Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jul 2024, 01:36 (Ref:4217552)   #1076
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Can Mr Ricciardo take over the 2nd RBR seat now? Please..
The taxi driver in the Heineken beer commercial might finish up being his best option.
Although if someone is crazy enough to think he was driver of the race on Sunday anything’s possible.
Old 2 Jul 2024, 02:57 (Ref:4217554)   #1077
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Danny's F1 boat has sailed.
Old 2 Jul 2024, 08:16 (Ref:4217563)   #1078
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I just hope Liam's hasn't....
Old 2 Jul 2024, 08:50 (Ref:4217566)   #1079
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Yeah, I just hope Liam's hasn't....
Presumably Mr Lawson might find a home at Audi-Sauber should VCARB not ge forthcoming…
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 8 Jul 2024, 17:23 (Ref:4218306)   #1080
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
It seems harsh to kick a man when he's down, but Checo turned in another appalling result at Silverstone. I appreciate that RBR rolled an unlikely dice and put him on inters when most others stayed out and tiptoed around on slicks. But that's not enough to account for being 2 laps down at the finish. 2 laps is about 180 seconds, so that is about 3.5 seconds per lap, every lap for the entire race. One extra stop costs 20 seconds and let's say he lost another 20 because he was on the wrong tyres. That brings the deficit down to 140 seconds, or 2.7 seconds per lap.

Apparently there is a performance clause in his contract that says they can show him the door if he is more than 100 points behind Max at summer break or end of season. He's currently 137 points behind so in the next 2 races he needs to score 37 more than Max. If Max fails to score twice, he still needs a win and a fourth (is that a pig I can see perched in the trees?).

The only saving grace for Checo is that there is no obvious short-term replacement. Liam Lawson performed exceptionally well when he stood in for Danny Ric but it would be tough for him to be parachuted straight into the big team and that has been the end of a few promising careers over recent years. Horner could promote one of the Alpha Tauri drivers and slot Lawson into the second team, but I don't there is any great likelihood of Dan doing much better than Checo. Personally I think Yuki Tsunoda could be quite promising but he doesn't seem to be viewed favourably by Horner.

For what it's worth, I think Perez will survive to the end of the year, score a few points, and then be chucked out. Red Bull will break with normal policy and bring in a driver from outside their structure. Dan will also be dismissed and replaced by Liam Lawson. Yuki will survive.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 17:42 (Ref:4218307)   #1081
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I don't disagree with your main conclusion, but in fairness I should point out that for several laps when he was on the inters, Checo was 15-20 seconds a lap slower than the leaders.........
Old 8 Jul 2024, 17:53 (Ref:4218309)   #1082
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so while i understand the point of taking a chance with Perez' strategy at this race...go for inters early and see what happens while also providing more important info for Max, i dont know if understand his choices in the previous races.

going by memory, so could be wrong here, but if you fail to get out of Q3 with a RB/car that has pace, then surely you start the race on hards and use you natural car speed advantage to work you way up the grid with a really long stint...more so if your driver is Perez who is known for running long stints.

they dont seem to be doing that with him tho? again i could be mis remembering and for sure much of this is of his own making so perhaps its all moot anyways, but to my recollection, he doesn't seem to be opting for strategies that play to his starting position and/or strengths?
Old 8 Jul 2024, 17:58 (Ref:4218310)   #1083
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
For what it's worth, I think Perez will survive to the end of the year, score a few points, and then be chucked out. Red Bull will break with normal policy and bring in a driver from outside their structure. Dan will also be dismissed and replaced by Liam Lawson. Yuki will survive.
There’s also Hadjar leading F2, and the second coming Lindblad near the top of F3 and gaining fast.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 18:36 (Ref:4218313)   #1084
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perez also started from the pit lane, and made 4 pit stops during the race so lost 1m58.875s in the pit lane - even at the wettest point in the race, that's an entire lap. At the dryest point, it's about than a lap and half.

He also had to yield twice to the battling front runners.

