Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Jun 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3090892)   #76
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pit and Paddock

A few Pit and Paddock shots:-
Attached Thumbnails
HSCCASPORT3HOURS9June2012 001wb.jpg   HSCCASPORT3HOURS9June2012 019wb.jpg   HSCCASPORT3HOURS9June2012 032wb.jpg  

HSCCASPORT3HOURS9June2012 040wb.jpg   HSCCASPORT3HOURS9June2012 072wb.jpg   HSCCASPORT3HOURS9June2012 073wb.jpg  

Old 14 Jun 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3091041)   #77
JBarrettCommentator
Rookie

JBarrettCommentator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saloons

Here is the first Historic Saloon race, which includes Mr Slater's Anglia crash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Is3WYFFRUA&feature=youtu.be
Old 15 Jun 2012, 08:46 (Ref:3091307)   #78
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 1 - Classic Clubmans

Starters - 15
Classified - 14

Just got to the circuit in time to snap a few pics of this 20 minute race which was led most of the way by Ray Mallock (18 - Mallock Mk18b) but he was caught and passed by John Harrison's Mk21 (no pic, I'm afraid). The Class B was won by Clive Woods (50 -Mk20B) who finished 6th overall.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3714wb.jpg   IMG_3729wb.jpg   IMG_3730wb.jpg  

IMG_3737wb.jpg   IMG_3744wb.jpg   IMG_3755wb.jpg  

Old 16 Jun 2012, 08:34 (Ref:3091796)   #79
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 2 - Historic Road Sports

Starters - 21
Classified - 21

A 15 minute race which featured some great dicing including that for the lead with the Lotus Elan of Peter Shaw (5) holding Paul Toombs (1) at bay for several laps whilst Andy Shepherd (69 - Lotus 7 S2) worked hard to get on terms with them. Toombs finally took this one, and Shepherd, posting the fastest lap of the race caught and passed Shaw, to get within 3/4 second of Paul by the end of the race. Elans were 1,3,4,7,9,10 with Ginetta G4's in 5, 6, the only 'big' car interloper being the Mustang (17) of Adam Simmonds finishing 8th.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3789wb.jpg   IMG_3801wb.jpg   IMG_3811wb.jpg  

IMG_3823wb.jpg   IMG_3854wb.jpg   IMG_3903wb.jpg  

Old 16 Jun 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3091798)   #80
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 - 70's Road Sports

Starters - 18
Classified - 17

I'm afraid I missed Race 3 for the 70's roadsports, sponsored by Evans Coolants, but 18 cars started and 17 finished. It looks as though there was a great tussle up front between Richard Plant in the Morgan Plus 8 and Julian Barter in his faithful old TVR 3000M, best lap times being extremely close with Plant taking the flag by just over half a second. A distant 3rd was Charles Barter who's association with his Datsun 240Z goes back even further. Anyone got any pics of this race?

Last edited by John Turner; 17 Jun 2012 at 07:50.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3091813)   #81
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Camera working OK John ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Jun 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3091830)   #82
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Indeed it is Gordon, thanks!
Old 17 Jun 2012, 07:59 (Ref:3093254)   #83
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 4 - Historic F3

Starters - 14
Classified - 11

A disappointing entry for this 20 minute race, to be honest, but Nigel Bancroft (48 - Chevron B17) stayed around to have some fun with the flamboyant Stuart Tizzard (7 - Chevron B15C) clearly enjoying his newfound single seater racing, before he pushed off to win by over 11 seconds. In turn Tizzard was a further 16 seconds clear of Tim Kary (60 - Brabham BT28). Just a few shots snatched from the commentary box steps:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3913wb.jpg   IMG_3918wb.jpg   IMG_3919wb.jpg  

IMG_3920wb.jpg   IMG_3922wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Jul 2012 at 08:20. Reason: Spelling!
Old 17 Jun 2012, 08:26 (Ref:3093285)   #84
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 5 - Historic Road Sports Handicap

Starters - 19
Classified - 18

I believe this is the first time HSCC have tried this, where the slowest started at the front and the quickest at the back. It certainly provided plenty of (safe) overtaking and good fun by all accounts, although I don't think I'd want to try it at somewhere like Cadwell! Anyway, the 15 minute race was won by Andy Shepherd (69 - Lotus 7 S2) from Patrick Ward-Booth's Ginetta G4 (32) and Adam Simmonds Ford Mustang (3). Paul Toombs had crossed the line first, albeit in the pitlane following some sort of flag mix up and was hit with a big time penalty so was classified 8th. Not clear on all that, but since Paul is a poster here, I hope he feels inclined to clarify at some stage!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3931wb.jpg   IMG_3937wb.jpg   IMG_3947wb.jpg  

