Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Jan 2024, 20:26 (Ref:4191664)   #1026
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When the Series Director says in 2017 "I would quite happily see the grid number drop down to 26 or 28 cars", then why should it raise alarm bells to have a grid of 27 in 2024?
Old 12 Jan 2024, 21:11 (Ref:4191668)   #1027
SV8Predator
Racer

SV8Predator User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
When the Series Director says in 2017 "I would quite happily see the grid number drop down to 26 or 28 cars", then why should it raise alarm bells to have a grid of 27 in 2024?

It doesn't raise alarm bells. The series is in rude health and there's plenty of large big-name sponsors that obviously agree with that.

But you'll always get the doom mongers, they finish their homework then log onto TenTenths to strut and posture their superiority.

But it's a discussion forum, so they are welcome to discuss, even if they have no knowledge or experience to enhance the discussion.

Old 12 Jan 2024, 21:13 (Ref:4191669)   #1028
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can we go back to the daft Kia and Volvo and the return of Jason plato rumours now or maybe some genuine news, cos some of the doom and gloom rumours about teams maybe leaving or the “I read somewhere” that so and so team have left
Are just laughable now
Old 12 Jan 2024, 21:38 (Ref:4191670)   #1029
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I personally would love to see TCR cars involved. I think they are better engineered cars.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 21:38 (Ref:4191671)   #1030
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do you think there will be 27 cars on the grid this year?
Old 12 Jan 2024, 22:27 (Ref:4191673)   #1031
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Do you think there will be 27 cars on the grid this year?
At this point in time, I am seeing nothing that suggest the contrary.

27 TBLs registered. No confirmed withdrawals.

I expect to see 27 cars pulling up to the lights on 28 April.

If One Motorsport have shut up shop, as rumoured, then why would they still be active today on social media promoting their BTCC entry?
Old 12 Jan 2024, 22:39 (Ref:4191674)   #1032
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If One Motorsport have shut up shop, as rumoured, then why would they still be active today on social media promoting their BTCC entry?
There’s a lot of lies and stupid things going round haha I do think there will be 27 cars on the grid with loads of surprises!! Still don’t have a clue about the aidens tbls and cbms tbl
Old 12 Jan 2024, 23:11 (Ref:4191675)   #1033
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant25 View Post
There’s a lot of lies and stupid things going round haha I do think there will be 27 cars on the grid with loads of surprises!! Still don’t have a clue about the aidens tbls and cbms tbl
Just throwing another name in the hat, just for the hell of it, but back in '22, Graves Motorsport did voice their intent on entering the BTCC in the next year or 2, but obviously they went down the Cayman route last year instead. Could this be their year, using either the Moffatt or Boardley TBLs, or maybe even all 3? Again, just throwing it out there, with no real evidence, other than an interview on ITV4 during a race weekend in '22.

Last edited by ACF_; 12 Jan 2024 at 23:20.
Old 12 Jan 2024, 23:20 (Ref:4191676)   #1034
Rowbo01
Rookie

Rowbo01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My two pence,

There is a lot of people that I have spoken to that blame the “championship” for its current situation - people say it’s failing,

IMO, the championship provides a platform, there are a few of us putting the platform to good use, and using it to raise funding to go racing.

The biggest problem to my eyes is the teams are simply too reliant on the drivers bringing the money, go find me another “best of its type” championship where teams DON’T have a commercial department, teams in some categories have larger commercial departments than engineering.

That’s how you go motor racing, you sell it. Sure, BTCC lacks in areas, the social media needs much improved, the TV package couple be tweaked and I’m sure host of other things.

But I do not understand people that blame the Championship for the teams not operating in a commercial fashion and simply relying on the drivers…

Put it this way, if the team did 50% of the budget raising, then I’m sure you would have more drivers than TBLs… most of the drivers searching for budget are out there on there own, usually with a supportive mum and dad gunning up the rear.

Please don’t fire off at me, it’s my opinion, and I am NOT saying there are not issues that need fixing, BUT, it isn’t all down to the championship why these teams are seemingly “failing”

Some teams of course, are operating very efficiently.

