Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3172161)   #76
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
When you look back over just the last 25 years, you will see that most teams won at least twice on the trot, and anything up to four or five times on the trot!

We aren't witnessing anything new. In fact you can say that, for F1, it's all completely normal.
I was looking at this more from a driver's perspective rather than from purely a team perspective.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 11:56 (Ref:3172176)   #77
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I was looking at this more from a driver's perspective rather than from purely a team perspective.
Well, there's not much that you can do about that. In the very recent past, pitting two so-called 'head-strong' drivers against each other, in the same team, hasn't really worked (McLaren, 2007). F1 isn't what it used to be, when the likes of a very dominant Williams or McLaren could stick two 'head-strong' drivers in their cars, and still easily come out on top without some other driver sneaking up on them to win the drivers championship.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3172179)   #78
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It didn't always work for Williams either!
Old 27 Nov 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3172347)   #79
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
But Red Bull will still have Newey, so surely it's already game over? Were you being sarcastic I wonder?
Are you being sarcastic? No doubting Newey's a great constructor!
Old 28 Nov 2012, 11:47 (Ref:3172524)   #80
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It didn't always work for Williams either!
Or for McLaren in '89.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3172555)   #81
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Are you being sarcastic? No doubting Newey's a great constructor!
Indeed. No sarcasm required.

Quote:
Or for McLaren in '89.
Well, the point is that a 'McLaren' driver won the title during a run of four titles on the trot for them. It matters not to them which driver won it. If Felipe had won the title for Ferrari on Sunday, they would have been just as overjoyed about it. It only mattered that, in 89, McLaren had a dominant enough car to allow their drivers to race, and that's never ever a given in today's F1.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 17:21 (Ref:3172653)   #82
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Or for McLaren in '89.
1-2 in the WDC and winning WCC?
'86 with Williams was a miss.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 20:37 (Ref:3172723)   #83
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
People thought that Schumacher's records would never be challenged but maybe they will be. He still has a long way to go, but it's not impossible
Old 28 Nov 2012, 22:15 (Ref:3172773)   #84
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
People thought that Schumacher's records would never be challenged but maybe they will be. He still has a long way to go, but it's not impossible
No, but definitely not likely. Could Kimi perhaps win a world championship? Probably even more likely if they don't sign Massa again and Kimi eventually moves back to Ferrari.

I think it's Jenson's year next year, to be honest.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3172784)   #85
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
You just have to look at Alonso's lack of titles since his last to see how things can dry up if you don't have the car or you don't take your chances. He could have 4, even 5, but only has two. To win as many titles as Schumacher did you have to get it right so many times. It's difficult. Vettel's not even halfway there, regarding the titles!

The pole record will probably go though.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3172807)   #86
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
You just have to look at Alonso's lack of titles since his last to see how things can dry up if you don't have the car or you don't take your chances. He could have 4, even 5, but only has two. To win as many titles as Schumacher did you have to get it right so many times. It's difficult. Vettel's not even halfway there, regarding the titles!

The pole record will probably go though.
Maybe he'll get another!

With this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...ose-title.html

I understood that stewards' decisions could not be appealed!
Old 29 Nov 2012, 01:03 (Ref:3172866)   #87
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
You appear to have come across a Daily Mail article.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 02:36 (Ref:3172891)   #88
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

I understood that stewards' decisions could not be appealed!
The important thing to understand here is that this was something that the stewards missed on FOM footage, and was picked up on other (SKY?) onboard footage. The overtake on the STR was the only illegal move, but the stewards didn't see it. But Vettel should have seen the yellow lights on his dash...................
Old 29 Nov 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3173017)   #89
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The important thing to understand here is that this was something that the stewards missed on FOM footage, and was picked up on other (SKY?) onboard footage. The overtake on the STR was the only illegal move, but the stewards didn't see it. But Vettel should have seen the yellow lights on his dash...................
Thanks Marbot but apparently not as per developments on the other thread ....Hopefully!
Old 29 Nov 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3173099)   #90
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Thanks Marbot but apparently not as per developments on the other thread ....Hopefully!
No. Unlike the ROTW, Vettel saw a green flag.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3173209)   #91
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
No, but definitely not likely. Could Kimi perhaps win a world championship? Probably even more likely if they don't sign Massa again and Kimi eventually moves back to Ferrari.
Didn't Kimi recently say words to the effect that he was glad to have seen the back of Ferrari?
Old 29 Nov 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3173245)   #92
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Didn't Kimi recently say words to the effect that he was glad to have seen the back of Ferrari?
This Mr V?