IMG_3969wb.jpg   IMG_3993wb.jpg   IMG_4013wb.jpg  

Old 17 Jun 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3093288)   #85
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 6 - 70's Road Sports

Starters - 16
Classified - 15

I don't have a problem with the 70's Road Sports, 'onest Guv' but I missed this one too, so no pics again from me. No doubt busy talking and catching up with people in the pit/paddock area. However, the finishing order was as per Race 3. Again, a request for pics of this race, please.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 09:40 (Ref:3093365)   #86
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Autosport 3 Hours

Starters - 27
Classified - 21

This really ought to have had some more runners, at least in the mid to high 30's I'd have thought, but it was an interesting and varied grid and certainly provided plenty of spectacle. Nick Fleming, on pole, was, barring mishap, always the favourite but it was good to see a pair of Ginetta G16s take the fight to him rather than the usual gaggle of Chevrons, not that we were short of those. The first batch of pics shows the course car pulling in and the build up to the rolling start followed by a couple of pics of the first lap. The pattern of the race at the front, was more or less set at the end of that first lap with Fleming (42) in the lead with the Dodd G16 (45) paying close attention. They were already clear with only the Lotus 23B (36) of Newall and Garside, bursting through from the third row, attempting to stay in touch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4024wb.jpg   IMG_4025wb.jpg   IMG_4029wb.jpg  

IMG_4030wb.jpg   IMG_4034wb.jpg   IMG_4064wb.jpg  

Old 17 Jun 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3093664)   #87
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Paul Toombs had crossed the line first, albeit in the pitlane following some sort of flag mix up and was hit with a big time penalty so was classified 8th. Not clear on all that, but since Paul is a poster here, I hope he feels inclined to clarify at some stage!
If I understand it correctly, Paul and the Frogeye that was starting at the same time (albeit the latter a lap 'ahead') went off 30 secs too early - at the briefing the handicapper had said that he would flag off a batch even if no-one had turned up for it, and I suspect this is what happened, Paul and the Frogeye going when the flag dropped on an 'empty-batch'! Is that right Paul?

Not being mean to Paul, who would probably have cantered to the win again even if he had started at the correct time, but I was pleased to see someone else getting the win, and especially to see two other good supporters of the Championship over the years, Patrick and Adam, getting onto the podium. Don't take that the wrong way Paul, I'm sure you'll be back on the top step next time!

It's the first time I've ever seen a Handicap race and I thought it was great fun, considering the lack of data for the handicapper to work with for some of us who've not been out much recently I think he did a great job. It was fun being chased down (i guess it would be even more fun doing the chasing!), and the last couple of laps were hilarious, very busy. I hope it gets repeated; the spectators enjoyed it apparently, with a large contingent willing Stephen Bee's Volvo to the finish, but he was caught with just half a lap to go! I wouldn't want to see this form a Championship round, and I think it only suits certain venues, and probably not full grids - but I'd very happily sign up for another one.

James
Old 17 Jun 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3093744)   #88
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentley Drivers Club run a couple of handicap races at their Silverstone meeting in August. A great laugh with all sorts of cars taking part. Highly recommeded for a fun meeting.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 17 Jun 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3093759)   #89
JBarrettCommentator
Rookie

JBarrettCommentator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saloons

The second historic saloons race of the weekend...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z1B6...&feature=g-upl
Old 17 Jun 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3093794)   #90
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for putting up the videos of the saloons - it is great to see it from a different view rather than my in car! Very good..
Old 18 Jun 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3093968)   #91
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Autosport 3 Hours (1st hour).

We had two course car periods in the first hour. The first after only two laps when the lovely old Reliant Sabre Six dropped all its coolant and again after about 11 laps for a reason that now escapes me. A few more pics from this period:-

1) 90 - E Type -Newman/Newman

2) 28 - MGB - Smith/Boyes/Boyes

3) 88 - Elva Mk8 - Twyman/Wright. This was Gary Wright's first race, and in a car owned by Roger Wills, who was sadly absent, no doubt preparing for his Le Mans Drive. Joe and Gary were to finish 6th, very creditable under the circumstances.

