Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 22 Dec 2002, 11:17 (Ref:455384)   #76
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news, my condolences to Will's family and friends.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 11:21 (Ref:455389)   #77
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My condolences to Will's family at such a sad time.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 11:24 (Ref:455393)   #78
Mocko
Rookie

Mocko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
A few, very few, make you sit down with a genuine feeling of loss, and Will is in that category.

You are too right. I feel so unfortunate not to have met him but I still feel deeply saddened and with a feeling of loss.

But this just makes you wonder the huge devastation the family and fiends must have felt. It's such a cruel way for him to be taken away.

The photo that was posted earlier was really good.

It's good to hear from Mike Smith that he passed away painlessly and peacefully. Goodbye Will, you shall not be forgotten.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 11:43 (Ref:455406)   #79
Morcilman
Racer

Spain
Spain
Morcilman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he was the spirit of the BTCC, there are not drivers like him. It was a pleasure to see him racing and talking. he will be missed...
Old 22 Dec 2002, 16:19 (Ref:455556)   #80
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was visiting races as a Little kiddy, years ago, Will was one of those people who made you feel special at your first race, by just being welcoming, acknowledging and always willing to show his appreciation to a fan for their support.

He was very much a person who was appreciated by people Young and Old not only for his racing but for his personality.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 17:57 (Ref:455600)   #81
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I couldn't believe it when i heard this news, a sad day for Motor racing. Will was a genuine nice guy who always had time for the fans and marshals. I remember marshalling at Snet two years ago for the Touring cars. I was at the Esses on the Friday night practice session. Will came down to film for the BBC. He took time to come over and chat with us and was there for ages, joking about some of the antics of the Fiestsa that were on track.
He always acknowledged the marshals at the end of a race and if you walked by his garage he always said hi. A great driver who will be sorely missed at race tracks around the country.

Steve B
Old 22 Dec 2002, 19:14 (Ref:455655)   #82
pauloak10
Rookie

pauloak10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Behalf of the BRSCC East Anglian Centre please accept our deepest sympathy
Old 22 Dec 2002, 19:57 (Ref:455688)   #83
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were tears in the kitchen when I relayed the sad news to my wife who as a pit marshall was involved with the BTCC through out most of Will's racing. She saw the brighter side of a wonderful gentleman, no matter what age he would always have a happy word for everyone. The other side of Will we know was when he was a "trainee" rally driver on the Great Orme stage of the Cambrian Rally. A truly wonderful man & will be sadly missed. Our condolences to his wife and family & close friends at this sad time.
Tony & the Pits Dragon
Old 22 Dec 2002, 20:27 (Ref:455695)   #84
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Very sad indeed, condolences to all involved with Will be it, family, friends, drivers, teams, marshalls and fans
Old 22 Dec 2002, 22:48 (Ref:455761)   #85
andybee
Rookie

andybee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very sad to hear of Will. I met him on a couple of occasions, years ago when he was with Toyota, and like most people hear found him as the perfect gentlemen, and always having time available, which is seldom found in the pit lane. A "real" racer as well. Top guy

A true ambassador to touring cars, rest in peace Will. You wont be forgotten, thats for sure

Last edited by andybee; 22 Dec 2002 at 22:49.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 01:05 (Ref:455857)   #86
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yesterday was the first time I have been in a situation where a group of friends have spontaneously decided to hold a minute's silence. It was very moving.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 07:59 (Ref:455986)   #87
bestetti26
Rookie

bestetti26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace
Old 23 Dec 2002, 14:06 (Ref:456145)   #88
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Wills site the funeral is 2.30pm today, if you read this in time think of Will, and his family.

Today hearing about Joe Strummer so soon after Will, I feel exactly the same as when Senna and Kurt Cobain went in a short space of time - namely why do people have to go before their time like this? The only comfort , then as know is what they have left us, their legacy. Reading thru all of the above posts, Will left us so much.

God speed Will.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 14:45 (Ref:456168)   #89
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gutted..............no other words than that....
Old 23 Dec 2002, 16:34 (Ref:456234)   #90
menufan123
Rookie

menufan123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will

Im deeply saddend by wills death. Ive watched him race since 1991 and meet him in 1996 in the pit lane walk about on the top of a laguna and he was smashing bloke that didnt mind talking to anyone. My fondest memory was in 1998 when he found himself in the lead in silverstone rnd 3 and me and my dad were the only people cheering will on in a Vauxhall and Nissan hospitallty area in a Luffield grandstand. He was a sensational chap that i wont ever forget and its the biggest loss for the BTCC.

My best wishes to his family and friends and this hard time.

Rest in peace Will Hoy
Old 23 Dec 2002, 17:35 (Ref:456261)   #91
stickycompound
Rookie

stickycompound should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At 7.30pm on Thursday 19th December 2002, Will lost his fight against a malignant brain tumour. He passed away with no pain. Today at 2.30pm in London a gathering of Will's family and closest friends bade farewell at a small celebration of his life. Attendees included Sir Frank Williams, Jody Scheckter, Richard Lloyd, Bill Wykeham, Ray Bellm, and Will's 2002 protege Andy Priaulx. Will's daughter read from the Bible, Mike Smith spoke in praise of Will's life and the small congregation sang Jerusalem and Lord of the Dance. Mike Batt directed the music which included a soprano and trumpet rendition of Handel's Let the Bright Seraphim. Best wishes for Christmas from the family of the "Hoyboy".
Old 23 Dec 2002, 18:12 (Ref:456278)   #92
Sherman
Racer

Sherman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe it! He was only 50, which isnt exactly old. He was always one of my favourite racers. Its the speed of the thing that I cant comprehend-he was commentating just a few months ago-now, gone.....awful news
Old 23 Dec 2002, 20:06 (Ref:456365)   #93
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive only just found out this news today ,...i am totally shocked . My thoughts go out to everyone that was close to such a nice man......I know how quickly these things can develop , me and my wife went through exactly the same thing last October when her mother was diagnosed with a brain tuma .....and she passed away at the end of January this year........
Old 24 Dec 2002, 04:50 (Ref:456575)   #94
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, I hope Thommo, Muller, Rydell and other Touring Car drivers can come to Hoy's funeral. I don't know Will Hoy very well in touring car racing, but I know more than now and remember the touring car video game that has his name in it.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 07:39 (Ref:456628)   #95
John Reeves
Rookie

John Reeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So sad. I had the priviledge of meeting Will some time ago and it will be a memory I will always treasure. He did bring so much pleasure to so many of us with both his racing skill and his charm as a person. He will indeed be missed. My condolences go out to his family and friends at this very sad time. Thank you Will for the pleasure you brought to so many. RIP Will. God speed.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 16:34 (Ref:456852)   #96
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still can't believe the sad news my friends told me at the weekend.

Will was one of those truly nice guys, who will never be forgotten.

RIP Will Hoy.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 17:17 (Ref:456891)   #97
argybargy
Rookie

argybargy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Hoy

I have only just heard the shocking news about Will.
For me,he was the archetypal British racing driver - a tough competitor on the track, but gracious in the paddock. He set an example for others to follow.
He was obviously greatly respected by his fellow drivers and tremendously popular with the fans. He will be sorely missed.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 20:33 (Ref:456982)   #98
martinparsons
Racer

martinparsons should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just so sad, a great british driver.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 11:18 (Ref:458076)   #99
calcium
Racer

calcium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just so sad, condolences to all his family and friends.

Goodbye Will, rest in peace.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 13:15 (Ref:458155)   #100
daz90
Racer

England
England
daz90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very sad news my condolences to his family.

will was a great racer and a great bloke he will be sadly missed.