Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 Jun 2023, 16:35 (Ref:4165033)   #1051
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I loved Italy, but sadly haven't been back since the 80s. However, their driving, certainly in and around Milan is just beyond crazy. I and my wife were taken out to dinner one evening by the boss of a company that I was looking at in a view to making an investment.

His driving scared the life out of my wife and I certainly wasn't too impressed. He picked us from our hotel overlooking the Centrale Station and drove us to a restaurant somewhere near Linate airport, and seemed to only recognise one speed, which was almost flat out, and didn't even stop for traffic lights at red.

Just as well that I found another company that was a better prospect for my purposes. I couldn't have endured another drive like that one; I almost offered to take a taxi back, but that might have been just as bad. At least he didn't resort to driving on the pavements, which I, my wife and two boys experienced in a taxi in the centre of Paris in the 70s!
In Napoli, the driving makes the Milanese drivers seem civilised. At least Milanese drivers look before cutting you up!!
Old 22 Jun 2023, 16:38 (Ref:4165035)   #1052
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I caught one at the event I was at last week. I'm trying to figure out how to get photos back to my phone so another screen shot
What are the odds that we see two of these?? And then how many more are out there?
Old 22 Jun 2023, 16:40 (Ref:4165037)   #1053
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
At least he didn't resort to driving on the pavements, which I, my wife and two boys experienced in a taxi in the centre of Paris in the 70s!
You would be suprised to see that the pavements are no more used for parisian streets. Instead of that, they are sent to the policemen's faces! Each time we fly to Roma and take a cab we wonder if our stuff is really in the trunk and how high will be the extra charge! Its part of the game, charming people.
Old 23 Jun 2023, 07:40 (Ref:4165074)   #1054
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Part seven from the car park:
Attached Thumbnails
20230616_113502.jpg   20230616_113510.jpg   20230616_113738.jpg  

20230616_113751.jpg  
Old 23 Jun 2023, 08:31 (Ref:4165079)   #1055
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Crikey, the Triumph 1300 looks a bit out of place with all the Italian exotica!
Old 23 Jun 2023, 09:02 (Ref:4165080)   #1056
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I disagree, I think it's as classic as the other ones and in the same mold
Old 23 Jun 2023, 10:32 (Ref:4165096)   #1057
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Triumph was designed by Michelotti. Also the first FWD Triumph.
Old 23 Jun 2023, 11:10 (Ref:4165099)   #1058
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The Triumph was designed by Michelotti. Also the first FWD Triumph.

Fascinating bit of trivia. As I said, a classic for it’s time
Old 23 Jun 2023, 13:24 (Ref:4165115)   #1059
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
As I said, a classic for it’s time
If you mean it was already outdated when new, then I agree!

Always found that the best conversion of this era was TR4/5 to TR6. Minor changes and good looking new car. Direct from Italy to Germany! Would not say the same thing about the Duetto, the farther they went the worse it has been. When you thing, from Coda Longa to duck tail. Sacrilege!
Old 23 Jun 2023, 14:03 (Ref:4165120)   #1060
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gerard. Personally.I think the best iteration of the TR was the TR5 or 250. The TR6 was too square. The TR5 had the TR4 IRS plus a nice straight 6.
Old 23 Jun 2023, 14:44 (Ref:4165128)   #1061
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Agreed and certainly more because we are males. The TR5/250 could have been better with the original Lucas injection but the carbs and power reduction was probably necessary to satisfy the different emission laws. I ownd a Datsun Fairlady roadster 2000 but the perf kit was sold separetly thourgh the dealer network, something you cant even think about over there specially in CA. TR6 square? I'd say more "feminin"…

I'm absolutely no great fan of some german design but what Porsche did with the 924 to 968 and 928 to S4 is a great example of cost saving. A long time before the Panamera!
Old 23 Jun 2023, 17:28 (Ref:4165143)   #1062
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's been right there for 30 plus years....
Old 23 Jun 2023, 17:45 (Ref:4165144)   #1063
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
James Bond's car better than new! Well, almost… Late version methinks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kywui18AQJ4
Old 24 Jun 2023, 13:21 (Ref:4165185)   #1064
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
James Bond's car better than new! Well, almost… Late version methinks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kywui18AQJ4
It's not one you would normally associate with Bond, but hey it suited him. Not sure how many versions of that car they did?
Old 25 Jun 2023, 07:59 (Ref:4165255)   #1065
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Part eight from the car park:
Attached Thumbnails
20230616_114256.jpg   20230616_114405.jpg   20230616_114341.jpg  