4) 91 - Lotus Elan 26R - Fleming/Jones

5) 5 - E Type - Bergs/Denty. This was generally the quicker of the two E-types, running. As we know the 3rd, that of 10-Tenthers Colin McKay and Iain Rowley were sadly unable fill their entry for reasons previously discussed.

6) 56 - Porsche 356A - Wright/Clark/Sumpter. The 1958 Porsche was the oldest car in the race, and also the slowest, but on consisitency it held its own with some of the later cars, particularly when driven by Mark Sumpter, used to driving much quicker and later Porsches. The car was beautifully prepared and presented.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4099wb.jpg   IMG_4100wb.jpg   IMG_4103wb.jpg  

IMG_4120wb.jpg   IMG_4121wb.jpg   IMG_4132wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Jun 2012 at 07:25.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 08:35 (Ref:3093976)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John, I think you mean the Autosport 3 hours?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3093978)   #93
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Autosport 3 Hours (1st hour) (2).

1) 63 - TVR Grantura MkIII - Wolfe/Thompson

2) 28 & 39 - MGBs, the latter, the Eaton/Mcleod car

3) 8 - Elva Mk7S - Malone/Hall
61 - Chevroin B8 - Ward/Diffey

4) 25 - Chevron B8 - Lillingstone-Price/Lyons
36 - Lotus 23B - Newall/Garside - it had started to drop back a little after its excellent start but it retained its lead in the SRB class.

5) 16 - Chevron B8 - Nelson/Methley

6) 48 (in the middle) is the Elva Mk7S - Durling/Stretton
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4151wb.jpg   IMG_4155wb.jpg   IMG_4174wb.jpg  

IMG_4195wb.jpg   IMG_4226wb.jpg   IMG_4235wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Jun 2012 at 07:26.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3094061)   #94
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JT - Thanks for more great pictures, it's good to see you out there.

The handicap race itself was a complete hoot.

I have no defence for setting off 20s early; I simply didn't hear the hadicapper say that they would flag off empty rows.

I am sorry to have gone off prematurely (I thought I’d got over that years ago), but after sitting for a couple of minutes, when an official points at you and drops a flag it is hard not to go. As soon as I dropped the clutch I realized that I should have ignored it and waited, but it was too late by then. The ensuing laps were terrific fun – trying to chase people down and then pass respectfully was just great. And I thoroughly enjoyed being able to throw the car around rather than protect a position.

Just before the end I was shown a stop and go penalty board so I came into the pits at first opportunity to ensure there was no confusion (I didn't want to benefit from my mistake if it had gone unnoticed anyway). I was then handed additionally a 10s penalty, plus the 20s time added plus I was told that on this occasion I wouldn't get points on my licence (would have been rather harsh!).

From my perspective the handicapping was probably about right.
Had I gone at the right time I think I would have come up just short, but then Andy Shephard was driving that little Seven well beyond its intended rev range, Patrick was smooth as ever in his G4 and Adam’s Mustang is bloody quick down the straights. So, well done to the handicapper, and I’m told by people watching that it was quite exciting from their perspective.

I would definitely be up for doing something like that again – once or twice a year sounds about right.

I agree with James that it is good to get some fresh faces on the podium. I chose to race an Elan because it can be right up the front. But for others who are relatively speaking doing just as well in winning their competitive classes, there is very little recognition. The handicap races do give that opportunity.

Paul
Old 19 Jun 2012, 07:30 (Ref:3094609)   #95
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Great post, Paul, and thanks for clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
John, I think you mean the Autosport 3 hours?
I don't know what you mean (taking a leaf out of your Book!!).
Old 19 Jun 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3094611)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I saw what you did there.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:22 (Ref:3094639)   #97
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Autosport 3 Hours (1st hour) (3).