I'm not entirely positive about his driving or his future, but the team played him a dud hand twice during the race and once before it and I think we need to allow for that.
Old 8 Jul 2024, 20:22 (Ref:4218321)   #1085
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Perez also started from the pit lane, and made 4 pit stops during the race so lost 1m58.875s in the pit lane - even at the wettest point in the race, that's an entire lap. At the dryest point, it's about than a lap and half.

I'm not entirely positive about his driving or his future, but the team played him a dud hand twice during the race and once before it and I think we need to allow for that.
I assume he started from pit lane as he strategically took a new power unit. But they also would have picked now to bring a new power unit into the pool due to poor qualifying on his part. So that is mostly on him and then the team making the best of it.

They left him out too long on intermediates, but again, as he was deep in the field (most up to him) they were going to experiment with his strategy. I think if he was up near the front they would be more conservative with what they do with him. Right now they have to throw the dice to try to move him up. If I remember correctly I think the left him on intermediates too long in hopes they could time the next stop right (maybe switch to second set of intermediates), but it just didn't work out and he ended up with a long stint on the initial set? I may have details wrong, but I think it was bad situation of them trying risky strategy with him in hopes it might work and get him out of the rear of the field.

I do feel for the guy. But in the end, he puts himself into these positions in which the team has little option but other than to treat him roughly (risky strategy).

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...k-in/10632968/

Article basically says Red Bull are considering exercising a performance clause with Perez. Speculating that If Perez is outside of 100 points from Max at either mid or end of season they can drop him. He is current 137 points behind Max.

Richard
Old 9 Jul 2024, 00:43 (Ref:4218343)   #1086
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

All of the above was caused by his qualifying mistake though
Old 9 Jul 2024, 00:52 (Ref:4218345)   #1087
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post

Starting from the pit lane was, but were the tyre stops also the result of that, or bad tyre strategy from RBR?
Old 9 Jul 2024, 01:58 (Ref:4218349)   #1088
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
His mistake?
Yet he was the first car out on slicks on a still damp track when they knew qualifying was critical for Perez.
Who made that decision?
His car snapped (hardly surprising because it happened to others too) and he couldn't recover on damp grass. I've spun a kart and tried to recover on damp grass. Do you know how hard that is?

Then in the race he is behind Leclerc (another who was struggling but doesn't get the same level of online ridicule) and he is put on intermediates that shred on a drying track and then people go "Oh he finished two laps behind."

Really?
If there are team decisions does someone want him to fail?

Hannah schmitz is credited with outstanding strategic decisions for Max, but who is making decisions for Checo?

Last edited by Teretonga; 9 Jul 2024 at 02:05.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 07:24 (Ref:4218359)   #1089
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Hannah schmitz is credited with outstanding strategic decisions for Max, but who is making decisions for Checo?

I believe that she oversees the race strategy for both drivers, not just Verstappen. Her brief is to ensure the best results that she can for the whole team, not just a single driver.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 07:50 (Ref:4218360)   #1090
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Starting from the pit lane was, but were the tyre stops also the result of that, or bad tyre strategy from RBR?
RBR sacrificed Perez during the race to assist Max. And honestly, given Perez started last and had made very little progress, it was the correct call.

I think Perez would've found himself with a vastly improved strategy had he been running top 10.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 09:54 (Ref:4218369)   #1091
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
His mistake?
Yet he was the first car out on slicks on a still damp track when they knew qualifying was critical for Perez.
Who made that decision?
He is a very experienced F1 driver. It wasn't his first dalliance with a damp and greasy track. He also has a tongue in his head. If he thought it was a stupid decision to go out then he should have said so..... but maybe he did and he was forced to go out.....
Old 9 Jul 2024, 10:38 (Ref:4218371)   #1092
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
The terrible strategy makes it harder to judge Perez's performance in Silverstone, but he did pit right at the end for soft tyres to make a fastest lap attempt, and ended up going 1.4 seconds slower than Carlos Sainz who did the exact same thing, 0.8 seconds slower than Max Verstappen's best on old hard tyres and 0.3 seconds slower than Lewis Hamilton who was really having to nurse his soft tyres. And of course it was his mistake in qualifying that meant he wasn't really in contention for many points.

