd never whinge!