Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jun 2024, 12:39 (Ref:4211784)   #1026
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
The way I remember it was his defending cost Lewis the window to box under the last SC for fresh tyres and come back out in the lead
It's a bit of a stretch to give Perez credit for that one. The gap before the SC was down to 11 seconds and dropping. Perez cost Lewis a total of another 11. It's highly unlikely that Lewis would've had the gap to pit comfortably regardless of what Perez did.

We sit and say everyone in here is a George apologist (although not sure where that came from other than yourself? It's certainly not my opinion on things), but Perez had significantly less impact on that race than Mercedes pit wall, Latifi and Masi. It feels very much like we're looking for excuses on why Perez should be in a championship leading car whilst he's currently 1 point ahead of Sainz - who is in a worse car, has won more races, and missed an entire race.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 14:35 (Ref:4211799)   #1027
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could be said that Perez missed an entire race.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 15:34 (Ref:4211806)   #1028
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It could be said that, for sure. But qualifying 16th and being involved in a midfield accident isn't the same as having surgery.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 17:31 (Ref:4211818)   #1029
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
It's pretty simple.

If Max stays, Perez is clearly the best choice.

If Max leaves, Perez is clearly the best choice.

Hence Red Bull have given Checo the new two-year contract...

Last edited by peebee2; 4 Jun 2024 at 17:41.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 17:39 (Ref:4211820)   #1030
flatlandsman
Veteran

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Nothing to do with the no doubt millions Daddy is pouring in of course, what a pathetic decision.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 17:42 (Ref:4211822)   #1031
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
Nothing to do with the no doubt millions Daddy is pouring in of course, what a pathetic decision.
His Dad pays nothing at all. He does generally bring good sponsorship though, which is commercially beneficial all round as he gets massive exposure back home.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 17:48 (Ref:4211823)   #1032
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
F1 hasn't been the same ever since Lance Perez Sr. bought Ferrari just so his daughter could get a seat.

Richard
Old 4 Jun 2024, 17:51 (Ref:4211824)   #1033
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
His money is from Telmex. I don't believe that's owned by his father.

Alonso brings considerable money too. Do what you want with that information.
Old 4 Jun 2024, 18:05 (Ref:4211827)   #1034
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
His money is from Telmex. I don't believe that's owned by his father.
Agree. Perez's family is wealthy, but I believe it is Carlos Slim/Telemex that brings the sponsorship money. Slim is massively wealthy. In the top 10-15 in the world.

Richard
Old 4 Jun 2024, 18:10 (Ref:4211829)   #1035
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It might be nice if Mr Horner used Mr Perez’s given name in the release though..
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Jun 2024, 18:34 (Ref:4211834)   #1036
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
while conservative, i definitely think this is a more than reasonable choice...i am a bit surprised by what sounds like a guaranteed two year extension tho.

one year with a team option for an additional year because his age, the new rules, the possibility or need promotion from their b team, and, i could be wrong here but, also because a number of driver deals come up for renewal for 2026...seems more sensible that the team would want some more flexibility for 2026?

guess no promotion for Ric/basically the end of his F1 career as well?
Old 4 Jun 2024, 21:21 (Ref:4211856)   #1037
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
while conservative, i definitely think this is a more than reasonable choice...i am a bit surprised by what sounds like a guaranteed two year extension tho.

one year with a team option for an additional year because his age, the new rules, the possibility or need promotion from their b team, and, i could be wrong here but, also because a number of driver deals come up for renewal for 2026...seems more sensible that the team would want some more flexibility for 2026?

guess no promotion for Ric/basically the end of his F1 career as well?
Ric will be lucky if he gets retained next year. Lawson has got to fit in somewhere and what happebs if Hadjar wins F2?
Old 5 Jun 2024, 02:37 (Ref:4211873)   #1038
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDP01 View Post
True. Red Bull gets a pass for the first Perez contract. He helped Max secure the title. He also crashed on the staging lap at Spa that year.
https://youtu.be/fV92R74FiAE?si=hOCixVRN6L6j6jMX

But I don't see how Red Bull should get a pass for the second Perez contract. And for sure not the third. Perez doesn't even make a natural #2 driver. Like Bottas did. Checo's priorities are himself first, his country second and Red Bull a distant third. He crashed in qualifying on purpose for god sake. That is a very underhanded move for a #2 driver. He gets on the radio and says "we need to talk" because strategy favored Max. Who happens to be the best in the world at the moment. The audacity of the guy.

