Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:21 (Ref:698033)   #76
Rossi # 46
Racer

Rossi # 46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
But then you can also say about 95% of the people that like Montoya are ex-Hill-JVil-Mika bandwagoners that hate MS and can't stand to see MS beat all 3 of them.
Well im not a fan of any of the above drivers you mentioned, however, all three of the above are world champions during MS's era.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:33 (Ref:698040)   #77
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I'm an MS fan who's able to admit to the passage of time and has never believed that MS is 'invincible'. And like Wrex I'm ecstatic that we're able to enjoy such a close battle. We are entering a superb new era of the sport where Kimi, JPM, Fernando and maybe Webber are all vying to take MS's crown. I've been very impressed with JPM's season - he has finally shown that he can control his emotions on track enough to maintain a WDC challenge. How he copes with the immense pressure now building for the last 3 races is anyone's guess.

I still believe the pressure will come into play and Michael, having been there and got the t-shirt, cap, flag and novelty cigar lighter, will hold on to it this season.

But I'll be the first to congratulate the next new WDC - whether I'm wrong and it's this season, or it's the next, or the one after that, or ...
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:34 (Ref:698041)   #78
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
People seem to forget that although MS is held in a high regard, he too does make mistakes, anyone who has the 1993 season on tape (his 3rd season - 2nd full) will see that he spun reguarly.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:34 (Ref:698042)   #79
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The worse thing about being a mod is that you have to read threads like this!

My take on this, after re-studying the transcripts is that it is a storm in a tea-cup. To be frank I can't actually see what the problem is. Montoya just said how he saw it. Not a dig at all, just a comment. I suppose he should keep stum, but then people would say he was like Kimi and complain about that. I see no psychological warfare or anything else at all really.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 09:57 (Ref:698054)   #80
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well here's my 2 cents worth.
I thought Juan drove well today, especially considering the first 2 corners and the dirty side of the track as his starting position. Webber and Kimi also drove extremely well as di Fenando , but the star of the day IMO was Ralf.
Brilliant drive, AND he PASSED his bro. Finally.........

Don't you think its great how we all interpret a drivers comments differently, according to whether we like them or not ?

I like Juan , faults and all as he's a challenger for Mike's crown and he has a go. Same goes for Kimi, Webber and Alonso. Obviously I see his comments in a good light and I thought he was very humble when he came right out and said he'd made a mistake. He's either very honest, or noone from Williams had had a chance to tell him it could have been a technical fault that caused his spin. To me, his comment about Michael, justifed or not was all mindgames.
He is laying on a little pressure, and I for one hope he can come up with the goods over the remaining 3 races.
What a great season huh

To be in this position, with 3 points seperating the top 3,
and Shummi looking a lil punch drunk is fantastic IMO. It's anyones title and may the best man win.
IF Juan can focus on just doing his job, and not getting overwhelmed by the pressure, he has the best chance IMO of taking the title at this point. The cars VERY strong, and Ferrari and Michael have so far not come up with a counter punch.To be fair, maybe it's just the tyres that are making the difference but I'm loving it regardless.
The scene is set for a great finish this year and I can't wait to see Juan crowned world champ. Go You Good Thing !

Last edited by Alan Jones; 25 Aug 2003 at 09:59.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 10:38 (Ref:698094)   #81
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think sometimes that the race I watched is completely different then the one that is commented on here! And yes, I watched the interviews too!

So what I have learned from this thread is that Alonso is driving a crummy, underpowered car; that apparently you can't like Michael AND Montoya - or at least appreciate a good drive from any driver; that JPM is "cracking" under the pressure (he has scored how many points in the last 7 or 8 races??) and that Ralfie was in "sissy mode."

I thought Schumi Lite drove his best race in years. JPM also recovered from whatever crappy thing happened to both Williams cars at the start.

We are getting the kind of interesting season that many of you were whining about all last season and now there is whining on the boards about the people who are finally making things interesting! There were some top-notch drives out there today and here I am reading about how JPM "almost threw away the CART Championship."

Geez!!!

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, by the way!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 10:55 (Ref:698121)   #82
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant believe this tiny statement that Montoya made warrants 4 pages of drivel.

Isn't this how the gravel trap disappered guys?
Old 25 Aug 2003, 10:57 (Ref:698123)   #83
Rossi # 46
Racer

Rossi # 46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95
I cant believe this tiny statement that Montoya made warrants 4 pages of drivel.

And now you have just contributed to that 4 pages of Drivel!
Old 25 Aug 2003, 10:57 (Ref:698125)   #84
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 11:39 (Ref:698174)   #85
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
See, it's always JPM's fault.