http://www.jacarandafm.com/kagiso/co...-leave-Ferrari

Good summary of why I believe Vettel will never end up at Ferrari! Hamilton would hate it too.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 22:31 (Ref:3173249)   #93
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
This Mr V?

http://www.jacarandafm.com/kagiso/co...-leave-Ferrari

Good summary of why I believe Vettel will never end up at Ferrari! Hamilton would hate it too.
Well the Ferrari faster. You can't care too much to the effect of how personal things are going in the team. Who cares? Just race... in my opinion. To me, I still don't see a definitive answer to why Kimi would not move to Ferrari. Faster, perhaps even more reliable... seems a no-brainer to me.

I guess I don't understand in-team politics. Why would Hamilton leave Mercedes? Well, I don't think there was much meaning behind it. Whatever Hamilton might say, the solid fact is that the Mercedes cars are slower than the McLarens, by far. Look at the difference in Interlagos and the rest of the F1 calendar.

It's about racing, not about chit-chatting and social comfort.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3173256)   #94
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
That is why they dumped Schu for Kimi, and Kimi for Alonso, and broke Massa's gearbox seal in Brazil?
Just racing, no politics.
Old 30 Nov 2012, 02:27 (Ref:3173345)   #95
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
That is why they dumped Schu for Kimi, and Kimi for Alonso, and broke Massa's gearbox seal in Brazil?
Just racing, no politics.
I'm not saying THEY'RE right. I'm saying they shouldn't. And it shouldn't matter. Sabotaging cars is not legal in Formula 1... yet teams find ways to get around it. But what did Ferrari ever do to Kimi? What massive point am I missing here?
Old 30 Nov 2012, 02:43 (Ref:3173353)   #96
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not saying THEY'RE right. I'm saying they shouldn't. And it shouldn't matter. Sabotaging cars is not legal in Formula 1... yet teams find ways to get around it. But what did Ferrari ever do to Kimi? What massive point am I missing here?
Paid him a years gardening leave to get Alonso in his seat!
Old 30 Nov 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3173500)   #97
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
1-2 in the WDC and winning WCC?
'86 with Williams was a miss.
I'm well aware of what McLaren achieved, I was thinking more on the lines of the tension between Prost and Senna and that it culminated in a far from perfect end to an otherwise excellent season.
Old 30 Nov 2012, 13:41 (Ref:3173514)   #98
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well the Ferrari faster. You can't care too much to the effect of how personal things are going in the team. Who cares? Just race... in my opinion. To me, I still don't see a definitive answer to why Kimi would not move to Ferrari. Faster, perhaps even more reliable... seems a no-brainer to me.

I guess I don't understand in-team politics. Why would Hamilton leave Mercedes? Well, I don't think there was much meaning behind it. Whatever Hamilton might say, the solid fact is that the Mercedes cars are slower than the McLarens, by far. Look at the difference in Interlagos and the rest of the F1 calendar.

Racing is just like any other job. If you aren't completely happy, if there are things on your mind, then you will struggle and probably want to move away.

It's like when people say footballers shouldn't be unhappy and depressed because they are paid ludicrous money. When in actual fact, a footballer is more prone than most to mental troughs. Actually, all professional sportsmen.
Old 30 Nov 2012, 13:45 (Ref:3173521)   #99
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
'Mental troughs' - I like that. but it's not just pro sportspeople who get those - they should try some of our jobs for a few days......
Old 30 Nov 2012, 15:22 (Ref:3173568)   #100
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well my point was that we are all susceptible to these things and that people too readily say that sportspeople should be perfect at all times because they have money.

If I am working with people I hate then money or what I can achieve within that company isn't even a consideration eventually, I just want out. It is sustainable for a finite amount of time but eventually you just get dragged down. No different with your footballers or racing drivers.