Red Bull had to know this and they deserve to be ridiculed for it when Checo does Checo things.
The whole Checo issue is there because journalists and fan sites get clicks and mileage out of creating issues around drivers.
It happened to others in the Red Bull camp in years gone by because of their lack of history in GP (not a 'garagiste', nor an OEM).
And then people have trolled Stroll and Ricciardo in the last few years.
The whole 'rubbish the driver' or 'rubbish the team' thing is quite toxic on internet sites over the last few years and its not getting better.

When a championship winning team created a crash for its second driver (son of a multiple WDC winner) to lift his team leader's points score there wasn't the same toxic atmosphere around that driver for months in the same way that the present names mentioned above have had to endure over the last two or three years.

But all of that may simply be a reflection on the way society has shifted over the last five or six years.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 05:52 (Ref:4211880)   #1039
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Ric will be lucky if he gets retained next year. Lawson has got to fit in somewhere and what happebs if Hadjar wins F2?
I think Danny keeps his seat and Yuki could be more likely to leave.
or it stays the same.

Stranger things have happened.

LOVE to see Doohan in a seat "somewhere"
Old 5 Jun 2024, 06:19 (Ref:4211882)   #1040
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
I think Danny keeps his seat and Yuki could be more likely to leave.
or it stays the same.

Stranger things have happened.

LOVE to see Doohan in a seat "somewhere"
This is Australian passport talking not realism.
Same as someone said to me just before the Hamilton move was announced that Ricciardo held the key to the 2025 driver market.My reply was that the only driver market Ricciardo would be affecting was who was going to drive the taxi in the Heineken beer commercial.
Doohan did better in F2 than he had previously but nothing that screamed out Future F1 Star.He’s not remotely near Piastri.Given the decisions Alpine have made in the last few years anyone has a chance at that drive.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 10:17 (Ref:4211904)   #1041
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
The whole Checo issue is there because journalists and fan sites get clicks and mileage out of creating issues around drivers.
It happened to others in the Red Bull camp in years gone by because of their lack of history in GP (not a 'garagiste', nor an OEM).
And then people have trolled Stroll and Ricciardo in the last few years.
The whole 'rubbish the driver' or 'rubbish the team' thing is quite toxic on internet sites over the last few years and its not getting better.

When a championship winning team created a crash for its second driver (son of a multiple WDC winner) to lift his team leader's points score there wasn't the same toxic atmosphere around that driver for months in the same way that the present names mentioned above have had to endure over the last two or three years.

But all of that may simply be a reflection on the way society has shifted over the last five or six years.
Teretonga - I care to disagree. Most drivers who are consistently slower than their team-mates would have their position questioned. I don't think the tone in the discussions here have been particularly nasty - this is a F1 Forum and we are simply discussing why a driver in the best car is not performing at the same level as his teammate.

For me, I re-iterate my earlier point. I think that RB need a stronger second driver in 2025 given the competitor driver line-ups and the likely closing of the speed advantage RB have (and perhaps we are seeing that already) and I think they will end up regretting keeping Perez.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 14:41 (Ref:4211933)   #1042
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2024 almost half done so I would imagine work is already shifting to 2025 and with the reg changes for 2026 surely some resources are already being placed there…that’s a lot of work over the next year and a half so continuity and experience may turn out to be the more important priority?

Of course that’s just speculation and time will tell, but all things being equal stability and rewarding loyalty does seems like the smarter bet for this team at this time imo. Moreso when there isn’t a clear top level driver nor better journeyman to put in that 2nd seat.

For sure I’m excluding Sainz because neither seem interested in revisiting that relationship…but that is also an assumption on my part.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 14:55 (Ref:4211935)   #1043
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
2024 almost half done so I would imagine work is already shifting to 2025 and with the reg changes for 2026 surely some resources are already being placed there…that’s a lot of work over the next year and a half so continuity and experience may turn out to be the more important priority?

Of course that’s just speculation and time will tell, but all things being equal stability and rewarding loyalty does seems like the smarter bet for this team at this time imo. Moreso when there isn’t a clear top level driver nor better journeyman to put in that 2nd seat.

