Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Jun 2024, 18:26 (Ref:4213796)   #1051
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is your Chippendales tribute act, I take it? Possibly not......
Old 14 Jun 2024, 18:26 (Ref:4213797)   #1052
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They are our tribute act.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 19:56 (Ref:4215761)   #1053
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As always the trips to the 24hrs wouldn't be the same without having the radio on in the background.

Were they doing this year on a tighter budget? Seemed to be fewer different voices than in some years (just 2 pairs of main commentators?), and missing people like Shea Adams or a technical correspondant such as Sam Collins (formerly of this parish).
Old 18 Jun 2024, 07:20 (Ref:4215801)   #1054
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was similar last year. I think Shea doesn't come out because it's between two IMSA races, she said last year that she just needed a rest, which is definitely understandable. I think they had Richard Crail over last year as a third lead comm.

I was thankfully asleep during the long red flag, but woke up just in time for Hindy to begin his red flag rant.

But, it still wouldn't be the same without RLM, even with the flaws that they might have. Having Trussers in there is always invaluable, he helps to keep things on track at times and helps those of us trackside understand what's going on. There was so much action across the field this year that it would have been completely impossible to stay on top of it without help.
Old 18 Jun 2024, 07:28 (Ref:4215805)   #1055
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
As always the trips to the 24hrs wouldn't be the same without having the radio on in the background.

Were they doing this year on a tighter budget? Seemed to be fewer different voices than in some years (just 2 pairs of main commentators?), and missing people like Shea Adams or a technical correspondant such as Sam Collins (formerly of this parish).
Sam hasn't been on RLM for a long time now.
Old 18 Jun 2024, 08:29 (Ref:4215818)   #1056
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
It was similar last year. I think Shea doesn't come out because it's between two IMSA races, she said last year that she just needed a rest, which is definitely understandable. I think they had Richard Crail over last year as a third lead comm.
It’s a shame Shea isn’t there. It taints the race for me.
Quote:
I was thankfully asleep during the long red flag, but woke up just in time for Hindy to begin his red flag rant.
This tainted the race for me. More than the red flag did for Hindy.
Quote:
But, it still wouldn't be the same without RLM, even with the flaws that they might have.
This is true. Although the flaws taint the race for me.
Quote:
Having Trussers in there is always invaluable, he helps to keep things on track at times and helps those of us trackside understand what's going on. There was so much action across the field this year that it would have been completely impossible to stay on top of it without help.
If he wasn’t there it would taint the race for me.

On the way down we listened to the previews. In one of them John made the guest talk about an alternative route. So mid journey we decided to give it go. It was via Yvestot and takes in a nice bridge. Journey untainted!
Old 18 Jun 2024, 10:14 (Ref:4215835)   #1057
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
On the way down we listened to the previews. In one of them John made the guest talk about an alternative route. So mid journey we decided to give it go. It was via Yvestot and takes in a nice bridge. Journey untainted!
That's a nice detour, excepting all the tiny roundabouts on the stretch south of the (very lovely and quite spectacular) bridge. When I was on the way last year the tunnel in Rouen was shut for some reason, so I headed west. Nice drive but tainted by the roundabouts
Old 18 Jun 2024, 14:06 (Ref:4215885)   #1058
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post

There was a red flag? I thought I watched the whole race but I guess I missed that part.
Old 18 Jun 2024, 14:13 (Ref:4215886)   #1059
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No red flag of course - just a very long SC period....
Old 18 Jun 2024, 14:14 (Ref:4215887)   #1060
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
A ridiculously long SC period
Old 18 Jun 2024, 15:13 (Ref:4215899)   #1061
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Tainted the whole thing.
Old 18 Jun 2024, 15:25 (Ref:4215903)   #1062
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Lucky for me i slept through most of it
Old 18 Jun 2024, 15:27 (Ref:4215904)   #1063
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Genuine Question

As a clerk, I would like to know, what would you have preferred to happen over the period of (OMG Several) hours that the SC was deployed?

What would you suggest (and this is not a "Go on you do better" question, it really is a gen question. I sat there and in the end went to sleep as it was just a complete endless pointless circle of cars going round and round.

The race was neutralised beuase of the weather, and, (officials head on) I can see why it was. We know that Le Mans has never been red flagged, even in 55, so, there is pressure there for a start, but, what do us lot think could be done instead of SC?

Just as a pointer, it was interesting and infact I did agree with Jonny Palmer when in reply to Snowy saying "either its ok to race or you dont race... its one or the other, not a safety car!" Palmer said, "its still a test of endurance, the car is still circulating, the engine is still running and the driver is still driving" and that in itself is a form of endurnace test because following a SC for four and a half hours is going to test the driver to stay awake!!!