20230616_114351.jpg  
Old 25 Jun 2023, 14:46 (Ref:4165293)   #1066
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
They could have named the Four Breadvan. Thanks for the pics.
Old 25 Jun 2023, 15:30 (Ref:4165329)   #1067
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
The ninth (and final) part from the car park:
Attached Thumbnails
20230616_114534.jpg   20230616_114540.jpg   20230616_114552.jpg  

20230616_114601.jpg   20230616_114612.jpg  
Old 25 Jun 2023, 17:22 (Ref:4165374)   #1068
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Just wahoo! At first glance I would have say it's a 508 S base but the front end grille suggests another car. Knowing that the Gran Premio di Pari was held only in 1947, I'd say Cisitalia D46. As to the first one, is it original? Raced in period wit an air cooled flat twin? I dont recognize a Panhard engine. A clue, please, Malcolm? I don't think Vern Schuppan ever drove it tho…

Last edited by Gerard C; 25 Jun 2023 at 17:28.
Old 25 Jun 2023, 17:28 (Ref:4165378)   #1069
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Just wahoo! At first glance I would have say it's a 508 S base but the front end grille suggests another car. Knowing that the Gran Premio di Pari was held only in 1947, I'd say Cisitalia D46. As to the first one, is it original? Raced in period wit an air cooled flat twin? I dont recognize a Panhard engine. A clue, please, Malcolm?
Started life with Fiat 500 Topolino mechanics, BMW R75 engine.
Old 25 Jun 2023, 17:29 (Ref:4165380)   #1070
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Grazie mille monsignore!
Old 25 Jun 2023, 17:32 (Ref:4165382)   #1071
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Reminds me my Dad's Simca Huit Gordini at Le Mans in 1939!
Old 26 Jun 2023, 00:18 (Ref:4165468)   #1072
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Reminds me my Dad's Simca Huit Gordini at Le Mans in 1939!
Gerard, I still have a picture of your Father winning at Montlhéry the month prior to Le Mans that year, again driving a Simca Huit (from 'Le Sourcier').
Old 26 Jun 2023, 00:44 (Ref:4165470)   #1073
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Started life with Fiat 500 Topolino mechanics, BMW R75 engine.
A Taraschi 'Urania'?

Maybe this car (or a sister car) pictured below in period?

Edit: just realised after posting that the car "crm" posted the photo of has a bonnet 'hump'.... the one I posted does not. But made by the same hands I feel, in the same factory in Teramo.

If it is, interesting article here about the man behind it, Bernardo 'Diddi' Taraschino. http://www.squadrataraschi.it/eng/main_eng.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by E.B; 26 Jun 2023 at 00:59.
Old 26 Jun 2023, 06:20 (Ref:4165484)   #1074
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
A Taraschi 'Urania'?

Maybe this car (or a sister car) pictured below in period?

Edit: just realised after posting that the car "crm" posted the photo of has a bonnet 'hump'.... the one I posted does not. But made by the same hands I feel, in the same factory in Teramo.

If it is, interesting article here about the man behind it, Bernardo 'Diddi' Taraschino. http://www.squadrataraschi.it/eng/main_eng.htm
Yes - a 1949 Taraschi Urania 750 Sport.

Another article (for those interested) can be found here - https://www.historicautopro.com/1949...ania-750-sport
Old 26 Jun 2023, 08:24 (Ref:4165505)   #1075
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Gerard, I still have a picture of your Father winning at Montlhéry the month prior to Le Mans that year, again driving a Simca Huit (from 'Le Sorcier').
Great Chris, was Grand Prix Olazur I think. I'm amazed to see you are able to spot a Tarashi Urania, never heard about this! Well done again.
Malcolm thanks again for the pics, comments and link. The reading gives info "BMW R75 engine installed behind the front axle" for the first version. The one pictured must be a latter version -post '48?- with front overhanging-engine and tubular frame. How much did Diddi pay for the BM engine is another story! Loot may be?

As to bonnet bulge or other mods, they were common in period, a race car being in constant evolution. For example, one of Dad's Gordini was seen RHD then LHD and he even used it for Concours d'élégance (La Baule je crois, Mom respecting the dress code).