All the best,

DR
Old 13 Jan 2024, 00:18 (Ref:4191678)   #1035
Jay87
Rookie

Jay87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowbo01 View Post
My two pence,

There is a lot of people that I have spoken to that blame the “championship” for its current situation - people say it’s failing,

IMO, the championship provides a platform, there are a few of us putting the platform to good use, and using it to raise funding to go racing.

The biggest problem to my eyes is the teams are simply too reliant on the drivers bringing the money, go find me another “best of its type” championship where teams DON’T have a commercial department, teams in some categories have larger commercial departments than engineering.

That’s how you go motor racing, you sell it. Sure, BTCC lacks in areas, the social media needs much improved, the TV package couple be tweaked and I’m sure host of other things.

But I do not understand people that blame the Championship for the teams not operating in a commercial fashion and simply relying on the drivers…

Put it this way, if the team did 50% of the budget raising, then I’m sure you would have more drivers than TBLs… most of the drivers searching for budget are out there on there own, usually with a supportive mum and dad gunning up the rear.

Please don’t fire off at me, it’s my opinion, and I am NOT saying there are not issues that need fixing, BUT, it isn’t all down to the championship why these teams are seemingly “failing”

All the best,

DR
I have thought similar things before about drivers being handed an impossible task with regard to sponsorship. I'll use Dan Lloyd as an example. Last season his personal sponsors develop and 24/7 blinds that I'm sure pony up an awful lot of money only got a small place on the car whereas autobrite direct which was the teams sponsor was plastered all over it. It seems a very difficult task for a driver to raise sponsorship when the teams branding takes up 80 percent of the car
Old 13 Jan 2024, 01:07 (Ref:4191684)   #1036
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowbo01 View Post
My two pence,

All the best,

DR

There's maybe 5 series in the world that actually operate on the basis of hiring the best drivers for the job with all/many of them getting paid.

* Formula One
* NASCAR Cup Series
* WRC
* IndyCar
* Supercars

Even then, only the front of the grid is getting paid and all of these series, without exception, have some of the drivers bring money to be on the grid.

The other thing all these five series have is a large media presence. What's also striking is how dominant the ones that are national series are in their respective countries. NASCAR and IndyCar are the only top-level series worth talking about in the entire USA. Nothing else comes close. Same goes for Australia, where Supercars is the only series you ever hear about.

The BTCC, for all it's talk, whilst definitely the top series in the UK, is not even close to the level of NASCAR, IndyCar or Supercars. These series get audiences in the millions, BTCC is lucky to see 300,000. Until you get a much larger audience, you aren't going to see genuine* sponsorship.

*By this I mean sponsors who are involved in the series mainly for the exposure on the side of the cars on TV and being able to use the BTCC in their advertising, rather than the current situation where most sponsorship is about wining & dining your clients at the race meeting rather than having their stickers seen on TV.
Old 13 Jan 2024, 07:14 (Ref:4191700)   #1037
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
There's maybe 5 series in the world that actually operate on the basis of hiring the best drivers for the job with all/many of them getting paid.

* Formula One
* NASCAR Cup Series
* WRC
* IndyCar
* Supercars

Even then, only the front of the grid is getting paid and all of these series, without exception, have some of the drivers bring money to be on the grid.

The other thing all these five series have is a large media presence. What's also striking is how dominant the ones that are national series are in their respective countries. NASCAR and IndyCar are the only top-level series worth talking about in the entire USA. Nothing else comes close. Same goes for Australia, where Supercars is the only series you ever hear about.

The BTCC, for all it's talk, whilst definitely the top series in the UK, is not even close to the level of NASCAR, IndyCar or Supercars. These series get audiences in the millions, BTCC is lucky to see 300,000. Until you get a much larger audience, you aren't going to see genuine* sponsorship.

*By this I mean sponsors who are involved in the series mainly for the exposure on the side of the cars on TV and being able to use the BTCC in their advertising, rather than the current situation where most sponsorship is about wining & dining your clients at the race meeting rather than having their stickers seen on TV.
Compare NASCAR to NFL or indeed NASCaR to Indycar. Motorsport is a minnow in USA. Supercars - not as rosey as it looks. Most teams just about stay afloat and I am not sure Bathurst aside how big the viewing audiences really are.

