Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jul 2024, 00:23 (Ref:4221082)   #1101
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Was he though? Are you sure that Alonso's car was weighed? Many of the technical checks are done on a spot checking, randomised method (as we saw in Austin last year with random plank thickness checks). Would need to see the technical delegate's report to be sure that Alonso's car was actually weighed.
Right. Regulations say something like "classified cars may be weighed" not "will".

Richard
Old 30 Jul 2024, 00:45 (Ref:4221086)   #1102
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Weighing is a pretty easy check (page 2) so pretty much always everyone.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...utineering.pdf
Old 30 Jul 2024, 01:26 (Ref:4221090)   #1103
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Weighing is a pretty easy check (page 2) so pretty much always everyone.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/fi...utineering.pdf

Thanks Adam
Old 30 Jul 2024, 01:41 (Ref:4221093)   #1104
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Was he though? Are you sure that Alonso's car was weighed? Many of the technical checks are done on a spot checking, randomised method (as we saw in Austin last year with random plank thickness checks). Would need to see the technical delegate's report to be sure that Alonso's car was actually weighed.
It was
Old 30 Jul 2024, 01:52 (Ref:4221094)   #1105
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thanks Adam
No problem.
It’s interesting the bits that are normal to check and those that aren’t. And there ar ethos things that don’t have a standard check as such.
Very much a pragmatic approach to doing it.
Old 31 Jul 2024, 23:46 (Ref:4221372)   #1106
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Heavily worn tyres are clearly going to weigh less then tyres that have done half the number of laps, that's for sure and also (logically) whey he ended up underweight.

There is no chance to pick up marbles, gravel etc. at Spa because there is no cool down lap - they cross the line, got around La Source and come up pit lane in reverse direction. The pickup can be worth a couple of kg so at any other circuit, he would have won, picked up marbles and been over the minimum weight.

So one stop strategies may work at some other circuits - the weight issue is specific to Spa.
Every team knows that they couldn’t do a cool down lap for years. They cheated, got caught and deserved to be stripped of the race win.
Old 1 Aug 2024, 00:14 (Ref:4221373)   #1107
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Every team knows that they couldn’t do a cool down lap for years. They cheated, got caught and deserved to be stripped of the race win.
Of course they all know about the lack of cool down lap. That's why Spa is where going the one stop route had a higher risk of being underweight compared to other F1 circuits - which is what the post you quote was about.

As for "they cheated" - not convinced on that at all but we can certainly say that they miscalculated and it cost them a 1-2.
Old 1 Aug 2024, 07:01 (Ref:4221399)   #1108
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's termed as "F-ed up big time."

I've had a couple of DSQ due to underweight, we weren't trying to cheat we just F-ed up big time. It's just that F1 is bigger time than club karting.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 1 Aug 2024, 07:20 (Ref:4221400)   #1109
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Exactly, teams don't try to deliberately go underweight, not in this day and age. Too much risk of getting caught. Just basically Merc miscalculated and said it was a combination of things
Old 1 Aug 2024, 08:23 (Ref:4221403)   #1110
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. Unfortunately internet trolls don't understand that.
Old 1 Aug 2024, 08:26 (Ref:4221404)   #1111
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've done it twice (I know, I know, Oscar Wilde and all that) - f'ed both times.

FWIW, I can't believe it gave Russell any real advantage. Given the current cars are so bleed'n heavy (~800kg), I make this 1kg infringement to be barely above 0.1% of the car weight.
Old 1 Aug 2024, 08:29 (Ref:4221405)   #1112
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
They didn't cheat. They tried to be smart by discounting the one stop and ballasting the car for multiple stops. When deg was much less than they expected, they should have stuck with the two-stopper as it should have been obvious the car would be underweight.

It's a mistake, not cheating. A big and fundamental mistake that shouldn't have happened, but still not cheating.
Old 1 Aug 2024, 09:35 (Ref:4221413)   #1113
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And the lack of pickup from a full slow down lap has nothing to do with it?
Old 1 Aug 2024, 09:39 (Ref:4221417)   #1114
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post

Possibly/probably a contributing factor.
Old 1 Aug 2024, 09:55 (Ref:4221422)   #1115
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Because it is a known factor at Spa the teams would use that in their pre race ballast calculations. Mercedes simply didnt ballast the car allowing for a one stopper because pre race it was not an option.
Mid race when it became apparent there was an option to one stop, and they changed strategies, no one put their hand up and said oh wait, we were a bit aggressive with our ballast calculations pre race and didnt allow for the extra 1.5 kgs loss of weight for a set of tyres doing 34 laps over the 18 laps use and less wear had they done a two stopper.
(The tyres alone (without wheels) weigh 42kgs a set... 11.5kg per rear 9.5kg per front)

Oversight, Negligence, call it what you will.
Old 1 Aug 2024, 09:59 (Ref:4221423)   #1116
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That was undoubtedly factored into the two stopper. What wasn't factored into their calculations, was the possibility of a one stopper. I think that was the cock up.

EB beat me to it!

Last edited by Rusty Nail; 1 Aug 2024 at 10:02. Reason: Got beaten to the draw!
Old 1 Aug 2024, 11:03 (Ref:4221429)   #1117
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
I doubt it. If you didn't know that I'm not sure you could find your way into the circuit each morning.
Old 1 Aug 2024, 22:44 (Ref:4221481)   #1118
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I doubt it. If you didn't know that I'm not sure you could find your way into the circuit each morning.

Reminds me of when I went to Spa in 2022, took the wrong turn exiting the circuit at the top of La Source, except my camp site was way past Les Combes.

You really appreciate how big Spa is when you have to double back and walk back through the track after a long day of... walking the track. Pretty sure I got close to 40,000 steps.

Can confirm I didn't pick up 1.5kg of tyre rubber though
Old 8 Aug 2024, 11:32 (Ref:4222154)   #1119
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Oh I'd manage fine. The one thing I surely wouldn't need is your assistance at any point.
Old 15 Aug 2024, 23:41 (Ref:4222841)   #1120
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
To say cheated is hysterical and exaggerating, it little like Colin Chapman saying a F1 car should fall apart at the end of each race (ie dont put anything on it that lasts more than race distance) they want the car to pass scrute weights etc after the race, but not by much!
THis time they fell slightly over the line, and so were declared out. A bit like track limits, over is over. Its not cheating, but thats the rules, fair cop.

F1 teams will always sail as close to the rules allow, find loopholes and wriggle room and clever ways to do things that arent specifically forbidden in the rules. THats what gives us innovations and new creative designs.
Old 17 Aug 2024, 15:28 (Ref:4222956)   #1121
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
To say cheated is hysterical and exaggerating, it little like Colin Chapman saying a F1 car should fall apart at the end of each race (ie dont put anything on it that lasts more than race distance) they want the car to pass scrute weights etc after the race, but not by much!
THis time they fell slightly over the line, and so were declared out. A bit like track limits, over is over. Its not cheating, but thats the rules, fair cop.

F1 teams will always sail as close to the rules allow, find loopholes and wriggle room and clever ways to do things that arent specifically forbidden in the rules. THats what gives us innovations and new creative designs.
Old 18 Aug 2024, 11:40 (Ref:4223040)   #1122
Mark Galea
Rookie

Malta
Malta
Mark Galea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After Lewis going to Ferrari idk
Old 31 Aug 2024, 12:14 (Ref:4224550)   #1123
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Never thought I'd ever use this sentence:

Kimi to Mercedes!

Well done young Mr Antonelli. That's a big seat to fill.