Following on from Imola, Monaco, Canada, Spain, Austria it is very much a trend.

If Red Bull really don't want Carlos Sainz in for 2025, which it seems they don't due to the bad blood between him and Verstappen, and they don't want to promote Tsunoda, and Ocon is unlikely to be in contention, then I would say it is perhaps worth looking at getting Valtteri Bottas in as the best driver out of contract, as Gasly, Albon and Hulkenberg are no longer available. But even Daniel Ricciardo would be worth a try at this point although I don't think it makes sense to promote him over Tsunoda.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 11:53 (Ref:4218380)   #1093
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
T But even Daniel Ricciardo would be worth a try at this point although I don't think it makes sense to promote him over Tsunoda.
I can not see Yuki getting a promotion as I see him going to Aston Martin as soon as they get the Honda power train. DR is not at his best now so just wait until Liam Lawson has tested the RB. Think that will be on Thursday at Silverstone.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 12:24 (Ref:4218382)   #1094
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
If Red Bull really don't want Carlos Sainz in for 2025, which it seems they don't due to the bad blood between him and Verstappen, and they don't want to promote Tsunoda, and Ocon is unlikely to be in contention, then I would say it is perhaps worth looking at getting Valtteri Bottas in as the best driver out of contract, as Gasly, Albon and Hulkenberg are no longer available. But even Daniel Ricciardo would be worth a try at this point although I don't think it makes sense to promote him over Tsunoda.
Not a bad shout re Bottas.

I would be doing all I could to get Sainz in, if it were me.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 14:22 (Ref:4218392)   #1095
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
RBR sacrificed Perez during the race to assist Max. And honestly, given Perez started last and had made very little progress, it was the correct call.

I think Perez would've found himself with a vastly improved strategy had he been running top 10.

So the tyre calls weren't bad strategy but were made to assist Max, is that correct?
Old 9 Jul 2024, 14:51 (Ref:4218394)   #1096
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
There’s also Hadjar leading F2, and the second coming Lindblad near the top of F3 and gaining fast.
Hadjar?! All he does is whine and complain. Plus he's quite happy to shaft a teammate.

Oh.. that's actually quite a good couple of tools to have for an aspiring F1 driver.

Seriously though, really not convinced.

F2 has been a bit iffy this year. Rèckon there's only half a dozen truly quality drivers in it and half of them have been held back by their teams car sorting issues.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 15:00 (Ref:4218395)   #1097
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hadjar?! All he does is whine and complain.
He is French!

They've said they would want him if he wins F2 - so we shall have to see.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 15:21 (Ref:4218397)   #1098
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hadjar might miss his chance. He lacks consistency
Old 9 Jul 2024, 22:16 (Ref:4218436)   #1099
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Hadjar might miss his chance. He lacks consistency
Lacks outright ability and strength of nind!

I reckon Marti asa rookie has shown him up on track at various times even if the points don't reflect it.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 23:11 (Ref:4218447)   #1100
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
His mistake?
Who made that decision?
His car snapped (hardly surprising because it happened to others too) and he couldn't recover on damp grass. I've spun a kart and tried to recover on damp grass. Do you know how hard that is?

Then in the race he is behind Leclerc (another who was struggling but doesn't get the same level of online ridicule) and he is put on intermediates that shred on a drying track and then people go "Oh he finished two laps behind."

Really?
If there are team decisions does someone want him to fail?

Of course it was a mistake. He didn't spin on purpose.

Once he was destined to be on the back row, or the pit lane, he was always going to be the guinea pig for Max's tyre strategy. There is nothing more certain, or makes more sense for Red Bull.

In a perfect race, he may finish P9, or he can be used as a test car for the conditions to enable Max to finish higher, which as it went, happened.

All of the above, caused by Perez spinning off in qualifying.