Last edited by billy bleach; 13 Jan 2024 at 07:21.
Old 13 Jan 2024, 08:57 (Ref:4191706)   #1038
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I hope you're right, just wondering where all these newly built cars will be coming from.
Old 13 Jan 2024, 09:07 (Ref:4191710)   #1039
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The BTCC has worked hard to get where it is, so that we have a full grid of cars, with some top talent in the series. We are unlikely to return to the quality of the Super Touring days, so we should be happy with what we have. Lack of budgets can hamper some drivers, but it’s not the end of the world if it does happen
Old 13 Jan 2024, 09:31 (Ref:4191713)   #1040
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I hope you're right, just wondering where all these newly built cars will be coming from.
Perhaps it’s time to bring the Giulietta out of retirement!
Old 13 Jan 2024, 09:51 (Ref:4191714)   #1041
ACF_
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Perhaps it’s time to bring the Giulietta out of retirement!
I've often wondered why the Renault Mégane Was never used by anyone?

Also, could we possibly see things like the VW ID3/ Cupra Born or MG4 being used in the future?

Just a few random thoughts I have floating round in my head!
Old 13 Jan 2024, 11:46 (Ref:4191721)   #1042
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF_ View Post
I've often wondered why the Renault Mégane Was never used by anyone?
There was one for 2014, but it never raced...
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2013...by-mda-wheels/
Old 13 Jan 2024, 12:07 (Ref:4191722)   #1043
ACF_
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Thanks, I didn't know that
Old 13 Jan 2024, 12:13 (Ref:4191723)   #1044
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Whilst we’ve lost some (3 I think) Cupra’s, Speedworks I’d assume will be building a new Toyota. There are still plenty of Honda’s kicking about & whilst not championship challenging, they were still good enough for podiums.
Old 13 Jan 2024, 13:46 (Ref:4191731)   #1045
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
There are still plenty of Honda’s kicking about & whilst not championship challenging, they were still good enough for podiums.

Problem there is that might have been the case last season; however, I expect that Napa will have probably made even the smallest improvements this winter, and probably the same applies at Speedworks. So, if anyone picks up the Hondas, they will without doubt need to do quite a bit to get them to be on par with the others.
Old 13 Jan 2024, 16:03 (Ref:4191735)   #1046
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Problem there is that might have been the case last season; however, I expect that Napa will have probably made even the smallest improvements this winter, and probably the same applies at Speedworks. So, if anyone picks up the Hondas, they will without doubt need to do quite a bit to get them to be on par with the others.
Indeed, but just look at the Astra’s. Everyone wrote them off at the end of 2022 & they had a much better season last year after a rework.
Old 13 Jan 2024, 16:25 (Ref:4191736)   #1047
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Indeed, but just look at the Astra’s. Everyone wrote them off at the end of 2022 & they had a much better season last year after a rework.
Re work or Engine boost ? Strange how MSport powered cars - Astra /Cupra were suddenly on the pace last year. …
Old 13 Jan 2024, 16:26 (Ref:4191737)   #1048
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Wasn’t there a shell in build at RML aswell until Renault UK canned it?
Old 13 Jan 2024, 16:40 (Ref:4191738)   #1049
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Do I think we'll have 27 competitive cars? No.

But I'm not sure there needs to be too many cars built to reach 27.

Just looking at the TBL entries, and the likely / confirmed cars on the grid:

Excelr8 Motorsport - 4x Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance
West Surrey Racing - 4x BMW 330e M Sport
Alliance Racing - 4x Ford Focus ST
Speedworks Motorsport - 4x Toyota Corolla GR Sport
Restart Racing - 2x Cupra León
Power Maxed Racing - 3x Vauxhall Astra
One Motorsport - 3x Honda Civic Type R (FK8)

That's 24 cars with no issue, which just leaves just 3 cars needed for the Aiden Moffat Racing and CBM Racing entries.

IIRC, there are still Q50s that both Moffat and Boardley have connections with. There are still a couple of FK8s that could be entered.
And, let's not forget that towards the end of last season, Justina Williams said 'Excelr8 are definitely not going to be going up to six cars, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be involved with six cars. We’re always really keen to help people.'
Old 13 Jan 2024, 16:48 (Ref:4191739)   #1050
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What we need is a fly on the wall of Willy Poole's workshop to report on what he is doing for people who are going to be involved in the BTCC this coming season.