Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2003, 14:19 (Ref:663939)   #76
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
Whatever, i can't be bothered to explain when others explained it perfectly.

It's not my fault that some people just don't want to understand.
Well, I have been participating in this thread and I haven´t come across one post that explains why Minardi has a raison d´ etre in F1 and Toyota hasn´t. I have tried to explain my point, and you are not obliged to agree.

Be that as it may, I still ask myself how people can slag off Toyota for not having the right motives (whatever those may be), yet love to watch Minardi just being part of the grid, without contributing anything to the spectacle that F1 and racing in general is, or could and should be anyway.

You question my interest in racing because I see more potential in Toyota as to provide that racing. How can that be?

Shouldn´t it be the other way around? Shouldn´t I question your interest in racing, since you obviously feel Minardi, a team that really never fulfilled anyones racing needs, is a more genuine team than Toyota is?

Why do people love Minardi for trying, without ever succeeding, yet slagg off Toyota for trying and actually gaining some potential for success? Success has always been more or less a question of money. Minardi doesn´t have any, Toyota does. Great for them, bad for Minardi.

Sure Toyota hasn´t got any F1 history, but come on, we all have to start somewhere.

Or in other words, how can I see, if I watch the cars and the drivers to their racingthing, that one is competing out of passion and one out of commercial interest? I can´t.

It´s all a matter of perception, but lets be honest here. What really matters are the teams that actually provide the racing. Racing at the top, racing in midfield, or racing in lower field. I don´t care, racing is racing no matter what the stakes are.

If I´d have to point out an inferior team, I would point out the team that hasn´t been equiped enough to compete for quite some time now. I certainly wouldn´t point out the team that is equiped and budgetted enough to compete, yet has commercial motives in stead of sportinglike motives. When motives don´t show ontrack, who cares about motives when all you want to see is racing??

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 17 Jul 2003 at 14:23.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 14:32 (Ref:663952)   #77
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Toyota's "MO" is to spend whatever it takes then they are doing nting but behaving in the most F1 way possible. Like it or not, money talks. Fortunately it still takes a lot more than financial clout to succeed in F1 - look at BAR.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 14:48 (Ref:663972)   #78
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
I am a fanatic for a reason though.
Dont all Fanatics believe that though? :confused:

Honda are a great team, and at this stage get more of my rooting than Toyota. But I'm glad Toyota are here, and I hope they, like all the teams get moments in the sun.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 14:59 (Ref:663988)   #79
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least Toyota F1 management has been structured in such a way as to allow progress to happen. We are all familiar with the previous ownership/responsibilities scenario at BAR, which did not allow the changes that were necessary to move forward.

If you were to go up to the Toyota engineers and mechanics slugging away in the paddock, and accuse them of having no passion or commitment for the sport, I can guess the reaction you'd get. Perhaps that passion doesn't reach all the way to the boardroom, but you'd never know, since it's buried under a huge pile of cash. You can't blame them for using their resources, even if you hate their methods in other forms of racing. Luckily these methods would are less effective in F1, where Bernie's in control.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 16:41 (Ref:664094)   #80
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is good.

I dont want Toyota to leave F1. I dont like their way of doing things but it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. Maybe I sounded like I wanted them to go live under a rock. Thats not the case. Its just that they are coming into F1 as though they are angels when they are not.

As for me being a fanatic, we all are fanatics here. Where did the word "fan" come from? It may seem like a milder from of fanaticism but it all boils down to the same thing.

I do not believe that Ford, Renault, Honda nor Toyota are in F1 to stay. I feel that if Toyota cant win they will cheat and then leave. I feel that Honda will push till they win and as soon as the competition catches up they will abandon the sport again. As for Ford, well, they are still not really officially in F1. So now we are left with Ferrari that will never leave, Maclaren that seems to be the same as Mercedes and Williams that will only be as good as whoever supplies their motors. The rest of the F1 grid cant compete with the top three teams. In all reality its the private teams that really make F1. Even a Minardi is still better than any other form of race car in the world. If we stick to the if you cant hack it then get out mentality when the companies I have listed above leave there will only be Ferrari and Maclaren left with Williams running some 3 year old motor. F1 will essentially die.

So yes I am a Honda fan. No, the BAR Honda team is not perfect. I feel a Honda team would have been much better and more successful. As for Toyota, I think more and more people will see my views so I will stop pounding them into unreceptive heads. I will be the first to say "I told you so" when things begin to go south though. The smaller teams are in racing for the sporting aspect of F1. I feel they will stay in the sport as long as they can. However the manufacturers will only stay as long as its making them money or getting their names in magazines. IMO Honda is one of the few that are racing not only for the politics but more because they are founded on the sport. I never said I was writing the bible. We are just giving opinions.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 17:04 (Ref:664117)   #81
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would most certainly agree that Toyota's methods in regards to acheiving championships are not based on sporting motives. Indeed, we will be seeing the same thing when it comes to their NASCAR truck program, I'm sure.

I was only pointing out that there is probably a lot of people within the company who have a real passion for motorsport. I guess it's a shame they work for a soulless corporation.