For sure I’m excluding Sainz because neither seem interested in revisiting that relationship…but that is also an assumption on my part.
I’m sure Sainz would love to sign for Red Bull, but I don’t think he was that serious an option.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 15:40 (Ref:4211940)   #1044
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
For sure. While this is the Red Bull thread, I think I read somewhere that Williams is focusing on 2025 and beyond. As to design work for 2026. There was a ban put in place to prevent teams from doing 2026 aero development work (some things allowed like brake duct development), but that any aero work should be done using models (CFD, and tunnel models) that fit with the current regulations and not the future ones. That 2026 aero work can't start until 2025. I think this rule was put in place to primarily target Red Bull (without naming them) who with a dominate car could use 2024 and 2025 to focus on 2026. This ban was put in place when Red Bull seemed unstoppable. I expect now that the gap seems to have narrowed that Red Bull will need to continue to do development on the 2024/2025 tech spec.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/h...ars-will-work/

But back to Williams, I think I heard Vowles in a Williams YT video calling out that they are working on concepts that will work on the current spec as well as 2026.

I can imagine teams finding ways to work around the 2026 aero design ban by working 2026 concepts, but applying them to current technical regulations. Not ideal, but it could allow them to do some level of work toward 2026.

Richard
Old 5 Jun 2024, 19:00 (Ref:4211972)   #1045
PanozDP01
Rookie

PanozDP01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
It's pretty simple.

If Max stays, Perez is clearly the best choice.

If Max leaves, Perez is clearly the best choice.

Hence Red Bull have given Checo the new two-year contract...
This is a joke right ?

Sainz would be a perfect backup plan for if Max left.

Hulk and Bottas would make good 2nd drivers depending on what they are aiming for. Perez can barely keep the car on the track. Thats the problem

Red Bull tried to get Norris which undoes the arguments that Max wanted a slow #2

Last edited by PanozDP01; 5 Jun 2024 at 19:07.
Old 5 Jun 2024, 19:43 (Ref:4211975)   #1046
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDP01 View Post
This is a joke right ?

Sainz would be a perfect backup plan for if Max left.

Hulk and Bottas would make good 2nd drivers depending on what they are aiming for. Perez can barely keep the car on the track. Thats the problem

Red Bull tried to get Norris which undoes the arguments that Max wanted a slow #2
No joke, I just don't think you are thinking of it from a team point of view. Sainz would absolutely not be a perfect back up plan.

I think Max would smash anyone in the second car. Part of why Perez looks comparatively poor sometimes.
Old 6 Jun 2024, 03:36 (Ref:4211996)   #1047
PanozDP01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
No joke, I just don't think you are thinking of it from a team point of view. Sainz would absolutely not be a perfect back up plan.

I think Max would smash anyone in the second car. Part of why Perez looks comparatively poor sometimes.
If Max left Red Bull after 2025, how would Sainz not be a satisfactory stopgap #1 driver ?

Plus the fact that Red Bull made it known that they wanted Lando Norris. Which undoes all the arguments that they wanted to insulate Max
Old 6 Jun 2024, 03:53 (Ref:4211997)   #1048
PanozDP01
Rookie

Cameron F1 on Perez

It sounds like Austria wanted Sainz. And Horner wanted Perez

https://www.youtube.com/live/nuZkbmu...L2pgakgRn9LN7t
Old 6 Jun 2024, 05:54 (Ref:4212000)   #1049
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The Sainz'and Verstappens bickering led to Sainz jnr's departure from STR in the first place.
The Sainz family allegedly did not grasp the fact thst Max was the 2nd comimg, or that Red Bull saw it that way.

Based on the above it would take a change of ownership and/or team management to see Sainz Jnr in one of the cars.
Old 7 Jun 2024, 01:21 (Ref:4212088)   #1050
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantagenet View Post
Teretonga - I care to disagree. Most drivers who are consistently slower than their team-mates would have their position questioned. I don't think the tone in the discussions here have been particularly nasty - this is a F1 Forum and we are simply discussing why a driver in the best car is not performing at the same level as his teammate.

For me, I re-iterate my earlier point. I think that RB need a stronger second driver in 2025 given the competitor driver line-ups and the likely closing of the speed advantage RB have (and perhaps we are seeing that already) and I think they will end up regretting keeping Perez.
It wasn't so much the nature of this forum i was referring to, but the overall nature of what was appearing across multiple sites and the comments made by many of their followers. All of this is continually stoked up by the sites themselves.

It's one thing to make an opinion about a driver and share it but the repeating grinding out a driver as has happened over the last two or three years is an increasingly ugly aspect of fandom expression