At the end of the First hour, the order was:-

1) 42 - Chevron B8 - Nick Fleming - 25 laps
2) 93 - Ginetta G16 -George Douglas/Luke Stevens - 25 laps
3) 45 - Ginetta G16 - James & Graeme Dodd - 25 laps
4) 5 - Jaguar E type - Klaus Bergs/James Denty - 25 laps (but yet to stop)
5) 48 - Elva Mk7S - William Durling/Martin Stretton - 25 laps ( " " " ")
6) 25 - Chevron B8 - Chris Lillingstone-Price/Timothy Lyons - 24 laps

A few more pics:-

1) The Battling G16s
2) 41 - Lenham P69 Spyder - Casey/McMollom
3) 42 - Fleming, although wary of the pursuing Ginettas, seemed to have the race under control
4) 31 - Porsche 911 - Chappell/Gaymond/Monk
5) 10 - MGB - Bechtolsheimer/Bianchi/Bianchi - Pitted early on with what I believe was a driveshaft failure but repaired and returned to the fray
6) 52 - Merlyn Mk6A - Daws/Daws - another with early woes
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4259wb.jpg   IMG_4281wb.jpg   IMG_4291wb.jpg  

IMG_4294wb.jpg   IMG_4301wb.jpg   IMG_4309wb.jpg  

Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:34 (Ref:3094647)   #98
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Autosport 3 Hours - heading into 2nd hour

1) 50 - Lotus Elan - Brooks/Brooks
2) 6 - Chevron B6 - Thompson/Woolston/McLurg - clearly had problems, lying 26th at the end of the first hour and finished 19th
3) 33 - Rawlson CR6 - Hicks/Deeley/Shepherd - Good to see this interesting car out, running pretty well in the first hour with it's early 908 style front end, sadly it was not to get a trouble free run to the flag
4) 56 - Porsche 356A again
5) 39 - Eaton/Mcleod MGB again
6) 52 - Merlyn Mk6A again!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4328wb.jpg   IMG_4330wb.jpg   IMG_4363wb.jpg  

IMG_4368wb.jpg   IMG_4378wb.jpg   IMG_4381wb.jpg  

Old 20 Jun 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3095303)   #99
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Autosport 3 Hours - 2nd hour

1) 48 - Elva Mk7S - Durling/Stretton, in 5th at end of first hour and maintaining a good competitive pace into the second
2) 7 - Healey 3000 - Andrew Hill and Harry Wyndham gave a very good account of themselves and the car was lying 7th at the end of the first hour, but hadn't stopped at that point. It was to drop down the order a little during the second hour but nevertheless took over the lead of the C2 class in this period when the leading E-type hit trouble
3) 88 - again - 14th at the end of the first hour but improving steadily in the second
4) Fleming lapping an MGB in Coram
5) The Rawlson again!
6) 66 - The Sabre Six 6GT, a car that many of you know I have a soft spot for, having owned a couple, eventually got back on track after its early dramas and although it had completed only 5 laps at the end of the first hour, it seemed to run well from then on, completing a further 20 laps by the end of the second hour. Driven by Condliffe/Condliffe/Daniels.

Probably my only post on this thread today, as I'm busy, busy!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4411wb.jpg   IMG_4412wb.jpg   IMG_4414wb.jpg  

IMG_4424wb.jpg   IMG_4428wb.jpg   IMG_4436wb.jpg  

Old 21 Jun 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3095815)   #100
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Autosport 3 Hours - 2nd hour (2)

At the end of the second hour, the order was

1) 42 - Chevron B8 - Fleming - 49 laps
2) 45 - Ginetta G16 - Dodd/Dodd - 49 laps
3) 93 - Ginetta G16 - Douglas/Stevens - 49 laps
4) 48 - Elva Mk7S - Durling/Stretton - 47 laps
5) 41 - Lenham P69 - Casey/McCollom - 47 laps
6) 6 - Elva Mk7S - Malone/Hall - 46 laps

To those who regard this as a Chevron dominated event, note that top 6 and there was only one other in the top 12 at this point. The Ginettas had swapped places and only 13 seconds covered the first 3 although since Nick was capable, if pressed, of lapping around 1.5 seconds quicker than the Ginettas, he still had control of the race. The Newall/Garside Lotus 23 had risen to 8th, and the Brooks/Brooks Elan (50) had moved into the lead of the B1 class and was lying 9th overall. The E types were in 16th and 17th, and so it was that their class (C2) was now led by the Wyndham/Hill Healey 3000, in a fine 10th overall. In 14th place, leading the B2 class, albeit by only a small margin was the MGB (39) of Eaton/Macleod.

More pics. The 25 car is the Lillingstone-Price/Lyons B8, lying 13th at the end of the 2nd hour:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4440wb.jpg   IMG_4444wb.jpg   IMG_4464wb.jpg  

IMG_4481wb.jpg   IMG_4521wb.jpg   IMG_4621wb.jpg