So, what say you? what would you have done?

ta
Mart
Old 18 Jun 2024, 15:36 (Ref:4215909)   #1064
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Bring the safty car in and let them race in the wet, they have wet weather tyres and are supposedly the best drivers in the world, if they can not drive a car in the wet then they should not be racing. The year the maclaren f1 won was the wettest i can remember but they raced and the gt cars turned out to be faster in the wet than the proto types, so the surprise result happened. What will happened next do we get a safty car when it gets dark?.
Old 18 Jun 2024, 15:39 (Ref:4215910)   #1065
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It was a shame that the racing stopped.

It’s ridiculously easy to say “but the conditions are better/worse than when they were/weren’t racing before” when I reality it was probably different or it is unreasonable to assume every race director decision is made with perfect information.

But I am OK with the running under SC. It at least keeps the information about the track live.

And I do like the keep the cars going for 24 hours argument.
Old 18 Jun 2024, 15:43 (Ref:4215912)   #1066
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Bring the safty car in and let them race in the wet, they have wet weather tyres and are supposedly the best drivers in the world, if they can not drive a car in the wet then they should not be racing. The year the maclaren f1 won was the wettest i can remember but they raced and the gt cars turned out to be faster in the wet than the proto types, so the surprise result happened. What will happened next do we get a safty car when it gets dark?.
I don't recall the SC being deployed for rain, last year. But this year the rain and wind was IMO exceptional. Ergo I don't blame them for bringing it out. And the drivers were srtuggling.
Old 19 Jun 2024, 06:51 (Ref:4215989)   #1067
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The argument that it is still an endurance event even running behind the safety car has some merit. But for soaking wet fans trackside, it might be better to red flag it and say the situation will be reassessed in one or two hours or whatever based on the weather forecast. Then people know they can get some sleep or do something else rather than just watching a parade wasting fuel.
Old 19 Jun 2024, 08:30 (Ref:4215995)   #1068
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some fans stayed awake and sat through the rain and wind. Others took to their beds. I was one of the latter but I did listen to some of RLM and especially Johnny Mowlem who suggested that running behind the safety car for so long had its own challenges so personally I think it was the right call under the circs.
Old 19 Jun 2024, 09:21 (Ref:4216005)   #1069
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Yet again RLM ws there for everyone, ok some people moan about it but without it the race would be so much poorer. A big thanks to all involved for me
Old 19 Jun 2024, 09:31 (Ref:4216006)   #1070
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
The argument that it is still an endurance event even running behind the safety car has some merit. But for soaking wet fans trackside, it might be better to red flag it and say the situation will be reassessed in one or two hours or whatever based on the weather forecast. Then people know they can get some sleep or do something else rather than just watching a parade wasting fuel.

I think fans have that choice regardless of if a red flag is waved.... fans who find it (with justification) boring to watch a safety car and train go round and round can go do other things, especially if its raining (as it was) I went and got some sleep myself. The problem with the "lets stop and see how it is in a while" is that sometimes (if not all) it doesn't work, and I will tell you why:

At Anglesey for Race Of Remembrance one year, I was not clerking, I was racing. The rain came down quite bad and progressively got worse on the Sunday and eventually the Clerks deployed the safety car.... while the safety car was circulating, the track was still drivable. there was a visible line where the cars progressed round. They then decided to halt the race and see if it improved later .... I was in the car at the time, as soon as we came into the pit and stopped I said to the marshal "that is the end, this race will be abandoned" and sure enough it was, the reason being that once the SC had stopped circulating, the track began to fill with static water that was not being dispersed, simply put, the racing line disappeared along with any hope of the race ever continuing.

Now, Anglesey is 2 miles and Le Mans is 8 and I know that is a big difference, but I think the same principle applies, along with (as stated before) Le Mans has never been red flagged and they would try desperately to not have one (rightly so I believe)

It was a prolonged period and people will have different views, I have never felt so cold in the 30 odd years I have been going to Le Mans (although 2003 was bad if I remember right) But, I honestly believe (although I have first hand experience from the ivory tower so to speak) that it was the best way to neutralise the risks and issues with multi class endurance racing given the deluge of rain that fell while maintaining the spirit of the 24 hours.
Old 19 Jun 2024, 09:47 (Ref:4216008)   #1071
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Yet again RLM ws there for everyone, ok some people moan about it but without it the race would be so much poorer. A big thanks to all involved for me
I second that
Old 19 Jun 2024, 12:28 (Ref:4216018)   #1072
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thirded. RLM remains indispensable.
Old 19 Jun 2024, 14:47 (Ref:4216040)   #1073
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Clearly.
Old 19 Jun 2024, 15:26 (Ref:4216045)   #1074
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Hear Hear.
Old 22 Jun 2024, 17:42 (Ref:4216422)   #1075
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RLM IS Le Mans for me. It is in my DNA.
Does it annoy me from time to time. Absolutely.
Would I unplug it... Absolutely not!
I didn't like the "sponsored" pre recorded chat in the first quarter of the race especially when there was an on track battle that was hard to follow, but I appreciate that sponsors need their time.
I thought on the whole they did a great job.
Thanks to them.