Racing forums are a lot more fun when you don't take every statement personally.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 11:45 (Ref:698183)   #86
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In this case the Thread title is a bit misleading. Certainly he sounded to me like he was whining and he has been known to do that previously (although I can't really be bothered to look for references so that makes me a liar). However I was not able to understand the post race conference (its overdubbed into Turkish) so I took the poster at his word.

Having seen the transcript of the interview I have changed my mind. It seemed in context to be perfectly reasonable and sadly lacking in any psychological bite. Just stating facts as he saw them.

Sometimes I allow my dislike of the man to get in the way but I will never ever see him as "you good thing" when there are many of equal and better talent out there. As proved yesterday. But of course racing isn't always straightforward is it?
Old 25 Aug 2003, 12:25 (Ref:698218)   #87
Canberra>karter
Rookie

Canberra>karter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Peter why comment on something you never really understood, next time please wait before shooting out un-informed comments.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 12:45 (Ref:698241)   #88
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Canberra>karter
Well Peter why comment on something you never really understood, next time please wait before shooting out un-informed comments.
I think you'll find that I understood the post very well and as that was all my information (because I don't understand the Turkish language) I had very little else to go on other than past experience.

I do not like Montoya as a character. And I don't rate his ability any higher than Kimi, Ralf or Alonso.

Most on this board know that. As I said I sometimes let it get in the way. But I'm allowed that because at the end of the day I don't need to justify my personal opinions. Sadly though I'm always asked to explain this apparently illogical stance.

And finally, if anybody wishes to take this up with me there are PM facilities or if people have a problem with me they can either ignore me or complain to the Moderators.

BTW. In case nobody else has already done so I'll welcome you to the forum.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 12:57 (Ref:698251)   #89
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Canberra>karter
I was going to delete your post, but Peter has already quoted it.

I suggest you lurk a little bit and learn how things are done here before 'shooting' comments like that. We have a golden rule here, "attack the post, not the poster".

Keep it in mind.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 13:32 (Ref:698268)   #90
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just for the sake of Arguement ,.........

The onboard feed from Micheal and Juan's cars showed how very close they were as Michael edged towards Juan's car. I think they were both very lucky that they wasnt both taken off. I think Juan to be fair had good point to make the comment he did about Michael...afterall , its all only banter anyway isnt between racing drivers . They are all just trying to wind up their rivals .

Peter ...i take your point about Kimi and Alonso , but please have enough respect for Juan , Kimi and Fernando as to not put Ralf in there in the same bracket !

Last edited by Sato san; 25 Aug 2003 at 13:40.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 13:38 (Ref:698270)   #91
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
In answer to your request Sato.

No.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 13:42 (Ref:698273)   #92
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... i knew that answer was coming !
Old 25 Aug 2003, 13:43 (Ref:698274)   #93
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good man. Never ask a question unless you know the answer.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 13:43 (Ref:698275)   #94
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow, after reading 4 pages...

Labelled : "Another bashing driver thread"

Countdown...
Old 25 Aug 2003, 16:14 (Ref:698400)   #95
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"On the first lap I was going round the outside of him in turn two and he just threw his car at me completely. I was a bit shocked by that..."

Yeah sorry but I got a real problem with this coming from the guy who does nothing but talk ying-yang every chance he gets...

Telling people if they can't race they should "get out".

Telling people that it's OK to squeeze Schumacher into the grass...

Telling JV that he was going to "kill someone else" a few races after that tragic OZ gp..

Screaming over the radio "bleeping Raikkonen" in some childish rage because he had to lift...

Throwing some ridiculous bizarre tantrum over a bump on the head with his wife having to placate him like some 3 year old child.

Yelling at the team in France over the radio because he is too much of a child to have it out in the garage in private...

Montoya, what a waste...clearly the most talented driver on the grid; whilst being nothing but a pathetic little child.

Not to mention a complete hypocrite.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 16:29 (Ref:698410)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Stephen, I generally agree with most of your assertions but I think your opening to this thread was a bit misleading.

When the entire response is put into context he actually said nothing wrong. A lesson learned there I think.

BTW. I don't think he's the most talented on the grid but I do think he behaves like a spoiled child at times.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 17:28 (Ref:698455)   #97
Jez
Rookie

England
Leicester, England
Jez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope that if it comes down to a straight fight for the title betweem MS & JPM at Suzuka, MS doesn't crack under the pressure again and try to drive JPM off the road like he did with Hill and Villeneuve.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 18:03 (Ref:698484)   #98
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
or hill tried on villeneuve. (hungary 97).
Old 25 Aug 2003, 18:17 (Ref:698500)   #99
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey, Montoya hasn't been in that situation yet, so he may try to drive Michael off the road. We'll see!
Old 25 Aug 2003, 18:37 (Ref:698525)   #100
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
...but I do think he behaves like a spoiled child at times.
couldn't we say that about all drivers!
Closed Thread

Tags
jpm